Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Z » Fri May 18, 2018 9:15 am

shadowmaria wrote:Pretty sure just the Prison Planet arc. But for this to make sense to general audiences, some further clarification will need to be made about that world.
I think the Prison Planet arc was chosen exactly because it works as a jump-in point for people who only have watched Super. It has the Super characters meeting the Time Patrol stuff for the first time, so any explanations easily would make sense in-context, since everything would be new for the Super cast. It likely can work as a standalone special (especially if it's getting multiple episodes).

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:36 am

But what about the dark demon realm and demon empire arcs before it? Will it get adapted though? Also hope that beat and note along with the other avatars will be in it.

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Fri May 18, 2018 6:11 pm

majinwarman wrote:I wonder if Yamamuro will on the Heroes PR anime? I think he should considering he is not on the Super movie and needs something to do.
If he is then I hope the Heroes anime has a long, fruitful existence and keeps him occupied for years to come.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 18, 2018 6:45 pm

Toxin45 wrote:But what about the dark demon realm and demon empire arcs before it?
I don't think so as it's being made to promote the current arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri May 18, 2018 6:46 pm

Lupin Vegeta wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I wonder if Yamamuro will on the Heroes PR anime? I think he should considering he is not on the Super movie and needs something to do.
If he is then I hope the Heroes anime has a long, fruitful existence and keeps him occupied for years to come.
I'm not a fan of Heroes so I don't really care how long it lasts.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:27 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Lupin Vegeta wrote:
I'm not a fan of Heroes so I don't really care how long it lasts.
Did you even seen it?

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri May 18, 2018 7:48 pm

majinwarman wrote:I'm not a fan of Heroes so I don't really care how long it lasts.
Come on man, you're not a fan of King Vegeta being stronger than Beerus due to the power of a mask? :lol:
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:37 pm

I hope the Heroes anime is not just some 10 episode thing. Since the Heroes arcade game has many stories to it, you can make a full season based on any of those arcs alone.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 pm

Logania wrote:Come on man, you're not a fan of King Vegeta being stronger than Beerus due to the power of a mask?
Huh!? Where did you see that?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 18, 2018 11:35 pm

There's no confirmation that that Dark Masked King Vegeta is stronger than Beerus. It was an assumption from someone without proper context of all the relevant pages of the source material. King Vegeta has just grown stronger and wants to go back in time to get revenge on Freeza and Beerus. (Whether he can actually defeat the latter is unknown).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri May 18, 2018 11:41 pm

Grimlock wrote:Huh!? Where did you see that?
I was just poking fun at the manga where-
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:There's no confirmation that that Dark Masked King Vegeta is stronger than Beerus. It was an assumption from someone without proper context of all the relevant pages of the source material. King Vegeta has just grown stronger and wants to go back in time to get revenge on Freeza and Beerus. (Whether he can actually defeat the latter is unknown).
This, essentially. Where he believes with his new power he can go back before the planet was destroyed and kill Freeza and Beerus.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sat May 19, 2018 11:46 am

Logania wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I'm not a fan of Heroes so I don't really care how long it lasts.
Come on man, you're not a fan of King Vegeta being stronger than Beerus due to the power of a mask? :lol:
thats not what was said or how it worked, so go you for missing that

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat May 19, 2018 3:18 pm

You know, with this new Heroes anime, if we don't get Super Saiyan Pan, I'm gonna be Suuuupeeeer disappointed.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:You know, with this new Heroes anime, if we don't get Super Saiyan Pan, I'm gonna be Suuuupeeeer disappointed.
Well Pan didn't get super saiyan in the heroes games though though I wonder about the avatars like Beat and Note will be in it.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat May 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Logania wrote:
It's not something I find interesting.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:08 pm

I watch the promo videos for DB Heroes on YouTube when they pop up. There's some wild and crazy shit that I'd like to know more about. So as long as this isn't replacing DB Super, the continuation of the series proper, I'm fine with it. In fact, I'm looking forward to it.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Sun May 20, 2018 4:36 am

Y'know, I'm not angry about this existing, I'm just kind of sad. This is the fifth Dragon Ball anime (though whether or not it's a full-length TV anime is yet to be determined), and it's nothing but a big dumb advertisement for an arcade game that's been sucking tens of thousands of yen from Japanese kids since 2010. Super's artistic integrity was pretty questionable to begin with, but this more than anything screams to me that Dragon Ball's rotting corpse is being puppeteered by a bunch of cigar-chomping suits. Obviously Dragon Ball was never high art or anything like that, but at least it used to be a series created by a man and his assistants, now it's just another gigantic multimedia franchise that's never ever gonna die. Maybe this'll be a fun show, I can't say for certain that I'm not going to enjoy it, but it's just fucking heartbreaking to see Dragon Ball lose it's soul like the Simpsons did.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun May 20, 2018 7:49 am

KinguKurimuzon wrote:Y'know, I'm not angry about this existing, I'm just kind of sad. This is the fifth Dragon Ball anime (though whether or not it's a full-length TV anime is yet to be determined), and it's nothing but a big dumb advertisement for an arcade game that's been sucking tens of thousands of yen from Japanese kids since 2010. Super's artistic integrity was pretty questionable to begin with, but this more than anything screams to me that Dragon Ball's rotting corpse is being puppeteered by a bunch of cigar-chomping suits. Obviously Dragon Ball was never high art or anything like that, but at least it used to be a series created by a man and his assistants, now it's just another gigantic multimedia franchise that's never ever gonna die. Maybe this'll be a fun show, I can't say for certain that I'm not going to enjoy it, but it's just fucking heartbreaking to see Dragon Ball lose it's soul like the Simpsons did.
Toriyama is still working on the serie and we have a movie coming out this December, written by him, that will stay true to the serie. I don’t find anything wrong with them producing a few episodes of Heroes to promote the videogame and give fans some fanservice. As long as Heroes’ bullshit stays in Heroes without infecting the main canon, I’m more than fine with it and I’m actually looking forward to this.
Honestly, I wouldn’t mind it if they produced a weekly Heroes show they can fill with fanservice, with Toriyama continuing his story with a new movie every year. I obviously would rather see Super coming back with Shintani’s designs and a good schedule, but writing wise I don’t want to see bad and blatant fanservice in a main serie anymore, so if Heroes finally served that purpose I would welcome it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 20, 2018 7:58 am

KinguKurimuzon wrote:This is the fifth Dragon Ball anime, and it's nothing but a big dumb advertisement for an arcade game that's been sucking tens of thousands of yen from Japanese kids since 2010. Super's artistic integrity was pretty questionable to begin with, but this more than anything screams to me that Dragon Ball's rotting corpse is being puppeteered by a bunch of cigar-chomping suits. Obviously Dragon Ball was never high art or anything like that, but at least it used to be a series created by a man and his assistants, now it's just another gigantic multimedia franchise that's never gonna die. It's just fucking heartbreaking to see Dragon Ball lose it's soul like the Simpsons did.
DB's artistic integrity has been going down the drain since 2013's BOG. That's not to say everything we got was bad but there's been a clear merchandise mentality to it which goes against what the original manga was, a story. In this day and age that's what happens when something gets popular, everyone involved want to take the easy way out and milk it to death instead of creating new IPs that are just as good.
emperior wrote:I don’t want to see bad and blatant fanservice in a main serie anymore, so if Heroes finally served that purpose I would welcome it.
I think heroes will become the main product once Toriyama's done so everything, including the anime, will be based on it as it's the most profitable thing the franchise has right now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:06 am

sintzu wrote:
KinguKurimuzon wrote:This is the fifth Dragon Ball anime, and it's nothing but a big dumb advertisement for an arcade game that's been sucking tens of thousands of yen from Japanese kids since 2010. Super's artistic integrity was pretty questionable to begin with, but this more than anything screams to me that Dragon Ball's rotting corpse is being puppeteered by a bunch of cigar-chomping suits. Obviously Dragon Ball was never high art or anything like that, but at least it used to be a series created by a man and his assistants, now it's just another gigantic multimedia franchise that's never gonna die. It's just fucking heartbreaking to see Dragon Ball lose it's soul like the Simpsons did.
DB's artistic integrity has been going down the drain since 2013's BOG. That's not to say everything we got was bad but there's been a clear merchandise mentality to it which goes against what the original manga was, a story. In this day and age that's what happens when something gets popular, everyone involved want to take the easy way out and milk it to death instead of creating new IPs that are just as good.
emperior wrote:I don’t want to see bad and blatant fanservice in a main serie anymore, so if Heroes finally served that purpose I would welcome it.
I think heroes will become the main product once Toriyama's done so everything, including the anime, will be based on it as it's the most profitable thing the franchise has right now.
It's really more of a side project than anything really and besides we still have the super movie and possibly dragon ball super anime if it returns. Dragon ball heroes is basically just a promotional anime to promote the game it is based on.