Official Spanish OP and ED for Kai (ANOTHER BAD UPDATE)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Official Spanish OP and ED for Kai (ANOTHER BAD UPDATE)

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:36 pm

The audio quality is not that great, but the official Spanish versions for "Dragon Soul!" and "Yeah! Break! Care! Break!" for the Latin American dub of Dragon Ball Kai have been revealed. Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about them yet because the audio quality is not good enough for me to make a determination. From a passing glance, though, they sound pretty good.

http://www.anmtvla.com/2010/10/dragon-b ... s-los.html

EDIT (ADDITION): Man...as far as maintaining the original cast, the Spanish dub keeps getting more and more screwed. They originally announced that Ricardo Silva (the guy who did Chala Head Chala for them and--I think--We Gotta Power) would be singing the songs, but not even he will be back. This version is sung by a new guy called Mario Veras, according to this article:

http://www.anmtvla.com/2010/10/irwin-da ... sobre.html

NOTE: This should confirm once and for all that Anghelo is a pirate who is in no way related to the official production of Kai in Latin America.

HUGE UPDATE: Thanks to Puto, an English translation of the Spanish lyrics has been provided (top post, second page of this thread). The interesting thing? The lyrics--for both "Dragon Soul" and "Yeah! Break! Care! Break"--bear a striking resemblance to the English adaptations of DS and YBCB. While it must be emphasized that nothing is confirmed yet, it suggests that the songs are, in fact, based on the English versions of the songs.

Now...so far it's just the songs that are similar. We haven't heard the dialogue yet. But an idea has crossed my mind, feel free to chip in. The similarities make me wonder if maybe FUNimation might be "pulling a 4Kids" with the international dubs. Allow me to explain. As some of you know, whenever 4Kids acquires an anime, they tend to grab not only the domestic distribution rights, but also international distribution rights outside of Asia. Thus, all the foreign-language dubs of any anime that 4Kids has are based on the 4Kids version, meaning that while the dialogue is dubbed into the corresponding languages of the various countries, the footage they use is the pre-edited 4Kids footage, which includes all edits they have made to the visuals, music, and sound effects. The scripts for those dubs are also based on the revised English scripts of the 4Kids dubs, as well.

Even before 4Kids, it wouldn't be unheard of. Most of the European dubs for DBZ, for example, were based on the pre-edited footage provided to them by France (the French dub was the first European dub of DBZ and, I think, the first foreign-language adaptation of DBZ ever). Likewise, a lot of the European dubs based their scripts on the revised French scripts.

So that makes me wonder...does that mean FUNimation is doing that with Dragon Ball Kai? Is the Mexican dub actually going to be a Mexican adaptation of a US adaptation? Again, nothing confirmed, but the similarity in the lyrics, combined with the fact that Irwin Dayaan mentioned FUNimation as being involved somehow...makes me wonder. Interestingly enough, there's also this article (http://www.anmtvla.com/2010/09/dragon-b ... so-en.html), which, after being translated in Google Translate, has one very interesting sentence:

"At first it was said that everything was the fault of FUNimation, but apparently that information is wrong as we have been contacted and we have rectified that they alone are the providers of the material (in this case, Kai episodes dubbed in English )..."

Would someone tell me if this is an accurate translation or just Google Translate being too literal? Because if it isn't a translation error, it's looking more and more like the Spanish dub is actually going to be a Spanish dub of an English dub.

UPDATE: Thanks to AgitoZ, we have confirmed that the translation, while a bit "literal," is essentially accurate. The sentence says that the material provided to the Spanish dubbing studio was, in fact, the English-dubbed episodes. I can't imagine this will bode well for Spanish audiences. First the vast majority of their original voice cast is gone, and now they're not even getting a direct translation?...Something tells me this won't go over well with the fans of the Spanish dub.

UPDATE 10/30/2010: IT SUCKS to be a fan of the Mexican dub of DBZ. At least if you're expecting a similar experience for Kai. They've been dealt blow after blow after blow, with many of the main cast members leaving, the old theme song singer leaving, and getting a dub based on the English dub...well, it looks like things may have just gotten worse. It appears as though the Mexican dub is not only going to be based on the English dub, but the Nicktoons-censored English dub. Someone with a better knowledge of the Spanish language, feel free to elaborate, but it looks as though the Spanish opening and ending themes are being shortened down to the one minute versions that were shown on Nicktoons. They might even be keeping the English credits without bothering to translate them into Spanish. Irwin Daayan also noted via his twitter account that they have received fifty-four English-dubbed episodes so far, so that gives us a better idea of how far along FUNimation is with our English dub. This seems to be a logcial stopping point given that Planet Namek explodes in episode 54. Like I said, someone with better knowledge of Spanish, feel free to elaborate (Google Translate isn't being friendly to me here).

Kinda sucks to be a fan of the Mexican dub right now, huh? The Brazillian dub fans don't have it quite as bad.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 9 times in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: The Official Spanish Opening and Ending Themes for Kai

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Might as well post a translation of the article.
ANMTV wrote:Like we commented recently the official Youtube channel of Mexican studio Candiani, has posted a few hours ago the latino opening and endings of Dragon Ball Kai which are sung by Mario Veras as Irwin Daayán previously said. ANMTV again would like to clarify that we confirm that same day the feedback from the channel were official from a member of Candiani Studios.

We are also speaking to the actors who were accused of asking a large amount of money for doing their job, as you may have noticed some prefer to avoid explaining, recently Mario Castañeda has told us and we believe everything has been spoken, like he himself said "life keeps going forward", simply anyone can draw their own conclusions, obviously the case is closed. Without further ado we present the respective opening and ending.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotensottile » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Umm...weren't those Anghelo's versions?
Yeah...they are. I heard those back when the Anghelo thing was going on.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Their ending theme is a million times more listenable than FUNimation's.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Their ending theme is a million times more listenable than FUNimation's.
I like Jerry Jewel, both as an actor and the songs he did for some of my favorite anime...but he was having an off day with Yeah! Break! Care! Break!...that, or the direction wasn't all that good for the song.

Ironically, I think I understand the Spanish version more, and I haven't had Spanish since 10th or 11th grade in High School. <_<
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Agreed with Innagadadavida, although during Dragon Soul one of the lines sounds like it's just FUNimation's version in Spanish. Is that case? I heard that on "We will fight for love and glory, we will live to tell the story!".

I like these versions, both songs sound like the guy was fucking excited to record a Dragon Ball theme!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:40 pm

gotensottile wrote:Umm...weren't those Anghelo's versions?
Yeah...they are. I heard those back when the Anghelo thing was going on.
Nope. Here's Anghelo's version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17TolZH5PEQ

It's different.

Actually, would somebody mind providing an English translation of the Spanish lyrics?
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Their ending theme is a million times more listenable than FUNimation's.
Really? I thought FUNimation's ending theme was kinda... good. Oh well, guess you feel differently. :?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Really? I thought FUNimation's ending theme was kinda... good. Oh well, guess you feel differently. :?
It's not that it's bad (though it's not his best work), but it does sound somewhat off.

I thought he did better for Yu Yu Hakusho's Fourth Ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwYmxmXtKtc

But, I do like the song to a degree. It just kind of sounded a bit less clear than I would have preferred.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:57 pm

Mewzard wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
It's not that it's bad (though it's not his best work), but it does sound somewhat off.

I thought he did better for Yu Yu Hakusho's Fourth Ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwYmxmXtKtc
Jerry Jewell is a great actor and a great singer, I just don't think YBCB was for him. He has a very soft, gentle voice that's very well-suited for ballads, but not high-energy songs like YBCB. Then again, I didn't like that song much better in Japanese anyway, so it may not be my place to talk.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:14 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Actually, would somebody mind providing an English translation of the Spanish lyrics?
Maybe if I had the actual Spanish lyrics... I really don't want to do it by ear.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm disappointed it's not Ricardo Silva, but, ya'know, he'd probably be the odd-man out being one of the original voices to the series at this point.

Yeah Break is good. I also like it more than the English version.

Dragon Soul I'm not really into that much. He does sound enthusiastic, but it still sounds like "guy singing over instrumental track" I think it would've been way cool if it was an original composition or remix that fit the lyrics, like the original Mexican Chala.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:15 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:I'm disappointed it's not Ricardo Silva, but, ya'know, he'd probably be the odd-man out being one of the original voices to the series at this point.

Yeah Break is good. I also like it more than the English version.

Dragon Soul I'm not really into that much. He does sound enthusiastic, but it still sounds like "guy singing over instrumental track" I think it would've been way cool if it was an original composition or remix that fit the lyrics, like the original Mexican Chala.
The original Mexican Chala Head Chala used the original isntrumental track as well, they didn't make a different one. Having said that, I agree, the vocals do sound a little loud in comparison to the instrumental. My guess is that's probably the audio engineer's fault. Not the best mixing decision.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:01 pm

You're right, my bad. Had to Youtube that to make sure... It's been a while I guess.

What dub had the original Cha La arrangement then? I remember it being pretty good, and somehow that fell into being the Latino Cha La in my memory. :?
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:05 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:You're right, my bad. Had to Youtube that to make sure... It's been a while I guess.

What dub had the original Cha La arrangement then? I remember it being pretty good, and somehow that fell into being the Latino Cha La in my memory. :?
The Chile CD version had a custom instrumental as did the German, European Spanish, Catalan & Galician versions.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Is this common that manga openings and endings are dubbed in Spanish?

I know that in France:
- They used to create new openings with new (bad) songs for the opening/ending, and make the insert songs instrumental.
- Nowadays, all songs are left "as is", in Japanese, even when the episodes are aired on TV.

When Kai arrives in France (let's hope it does not before the series is over because meanwhile it is officially legal to own them in France, but will be illegal the second an editor officially states "we acquired the Kai license for French territories, we'll make a French version"), there'll be no new openings/endings/insert songs, they'll be left in Japanese.

Is France the only country who prefers to keep the Japanese songs? Do you guys think it's a good or a bad thing?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:11 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Is this common that manga openings and endings are dubbed in Spanish?

I know that in France:
- They used to create new openings with new (bad) songs for the opening/ending, and make the insert songs instrumental.
- Nowadays, all songs are left "as is", in Japanese, even when the episodes are aired on TV.

When Kai arrives in France (let's hope it does not before the series is over because meanwhile it is officially legal to own them in France, but will be illegal the second an editor officially states "we acquired the Kai license for French territories, we'll make a French version"), there'll be no new openings/endings/insert songs, they'll be left in Japanese.

Is France the only country who prefers to keep the Japanese songs? Do you guys think it's a good or a bad thing?
I'm not too familiar with the French policy on dubbing songs, but it's not unheard of. For all Disney movies, for example, the songs are dubbed into the corresponding languages (France included). As for anime, I'm really not sure.

As far as North America, it really varies whether or not songs will be dubbed. It varies according to the dubbing company in charge and it varies according to the anime in question. Some Japanese companies are really adamant that the Japanese themes be maintained, and others are more relaxed.

Personally, I LOVE it when songs are dubbed. Not just dubbed into English, but dubbed into any language. To hear so many different interpretations, and study what works and what doesn't...that really fascinates me. Then again, I'm biased because I'm really into voice acting and dubbing in general (I am an actual voice actor in real life, after all). Regardless, I love it when songs are dubbed for the same reason that I like it when actual spoken dialogue is dubbed; it break the language barrier and allows the emotional meaning behind the words to hit closer to home. Personally, I've never understood it when spoken dialogue is dubbed and the songs are not--the whole point of a dub is to break the language barrier, so how come we're allowed to break the language barrier with spoken dialogue and not with songs?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:56 pm

They didn't say the Spanish equivalent of "live your live like a Kamehameha" in the ending. So FUNimation's version is automatically better. :P

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Even though I don't know Spanish, I've listened to both songs several times now. I think they are good.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:44 pm

Heard it. Basically the Spanish translation of the Funimation dub. I don't like the pausing in between words. He sings out of sync with not only the music but with the original singers of Dokkan Dokkan.