Live Action Movie Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:29 am

New great poster:

SCNR :mrgreen:

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:42 am

The picture in and of itself wasn't all that humorous. The part that really got me was the title of the movie, "Lord of the Balls" :lol:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:48 am

Even if Chatwin really boned up on his manga research; unless the writers and director have kept Goku's lines and actions within his character, that research won't pay off all too much.

You have to have a balance between the the actor's skills/knowledge and the writer/director's script/believability.

So yeah, good on him for actually reading the manga. :D
(Even though I still don't think he looks like Goku at all. ^^; )

At least I'll know to lay full blame on the writers and director if Goku is wildly OOC in this movie. :wink:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:58 am

If Chatwin doesn't look like Goku then who would?

Not to seem like I'm saying, "Well fuck you if you don't like the actors", but I see people say Chatwin doesn't look like Goku a lot and I just wanted to pose the question.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:53 am

Chuquita wrote:Even if Chatwin really boned up on his manga research; unless the writers and director have kept Goku's lines and actions within his character, that research won't pay off all too much.
Well I don't know, Brian Drummond made a convincing Vegeta even with the dialouge rambling on about radical weaponry of Rigal 7 and another dimensions. Hell the movies dialogue couldn't be THAT bad and I think if the actors are good enough they can make any script sound half way decent.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:18 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:I see people say Chatwin doesn't look like Goku a lot and I just wanted to pose the question.
Well, this is Son Goku- *he waves*

We all know him. He's big and loud and friendly and dark-eyed and he runs around naked too much. He smiles even more. When he isn't in the middle of a fight he's always got this slightly confused, yet happy look on his face. He's got big hair and while he isn't technically any Asian race he doesn't really look white.

And, well, there's Chatwin

Chatwin is decently sized for a young Son, but we've never seem him smile or loosen up. He has not seemed very friendly or happy. His hair and eyes are brown and short, and he's a very white boy.

I'm not saying that all of those are things to hang him on, I actually like some of the changes, but it is true that it doesn't really let him look like Son Goku when he says so very little on his portrayal of the character.

Basically I would love to hear more from him outside of Kamehameha is cool and "um, he's the main character." I was spazzing about Marsters a lot before he just started talking and reassured me too.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:25 pm

Chatwin's actually been talking a lot about Goku's character, lately. The interview I linked to has him doing so, and there's been one or two others just like it within the last month or so.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:30 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:If Chatwin doesn't look like Goku then who would?

Not to seem like I'm saying, "Well fuck you if you don't like the actors", but I see people say Chatwin doesn't look like Goku a lot and I just wanted to pose the question.
That's why I don't really like the very idea of a live-action movie. There's just no actor in the world who'd really, truely seem right as Goku.
NeptuneKai wrote:Well I don't know, Brian Drummond made a convincing Vegeta even with the dialouge rambling on about radical weaponry of Rigal 7 and another dimensions.
What is the "Rigal 7" line, anyway? I've read DBZ Uncensored, so I know about most of the changes and crazy lines from that era of the dub, but I don't remember that one.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:30 pm

I remember him saying that Son is gentle, kamehameha is cool, he has read the manga (which is excelent), and not much else. I've been keeping up every day on the blog, so have I just forgotten something?

In terms of what I want to hear- Marsters talked about a touch oh the char's history and motivation, what he's like and that he really just wants to kill the bitches that put him away. The motivation is the really big thing here for me.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:33 pm

Herms wrote:What is the "Rigal 7" line, anyway? I've read DBZ Uncensored, so I know about most of the changes and crazy lines from that era of the dub, but I don't remember that one.

I believe it was right before Vegeta turns Oozaru on Goku. It's something like "We ran into some radical weaponry on Rygal 7, things were looking grim until your father did this. Your father was an average fighter, but he was a brilliant scientist!!!" I think that's pretty close.

Edit: Here it is....I guess I had it word for word. :P
Last edited by SonEric84 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trans rights, now!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:35 pm

SonEric84 wrote:I believe it was right before Vegeta turns Oozaru on Goku. It's something like "We ran into some radical weaponry on Rygal 7, things were looking grim until your father did this. Your father was an average fighter, but he was a brilliant scientist!!!" I think that's pretty close.
My best friend thinks Tenkaichi 3 made an error cause Bardock can't use the fake moon energy ball.

True story.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:36 pm

hahaha That is AWESOME...and yet so sad.
Trans rights, now!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:04 pm

Herms wrote:There's just no actor in the world who'd really, truly seem right as Goku.
I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way about Spider-Man or Batman or Professor X, and the like. I really don't like Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man, either.
deviantART
[thread]

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:25 pm

We'll never be truely satisfied...Even if Chatwin is amazing, most of us still won't be happy. Sad but True!
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:09 pm

We're Dragon Ball fans. Nothing EVER satisfies us. EVER.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:45 pm

I just wanted to ask where all of you guys go for your Dragonball movie news. I've been getting all my updates from here and it seems like a lot of other people do as well. Is this the official site of the movie?
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:49 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:I just wanted to ask where all of you guys go for your Dragonball movie news. I've been getting all my updates from here amd it seems like a lot of other people do as well. Is this the official site of the movie?
Pssst... URL tags don't use quotes. I'm pretty sure only quote tags use them. I fixed it the code, quote me to look at it.

No, that's not the movie's "official" site. It doesn't have one yet. That's just one of the better blogs out there, and is run by our own JAPPO. I primarily get my news from there and DBMB.
deviantART
[thread]

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:53 pm

Much appreciated and I actually did go back and look at one of your previous posts where you used that code to figure out the url code.

Anyways, I didn't know that site was run by a member here :shock: So keep up the good work there and I'll keep coming back to you for the news.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:46 pm

Now that I have returned to the current time-line, I must say that the movie wasn't really that bad. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but it did kinda set it up for a sequel, but not in the way you guys might imagine... It was actually pretty cool, because Piccolo increased his size like in the Majunior vs. Goku fight at the end of the series and stepped on Gohan. That was actually cool and almost like what Goku did in his Oozaru form.

Overall it was a good film, and well worth the journey into the future. When it comes out in this time-line I will see it again.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:47 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Now that I have returned to the current time-line, I must say that the movie wasn't really that bad. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but it did kinda set it up for a sequel, but not in the way you guys might imagine... It was actually pretty cool, because Piccolo increased his size like in the Majunior vs. Goku fight at the end of the series, and stepped on Gohan. That was actually cool and almost like what Goku did in his Oozaru form.

Overall it was a good film, and well worth the journey into the future. When it comes out in this time-line I will see it again.
Are you on crack, what the hell just happened?
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