"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 17, 2018 10:57 am

I hope Shintani stick around as character design for several projects Dragon Ball anime related. The guy has got the style of old school prime Toriyama down to a patent.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu May 17, 2018 11:49 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I hope Shintani stick around as character design for several projects Dragon Ball anime related. The guy has got the style of old school prime Toriyama down to a patent.
He HAS to stick around. Toriyama specifically chose him, didn't he? Hopefully that's a sign that he'll be in this position for good
Get Fucked, C_unt

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu May 17, 2018 11:52 am

Some key things to remember
They started work on the designs back in February of 2017, almost 2 years before the movie's release.
They were doing auditions for the role months before they even had an idea for a movie.
Toriyama hand picked Shintani.

Shintani is likely a permanent replacement for Yamamuro.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 17, 2018 12:02 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Some key things to remember
They started work on the designs back in February of 2017, almost 2 years before the movie's release.
They were doing auditions for the role months before they even had an idea for a movie.

I can sleep easy now.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 17, 2018 1:24 pm

The new character designs in VJump this month make me so happy! I love the new colors for Vegeta's armor, everyone's hair and that they fixed the slightly off feature placement on Gokû. Good stuff!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:Some key things to remember

I can sleep easy now.
I think we all can!!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:28 pm

I feel the proportions in the new art fix every problem I had with the initial key art.

The pants aren't overly baggy, and the legs are a bit shorter in length, and the face isn't too small compared to the rest of his head. Plus, the facial features are placed perfectly now, and the hair isn't as overly long either. I also like how the muscles don't look bubbly here. The first image had overly round muscles that don't sit well with me.

Also, Vegeta looks great. I love the Gundam RG-esque multi tone of white going on in his armor.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: I can sleep easy now.
Isn't it a bit too early to go to sleep? Tired from a day of destroying, Lord B? :P

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Thoughts:

Thank God, the Zero Highlights Plan has finally begun! All of the them look great and full of life!

Looks like they're using Freeza arc as reference.
Goku is using his belt like back then and Vegeta's design and colors remind me of his design in Freeza Arc.

That Base Goku's face design is better than the first one.

Looks like Toriyama was right:
One thing Toriyama told them to watch out for when auditioning a new character designer was if they could make a character look cool standing straight facing forward. It’s easier to make a character look cool facing to one side, but they often look awkward facing straight ahead. So whether or not they could draw Goku's face was irrelevant, since if they had real artistic skill they could simply learn that later.
Now I hope it's the same thing in the Movie and he doesn't have any feature placement problems that reminds me of Luffy. Shintani is working on DB now. :wink:
I need to see how everything looks in motion, because I'm not satisfied with the first teaser.

As for the colors, I think the first Shintani SSJ Goku we got in V-Jump cover is closer to how he will look like with the aura.
Usually Saiyans outfit/hair color tones change when they are using/not using aura in SSJ. This new one seems more appropriate to when they don't have it.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu May 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Character designs looking much better than what we initially saw in the teaser, although the almost complete lack of shading on Base Goku still gets on my nerves. Shading on the SSJ version is far better. This style is far better than Super's, but far worse than Buu arc designs/Takahashi designs IMO.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I feel the proportions in the new art fix every problem I had with the initial key art.

The pants aren't overly baggy, and the legs are a bit shorter in length, and the face isn't too small compared to the rest of his head. Plus, the facial features are placed perfectly now, and the hair isn't as overly long either. I also like how the muscles don't look bubbly here. The first image had overly round muscles that don't sit well with me.

Also, Vegeta looks great. I love the Gundam RG-esque multi tone of white going on in his armor.
Wow, talk about night and day. The character sheet looks so much more relaxed. I'm beginning to wonder if that poster was even Shintani, because the sheet matches the initial PV much more.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 5:10 pm

I just especially love the way the boots are drawn!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu May 17, 2018 5:14 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:I feel the proportions in the new art fix every problem I had with the initial key art.

Wow, talk about night and day. The character sheet looks so much more relaxed. I'm beginning to wonder if that poster was even Shintani, because the sheet matches the initial PV much more.
Perhaps the promo art was Shintani's initial audition for the role? It would make sense considering how vastly different they are to the final designs, as well as some of Toriyama's comments on him looking for someone who had balance as opposed to just being able to draw dragonball.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Thu May 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Idk how I feel about that Goku art now tbh. I might be in the minority, but I prefer the version we got first. The design in those sheets are giving Yamamuro vibes, however, less stiff.

It may be just the low resolution tho. It still looks good nonetheless.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu May 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Man...this is such a good day for me. The new designs look amazing. Perfect balance of everything. I could not be any happier. Bless Shintani :)

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu May 17, 2018 6:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wow, talk about night and day. The character sheet looks so much more relaxed. I'm beginning to wonder if that poster was even Shintani, because the sheet matches the initial PV much more.
The PV was still seemingly pretty off model.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu May 17, 2018 7:10 pm

I like the second goku design better, his ups surpasses his downs, I have a complaint in the neck area though, it's too thin to be honest, it doesn't keep consistency with the other muscles in a guy that works out

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 pm

This looks so close to the manga designs in the Saiyan/Frieza sagas
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Fri May 18, 2018 1:30 am

cuartas wrote:I like the second goku design better, his ups surpasses his downs, I have a complaint in the neck area though, it's too thin to be honest, it doesn't keep consistency with the other muscles in a guy that works out
But it makes him look younger, and more spryly, something I'm very fond of for Goku who is a Grandpa at this point.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri May 18, 2018 8:16 am

A Man named RJ wrote:
cuartas wrote:I like the second goku design better, his ups surpasses his downs, I have a complaint in the neck area though, it's too thin to be honest, it doesn't keep consistency with the other muscles in a guy that works out
But it makes him look younger, and more spryly, something I'm very fond of for Goku who is a Grandpa at this point.
Well, they have been saying for years that Saiyans are much older than they look, so I don't really see a problem here. It's in line with the lore.
Get Fucked, C_unt