'Ultimate' DBZ Information Site

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

'Ultimate' DBZ Information Site

Post by omae no kaasan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:45 am

I was feeling randy today so I searched my first name on the board. I was shocked to see it actually had a ton of listings here in discussions related to canon material.

Since I consider this to be DBZ`s last outpost on the IntraNet, allow me to say it here, forget everything and anything you read on my site. The site was intended to get people interested in the series and to keep me off the mean streets of predominantly caucasian upper middle class historic Hackettstown.

If you cling to 95% of what you find there aside from a few of the later translations, it`s mostly a conglomeration of my fanboy wishes. I keep it up because every once in a while I`ll get an e-mail from someone who used to read it and they enjoyed clicking through what works (it`s ALL online actually, the old image links are just pointing at dead locations) and that`s cool to hear from people who it inspired and got into Japanese animation, which after all, was the point.

The timeline is riddled with mistakes and my own conjectures.

The character guide and attack guide contain waaaaaaaaaaay too much speculation and personal opinions that I derived from my own half-assed translations.

The character biographies are also based on shitty (albeit nostalgic) translations from fansubbers.

Now 6-year olds know the Little Known Facts.

I called the guy Raditzu.

Do yourself a favor, don`t ever go by anything on it. If you must, revist it for nostalgic purposes and enjoy how a middle schooler attempted to spread love for a medium of entertainment he would eventually come to approach with apathy and pessimism.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:31 am

What a very, humble post....

You have my respect, good sir. *bows*
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Son Wukong
Regular

Re: `Ultimate` DBZ Information Site

Post by Son Wukong » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:11 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:spread love for a medium of entertainment he would eventually come to approach with apathy and pessimism.
...Why? if I might ask

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:01 pm

Son Wukong wrote:
omae no kaasan wrote:spread love for a medium of entertainment he would eventually come to approach with apathy and pessimism.
...Why? if I might ask
Just making a conjecture here, but go to places like 4chan's /a/ or Anime News Network. Go look what happened to that medium of entertainment.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:18 pm

4chan is the devil. ANN, is ok if you don't go to forums, but 4chan is the devil.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:19 pm

B wrote:
Son Wukong wrote:
...Why? if I might ask
Just making a conjecture here, but go to places like 4chan's /a/ or Anime News Network. Go look what happened to that medium of entertainment.
Oh he meant it that way. I misunderstood ''medium of entertainment'' as ''anime'' in general. Never mind then. Although I never guessed ANN had a bad rep, I mean I just visit the main site for the news and that is it.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Super Sonic wrote:4chan is the devil. ANN, is ok if you don't go to forums, but 4chan is the devil.
Not totally, I'm a /co/mrade myself, and /toy/ is the friendliest place since they talk about... toys and Kamen Rider/Sentai stuff. :D

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Yeah...Japanese animation in general turns me off from how 'perfect' the animation looks these days to the copying off of a few good ideas from the 80's and 90's that have been mercislessly repeated time and again.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:40 am

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions....

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:45 am

Super Sonic wrote:4chan is the devil. ANN, is ok if you don't go to forums, but 4chan is the devil.
As a frequenter of Anime News Network's forums, may I ask why you think it's so bad?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:32 am

penguintruth wrote:
As a frequenter of Anime News Network's forums, may I ask why you think it's so bad?
I was just speculating to the other guy calling it bad. That was the only thing could think of at the time. Didn't mean to actually call them bad. (Wouldn't really know myself).

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:42 am

Like someone (I believe Kaboom) said, you can't judge 4chan by the shenanigans that go on in /b/.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:07 am

Other then this site, MFG is a good site for DBZ info. Their fourms are full with good and nice people (some of them can be annoying but everyone else is fine).

Moviecodec and Mangafox are fourms that you stay way from IMO.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:08 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Other then this site, MFG is a good site for DBZ info.
What with their fake Toriyama interviews and whatnot...
(That is the site I'm thinking of... right?)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:23 am

It's the one that lists AF as a "possibility". Also, lotsa lotsa ads. Good for pretty pictures but I find that's about it.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:08 am

Big Momma wrote:

Like someone (I believe Kaboom) said, you can't judge 4chan by the shenanigans that go on in /b/.
Thanks for crediting the more well known member with what I said :lol:

But yeah, 4chan hate should be specified to the different boards...
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:33 am

I love how a very respectable thread about a great site, and a great man, that helped shape our fandom, specifically the Japanese side of it, has turned into which forums people like and don't like. And what other DBZ sites are good... Sorry Greg... you still have my respect though.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:09 am

Hujio wrote:I love how a very respectable thread about a great site, and a great man, that helped shape our fandom, specifically the Japanese side of it, has turned into which forums people like and don't like. And what other DBZ sites are good... Sorry Greg... you still have my respect though.
But didn't he just finish telling us how it wasn't a great site, because it was a lot of fanwankery instead of information?

Though, I have to admit, I spent quite a lot of time on that site in high school.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:52 am

What with their fake Toriyama interviews and whatnot.
What fake interview? The OBD on Narutofan is a section of their forums with people who know a lot of the DB series also. They do a good job with their DB profiles on their wiki:

http://obd.wikispaces.com/Dragon+Ball
http://obd.wikispaces.com/Dragon+Ball+Movies
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:12 am

Hi, all:

Please keep your personal opinions about and experiences with other (current) DBZ/anime sites out of this. Those sites are those sites, and have little relevance here.

As for Greg's site, well hey... we LOVE keeping old sites alive on the internet long past their relevance ^_~. It's incredibly helpful with being able to directly point to where specific things come from (whether it's information, discussion, whatever...). Greg, I think where at least folks like myself, Julian, Hujio, Herms, etc. are coming from with linking to / discussing your site are really just that: pointing out where specific things came from. There's little doubt that half the shit some of us put online a decade ago is even remotely accurate anymore, but it's a great way to look back and see how things have evolved. I think some of our favorite examples have been getting "USSJ" from Curtis and "(year) AD" from you.

It's all in the interest of fun and informational exploration!

So no, those of us "in the know" aren't really taking any of the information as literal fact anymore, but mostly using its placement on the web and its historical significance to explain away (or confirm) certain ideas. And hey, since you started in... what, 1997?... that shit's old, yo!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::