The Dragon Ball Wiki

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Re: The Dragon Ball Wiki

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:46 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:Do we actually know where Flashdude hails from anyway? :P
I hail from the Swamplands.

Florida.
Aaaaand that just makes the whole debate the most hilarious thing I've ever read. Incidentally, have you mentioned this in the forum?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:51 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Incidentally, have you mentioned this in the forum?
The thought occurred to me, particularly after 10XKamehameha got the impression I was implying that SSJGoku93 was racist and defended him by saying:
Assuming he was American, I don't think he would have thought he was saying something bad about his own country
But I'm sure if I'd mentioned I was American too, he'd have said I was the "self-hating" sort of American or something...

SSJGoku93

Post by SSJGoku93 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:57 pm

I apologize Mr. Flashdude, on the behalf of my "comrades"... I'm not to sure how a discussion based on improving a source for Dragon Ball turned into a racism debate, but hopefully it was settled?
"Hurting innocent people is something I don't tolerate!" - Goku

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:06 pm

SSJGoku93 wrote:I apologize Mr. Flashdude, on the behalf of my "comrades"... I'm not to sure how a discussion based on improving a source for Dragon Ball turned into a racism debate, but hopefully it was settled?
Because of cheesy issues, Just change the character, faction, and attack names to the Japanese transliterated names so we can get this settled.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:12 pm

SSJGoku93 wrote:I apologize Mr. Flashdude, on the behalf of my "comrades"... I'm not to sure how a discussion based on improving a source for Dragon Ball turned into a racism debate, but hopefully it was settled?
I certainly don't intend to continue any discussion with him, so we can say it's settled. I appreciate the apology and want to extend my own for being too sarcastic. Turns out that stuff doesn't fly well on the internet.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:30 pm

The rank stupidity in the quotations posted here hurts.
And to think, Mike has put up with it about a zillion and a half times more than I.
I totally applaud the patience, mighty admin.

Psst: Will be excited when the Kanzenshuu wiki is finally born.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Wait a minute, isn't the Dragonball Wiki just like Wikipedia? Why don't we all just make accounts and work on the corrections ourselves? With enough people and patience, we could all fix the Dragonball Wiki by tonight (going by my clock anyway).
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:50 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Wait a minute, isn't the Dragonball Wiki just like Wikipedia? Why don't we all just make accounts and work on the corrections ourselves? With enough people and patience, we could all fix the Dragonball Wiki by tonight (going by my clock anyway).
As has been described in excruciating detail, plenty of people have tried -- totally ignoring subjective things like name romanizations, even the most basic of factual information corrections are continuously reverted by their administrators.

This is a showcase how they have no desire to be seen as an authoritative, evidence- and research-based collection of information. They can rest on what delusional laurels they think they have while it withers into irrelevance. Folks are right -- it's no longer worth the attention.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:42 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Wait a minute, isn't the Dragonball Wiki just like Wikipedia? Why don't we all just make accounts and work on the corrections ourselves? With enough people and patience, we could all fix the Dragonball Wiki by tonight (going by my clock anyway).
As has been described in excruciating detail, plenty of people have tried -- totally ignoring subjective things like name romanizations, even the most basic of factual information corrections are continuously reverted by their administrators.

This is a showcase how they have no desire to be seen as an authoritative, evidence- and research-based collection of information. They can rest on what delusional laurels they think they have while it withers into irrelevance. Folks are right -- it's no longer worth the attention.
Ah, good point. I still think it would have been a little fun. I mean there is no way they could stop all of us. :lol:

However, enough is enough. The best solution is to ignore them, I just feel so bad for the people who are getting false information.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

SSJGoku93

Post by SSJGoku93 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:51 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:
Because of cheesy issues, Just change the character, faction, and attack names to the Japanese transliterated names so we can get this settled.
It is beyond my power to do so, I'm not the "head" admin and I know for a fact some of the community would be outraged... even then that is not the main problem. My main concern if fixing the misinformation and citing correct sources.
"Hurting innocent people is something I don't tolerate!" - Goku

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:52 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I just feel so bad for the people who are getting false information.
Quality will speak for itself in the end. If anybody truly wants accurate information they will find it at the proper place.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:57 pm

SSJGoku93 wrote:My main concern if fixing the misinformation and citing correct sources.
If only that were the main concern of other people there. Then maybe it would've been fixed by now by the people who've gone there only to have their changes reverted back to misinformation.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:31 pm

Take out the things saying "Fighter A should have been able to beat Fighter B, since Fighter A beat Fighter C in movie A.".
I've seen that quite a bit from articles about Broly. >.>
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:19 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:38 am

SSJGoku93 wrote:To be honest I wish my comrades over on the Wiki felt the same as myself, and as you guys do. I feel like I alone have to fix the damn site up myself, and I've spend hours only to get 3 articles done, with even more to go on those as well.
That's why I left. I was there when it was originally made, and it was going bad then. I've been back a few times to fix it up, but my edits were always reverted.

