Which studio besides Toei would you like DB to be animated by?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Which studio besides Toei would you like DB to be animated by?

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:09 am

I would just like it if Toei made a soft reboot of Super with Yamamuro re-designing every character (based from Toriyama's designs) with better shading, better colors and removing any trace of shiny highlights from all characters (except for Golden Freezer)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:03 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:WB animation so Bruce Timm can make his depraved sex fantasies about Dragon Ball characters become a reality :lol:
A Dragon Ball series with Bruce Timm's style would be interesting. His style is probably my favourite style in superhero animation.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm just going to reiterate what Ajay previously said, because so many people got confused and misunderstood of how the anime really works within the animation industry. It can be tiring trying to explain to people with as much information as I can put out and hoping the said people will take it, making it worth my time. I even had one guy coming over to Young Soon's Twitter saying Toei was a terrible studio. The entire process of creating animation and how it was made through the whole thing is actually really complicated and cannot be explained in just a few simple paragraph, although if you take time into actually researching it, it can become easier and you create an meaningful discussion. I'm not trying to act high and mighty, even if I sounded like it, but really, only Ajay, Jacob, Saikyo, and myself among a few others knew what we were talking about, because we actually researched it and talk to some of staff who works in the Japanese industry. Those people who researched it made some blogs to help those who wished to understand and learn how anime is made, and quite frankly, it's really fascinating. You might say it's a gem. Ordinarily, the Japanese animation industry was kept dark, since the earlier days of Internet was still infant, until recently when people started to really be interested about how it was made. Thanks to them, we now know how things got organized and processed.

So, with that said, the studios really doesn't matter. That wouldn't make for a valid point were we living in the past, because back in the old days the studios were prominent, because that's where the well known and talented animators were contracted to do some projects. Nowadays, the studios serve no purpose other than hiring some freelancers to work on some projects. The people weren't meant to stay there for a long periods of time, like they used to. Take Seigasha Studio for an example. Kazuya Hisada and Masahiro Shimanuki were a part of a group of talented key animators that made up Seigasha. They were sub-contracted to do some work on Dragon Ball and each of different studios would take a turn after them to work on an episode they were contracted to. They don't do that anymore, because more and more key animators became freelancers as are key animators and directors. Shimanuki now works for Toei as is Takeo Ide. Naotoshi Shida, who used to work at Studo Live under Masayuki Uchiyama, is a freelancer now. That's where Ajay's point about individuality came from. Essentially, the connection between the directors and talented key animators has become the main focus in creating a project in today's industry. The series directors now need to contact the freelancers in order to have them on board for a project. Tatsuya Nagamine would have to ask Shida to come work for him, for instance. A project also need enough staff in order for the anime to continue running. Without enough staff, an episode can collapse and it can make the staff's life harder. There are not enough animators in the industry to support all projects Toei was contracted, which is partially why Super is struggling a little bit right now. A seasonal anime is easier because it doesn't last long. A long-running anime is an entirely different beast.

Now you have to deal with the schedule as well. This is extremely important in maintaining the outlook quality of an animated TV series. It doesn't matter which studio animates Dragon Ball. As long as you have a favorable schedule and planning in place, the production of a long-running TV series will be healthy enough and we wouldn't have to worry about it as much every week. For instance, Toei has a healthy production for One Piece, but Dragon Ball Super, on other hand, did not receive the same treatment, because the production committees rushed things in order for it to have a slot for Fuji TV. Precure, also Toei's project, had an excellent schedule. Had these same scenarios been placed in a different studio, Madhouse for example, the results would have been the same. Naruto had one of the healthiest schedule in comparison to other anime. Pierrot has nothing to do with the schedule. The production committee was prudent enough to place it in a favorable position and its series directors had some excellent connection to the talented key animators and storyboarders. So, it really doesn't matter where the projects ended up at; as long as the schedule has been placed, the results could go either way.

The parties involved in producing an anime pay the studios to animate the TV series. They are the ones who have the final say, not studios.

In short, all scenarios have to be played right in order for the long-running anime to be successful.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:49 pm

There's a few studios I'd like to see take a crack at DB, but none more than Sunrise. It may be because I love Gundam, but they're good. Plus, we already know they have a general idea of how things should look!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:51 pm

cheddarsword wrote:There's a few studios I'd like to see take a crack at DB, but none more than Sunrise. It may be because I love Gundam, but they're good. Plus, we already know they have a general idea of how things should look!
I don't blame you for wanting Sunrise to animate DB. They do a great job when it comes to detail.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:55 am

Ufo table.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu May 17, 2018 4:37 pm

PeanutSaiyan wrote:Ufotable.
Their animation on Heaven's Feel was high quality. They also did Toriko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopdtKG5nXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ApyMflePPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-l-g5_AyIY
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:57 am

TMS and OLM are the only other studios I can see capturing Toriyama's style well besides Toei. Though realistically, any of these studios could hire artists that can capture that style.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:58 pm

Since Namco Bandai is already with the Franchise through games I could see Sunrise takes few Spin Off on their plate.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:29 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:
PeanutSaiyan wrote:Ufotable.
Their animation on Heaven's Feel was high quality. They also did Toriko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopdtKG5nXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ApyMflePPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-l-g5_AyIY
Toriko was a Toei show.

Unless your talking about some other Toriko.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:48 am

cheddarsword wrote:There's a few studios I'd like to see take a crack at DB, but none more than Sunrise. It may be because I love Gundam, but they're good. Plus, we already know they have a general idea of how things should look!
8000 Saiyan wrote:
I don't blame you for wanting Sunrise to animate DB. They do a great job when it comes to detail.
Sunrise makes sense since Bandai Namco own Sunrise, and who are the third wheel to yield Dragon Ball it's Bandai Namco. The trinity being Shueisha/Toei/Bandai Namco.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:54 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sunrise makes sense since Bandai Namco own Sunrise, and who are the third wheel to yield Dragon Ball it's Bandai Namco. The trinity being Shueisha/Toei/Bandai Namco.
Oh yes, Sunrise :D
They died a great job with Aikatsu! too.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:58 am

Sunrise made Gndam that's also for Mecha:

Cyborg 009 in association with Toei Company
Armored Trooper Votoms (I never watched it but even I know that this show was good)
Blue Comet SPT Layzner
Heavy Metal L-Gaim
Metal Armor Dragonar
The Vision of Escaflowne
The Brave Series
Betterman
The Big O
Gear Fighter Dendoh
Argento Soma
Overman King Gainer
Z.O.E. Dolores,i
Code Geass in association with CLAMP
Cross Ange

Also in non so much Mecha they made:

Dirty Pair
City Hunter
Yoroiden Samurai Troopers
Future GPX Cyber Formula
Outlaw Star
s-CRY-ed
Tiger & Bunny
Inuyasha
Gintama
Love Live!
Yakitate!! Japan

Do I need to say more ? Sunrise is the only logical second choice Period !!! :mrgreen: :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:43 pm

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I thought Toei outsourced all of their animation? Or are those studios owned by them?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:29 am

KBABZ wrote:Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I thought Toei outsourced all of their animation? Or are those studios owned by them?
They do have in-house animators. They just produce so much content all at once that the only way to keep up is to sub-contract. TAP (Toei Animation Philippines) handles most of their in-betweens, second key animation and coloring. They also rely heavily on freelance animators, like Shida Naotoshi.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf