"Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

"Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by TheBalishChannel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:20 am

Image Image

I randomly stumbled upon these listings while browsing through the "Coming Soon" section of my local theater's website; some sites have more information than others, so I've compiled everything from Paragon, AMC, Marcus, etc.

DRAGON BALL Z: BROLY - THE LEGENDARY SUPER SAIYAN | September 15th & 17th, 2018 (Runtime 1 hr. 20 min.)
Vegeta is lured to the planet New Vegeta by a group of Saiyan survivors in hopes that he will be the king of their new planet. But when he finds that they have ulterior motives of universal domination, he and the Z Warriors must fight Broly, the legendary Super Saiyan.

- ENGLISH @ 12:55pm on Saturday, 09/15/18
- JAPANESE ENGLISH @ 7:00pm on Monday, 09/17/18

(Advance tickets can be purchased here.)

DRAGON BALL Z: SAIYAN DOUBLE FEATURE | November 3rd & 5th, 2018 (Runtime 1 hr. 45 min.)
• FUSION REBORN: The universe is thrown into dimensional chaos as the dead come back to life. Now Goku and Vegeta must track down the cause of this uproar.
• BARDOCK - THE FATHER OF GOKU: The tale of Bardock, the father of Goku, and his rebellion against his master the mighty Frieza.

- ENGLISH @ 12:55pm on Saturday, 11/3/18
- JAPANESE ENGLISH @ 7:00pm on Monday, 11/5/18

(Advance tickets can be purchased here.)

This is almost certainly being done to help promote the upcoming release of the DRAGON BALL SUPER movie, which is said to explore the origins of the Saiyans and Frieza.

What are your thoughts on this? Personally, while I'm alright with Broly, I feel like the "Saiyan Double Feature" line-up is a bit odd; Fusion Reborn hardly has anything to do with Saiyans specifically, and Bardock - The Father of Goku technically isn't even a movie. Wouldn't it make a bit more sense for Tree of Might to be paired up with Bardock since it involves the Saiyans in some way? Not sure what went into making the decision for these two to be shown. Also, I'm wondering if the English premieres will feature the Japanese OST or the American re-scores. I'm a huge fan of Broly's U.S. soundtrack and would be so thrilled to hear Pantera & Tendril coming through those big theater speakers. :D

UPDATE (6/22): TOEI Animation and Fathom Events have been revealed to be the companies responsible for bringing these films to theaters as opposed to FUNimation Films. Sadly, it's been confirmed by TOEI themselves via Twitter that the screenings will be English-dubbed only despite the information initially provided, which suggested otherwise.
Last edited by TheBalishChannel on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:17 am

Woo Gogeta confirmed for the DB Super movie :clap:

[spoiler]I wish.[/spoiler]

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:54 pm

Big Green Broly! Big Green Broly! Big Green Broly!

Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Cool! Those English and Japanese options have me hopeful. Hopefully when the Super movie comes out it'll be the same way. I'd like to see both languages.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 pm

Random set of movies, but I'm putting my money where my mouth is and going to all of the Japanese screenings. Anyone that cares at all about watching the original versions should too.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:36 am

Are they seriously going to show the dub for Bardock: Father of Goku in theatres? Because that dub was not good at all.

Other than that, this is really cool! They're showing off Saiyan focused films (Fusion Reborn is kind of an odd choice but I guess it makes sense since Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, Goten and Gohan were the only ones in action) so this is definitely some kind of promo for the upcoming Super movie. It's also really cool that they're giving people the option to watch the films dubbed or subbed. Hopefully they do this for the new movie as well.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:58 am

Forte224 wrote:Cool! Those English and Japanese options have me hopeful. Hopefully when the Super movie comes out it'll be the same way. I'd like to see both languages.
If the Japanese has much better vocal direction and no actors phoning it in, I'd probably check it out if there is an option for both in the UK, though given Toei Europe we're probably only gonna get the dub.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:50 am

I’ll be going to those Japanese screenings.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:09 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Are they seriously going to show the dub for Bardock: Father of Goku in theatres? Because that dub was not good at all.
Crossing my fingers and hoping that they take this opportunity to re-dub it. Seems like a really good time to do it; premiere the new dub in theaters and drum up hype for a new DVD/Blu-Ray release. I can't wrap my head around Funimation actually wanting to show the dub they currently have in theaters. They know how that thing reflects on them as a company, right? It's just... embarrassing.

Also holding out hope that they show the special uncropped in 4:3, but... let's face it, we've lost that battle.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:03 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Are they seriously going to show the dub for Bardock: Father of Goku in theatres? Because that dub was not good at all.
Crossing my fingers and hoping that they take this opportunity to re-dub it. Seems like a really good time to do it; premiere the new dub in theaters and drum up hype for a new DVD/Blu-Ray release. I can't wrap my head around Funimation actually wanting to show the dub they currently have in theaters. They know how that thing reflects on them as a company, right? It's just... embarrassing.
That's what I'm hoping for, too. There is just no way they'll show that dub in theatres. Announcing a re-dub of the special will get some people interested to go see it. The Broly and Fusion Reborn dubs are fine, so I don't see a re-dub happening for them.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:14 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:

Also holding out hope that they show the special uncropped in 4:3, but... let's face it, we've lost that battle.
While I'd very much like these things, paricularly Bardock, to be redubbed, let's be real. There's probably a reason for the Japanese screenings this time around when they didn't do them for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F: those two dubs were up to snuff while these dubs, save for the Broly movie script-wise... aren't. My guess is that they have the dub screenings available because OF COURSE they have to, while the Japanese screenings are to throw a bone to fans lIke us who give a damn about the integrity of the material. It's their way of saying, "Yeah. We know. Here's something for you guys, at least. Please forgive us." The best we can reasonably hope for is that they'll use the Kikuchi score for the dub screenings, which is likely since they wouldn't have to pay royalties to Faulconer and whoever else.

For the record, I would LOVE to be wrong, and would literally jump for joy if we got redubs of these things. ESPECIALLY Bardock. I'm just saying that we need to have realistic expectations here.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:37 am

I'm sorry, but if Broly films having theatrical release in US, would that be the case with other countries as well?

Like BOG & ROF had limited release in my town. So I'm curious if that would be the case with Broly & other films you mentioned

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:14 am

OmegaRockman wrote:There's probably a reason for the Japanese screenings this time around when they didn't do them for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.
Lately, FUNimation has been giving movie-goers the option of either watching their screenings in their English-dubbed or original language formats; they've done so with Your Name. last year, Big Fish & Begonia earlier this year, and with their theatrical Attack on Titan Season 3 World Premiere Event this upcoming month (July 10th & 11th). They're following suit after GKIDS' success in providing the choice with their "Studio Ghibli Fest" line-up, as well as their other limited theatrical anime events (Mary & The Witch's Flower, Lu Over the Wall, Fireworks, etc.).
Vijay wrote:I'm sorry, but if Broly films having theatrical release in US, would that be the case with other countries as well?
Like BOG & ROF had limited release in my town. So I'm curious if that would be the case with Broly & other films you mentioned
It's possible, but these events have been coordinated by FUNimation Films, which is strictly an American distribution company. If such a thing were to happen in your country, it would have to be organized by the license-holders for Dragon Ball Z over there.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:12 pm

TheBalishChannel wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:There's probably a reason for the Japanese screenings this time around when they didn't do them for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.
Lately, FUNimation has been giving movie-goers the option of either watching their screenings in their English-dubbed or original language formats; they've done so with Your Name. last year, Big Fish & Begonia earlier this year, and with their theatrical Attack on Titan Season 3 World Premiere Event this upcoming month (July 10th & 11th). They're following suit after GKIDS' success in providing the choice with their "Studio Ghibli Fest" line-up, as well as their other limited theatrical anime events (Mary & The Witch's Flower, Lu Over the Wall, Fireworks, etc.).
Trust me, I know that this is common practice with other anime films. However, DB has always been the odd one out by exclusively having dubbed screenings, so I find it strange that suddenly a set of DB theatrical releases has Japanese screenings. Of course I'm happy about that, being a fan of the original version. At the same time, though, it makes me question any possibility of them redubbing the material for these screenings, as much as I'd love it to happen.

My YouTube

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Wonder which cut of Bardock the Father of Goku they will be using. Can't imagine the movie going public being happy woth seeing Bany Goku...um...."exposed" on the big screen.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:08 pm

99% chance these will be the pre-existing Funimation dubs with the remasters they made for the double feature blu-rays. I really wouldn't expect anything different.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 pm

So it looks like Toei's made an official announcement on Twitter linking to an article with some details: https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/statu ... 8022488064

They're saying "remastered," so I'm assuming that this will be Funimation's Bluray footage.

Edit: So the Fathom Events page currently says that all the screenings are dubbed: https://www.fathomevents.com/collections/dragon-ball-z

I sincerely hope that this is a typo. I was banking hard on Japanese screenings. I mean, I don't mind watching Broly in English (so long as it's Kikuchi), but I can't deal with the dubs for Bardock and Fusion Reborn. Best case scenario, these are, in fact, redubs, and I'm completely wrong about them just throwing the current dubs into theaters. Please, dear GOD, let me be wrong.

My YouTube

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:37 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:I sincerely hope that this is a typo. I was banking hard on Japanese screenings. I mean, I don't mind watching Broly in English (so long as it's Kikuchi), but I can't deal with the dubs for Bardock and Fusion Reborn. Best case scenario, these are, in fact, redubs, and I'm completely wrong about them just throwing the current dubs into theaters. Please, dear GOD, let me be wrong.
I pretty much feel the same. The only reason I was excited for this was because of the prospect of seeing them subtitled in theaters. Not only is this disappointing, it doesn't bode well for the upcoming Super movie.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:I pretty much feel the same. The only reason I was excited for this was because of the prospect of seeing them subtitled in theaters. Not only is this disappointing, it doesn't bode well for the upcoming Super movie.
Welp, they just replied to me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/fathomevents/status ... 9177524224

Looks like it's dub-only. A damn shame. I'm not as worried about the Super movie since I expect the dub to be around Kai/Battle of Gods/Resurrection F quality, but it would've been really nice to see it in Japanese first.

My YouTube