Also I don't go there because for some reason, I always get trojans..... :?

I just think it would be best for the Admins there to get together to discuss certain things like naming schemes and citable information. From the way that place goes, Son Goku's father is named Burdock and was really a brilliant scientist who invented the fake moonlight technique (Thanks to Ocean). I just think that the Wiki has to convert to all forms of English based information sources, not only the most available kind (FUNI), because most available by no means makes it the most accurate source.

We're not saying that FUNI can't be used, but I think that more people would take the Wiki more seriously if it was based on Viz information and naming schemes, with mentions of alterations that FUNI made from the original series.

I'd also encourage editors to watch the movies in Japanese with English subtitles, because they could learn information from subtitles that they never knew before. I think it's essential that they do this, being that it is the English Dragon Ball Wiki and not Funimation Wiki. It should be their mission to learn everything about Dragon Ball, and that includes all English aspects of the series including the manga series.
Last edited by Ketchup_Revenge on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:49 am

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:Also I don't go there because for some reason, I always get trojans..... :?
Yeah, it's apparently got a large issue with ads and spyware, as reported by other members in this very thread, so unless you have proper protection, I'd definitely steer clear from even entering the site. Fortunately, since I've joined Daizenshuu EX, I've known that the Dragon Ball wiki was crap to begin with, so I've never even bothered to go.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:20 am

Just picked a random article (in this case "Future Vegeta") and went hunting for mistakes based on what we see in the series itself and not bringing the guidebooks into the equation, just to see how much misinformation there is on the most basic surface level of information. And boy, it's an extremely small article, but speculation ahoy.
Dragon Ball Wiki wrote:Future Vegeta was the lover of Future Bulma (it is doubtful they had gotten married)
Says who? Random Editor #34? Source?
Dragon Ball Wiki wrote:In hindsight, Future Vegeta's death at the hands of the Androids even as a Super Saiyan could be interpreted as a very strong foreshadowing of an important plot developments: that Future Gohan and Future Trunks (both who only attained the first Super Saiyan transformation) would fail miserably in their respective fights against the Future Androids.
What is this I don't even... how is this trivia, how is it foreshadowing, what purpose does this sentence serve? It's like someone playing connect-the-dots with the plot. It's like saying that because Goku was a Super Saiyan and was killed because of Cell, Trunks would be too, because he was also a Super Saiyan. These events don't even happen in that order for the viewer, so it most certainly is not "foreshadowing". Just asinine.

And this is in an article of a character who appears for less that one minute in total. You can imagine the horrors of the main Vegeta article, in which most of the trivia is either pointless or grammatically lacking: Vegeta "loses less and less body armor" as the series goes on? Come on! And it seems that SSJGoku93 was the one who changed it from being somewhat correct to rather poorly-worded. Not a great way to clean up the Wiki, man.

I also found a little gold nugget that went something like: "Future Vegeta is shown to be Super Saiyan in the manga as he appears in a panel of the Trunks Special chapter as a Super Saiyan", which is just flat-out, completely, categorically wrong. How difficult is it to not fuck that up? The mind boggles. And the worst part is I can't even correct it, since only registered users are allowed to edit that article.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:48 am

The Tori-bot wrote:
Dragon Ball Wiki wrote:Future Vegeta was the lover of Future Bulma (it is doubtful they had gotten married)
Actually doesn't Trunks specifically tell Goku that they never got married? Which would make "it is doubtful they got married" a bit of an understatement.
And this is in an article of a character who appears for less that one minute in total. You can imagine the horrors of the main Vegeta article
I think part of the problem may in fact be that it's an article about a character with so small a role in the story. They want as many articles as possible, so they end up with entire articles devoted to "Future Vegeta", who should arguably be limited to a subsection on the Vegeta page. Since there's so little genuine information on the character, in order to keep their article from being laughably short they fill it with fluff like that "foreshadowing" bit. In my admittedly limited experience reading the wiki, I've noticed that shorter articles tend to have a higher ratio of pure nonsense to good (if still often slightly garbled and poorly worded) information.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:47 am

Herms wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:
Actually doesn't Trunks specifically tell Goku that they never got married? Which would make "it is doubtful they got married" a bit of an understatement.
Ha, he does, I completely forgot about that. :P

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:12 am

Jake, I read the guide. I should fix up some race names to match closely with the Daizenshuu.

http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... =7&t=10743
http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... 2&p=194502
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/List_o ... ragon_Ball

UPDATE: I re-arranged them based on the book:
Main Races

* Animal
* Android
* Freeza's Unnamed Race
* Human
* Kaiō
* Majin
* Oni
* Namekian
* Saiyan
* Tsufuru-jin
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads