Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:46 pm

Unfortunately, movie 4 has a pretty intense colour cast. Easy to remove, but definitely another to the list of iffy tints in this remastered set.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

The quality of the footage is excellent, but the more I see of this stuff, the more I do think Toei could have done a more thorough job of colour correcting.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Ajay wrote:Unfortunately, movie 4 has a pretty intense colour cast. Easy to remove, but definitely another to the list of iffy tints in this remastered set.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

The quality of the footage is excellent, but the more I see of this stuff, the more I do think Toei could have done a more thorough job of colour correcting.
I see...

How do the OG DB movies look? (Particularly curious about 2 and 4)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Ajay wrote:I could actually cry. Movie 3's treatment is just... unreal. Wow.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

The dark detail, the colours. I'm in heaven.
Now those are some sexy screencaps.

I think that might be the best looking Dragon Ball remaster we've ever gotten. Would gladly throw my current Funi blu-rays in the trash if these ever got released here.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I see...

I've only looked at movies 1 and 2 so far, but they're pretty competent. Again, some tints here and there, but definitely nothing extreme like some of the others in Z. Here's some shots from movie 2:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:26 pm

Ajay wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:I see...

I've only looked at movies 1 and 2 so far, but they're pretty competent. Again, some tints here and there, but definitely nothing extreme like some of the others in Z. Here's some shots from movie 2:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Oh man, you have no idea how much I love this.

DB movie 2 is my favourite of all the Dragon Ball movies, in fact I'd rank it among my favourite movies in general... And this is just beautiful. Thanks for the screenshots, man. :)
I really want to get this on a boxset or something...
Toei, Funi, and MangaUK -- gief 20-movie boxset plzthx :D :D :D :D :D

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:34 pm

Is this only on International Amazon Video?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:40 pm

Man it's great to see Kid Goku in HD!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:45 pm

But yeah, these look so much better than the Dragon Boxes it's almost hilarious. It's kinda funny how the DBoxes used to be so coveted until we realized just how jacked up the colors were around 2009/10, and now I can't unsee it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:12 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Is this only on International Amazon Video?
Japanese Amazon Video and Netflix.
KBABZ wrote:Man it's great to see Kid Goku in HD!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
We could have seen it much sooner -- though on a mostly-inferior master, despite its open-matte 4:3 framing -- if Funi had put their damn HD Dragon Ball movie masters out on Blu-Ray...! :roll:
jjgp1112 wrote:But yeah, these look so much better than the Dragon Boxes it's almost hilarious. It's kinda funny how the DBoxes used to be so coveted until we realized just how jacked up the colors were around 2009/10, and now I can't unsee it.
They are still somewhat coveted, because they're the lesser of many, many evils when it comes to Dragon Ball home media.
Really, the Dragon Boxes suck. It's just that every other release out there sucks harder... Until now. :)

But yeah, seriously, they suck. Motion blurring to reduce the grain(You can see artifacts of this in extreme dark areas), no colour correction, OPs 2 and 3 of GT used the D2 tape master for all the footage that was reused from OP1(But would hard-cut to the DBox film master immediately at the moment new footage came in), the GT special was D2 tape sourced, across the board there was bad crushing on both the light and dark ends, the master audio(In stereo for episodes 5+) Toei has always possessed of GT wasn't used, the stereo mix of Z movie 11 was ignored, the Z episode 1 preview was skipped, the DB episode 1 preview was skipped, the framing on most of the OG Dragon Ball box was too low so you can see the edges of the film frame in most shots(And in episode 52, for most of the runtime you can see the very top of the next frame at the bottom of the picture), the Big Box and other master audio copies aside from GT that Toei possess were ignored aside from the movie cinetapes, and the movies were 16:9 closed-matte instead of open-matte 4:3 or the correct 1.85:1 cinema ratio...
The Dragon Boxes sucked.
The GT boxes, video-wise, were basically a good master overall(Some slight tinting, but nothing grievous enough to fuss about), but the audio was screwed up, and they made that mistake with the OPs, and the special was screwed up, and they didn't get even that good until GT started, leaving the other 444 episodes of the original 11-year run of Dragon Ball poorly-covered by the boxes.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:12 am

wow is there a way (in private) to see netflix or amazon japan? beside of that anyone check if they did the same with episodes?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:17 am

Ajay wrote:Unfortunately, movie 4 has a pretty intense colour cast. Easy to remove, but definitely another to the list of iffy tints in this remastered set.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

it's pretty the same with Hokuto No ken 25th anniversary box , colors have been corrected but it remains color cast that sometimes is really strong one, it's almost like if Toei dont' know how to white balance (but when we know how easy it is to remove a color cast it feel like an unfinished work)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:53 am

Going by those screenshots, this remaster is just drop dead gorgeous. Puts every other release of the Dragon Ball movies to shame (Dragon Box included).

I am hoping we will see a similar remaster for the three series (TOEI may be gearing up for a 30th anniversary collector's edition of DBZ here) and for other companies to import them.

MangaUK, in particular should definitely consider looking into it, especially if TOEI cover the series too. They missed the boat on Dragon Boxes and Z Blu-Rays, but there is still a demand for a UK DBZ Blu-Ray release, even moreso if its such a huge improvement over the ones Funi remastered themselves.

Also, might be a pipe dream but this would be a great chance for Funi to redub the series (or at least Z) as the Toonami generation will almost certainly always have the Funi Z Blu-Rays in print.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:00 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: MangaUK, in particular should definitely consider looking into it, especially if TOEI cover the series too. They missed the boat on Dragon Boxes and Z Blu-Rays, but there is still a demand for a UK DBZ Blu-Ray release, even moreso if its such a huge improvement over the ones Funi remastered themselves.
You mean Funimation should look into it. MangaUK only rereleases Funimation's dubbed work in Europe.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:09 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: MangaUK, in particular should definitely consider looking into it, especially if TOEI cover the series too. They missed the boat on Dragon Boxes and Z Blu-Rays, but there is still a demand for a UK DBZ Blu-Ray release, even moreso if its such a huge improvement over the ones Funi remastered themselves.
You mean Funimation should look into it. MangaUK only rereleases Funimation's dubbed work in Europe.
You are right on that one. Inevitably Funimation will licence this remaster first, if it happens at all but I do hope Manga UK acquire it from them when and if that happens because, as I say there's still a demand for UK DBZ Blu-Rays, moreso if it ends up better than the existing Funi release.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:47 am

PLEASE give me the DB/DBZ TV series in this quality. Hell, I'd take just the original Dragon Ball!
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:54 am

PremiumSalt wrote:PLEASE give me the DB/DBZ TV series in this quality. Hell, I'd take just the original Dragon Ball!
That's not possible due to the condition the films are in. And they are not 35 mm.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:01 am

for the moment only movies are remastered for those who were wondered, i checked myself

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:05 am

sangofe wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:PLEASE give me the DB/DBZ TV series in this quality. Hell, I'd take just the original Dragon Ball!
That's not possible due to the condition the films are in. And they are not 35 mm.
Well, I'm well aware of that fact, but what I'm saying is I'd like a similar remaster done for the series, even if it isn't quite this good.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:20 am

MangaUK *just* finished releasing the FUNi remastered movies on BD. What unfortunate timing. R. I. P ever seeing these in the UK!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:41 am

Here I was pondering what version of the movies I wanted to buy and here comes this! The wait continues. Some of that color-casting is hideous, though, who let Lord Slug go through like that?
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:MangaUK *just* finished releasing the FUNi remastered movies on BD. What unfortunate timing. R. I. P ever seeing these in the UK!
What terrible timing!
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada