Dragon Ball GT: Season 1 Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:48 pm

Raki wrote:Afterwhile the prices of those should drop to the floor. I want the season sets over the singles so I'm going with the sets. No reason not to tell Funimation with my dollar that this is a step in the right direction.
I suppose that depends on your priorities. I put more importance on the Japanese title cards, the original not faux-"awesome" logo, eyecatchers that aren't messed with, and the next episode previews than having three and a half minutes of english Dan Dan. It really seems like five steps back and two steps forward for this release from the singles.
Last edited by Super Ghost Kamikaze on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:48 pm

That's so pathetic. I could have made a better edit than that; it's so incredibly obvious.
Last edited by bkev on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:49 pm

Wow. That IS annoying.

I think we found our obligatory FUNi problem, folks!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:51 pm

Levlik wrote:
Tweaker wrote:I'm still confused in regards to the eyecatcher issue. Can somebody provide a comparison video so I can work out exactly what the differences are?
Since my DVD ripper is on the fritz, you'll have to suffice with audio, sorry.

Here it is normally:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x071wK6JAnM

Here is what you get on the season set:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wadn3xmdm2x

Also, from skimming around, I've noticed it changes randomly. The first episode cut part of the first eyecatcher out, but leaves the second eyecatcher intace, while some episodes cut both, and some leave both. So far it seems most of the episodes on the first disk cut both, though.
Wouldn't it have made more sense to cut one second from the silence? For atleast the first eyecatcher they have more then one second of silence.
­

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:01 am

You guy's are making the logo issue out to be far more than it is. There's nothing hardcore about the English logo.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:02 am

JulieYBM wrote:You guy's are making the logo issue out to be far more than it is. There's nothing hardcore about the English logo.
We're not complaining bout the logo. :p
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 am

People HAVE been, though.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 am

It seems like they cut out about 2 seconds of the silence in the middle, and another 2 seconds...somewhere...else. I don't know. It doesn't seem like much of a problem to me. Though it is a strange thing to go out of your way to do. Is there a video for the season set eye catcher? It'd be easier judge it that way.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:08 am

JulieYBM wrote:You guy's are making the logo issue out to be far more than it is. There's nothing hardcore about the English logo.
I disagree.

On the English logo, we have rips and cracks, stiffer lines, and twisted metal. The alterations to the logo were made for a reason, and that was to supplement their "SUPER HARDCORE" marketing image.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:08 am

I listened to the Season Set version first, and it really didn't sound bad at all for the first one, I couldn't even tell were it was cut, but the second one I could kinda tell. Seriously though, I don't think this is a deal breaker at all though, as the pros vastly outweigh the cons in my eyes.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:44 am

Super Sonic wrote:That's the other thing I wonder about. Only DB fans get up in arms about title cards not being there. Kenshin and Outlaw Star didn't use the Japanese title cards and no one complained about that.
That's cause Kenshin and Outlaw Star have properly translated title cards and DB doesn't dude. If they were translated properly ala, Kenshin, Outlaw Star and One Piece then there'd be no problem. It's just that some people, with good reason don't have to like seeing title cards that reference nothing but the dub when they're watching the Japanese version.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:56 am

Few questions...

1. Are the episode previews included in the Japanese track?

2. Are the eyecatchers intact in the Japanese track?

3. Should I try going back to GT? I've only seen it in English (blah) but I recently started watching all of DB from start to finish in Japanese (yay), so should I give GT another chance?

Thank you!
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:58 am

Wow.

If this wasn't GT, I'd consider getting the set. :P

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:59 am

@Killer:

1. No

2. Apparently the problem is intermittent

3. YES YES YES.

ssgOverlord
Patreon Supporter

Post by ssgOverlord » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:59 am

It's wonderful to hear Vic's oh-so awesome voice singing DAN DAN. I kept it in my head when the opening was first discussed, almost as a joke but more like a dream...and here it is. I don't care about logos, blur, eyecatchers, or whatever else is wrong. This just made my night, and I'll be waiting in anticipation to pick up this set.

Even before remastered seasons 6 + 7 which I still need to buy.
I think I'll be buying assorted Dragon Ball things for the rest of my life.

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:06 am

@Killer:

1. No

2. Apparently the problem is intermittent

3. YES YES YES.
Well...if that's the case I will stick to my GT singles....
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:08 am

Vekurotto wrote:It's just that some people, with good reason don't have to like seeing title cards that reference nothing but the dub when they're watching the Japanese version.
Word is, Mr. Simmons' translated titles still say the Japanese episode names just fine.

Anyway, moving onto matters that are actually important, namely video quality, I slapped together the three provided screenshots for a comparison...

The colors seem exactly the same across the board. All that seems different in the Remastered is the smoothness, but this time with minimal to no loss of detail. Nice.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:10 am

MagicBox wrote:I just realized.

What if FUNi decides to dub the DBZ songs as a result of all this positive feedback?

I don't want to buy the damn movies a third time!!!!
This is why I stopped buying all of Funimation's releases after season three. Another release of Z is imminent at this point. :P

Might I add that the english version of Dan Dan sound's great. English Cha-La Head Cha-La or Spirit VS Spirit please!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:34 am

Wow...

Lots going on on this front! First I must say that the set doesn't look half bad from the comparison shot. The singles still seem better but I'll have to see the video in motion before I pass judgment.

I really like Vic Mignogna's voice and singing. I loved his "We Are" for One Piece and this version of Dan Dan, I felt, was done very well!

As for the downsides... The logo replacement is annoying but it doesn't bother me too much. What does bother me is the lack of next episode previews and eyecatcher music. Those two are colossal fuck-ups. Regardless, I own all the singles, but I'll get these for the English dub with Japanese music.

A couple questions:

1. Anyone planning to post a clip of the English dub with Japanese BGM?
2. Does it include the "English broadcast version" like the Z sets did? [morbid curiosity]

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:36 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:The colors seem exactly the same across the board. All that seems different in the Remastered is the smoothness, but this time with minimal to no loss of detail. Nice.
Is the grain (found in the original funimation releases as well as dragonbox) present on a television? I have heard that many tvs can reduce the amount that is seen.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com