What is your favorite gi for Son Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Re: What is your favorite gi for Son Goku?

Post by Kokonoe » Thu May 24, 2018 8:03 am

Saiyan arc gi and his blue one in Dragon Ball are pretty good.

I want to see him as an adult in his early Dragon Ball uniform.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:30 am

Kokonoe wrote:I want to see him as an adult in his early Dragon Ball uniform.
I think the end of Z gi -- and to a lesser extent, the GT gi -- was a deliberate throwback to this. The original gi was a lot more purple, but the overall style is rather similar.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu May 24, 2018 2:28 pm

The Saiyan Arc gi.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu May 24, 2018 5:37 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Gligarman wrote:I always thought his blue outfit from the start of the series was cute. Didn't mind the 10th anniversary movie version either which I believe was also from GT.
That's a bit of a trick answer! When Bulma first meets Goku, he's in the classic blue gi from the start of the story. However when he gets ready to head off with her, he changes into the GT outfit, with the pink wrist bands, lighter shirt, baggy yellow pants and different shoes.
Guess it works both ways then! lol. I miss kid Goku. I hope they add him to Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Son Perfect

Post by Son Perfect » Thu May 24, 2018 8:06 pm

dragon ball gt
I love Gohan a bit too much...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 25, 2018 2:07 am

Gligarman wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Gligarman wrote:I always thought his blue outfit from the start of the series was cute. Didn't mind the 10th anniversary movie version either which I believe was also from GT.
That's a bit of a trick answer! When Bulma first meets Goku, he's in the classic blue gi from the start of the story. However when he gets ready to head off with her, he changes into the GT outfit, with the pink wrist bands, lighter shirt, baggy yellow pants and different shoes.
Guess it works both ways then! lol. I miss kid Goku. I hope they add him to Dragon Ball FighterZ.
Same. I love the happy-go-lucky attitude he has, and both Nozawa and Nadolny are utterly iconic to that stage of the character for me (so obviously I have no problems with him being kid-ified for GT). And he would be great for FighterZ with the use of Nyoi-bo and a more melee-oriented fighting style.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri May 25, 2018 1:49 pm

KBABZ wrote: Same. I love the happy-go-lucky attitude he has, and both Nozawa and Nadolny are utterly iconic to that stage of the character for me (so obviously I have no problems with him being kid-ified for GT). And he would be great for FighterZ with the use of Nyoi-bo and a more melee-oriented fighting style.
It'd be awesome if his fly mechanic was the Kino-Un and his ninja outfit was an alternate costume!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 25, 2018 7:12 pm

Gligarman wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Same. I love the happy-go-lucky attitude he has, and both Nozawa and Nadolny are utterly iconic to that stage of the character for me (so obviously I have no problems with him being kid-ified for GT). And he would be great for FighterZ with the use of Nyoi-bo and a more melee-oriented fighting style.
It'd be awesome if his fly mechanic was the Kino-Un and his ninja outfit was an alternate costume!
He'd have a bunch open to him! As this thread kinda of implies, heh. In addition to Shu's duds, we have the starting blue, Kame-sen'nin orange, and GT blue/yellow as skin options. You could also go REALLY obscure and include the leopard costume he arrived at the 22nd TB in!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 25, 2018 9:04 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Analytic wrote: Resurrection F gi
[spoiler]Image
(not sure what happened to Whis's symbol here)[/spoiler]
Always my answer :P
Whis' mark was not there, because he hadn't yet drawn it on their outfits. After this training scene is over, they are sporting it.
Pisses me the fuck off, that Toriyama or whoever is obsessed with Goku's look from the Freeza Arc to the point they are willing to throw away the new for the old, yuck!
Dragon Ball Heroes at least does the outfit justice and found a way to work in a blue undershirt:
Press for bigger image
Disagree with the DBH comment the blue undershirt looks hella weird with the RF gi.

But agree it pisses me off too they switched back immediately after the U6 tournament ended. I mean U.S arc it would make sense given Goku was in his blue undershirt for a majority of it and then shirtless Goku imo would look better in his old gi. But there was no reason to change it for the Trunks arc especially when Trunks got 2 new outfits himself. (Black's gi was awesome at least could have mirrored that with orange and blue for Goku).

I'm at least satisfied they've brought the long belt back for the movie.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri May 25, 2018 11:53 pm

23rd TB, Saiyan, and Namek arc gi is the best. A design that is balanced. The symbol really really makes it iconic. Much prefer the smaller collar cut to the shirt as well. The best really.

I really dislike the giant sash and low V-cut in his late DBZ gi. The blue (and yellow) never looked good on Goku when compared with his orange/red gi.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat May 26, 2018 11:21 pm

Minor question: when it comes to the 23d-Namek gi, do you prefer the reddish overshirt with black undershirt and belt? Or is it orange overshirt with blue undershirt and belt?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon May 28, 2018 3:33 am

I like the RoF outfit...when Toriyama draws it. Yamamuro makes it look weird somehow. Either way I'm definitely in the camp that they should have kept it for all of Super onwards instead of heading back to what's safe and marketable.

Other than that, I like the colors and base simplicity of the EoZ Gi. It's just nice and understated for a character that's been through so much up to that point.

I hate the GT outfit though. The yellow pants are just bad looking.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon May 28, 2018 6:18 am

Shaddy wrote:I hate the GT outfit though. The yellow pants are just bad looking.
Especially during Super Saiyan 4, then it just looks like it's urine-coloured!

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon May 28, 2018 6:50 pm

I always had a soft spot for the EoZ gi,
The 23rd BT/Saiyan/Namek gi is the one being cult Iol

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue May 29, 2018 1:18 am

KBABZ wrote:Minor question: when it comes to the 23d-Namek gi, do you prefer the reddish overshirt with black undershirt and belt? Or is it orange overshirt with blue undershirt and belt?
I actually like the Black/Red design a lot. I also love the Orange/Blue design as well of course. One thing I love about the Black/Red design is that the symbol on the shirt is Yellow instead of White. Something about that just really catches my eye. So I might be inclined to push the Red/Black over the iconic Orange and Blue!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 29, 2018 6:49 am

Attitudefan wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Minor question: when it comes to the 23d-Namek gi, do you prefer the reddish overshirt with black undershirt and belt? Or is it orange overshirt with blue undershirt and belt?
I actually like the Black/Red design a lot. I also love the Orange/Blue design as well of course. One thing I love about the Black/Red design is that the symbol on the shirt is Yellow instead of White. Something about that just really catches my eye. So I might be inclined to push the Red/Black over the iconic Orange and Blue!
As you can probably guess, mine is orange/black/yellow due to the heavy association with the original anime.

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Tue May 29, 2018 6:55 am

Freeza one and the End of Z one

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Tue May 29, 2018 11:07 am

GT and End of Z!

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Tue May 29, 2018 12:41 pm

Between RoF and Saiyan.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:36 pm

My personal favorite is the gi that he wears at the end of Z. I find that particular shade of blue to be really nice. It was nice to see him in some cool colors after seeing him wear the very loud orange gi for the overwhelming majority of the series. My gripe with the Super attire that he had, is that it's still very loud and bright. I also find it bizarre that the symbol on his gi was basically done in Sharpie. It might look decent, but when thought about, it's terrible to me.

Now if the end-of-Z attire that Goku wears is my favorite, I have to say that GT is also cool in my opinion, but I am a bit put off by the fact that it jus does not match with itself. Every piece of clothing has a different color that doesn't go together -- the top is blue, the bottom is orange, the belt is white, the wristbands are pink, the boots are black and white. At least with the end-of-Z attire, the colors somewhat mesh. I would rather that Goku kept the end-of-Z attire for GT if they were looking to make him look different than in Z.