"Dear Fanboys..."

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

"Dear Fanboys..."

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:47 pm

I've decided to start a new section, easy to make, easy to update, no real effort. I'll be calling it "Dear Fanboys..."

It's probably the extent of cynical and sarcastic content that I'd like to place on the site, but present it in a rather plain-text and in-your-face style. I want to create a list of statements that I would inform ANY fan in order for them to go about their web browsing in a more logical and informed manner.

For example, my first item would be:

"News is not news unless there is a reputable, authoritative source listed."

What prompted this? I'm sick of visiting forums and seeing people to claim they know who's playing who in the live-action movie (you know, the movie without a script), and/or a full list of characters in Budokai 3 from their source at Atari (you know, the game being developed in Japan), etc. Start throwing suggestions my way. Be truthful, but be nice.
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyaJedi

Re: "Dear Fanboys..."

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:08 pm

"Having one's own website does not an expert make."

I'm sick and tired of having people who think they know everything just because they've got their own site. If anything, they just contrbute to the confusion. It takes a lot of effort to craft information that is accurate, and yer average fanboy who just started "SSJ19 VAGEETA'S Saiyan PLANNET" isn't quite going to cut it. I realize that everybody's gotta start somewhere, but some kids are just so damn cocky that it annoys the hell out of me. This could be taken as a jab at the VegettoEX at old, but he's (and I've) been out of that stage for a while now.

"Dub dialogue should not be taken as fact without cross-referencing the original script."

Bardock, a "brilliant scientist"? Goku was "5 years old" when he met Bulma? Tenshinhan's arms can "grow back"? Sounds like you've got a case of the dubs. Before you go repeating anything that the English version says (other than in gest), you should check it against what the Japanese version says, first. This hasn't always been easy to do, but with the advent of well-translated DVDs, there's less and less of an excuse for this sort of stuff. And once you know, you can go spread the light of knowledge to all of your unenlightened friends.

Hmm... any other ideas, guys?
Last edited by SaiyaJedi on Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:15 pm

I'm not gonna bold mine or make it too official yet, just sort of a suggestion to spur off from.

If website owners aren't experts, neither should "collectors" be. Claiming they own all the "stuff" could mean anything and hardly ever means they have any useful insight.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:59 pm

"Stop going on about all the "evil things" Funimation did 3 years ago." It's old, it's tired, and it's beyond redundant at this point. Funi has been steadily improving for a while now and yes they are still doing some things here and there with DB that are a little stupid, but at least they'll be going back and offering the first two sagas in unedited dual-language form. Do you know any other anime company that is doing that with a series that is consider as "passe" here as DBZ? I can name other companies that have been in the anime distribution business longer than Funi and are much worse. VIZ So lay off Funi already. Let it go. Move on.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:13 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:"Stop going on about all the "evil things" Funimation did 3 years ago." It's old, it's tired, and it's beyond redundant at this point. Funi has been steadily improving for a while now and yes they are still doing some things here and there with DB that are a little stupid, but at least they'll be going back and offering the first two sagas in unedited dual-language form. Do you know any other anime company that is doing that with a series that is consider as "passe" here as DBZ? I can name other companies that have been in the anime distribution business longer than Funi and are much worse. VIZ So lay off Funi already. Let it go. Move on.
Yeah, at least we get the Japanese track, unlike poor Rockman EXE.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:29 pm

Hehe, you guys have already listed just about all the big ones, but I feel there is one major annoyance left.

Your friend from Japan does not know Akira Toriyama!
(...and may not, in fact, be from Japan at all.)

I don't know if it's just me; but it seems you can go to any DBZ board, chat, etc, and find atleast one person who either claims to know, or knows somebody in Japan, who knows Akira Toriyama. Therefore they believe they have the whole "Behind the scenes truth" about the series.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:33 pm

Or that they went on a trip to Japan and met Toriyama "by chance", hung out with him, and he gave them the whole low-down on DB. :lol:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:45 pm

*Sniff* So beautiful.

How about...

No one cares about your power level lists! The last power level ever measured in Dragon Ball is Mirai Trunks' level of '5'. Any other 'official' powers levels people claim to have come from the various Daizenshuu, which are not exactly the most reliable source of accuracy concerning the DB universe. Any power levels you come up with yourself are little more than random numbers you've pulled out of your ass. I've seen discussions go on for pages concerning power levels in the Cell saga... let's not even get into the Buu saga. :?

Don't rely on crappy fansubs! Just as bad as poorly written dub dialogue are the often inaccurate, immature translations that several infamous 'subbers' (particularly AnimeLabs) have done for both movies and the regular episodes. No matter how much you might like to see Vegita calling his opponent a "candyass faggot", "bastard" is the worst curse word you'll ever be seeing in Dragon Ball. Besides, there's no reason to rely on crappy fansubs anymore when you can go out and buy DVDs with decent quality and reliable translations!
Last edited by Endishiki on Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:45 pm

This one goes out to a certain fanboy, Ryco, that somehow is able to dodge "bannination" on another board no matter his horrendous grammar and love of necroposting.

You will not bring back the Dragonball anime, no matter how hard you try.

Dragonball is finished! It's over! Toriyama, though still parodying it, is done with the series! Toei is done with it! It's dried out, and darn near impossible to add anymore original story to it! Dragonball has done everything, and therefore has no more reason to go on. Besides, you alone will not start a massive revolution of anime. Nothing you could ever do will bring back Dragonball, especially with your attitude.

---------

By "dried out," I mean the series has nothing left to offer that it already hasn't offered. It's still fun and great, but it can't offer anything new.
We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:47 am

Detective X wrote:This one goes out to a certain fanboy, Ryco, that somehow is able to dodge "bannination" on another board no matter his horrendous grammar and love of necroposting.

You will not bring back the Dragonball anime, no matter how hard you try.

Dragonball is finished! It's over! Toriyama, though still parodying it, is done with the series! Toei is done with it! It's dried out, and darn near impossible to add anymore original story to it! Dragonball has done everything, and therefore has no more reason to go on. Besides, you alone will not start a massive revolution of anime. Nothing you could ever do will bring back Dragonball, especially with your attitude.

---------

By "dried out," I mean the series has nothing left to offer that it already hasn't offered. It's still fun and great, but it can't offer anything new.
Good thing that isn't directed toward me... hehe... I shall say no more on that subject. Now, as for my addition:

"So you don't like [Insert Character(s) Here]. That's nice, but we don't care!"

If you don't like this character or that character you don't have to constantly complain/bitch about him. I see this a lot on Gamefaqs for one, along the lines of "Pan sucks, she shouldn't even be in the series!" (though with much worse grammar). No one else gives a damn. This also applies to your fanfictions. There's no reason to turn Yamcha into a wife beater/rapist people... O_o
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:33 pm

Oh oh! I got one!!!

Don't convince yourself that Dragonball is anything other than a kid's show: Yes, there may be subject matter that may be considered questionable in America, but at its core, Dragonball was, is, and always will be a show aimed for and marketed to children. Don't worry, it's OK to like a show for kids! Just don't be in denial about it and think just because there's some fighting that it's the kewlist adult show evar!

IncredibleGuy
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncredibleGuy » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:51 pm

I always thought DragonBall was a show for everyone. How about Don't convince yourself DragonBall is, or ever was an adult show ...

eh?
Signatures are stupid and I wish there was a way to turn them off
edit- neato

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:57 pm

IncredibleGuy wrote:I always thought DragonBall was a show for everyone. How about Don't convince yourself DragonBall is, or ever was an adult show ...

eh?
While that would help people get over the whole "children's show" hump, it seems time and time again that at least the animated portion is marketed for younger audiences.

And I wouldn't say the manga goes to great lengths to express itself to the adult crowd.

But a good point you strike upon.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:45 pm

Definitely a children's show. I watched it as a younger child, and I didn't have any trouble understanding it... Nothing was too "mature" in DB for me. Death? No problem. A few Bulma-boobies? No problem. Bahh. Making it a children's show.

A slightly fanboyish pro-Japanese tendency of mine is that, overall, I find anime directed at a young age to be way better than american cartoons directed at a young age, which I find stupid and retarded. Of course there are several exceptions, but most of which are just zany-type shows. Most... But I don't start thinking that Japanese kids are more mature or any silly thing like that.

I lost my train of thought... was I going somewhere with that...? Whatever. Anyway, sorry, but I can't come up with any more fanboy rules. You're doing fine without me, though.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:00 pm

Well, a lot of kids' drawings come off as more violent or vulgar than anything that flies off an animator's sketchpad.

I guess the real reason there's heavy censorship in American animation is to keep the parents happy, because the kids are going to eventually find a secret outlet for their perverse desires anyways.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:11 pm

Let's try not to have this thread go into a discussion on whether or not DBZ is actually a show for children or not (mostly because... well... it is). More suggestions, please!

*begins working on section*
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:23 pm

http://www.daizex.com/interaction/dear_fanboys/

If somewhere someone takes offense to just one thing in there, then I've done my job correctly.

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:28 pm

:shock: Ooh that's lovely. I think adding something that says Pojo's DBZ guides are NOT reputable sources of information on the series would be a good idea. A GREAT idea in fact.
[size=75]"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

[url=http://www.lovelycyborg.com/]Lovely Cyborg[/url][/size]

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:40 pm

number18 wrote::shock: Ooh that's lovely. I think adding something that says Pojo's DBZ guides are NOT reputable sources of information on the series would be a good idea. A GREAT idea in fact.
How about, "Fan-made magazines are not a reliable information source" (with insinuation towards Pojo's and Beckett)? :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:50 pm

Ah, Pojo. Used to be my favorite DBZ site in my more ignorant days... :P
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"