Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toxin45
Regular

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Toxin45 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:20 am

Artorias wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Not sure what this is referencing.

You know what other concepts?
Anything. Literally anything other than the Saiyans. How about the literal INFINITE possibilities that they've created with the 12 universes? It's so bizarre. They have a chance to really delve into awesome new locals, concepts, characters, etc. and every time they just fall back on Freeza/Saiyans. It happened with Resurrection F after Battle of Gods opened up the DB universe, it happened with the Black arc after the U6 tournament finally started exploring new content, and it's happening again now after the ToP dickteased us all with these new characters.
TheOne wrote:
Why can’t they change up the uniforms again? I don’t care how iconic it is, a little change never hurt anyone. Even Luffy changed his clothes after awhile. There was nothing wrong with their wardrobe change in the Frieza arc.
I wouldn't really have a problem with the clothes thing if it weren't for the fact that they dickteased us with a clothes change in RoF, and then just randomly for no apparent reason changed them back. That was honestly really bizarre and unnecessary. I don't remember anyone particularly complaining about the new clothes, and they weren't even that different to begin with, so I don't get why they went back.
Well this takes place before the end of z stuff dude and also the 12 universe will be after this movie planet salada arc,universe 2,and universe 11 are the only universes that would be focused the rest would probably be filler

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat May 19, 2018 4:40 am

Toxin45 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
Anything. Literally anything other than the Saiyans. How about the literal INFINITE possibilities that they've created with the 12 universes? It's so bizarre. They have a chance to really delve into awesome new locals, concepts, characters, etc. and every time they just fall back on Freeza/Saiyans. It happened with Resurrection F after Battle of Gods opened up the DB universe, it happened with the Black arc after the U6 tournament finally started exploring new content, and it's happening again now after the ToP dickteased us all with these new characters.
TheOne wrote:
Why can’t they change up the uniforms again? I don’t care how iconic it is, a little change never hurt anyone. Even Luffy changed his clothes after awhile. There was nothing wrong with their wardrobe change in the Frieza arc.
I wouldn't really have a problem with the clothes thing if it weren't for the fact that they dickteased us with a clothes change in RoF, and then just randomly for no apparent reason changed them back. That was honestly really bizarre and unnecessary. I don't remember anyone particularly complaining about the new clothes, and they weren't even that different to begin with, so I don't get why they went back.
Well this takes place before the end of z stuff dude and also the 12 universe will be after this movie planet salada arc,universe 2,and universe 11 are the only universes that would be focused the rest would probably be filler
Ok, but you have to realize that we've been waiting to truly explore the 12 universe for literally all of Super. We waited 2+ years, and never really got anywhere of any depth. There's only so long you can keep going "don't worry they'll get to it eventually" before people start throwing their hands up in the air in disappointment.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat May 19, 2018 4:42 am

Since outfits is a topic right now, I'm also in the camp of them having new outfits for the movie. Goku and Vegeta's Resurrection: F outfits were great and had a more sleek modern look that worked quite well, but then they had to go back to their Battle of God's outfits (with the manga making Goku have his Cell/Buu saga gi to make it even worse) when this time period was a good way to kind of convert them into their End of Z outfits.

If they don't want the Resurrection: F outfits, fine, but at least shake it up a bit. Hell, use the new Dragon Ball Heroes outfits that were designed, where Goku's combines both outfits together, and Vegeta has some old fashioned Saiyan side armor with his outfit.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sat May 19, 2018 5:07 am

Grimlock wrote:
Dragono wrote:First of all, Heroes also brought Freeza back, in fact that was where we learned that Goku and Freeza would be fighting Jiren together in the end last year. Second of all They also brought Cooler, Broly and Trunks back and many more. Third of all, the universal survival arc is heroes version of the one in the show. Fourth of all, Dragon ball the anime already went to the demon realm back in the 80's and Fifth of all, the time patrol went back to our time and saved events that we already saw.

Dragon ball heroes doesn't cover new ground, its literally fanfiction events of the old one.
First of all: Heroes indeed brings back Freeza, but he's not the only one as you mentioned. Most of the times he shares the spotlight with someone else and sometimes he isn't even the major villain, he is more a pawn in the grand scheme that is occurring.

Second of all: We don't know anything about this "universal survival arc version" thing. We only know that there will be an anime that will adapt/focus on the Prison Planet saga.

Third of all: What do we learn about the Demon Realm back in the 80s?

Fourth of all: All Dragon Ball works these days are literally fanfiction and cover stuff that were already covered before.
Then why did he say, Heroes is covering new ground?

Oh no, I'm not talking about the arc that has yet to be revealed that their animating, I'm talking about the one in the trailer back in 2017, you know the one with Freeza in it

Goku went there to save a princess from a demon fighter when he was a kid back in Filler in early dragon ball. You can say its not the exact same thing but then again the Tournament of power wasn't exactly a tournament but we still treat as such

You know damn well, that doesn't make it better. People are getting mad the movie just for having Freeza in it! Plus he shared the spotlight in TOP as well and he shared the spotlight with his dad back in the Cell saga.

Its true that Dragon ball seems to be a lot of like fanfic material nowadays but don't act like Heroes doesn't take it to a level Super can even touch. They have literally character inserts WHO GO SUPER SAIYAN BLUE!!!!!!

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 am

TheOne wrote:
Dragono wrote:
TheOne wrote:
You mean 12 years besides every hero has their signature accessory. Natsu has his scarf, Luffy has his straw hat and Goku has his gi.
For starters don’t even mention Natsu in a conversation about Goku and Luffy. He’s not in their league.

Your comparison is ridiculous. Luffy is known in the series for his straw hat. Not his outfits. This may blow your mind, but it’s very possible that Goku could keep his orange and blue outfit and still get a makeover. I highly doubt Gokus going to be unrecognizable if they change his outfit after 20 plus years. :roll:
Isn't this his turtle hermit Gi?

Also Luffy was none for his red shirt and blue shorts, my friend.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sat May 19, 2018 5:14 am

Artorias wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Not sure what this is referencing.

TheOne wrote:
They brought them back for U6 and never again so it might be a money thing, they may not have sold well.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat May 19, 2018 5:17 am

Dragono wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
TheOne wrote:
They brought them back for U6 and never again so it might be a money thing, they may not have sold well.
You're probably right. It all comes back to marketing with this franchise nowadays.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 19, 2018 9:20 am

Dragono wrote:Then why did he say, Heroes is covering new ground?
Because it is. I don't remember seeing a character like Fu before in the franchise, I don't remember seeing planets being imprisoned in the franchise before. I don't remember seeing anything that is happening in Prison Planet saga before in the franchise other than the search for the Dragon Balls, and this isn't even a bad thing, because the very name and true nature of this franchise are Dragon Ball(s), an adventure. Something that is present in Heroes' last two set of missions (SDBH and UM). I think it goes without saying that it is way much interesting than holding tournaments after tournaments where generally there's no plot at all and there's nothing really going on in those kind of events.
Dragono wrote:Goku went there to save a princess from a demon fighter when he was a kid back in Filler in early dragon ball.
Is that it? All we know about Demon Realm is that Goku saved a princess there? Then sorry, Heroes, once again, is doing a better job. We know and see more of the Demon Realm through the games than through the main series itself.
Dragono wrote:You know damn well, that doesn't make it better. People are getting mad the movie just for having Freeza in it! Plus he shared the spotlight in TOP as well and he shared the spotlight with his dad back in the Cell saga.
Yes it does. Because what truly matters is not who's the villain who is back, is what they do to him. Freeza was marvelous in Universe Survival saga, that is where he should have come back for the first time, not in Movie 15, which is a utterly crap work that shouldn't have been created at all. And all Freeza's reappearances in Heroes were okay, as he was involved in an interesting plot but he was not the greatest villain upon his reappearance, like I said, he was a pawn in the grand scheme. This makes you buy his return.
Dragono wrote:Its true that Dragon ball seems to be a lot of like fanfic material nowadays but don't act like Heroes doesn't take it to a level Super can even touch. They have literally character inserts WHO GO SUPER SAIYAN BLUE!!!!!!
Of course not, Dragon Ball Super (actually any work that Toriyama is involved) can never reach Heroes' level of awesomeness. The main series is stuck in the same storytelling over and over, while Heroes does bring new content.

Yeah they have your characters, avatars, transforming into Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. What's the big deal here? I find it funny that people complained a lot that the avatars couldn't transform into said transformation, and now that they can, people bash the games for it? I mean and you will forgive me, but this is a completely idiotic thing to complain, to use as an argument as if it was a bad thing, isn't?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat May 19, 2018 10:10 am

Dragono wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
TheOne wrote:
It wasn't a "money thing" DBS never got marketed until after the Trunks arc which incidentally was when all DBS RF Gi merch started coming..., these are what we've had from 2017 onwards:
[spoiler]Image
Some RF Gi Goku paired with Rosé Black...
Even Gigantic series:
Image[/spoiler]

Can people seriously stop thinking an explanation for something in DBS might be down to merch, it honestly drives me up the wall barely anything of DBS that could have been marketed has, hell DBS didn't even get properly marketing until after it's 4th arc! The 2nd new material arc. Every creative decision Toei made was made by them for them alone, hell Ultra Instinct wasn't even originally part of the U.S arc plans. Vegeta's new form hasn't even been marketed yet and it will be 11 months and counting since his new form appeared.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat May 19, 2018 10:41 am

Dragono wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Dragono wrote: You mean 12 years besides every hero has their signature accessory. Natsu has his scarf, Luffy has his straw hat and Goku has his gi.
For starters don’t even mention Natsu in a conversation about Goku and Luffy. He’s not in their league.

Your comparison is ridiculous. Luffy is known in the series for his straw hat. Not his outfits. This may blow your mind, but it’s very possible that Goku could keep his orange and blue outfit and still get a makeover. I highly doubt Gokus going to be unrecognizable if they change his outfit after 20 plus years. :roll:

His Straw hat is more iconic than his red shirt. Nobody ever mentioned anything else about him aside from his straw hat. With that being said, his shirt went from short sleeve to long sleeve. Which honestly looks better. You can definitely change his outfit up as well.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sat May 19, 2018 11:44 am

Grimlock wrote:
Dragono wrote:Then why did he say, Heroes is covering new ground?
Because it is. I don't remember seeing a character like Fu before in the franchise, I don't remember seeing planets being imprisoned in the franchise before. I don't remember seeing anything that is happening in Prison Planet saga before in the franchise other than the search for the Dragon Balls, and this isn't even a bad thing, because the very name and true nature of this franchise are Dragon Ball(s), an adventure. Something that is present in Heroes' last two set of missions (SDBH and UM). I think it goes without saying that it is way much interesting than holding tournaments after tournaments where generally there's no plot at all and there's nothing really going on in those kind of events.
Dragono wrote:Goku went there to save a princess from a demon fighter when he was a kid back in Filler in early dragon ball.
Is that it? All we know about Demon Realm is that Goku saved a princess there? Then sorry, Heroes, once again, is doing a better job. We know and see more of the Demon Realm through the games than through the main series itself.
Dragono wrote:You know damn well, that doesn't make it better. People are getting mad the movie just for having Freeza in it! Plus he shared the spotlight in TOP as well and he shared the spotlight with his dad back in the Cell saga.
Yes it does. Because what truly matters is not who's the villain who is back, is what they do to him. Freeza was marvelous in Universe Survival saga, that is where he should have come back for the first time, not in Movie 15, which is a utterly crap work that shouldn't have been created at all. And all Freeza's reappearances in Heroes were okay, as he was involved in an interesting plot but he was not the greatest villain upon his reappearance, like I said, he was a pawn in the grand scheme. This makes you buy his return.
Dragono wrote:Its true that Dragon ball seems to be a lot of like fanfic material nowadays but don't act like Heroes doesn't take it to a level Super can even touch. They have literally character inserts WHO GO SUPER SAIYAN BLUE!!!!!!
Of course not, Dragon Ball Super (actually any work that Toriyama is involved) can never reach Heroes' level of awesomeness. The main series is stuck in the same storytelling over and over, while Heroes does bring new content.

Yeah they have your characters, avatars, transforming into Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. What's the big deal here? I find it funny that people complained a lot that the avatars couldn't transform into said transformation, and now that they can, people bash the games for it? I mean and you will forgive me, but this is a completely idiotic thing to complain, to use as an argument as if it was a bad thing, isn't?
1. Fu isn't from heroes, he is from online. A game Toriyama worked on. Cooler also did the imprisoned Planet first back in his second, movie,heroes is just doing it bigger. Adventure is also not Dragon ball's theme. Its fighting, thats Goku is known for and thats what it always comes down to. Goku only went on 2 adventures in all of ball, the first arc and the second and neither are fan favorites, Also Dragon ball had 4 tournaments, 2 of them back to back and most of them were the same.

2. No, Goku actually went in there and got her back. We did see it. It's also irrelevant if Heores is doing it better, it didn't do it first aka its not new.

3.No, it doesn't matter. Once it was revealed Freeza was in the TOP, people were enraged. The episode haven't even aired yet. Ask anything about what it was like when Freeza popped in the preview. Yes, people liked him later down the line but first responses were not good.

4.Whats so awesome about Bardock beating a super saiyan 4 Gogeta? You know damn well, if Caulifla and Kale had gone ssj blue, you would not be ok with it. I wouldn't

I'm not arguing whether heroes is good or bad, I'm telling you that its not new, They just give old characters, old transformations and make them fight each other or take material from old work, like most of the movies did.

Let me put it to you in simpler terms, Kale is a character that heroes would have done and its exactly why people hate her.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sat May 19, 2018 11:45 am

TheOne wrote:
Dragono wrote:
TheOne wrote:

His Straw hat is more iconic than his red shirt. Nobody ever mentioned anything else about him aside from his straw hat. With that being said, his shirt went from short sleeve to long sleeve. Which honestly looks better. You can definitely change his outfit up as well.
I perfer the one he had in Sabody, honestly.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Dragono wrote:3.No, it doesn't matter. Once it was revealed Freeza was in the TOP, people were enraged. The episode haven't even aired yet. Ask anything about what it was like when Freeza popped in the preview. Yes, people liked him later down the line but first responses were not good.
What's your point here? Obviously people wouldn't like Freeza's return, he had just returned in a terrible work, he was trashed in the same movie and in the end his character became saturated until Universe Survival saga kind of fixed that. It doesn't matter the first reactions, it matters the conclusion, what came next, the performance that the character had. Heroes can use Freeza over and over whatever they feel like it, if the plot he's involved is good, then his return won't bother at all. He is still a saturated character, but he is a bearable one now.
Dragono wrote:4.Whats so awesome about Bardock beating a super saiyan 4 Gogeta? You know damn well,
Yeah, I know damn well that Time Breaker Bardock didn't beat Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta at all. I also know that those animated trailers are purely for marketing, what matters is what happens in the game, and in the game, Time Breaker Bardock doesn't even meet Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta.
Dragono wrote:Let me put it to you in simpler terms, Kale is a character that heroes would have done and its exactly why people hate her.
No, people hate her because she doesn't contribute at all other than for merchandising purposes, was created solely to please Broly fans, purely out of fanservice. And she's an annoying character altogether.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat May 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragono wrote:
Artorias wrote:

It wasn't a "money thing" DBS never got marketed until after the Trunks arc which incidentally was when all DBS RF Gi merch started coming..., these are what we've had from 2017 onwards:
[spoiler]Image
Even Gigantic series:
Image[/spoiler]

Can people seriously stop thinking an explanation for something in DBS might be down to merch, it honestly drives me up the wall barely anything of DBS that could have been marketed has, hell DBS didn't even get properly marketing until after it's 4th arc! The 2nd new material arc. Every creative decision Toei made was made by them for them alone, hell Ultra Instinct wasn't even originally part of the U.S arc plans. Vegeta's new form hasn't even been marketed yet and it will be 11 months and counting since his new form appeared.
I'm glad someone finally understands that Super isn't just a toy commercial.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat May 19, 2018 5:34 pm

I’m curious to see how much this movie will make in the U.S., if it gets a theatrical release here. RF managed to make nearly as much as DBE, despite only being a limited release, and I would have to assume that Dragon Ball is even more popular now than it was in 2015. I even remember some people having said that they would like for this movie to have a wide release in the U.S. Is it possible that a Dragon Ball movie could sustain that?

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat May 19, 2018 6:47 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragono wrote: They brought them back for U6 and never again so it might be a money thing, they may not have sold well.
[spoiler]Image
Even Gigantic series:
Image[/spoiler]

I hate that as well

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat May 19, 2018 7:34 pm

Meshack wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: It wasn't a "money thing" DBS never got marketed until after the Trunks arc which incidentally was when all DBS RF Gi merch started coming..., these are what we've had from 2017 onwards:
[spoiler]Image
Even Gigantic series:
Image[/spoiler]

I hate that as well
Hoenstly drives me up the wall. I think people just see how well DB does in the money department and just automatically think that the merchandising people run the franchise all of a sudden. Goku's big new form wasn't even part of the original plans for the arc and it wasn't even part of the main U.S arc marketing/merch promotion instead was SSGSS for the 4th arc in a row too. Hell Goku's form was kept quiet until the final month of DBS while everyone fell for "Omen".

The handling of Goku's new form should rubbish any idea that people have that DBS was somesort of "toy commercial". The merch was nothing more than the by product of the series not the otherway around.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat May 19, 2018 11:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: This Movie seems to be just more stuff about Saiyans and Freeza, while Heroes anime will actually cover new ground.
Aren't you a little curious about the new Saiyan lore, while the race is overused it could lead to good stories with the right execution,does the Bardock special ring a bell.
Last edited by The gr on Sat May 19, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat May 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Meshack wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I'm glad someone finally understands that Super isn't just a toy commercial.
I hate that as well
Hoenstly drives me up the wall. I think people just see how well DB does in the money department and just automatically think that the merchandising people run the franchise all of a sudden. Goku's big new form wasn't even part of the original plans for the arc and it wasn't even part of the main U.S arc marketing/merch promotion instead was SSGSS for the 4th arc in a row too. Hell Goku's form was kept quiet until the final month of DBS while everyone fell for "Omen".

The handling of Goku's new form should rubbish any idea that people have that DBS was somesort of "toy commercial". The merch was nothing more than the by product of the series not the otherway around.
Wait, where was it said that Ultra Instinct wasn’t part of the original plans?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 20, 2018 6:09 am

Meshack wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Meshack wrote: I hate that as well

Wait, where was it said that Ultra Instinct wasn’t part of the original plans?
In the interview with the producers didn't they say when they were planning the special that Toriyama gave them the idea for UI?