Random Landmark/Forever stuff

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:10 pm

Q1.What do you now hope to accomplish?
A. I guess I want to complete this plastic tank model.

Lol!

Ditto. You're definitely one of the most informative active members on Daizex Herms. Don't desert us too quickly now! Good luck with your endeavor in Tokyo.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:23 pm

All the best on your trip! Have a good one!
Just Saiyan...

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks a lot Herms!,

I own Dragonball forever, so it's nice to be able to understand some of the information contained therein, my girlfriend speaks Mandarin, so I had her read all the kanji contained in the book, and use that in combination with pictures to try and figure out what it was on about.

It didn't work that great..

Anyway, thanks for the info! :D, enjoy your trip man

And purchase Toyble's DBAF and sell it back to me at a reasonable price, possibly even at a loss..

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:32 pm

Here's Forever's Q&A, which is spread out on the bottom of pages 146-154.
Ask Toriyama!

“If” section

Q1. If you had Hoi-Poi capsule, what would you put in them?
A. I'd really want some. I guess it'd be good to put my entire house into one, since it'd make moving easy.

Q2. If you had Kinto-un, where would you go?
A. Wouldn't I not be able to ride it? I'm not pure...

Q3. If you had brains on par with Bulma's, what would you make?
A. A transporter would be nice. There are lots of places I want to go, but getting there is a pain.

DB character section

Q1. Were there any models for Bulma's hairstyles?
A. There weren't any models, but I tried to consciously change her hairstyle during each turning point [in the story].

Q2. Did Lunch ever manage to meet up with Tenshinhan?
A. I wonder...Tenshinhan gave Lunch the cold shoulder, but she tenaciously persisted, and ultimately they were together! Couldn't that be it? (laughs)

Q3. What become of Tsuru-sennin and Tao Pai Pai afterwards?
A. Ye~ah...they got mixed up in something or another and died, but they were bad people, so perhaps they weren't restored to life...

Q4. How strong is Mister Satan?
A. I think he's plenty strong. But...I don't get the feeling that he's as strong as Bob Sapp (laughs).

Q5. Was Yamcha able to become happy?
A. I've al~ways had that feeling (laughs).

Q6. Afterwards, was Vegeta always unemployed?
A. Bulma is absurdly rich, so there's no need for him to work.

Q7. Pan-chan is strong, but is Bra strong as well?
A. Well, I think she's strong.

Manga artist section

Q1. How did you think up the clothing designs?
A. I looked at stuff like the clothes my wife wears and fashion magazines, and I could tell what was popular by watching TV. It wouldn't be skillful to draw them just as they were, so I changed them around a bit.

Q2. Which is more fun, to draw a girl's body or face?
A. The body's the fun one. But I'm not really confident [at drawing it].

Q3. Please give a few words to young people who aspire to be manga artists.
A. I think it's best to know about lots of different things besides manga. I don't think you can become a manga artist if you look at nothing but manga.
Since Toriyama compares Mister Satan to Bob Sapp, I figured I'd link to a Gaijin Smash editorial about Bob Sapp and Bobby Ologun. It's a really interesting look at how black people and foreigners in general are percieved in Japan.

In the question over whether Yamcha was able to "become happy", the phrase in question (shiawase ni naru) seems to often be used when discussing marriage (or lack thereof). The picture that goes with it is Yamcha, directly after the Cell Games, talking about how his girlfriend wants an expensive necklace. So I guess you can draw your own conclusions.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm sure I'll still have time to hang around here. At the very least, I'll need to write about the new anime special...
Last edited by Herms on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Best Bouts
1.Son Goku vs. Freeza: 4,260 points
2.Son Gohan vs. Cell: 2,803 points
3.Son Goku vs. Vegeta: 1,397 points
Strickly from a manga viewpoint, I'd agree with this. However, the anime version of Goku vs. Freeza is not as good as SSJ2 Gohan vs. Cell. I'm sorry, that was epitomy of badass.

Also, what Goku/Vegeta fight is that? As much as I like the Majin Buu saga fight, I think I liked the original fight better. So much anticipation! Seeing Goku running on Serpantine Road for so many episodes :P

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:42 pm

Yeh! I'm glad you, Herms, that put this info out! I've been wanting it for a while!

Good luck in Japan buddy! :wink:
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:07 pm

fps_anth wrote:Also, what Goku/Vegeta fight is that?
Whoops, it's their first fight. I should have clarified that.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Herms wrote:The character list is like that as well, with all the humans being way at the bottom. I wonder if this might be a result of the current crop of Japanese fans developing the same sorts of bias against the early stuff that many American fans have? It'd be an interesting thing to look into, maybe
I've always wondered that, too. I mean, us Americans get crap for being overly fanboy-ey and the like, so I'd like to see how fandom's treated outside of the states.

(gets a vivid image of EX forcing Julian to interview his students)

Thanks so much for the translations. For once I can actually follow along with your translations with the actual source (I was fortunate enough to pick up Landmark used a while back). And, of course, best of luck with your studies, guy. The DaizEX community owes you so much 8).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:27 pm

Thank you Herms very much for this. I wish you the best of luck on your trip and I hope you have fun.

If it's not too much to ask in this busy time for you, could you translate a quick summary of the merchandise pages in Dragonball: Forever? Thank you very much.

PS: I sent you an e-mail via your Kanzentai contact info (back when the forum was down) and I just wanted to let you know that you can reply to me via PM on this forum if that's easier for you.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Man, don't you have any shame? You're giving away all of our daizenshuu guides... I thought you cared... ;)

PS: Check your email sometime soon.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Hujio wrote:Man, don't you have any shame? You're giving away all of our daizenshuu guides... I thought you cared... ;)

PS: Check your email sometime soon.
You should do the same lol . Then we will have two people translating twice as fast whaha jk.

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:25 am

Herms wrote:Here's Forever's Q&A, which is spread out on the bottom of pages 146-154.
DB character section
Questions two and five made me way too happy :D especially the Yamcha one, because he's my third favorite character and he needs more love ^^
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:53 am

I'm happy to find out Bura's strong too; I had a feeling she had it in her; just never got a chance to show off her strength. :mrgreen:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Snail

Post by Snail » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:19 am

fps_anth wrote:
Strickly from a manga viewpoint, I'd agree with this. However, the anime version of Goku vs. Freeza is not as good as SSJ2 Gohan vs. Cell. I'm sorry, that was epitomy of badass.
The transformation is understandably badass. The rest of the fight..uh..
Q2. Did Lunch ever manage to meet up with Tenshinhan?
A. I wonder...Tenshinhan gave Lunch the cold shoulder, but she tenaciously persisted, and ultimately they were together! Couldn't that be it? (laughs)
Perfecto! I'm gonna draw to my own conclusion and pretend that Akira Toriyama was sure of his statement when he answered this. I love how he questions himself. :lol:

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:59 pm

Here's part 1 of "DragonBall Square", a section in Landmark that gives more Japanese fan poll results. These polls were conducted over the internet. There were a total of about 4,000 respondents, 64% male, 36% female. Many of the respondents were middle schoolers ages 13-15, meaning they would have been babies or not even born yet when DragonBall finished its run in Jump. The book remarks that “the demographic of DragonBall fans is expanding!”

This first part is about people's favorite things about DragonBall. It ranks them, but doesn't give the number of votes they recieved. Under each thing it gives some quotes from respondents.
1.Goku
“It was interesting how he got stronger and stronger” “I love Goku because he's strong and kind.” “Super Saiyan was shocking!” “When I was in middle school, I really thought I would marry him!” “Are you talking about Kuririn?!!”

2.The rivals
“When it comes to DragonBall, the super battles with the rivals were white-hot!” “The subtle relationship between Piccolo and Vegeta was also good”

3.Love
"Goku and Chi Chi are the ideal couple. That's my own goal!” “I still don't understand how Bulma and Vegeta stayed together.”

4.Training
“What I like most is how the crybaby Gohan become strong!” “The super times 100 hard parts were good.”

5.The villians
“DragonBall is the only manga where I grew attached to the villians.” “I'm still scared of Tao Pai Pai.” “I felt complete despair when Freeza said he could transform two more times!”

6.The dragonballs
“I laughed when they wished for a girl's panties!” “I respect how Goku and the others used the dragonballs for the sake of their allies.”

7.The Tenkaichi Budoukai
“I really like the battle scenes, and enjoying the different techniques.” “I laughed during Kuririn and Chaozu's battle.”
So...not only is Goku Japanese fans' favorite character by a huge margin, he's also their favorite thing about DragonBall overall. The way GT was handled is starting to make a lot more sense...

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:16 pm

Herms wrote:"Goku and Chi Chi are the ideal couple. That's my own goal!”
Please tell me a guy said this. To be quite frank, as much of a hero as he is, Goku is a terrible husband. I mean, he promises to marry you, leaves for seven years without so much as a phone call, doesn't recognize you when you show up to kick his ass, knocks you up almost immediately, dies five years later because of his own screwed up family and leaves your son in the care of a demon, comes back a year later only to prance off into space for almost two years, then invites said demon to live with you while they ritualistically beat up your son for three years, knocks you up again, dies again, comes back seven years later to see his handiwork and gets the Earth destroyed, hangs around like a leech for ten years, then runs off with an adolescent boy. Does that sound like a good husband to you guys?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:29 pm

johnboy1 wrote:
Herms wrote:"Goku and Chi Chi are the ideal couple. That's my own goal!”
Please tell me a guy said this. To be quite frank, as much of a hero as he is, Goku is a terrible husband.
The name given is "Fay", which sounds like a girl's name, but it's presumably not the person's real name(most of the respondents used internet alliases, so there's a lot of comments throughout the book from people named "Vegetto" or "Android No.22"), so who knows?

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:38 pm

Honestly, the way all of Dragonball past the point Toei added the Z is making more sense.

I don't know, a lot of my favorite things about the story after Frieza seems to be set aside for "Goku blows them up". This seems incredibly obvious in the Android/Cell and Buu sagas. You go to Buu, it seems like Toriyama was heading towards "Get one of the new guys to defeat Buu." He even gave Piccolo a good chance for awhile.

I guess I find "Goku wins" to be a bit annoying after the Frieza arc.

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:38 pm

I think the person speaks about that Goku and Chi Chi's love never vanishes, even though they don't see eachother in years, but that's just me.

“I felt complete despair when Freeza said he could transform two more times!”

I did too. I really did.
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:02 pm

Wojak wrote:
“I felt complete despair when Freeza said he could transform two more times!”

I did too. I really did.
I felt despair having to sit through that god awful 2nd into 3rd form transformation screaming Lynda Young did.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight