FUNimation/Viz poking fun at the original

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:59 am

laserkid wrote:I PREFFER the Japanese cast, sure, but I don't MIND the dub cast either.
Just like I don't mind the taste of Krusty Burgers. :P

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:03 pm

Not quite that. Outside of some really bad casting (#19, Freeza, #16, ect.) I think they're fine.

Just when you put them through the bad script, it comes out bad.
-Laserkid

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:08 pm

laserkid wrote:Not quite that. Outside of some really bad casting (#19, Freeza, #16, ect.) I think they're fine.

Just when you put them through the bad script, it comes out bad.
I think that was exactly the issue with the Yugioh dub. The voices were absolutely fine but some people didn't like the script so they associated the voices with a bad time.

(Personally I don't think the script is that off in most episodes. The biggest change they made was how the Yugi/Atem ordeal worked.)
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:10 pm

I still say deep voiced Atem doesn't fit with the character. I mean Yugi sounding like he's 40??? Ugh...

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:I still say deep voiced Atem doesn't fit with the character. I mean Yugi sounding like he's 40??? Ugh...
He doesn't sound 40 to me, he sounds about 18 when he isn't delivering confident speeches. I just think there is too much of a contrast between Yugi and Atems voice.

Anyway this isn't Dragonball at all.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:38 pm

Well, Dan Green did admit that the higher-ups wanted Atem to have a deep voice so he had to comply. So, if anyone is to blame for the deep voice of Atem in the dub, it's the director.

Aside from that, Dan Green is an awesome voice actor. He can really do some damn good performances with the right characters and the right direction. I honestly thought he was fantastic as the NME salesman in Kirby: Right Back At Ya!. :D

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Taku128 wrote:...Thanks for pointing that out, I'm sure Kaboom wouldn't have known that was his opinion had you not pointed that out. God, what would we do with out you Saiyan Professor?

By the way, you're always talking about how you can't relate to stuff in the Japanese version, and how you're glad FUNimation made the changes they did. Your avatar isn't very hip though huh? People can't relate to that at all, so I went ahead and fixed that for ya. No need to thank me, I'm just a nice guy. 8)

I am starting to see what type of people I am working with here. Now the stereotypes are being thrown around, all people who happen to like Rap do not dress in that sort of attire or carry guns etc. As a black man, I found that image very insulting.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Taku128 wrote:...Thanks for pointing that out, I'm sure Kaboom wouldn't have known that was his opinion had you not pointed that out. God, what would we do with out you Saiyan Professor?

By the way, you're always talking about how you can't relate to stuff in the Japanese version, and how you're glad FUNimation made the changes they did. Your avatar isn't very hip though huh? People can't relate to that at all, so I went ahead and fixed that for ya. No need to thank me, I'm just a nice guy. 8)

I am starting to see what type of people I am working with here. Now the stereotypes are being thrown around, all people who happen to like Rap do not dress in that sort of attire or carry guns etc. As a black man, I found that image very insulting.
While it may be in poor taste, it's still a joke. Take it like a man if you're going to refer to yourself as one. Shrug it off and play it cool rather than pulling the race card and getting all uptight about it. I'm sure a lot of people didn't even know what your race is upon making or seeing the image.

S'not like I'd be pissed if someone decked out my avatar to look like trailer trash. I'd actually laugh considering I do like classic rock, drink beer, slur my words together into contractions that don't exist, and live in the midwest.
Last edited by Kendamu on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:

Be glad you're not a straight edge Videl fan like me. You'd get worse than that.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:37 pm

Kendamu wrote:...While it may be in poor taste, it's still a joke. Take it like a man if you're going to refer to yourself as one. Shrug it off and play it cool rather than pulling the race card and getting all uptight about it. I'm sure a lot of people didn't even know what your race is upon making or seeing the image.

S'not like I'd be pissed if someone decked out my avatar to look like trailer trash. I'd actually laugh considering I do like classic rock, drink beer, slur my words together a bit, and live in the midwest.
It was made known a quite a few times in the threads discussing Mr. Popo racist caricature. While you may not have a problem with someone reducing you to a stereotype, I do. While we may have differences of opinion on things concerning Dragonball on this forum I never crossed specific lines.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:40 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Kendamu wrote:...While it may be in poor taste, it's still a joke. Take it like a man if you're going to refer to yourself as one. Shrug it off and play it cool rather than pulling the race card and getting all uptight about it. I'm sure a lot of people didn't even know what your race is upon making or seeing the image.

S'not like I'd be pissed if someone decked out my avatar to look like trailer trash. I'd actually laugh considering I do like classic rock, drink beer, slur my words together a bit, and live in the midwest.
It was made known a quite a few times in the threads discussing Mr. Popo racist caricature. While you may not have a problem with someone reducing you to a stereotype, I do. While we may have differences of opinion on things concerning Dragonball on this forum I never crossed specific lines.
I'm just not a big fan of some of the self pity or people playing the victim that I've been seeing around here lately when they can very easily take things into their own hands and put what they see in front of them in a more reasonable perspective.

The bling was about the GT rap, not your race.
(they/she)

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:50 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:

I'm just not a big fan of some of the self pity or people playing the victim that I've been seeing around here lately when they can very easily take things into their own hands and put what they see in front of them in a more reasonable perspective.

The bling was about the GT rap, not your race.

Yeah it was about the GT Rap, but when one says things in an effort to be funny especially on the internet they do not know what other messages that can be conveyed along with said joke. Self-pity has nothing to do with it but if you would read a history book and watch the evening news, you would know why someone in my position would have issues with stereotypes.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:52 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Yeah it was about the GT Rap, but when one says things in an effort to be funny especially on the internet they do not know what other messages that can be conveyed along with said joke. Self-pity has nothing to do with it but if you would read a history book and watch the evening news, you would know why someone in my position would have issues with stereotypes.
You are getting absolutely out-of-hand and asininely ridiculous. You're making up arguments to conversations that are not even taking place, and continuously whine about yourself and your faux-victimization time and time and time again.

Stop. It. Now.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:08 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:Yeah it was about the GT Rap, but when one says things in an effort to be funny especially on the internet they do not know what other messages that can be conveyed along with said joke. Self-pity has nothing to do with it but if you would read a history book and watch the evening news, you would know why someone in my position would have issues with stereotypes.
You are getting absolutely out-of-hand and asininely ridiculous. You're making up arguments to conversations that are not even taking place, and continuously whine about yourself and your faux-victimization time and time and time again.

Stop. It. Now.

*Cough*

In any case, one thing about the kind of move that FUNimation pulled with the GT theme was, it seemed like such a 90's cliche... "rap-ify" everything to seem cooler. But it happened in 2003. Sad.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:

That image is probably what Funimation associated their rap intro to. As a Black/German man, I don't find that image insulting at all. It looks ugly as a GIF but it's far from insulting. Funimation thinking they know what I want as a viewer and replacing music with what they think is correct is insulting.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:14 pm

The GT theme was pretty terrible. Even people that enjoy Rap/Hip-Hop music couldn't possibly like it. I sure don't. Nobody would seriously get into a song like that. You never hear stuff like that on the radio. It's just a really bad joke. The only thing worse than the "GT rap" are the misinformed people who equate the lyrics and sound of the GT rap to "Gangsta Rap" music and make stupid ass jokes about it. Doing that only makes you look dumb. There is absolutely nothing "gangsta" about the GT rap...in it's sound or it's lyrics. I know for some people it all sounds the same but if you're going to hate something at least have some knowledge about it. :roll:
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:18 pm

What the fuck does the colour of your skin have to do with rap? Racial hypersensitivity really gets on my nerves. I'm Native-Indian, but so what? I don't care if people insult my race. More logically, I should be more insulted if someone were to insult my country, my family, my personality, etc... because there's actually logical basis behind it.

By constantly bringing up your race, and trying to get better treatment than everyone else, is YOU singling YOURSELF out, not the world singling you out.

There hasn't be slavery for hundreds of years, and no one is trying to enslave you now. You know nothing of the subject, you just repeat what your parents say, even though the worst day of your life was when you broke a nail. Stop being so goddamn paranoid and move on. The rest of the world has. As I said, I'm Indian, and do we bitch and whine and moan about the oppression our ancestors went through? No. Because we know logically that we ourselves didn't experience it. It's not the fault of the people now what their parents did, much less their ancestors. Get the fuck over it and yourselves. Saiyan-Professor, please give me one logical reason for your offense to this, other than an imposed guilt-trip? If you really think about it, there is no reason whatsoever for you to complain.

What were we talking about again?
Last edited by Thanos on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:19 pm

Thanos wrote:What were we talking about again?
"Step into da Grand Tour!!!"
Last edited by Kendamu on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(they/she)

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:27 pm

GRAND TOUR GRAND TOUR...DRAGON BALL GEE TEE MOTHER EFFER!

Yeah anyways uhm.... LOOK OVER THERE A THREE HEADED MONKEY!
-Laserkid

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanos wrote:Huge post about stuff that I agree with
Well said man! I am not trying to be racist(in fact I hate racists! :P) but I saw that all the time back in High School.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash