The Dragon Ball Wiki

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bkev
I Live Here

Re: The Dragon Ball Wiki

Post by bkev » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:18 pm

I know this probably isn't my place, but I had no idea we were all on a first-name basis with anyone besides Big V (or even him, really). Just sayin'. Anyway, on topic: if the completely made-up stuff was eliminated, the dub terminology and such might not be so bad.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:23 pm

I'm perfectly fine with folks calling me "Mike"... except that we have another forum member with the user name "Mike"... so...

Let's just stick with "Fiendish Overlord, Equal of Heaven".

In all seriousness (not that I'm not serious about the above...), so many of the issues and suggestions people are putting out there will already be taken care of with some other initiatives, so... *twiddles thumbs*
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:32 pm

But when can we expect these "initiatives" Mi- er, Mr. Fiendish Overlord, Equal of Heaven? We demand a timeframe, sir, a timeframe!

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:38 pm

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Rygol_7

This has got to go along with Todokama, Tazba, etc...
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Why is there even an article for that?

For extremely minor characters, you should just make one big article called "Minor Characters" and list them all in it. I mean, why the hell does Konkichi need a whole article? It's just a waste.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:11 pm

I hugely disagree. If someone or something has a formal name, why not give it a page? Part of the point is that it's NOT Wikipedia with its drastically different notoriety rules and such.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I hugely disagree. If someone or something has a formal name, why not give it a page? Part of the point is that it's NOT Wikipedia with its drastically different notoriety rules and such.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. They have a whole series to cover and focus 100% of it's effort on.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:57 pm

So unless I'm overlooking the obvious, it doesn't seem as if the DB wikia is in anything other than English. With some other fan wikis, like Bulbapedia, they have an English version, a Japanese version, a Spanish version, French version, etc., similar to Wikipedia itself. Someone posted google results a few pages back showing that an enormous amount of the DB wikia's traffic comes from Portugal, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, etc. So I find it somewhat odd that there apparently isn't a Portuguese or Spanish version of the DB wikia.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:10 pm

Actually, surprisingly enough, they DO have the Wiki in different languages:

Spanish
French
Japanese
Cold World (Fanfic)

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Surprisingly, the Spanish wikia page uses the FUNimation dub-only name "Icarus". FUNimation terms on the Spanish page? Seriously?
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:58 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Actually, surprisingly enough, they DO have the Wiki in different languages:

Spanish
French
Japanese
Wow, thanks. Are there links to those versions anyway on the English pages? Because I looked around and couldn't find any.

The Spanish version seems to have a good number of articles, but they seem short compared to their English counterparts. I don't know much Spanish, so does anyone know how accurate the Spanish version is?

The French version has only 3 articles!

The Japanese version has a small number of articles, and seems to be largely copied from the DB articles on Japanese Wikipedia itself.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:16 am

Herms wrote:
The Japanese version has a small number of articles, and seems to be largely copied from the DB articles on Japanese Wikipedia itself.
Yeah, because I was reading at them and thinking: "this is too good for DB Wika". :P

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:54 am

I... can't believe what I am reading over on the Wikia response/forum threads. I just can't.

I need to break this down into simple English, and with sentences that cannot be taken out of context or only halfway-quoted.

(1) My name is Mike. My online handle is "VegettoEX". I run the website called Daizenshuu EX. The words that you are reading right now are posted on a forum that belongs to Daizenshuu EX. Other people, almost all of which do NOT work on the website called Daizenshuu EX, post here. They are all entitled to their own opinions. They do not represent me. I may agree with them. I may not.

(2) The biggest problem with the DB Wikia is NOT that it bases itself on FUNiation's English dub -- its biggest problem is that so much of its information is made-up bullshit. Countless examples of information that does not appear in any version of the franchise has been detailed and debunked.

(3) The fact that the DB Wikia does base so much of its information on FUNimation's English dub IS, however, a huge problem -- I have outlined these problems earlier in this thread, but none of the Wikia folks responding have chosen to read it, or at least acknowledge it. You end up creating numerous inconsistencies, mis-leading statements, and contradictions which combined with #2 above create a useless resource.

(4) The people who are responding on the DB Wikia cannot write well, they cannot argue well, and are in no position to be administrators over any group of information. It is supposed to be an "English" resource using an "English" version as its base, and yet these people cannot communicate properly in English. Furthermore, as has been showcased, the vast majority of their audience does not even come from English-speaking territories. They do not understand their audience, and they cannot effectively communicate to their audience.

The end result is that it is a complete failure. It is terrible information written terribly.

I am, in fact, so thoroughly disgusted with their arrogance about traffic and popularity (most of which appears to be their standard conjecture based on assumptions and poor research... par for the course), that I can't help myself with the following showcase of equal arrogance.

Where are the English-speaking (and often times other-language) experts on the franchise? Where are the translators that have worked on official publications? Where are the music producers? Where are the other unofficial guide authors? Where are the folks who are invited to speak at conferences and conventions? Where are the people with an understanding of the Japanese language? Where are the people who own every single last piece of reference material? Where are the people that have been doing this kind of stuff for longer than the idea of a "wiki" has ever existed? Where are the people whose reviews are quoted? Where are the industry press relations employees looking? Where are the interviews being granted? Where is the news being broken?

They obviously don't help out on the DB Wikia, or this conversation wouldn't even be taking place.

I'm being an asshole now. Do you want me to keep going?

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Sorry, I just have to add some fuel to the fire:
10X Kamehameha wrote:Now, please try and deal with the fact that we are using the FUNi dub, it's not going to change, it's the better choice, and the English manga is not. The info that Herms specifically stated was mostly from that dub (the most popular source to our audience) and it's more accurate to them then the Viz interpretation. We do not allow fan-made info, and if it's found then that's something that you don't want, we don't want, no one wants, and should be deleted. Fan-info is not something we associate ourselves with, and is just an unfortunate rare byproduct of an open site. The benefits (such as having about 100 times the info of any given other DB site) far outweigh the occasional slip.
When I mentioned arrogance and a complete lack of understanding, this is what I was talking about. The complete idiocy of this entire post is just baffling beyond belief. These are the people responsible for the information on the Wikia?! It all makes so much sense now (not that it didn't before).

You think that the FUNi dub is a better choice than Viz's manga translations because the dub is more accurate?! - First off, which dub are you even talking about. Secondly, no, it's not.

You don't allow fan-made info on the Wikia?! - Well buddy, I've got news for you... apparently you do allow it, because it's all over the site. It's everywhere!

Fan-made info is just an unfortunate rare byproduct of an open site?! - If by "rare" you mean "frequent occurrence on almost every page," then yes, it's quite rare. But hey, at least you got the "unfortunate" part right.

You don't associate yourselves with fan-made info?! - It's kind of hard not to associate yourselves with it, since it's on your site!

The benefits of having about 100 times the info than any other DB site far outweigh the occasional slip?! - Wow... I didn't know you were a math major, because I'd love to see that stat worked out. And as I've said before, I'll take the 100% accurate info any day of the week over something that's 100% questionable bull-shit. Quality, not quantity, people. They are words to live by.

At this point I'm like Mike, "so thoroughly disgusted with their arrogance about traffic and popularity". No one like that should be given any sort of power to maintain information, as the information ultimately takes a back seat to popularity. As far as I'm concerned at this point, I have no interest in anything related to the DB Wikia. It is a complete and utter failure. It is terribly run with no concept of accuracy, no tolerance for intelligent discussions, or rational thinking. I'm done...
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:50 pm

I don't really think it's worth getting worked up about. Very soon we will have our own Wiki. And over time, it will be bigger, better, and more accurate than theirs. We'll have standards. We'll have quality control. We'll have better information. And I'm sure, people will naturally gravitate to it once there is some substance.

The best way to fix the giant cancer that is the DB Wiki is to provide an alternative for those who really want it. Even those who prefer dub names will wind up looking things up on the Kanzenshuu Wiki. Because sooner or later, they're going to need information they know they can trust.

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:13 pm

10X Kamehameha wrote:The info that Herms specifically stated was mostly from that dub (the most popular source to our audience) and it's more accurate to them then the Viz interpretation. We do not allow fan-made info, and if it's found then that's something that you don't want, we don't want, no one wants, and should be deleted. Fan-info is not something we associate ourselves with, and is just an unfortunate rare byproduct of an open site. The benefits (such as having about 100 times the info of any given other DB site) far outweigh the occasional slip.
Heh. I guess it's not just a river in Egypt, then.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Ugh this attitude is so unbearably obnoxious. It's like I can see the smug dripping down my computer screen. This just makes me want to see the Daizex Wiki completed even more.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Herms wrote:Heh. I guess it's not just a river in Egypt, then.

No, for some it is very much a way of life. :P Seriously though, I can't imagine how anyone can be so ignorant when the facts are being presented in a well thought-out manner. You'd think if you were such a huge fan of the franchise, you would do your best to inform others about it with the most accurate facts possible. No matter what version you watch, there is only one version of the story despite any inaccuracies between dubs. I just don't get it.
Trans rights, now!

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:41 pm

The big racism discussion also tickles me. Does this 10XKamehameha guy even know what racism is? Let's assume that Flashdude meant that Americans don't read. Guess what? That's not racism. The clue is in the word. Do we actually know where Flashdude hails from anyway? :P Of course, all this is null and void since that wasn't what he was implying.

And we also have Mr SSJ4Lewich, who knows" that the wiki is "the best resource for anything Dragon Ball". Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night, buddy. And, ironically, as a Scot, he probably came across DB through the Ocean dub and not the Funi version he swears by. :P

SSJGoku93, I commend your efforts, but... when you have these kinds of people running the place, it's obvious that not much can be done.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:44 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Do we actually know where Flashdude hails from anyway? :P
I hail from the Swamplands.

Florida.