It's just so weird hearing Goku curse.

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

It's just so weird hearing Goku curse.

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Watching the Japanese version, I see a curse word written in the subtitles and know that it's being spoken by him, but in my mind his voice will always be Sean Schemmel so it never phased me. Up until Kai, Goku had never cursed in the English dub (unless I'm mistaken), so it caught me completely off guard the first time I heard it. Did this happen to anyone else?
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Re: It's just so weird hearing Goku curse.

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Yeah, its been happening to me too. Whenever I watch the dub, and Goku curses, its just really awkward. I mean, it never goes beyond "Damn," but for Dragonball, that is really out of place. I wouldn't put it past Frieza to curse, but hearing it from the main character is just... wrong.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:37 pm

Well, you've never really heard Goku speaking properly as Goku in English before, the same way no-one had ever heard Freeza speaking properly as Freeza in English before.

And even now, I'd wager it's still not entirely there for Goku, but it's certainly closer than it's ever been before.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Just like we never heard Goku call himself Son Goku in English before... and we finally did.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:01 pm

Hearing English dub Goku curse really irritates me, I don't know why, and I don't mind if any other characters curse but it just doesn't feel right coming from Goku.

Isn't he pure hearted? Aren't pure hearted people not supposed to curse?

Also, it seems like FUNimation adds in extra unnecessary cursing just to promote the DVDs uncut or something. They use "Damn" and "Bastard" way too much.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Codarik wrote:Isn't he pure hearted? Aren't pure hearted people not supposed to curse?
Cursing in Japanese doesn't work quite the same as it does in English, but Gokuu has had very rude speech from the very beginning, prior to getting Kintoun. So speech mannerisms clearly aren't a factor in determining purity in Dragon Ball.
-Rachel

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:19 pm

I actually have no problem with (FUNimation) Goku saying "damn". I think anything past that would be awkward for me. Also, I don't think "damn" is really a curse. It might be harsh language for a cartoon but, to say it's a curse.... I don't know.
Codarik wrote: Isn't he pure hearted? Aren't pure hearted people not supposed to curse?
Well since he's so innocent and pure hearted, he has no idea the language he's using would be considered vulgar. He pretty much says whatever's on his mind, totally oblivious to manners. He just dosen't know any better. Like a child.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:24 pm

I think the problem is Schemmel's delivery. Whenever Gokuu drops 'kuso', 'chikushou', 'yarou', et cetera she plays it straight. Schemmel's delivery a lot of the time is just too heavy-handed.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Codarik wrote:Hearing English dub Goku curse really irritates me, I don't know why, and I don't mind if any other characters curse but it just doesn't feel right coming from Goku.

Also, it seems like FUNimation adds in extra unnecessary cursing just to promote the DVDs uncut or something. They use "Damn" and "Bastard" way too much.
You're working on the fallacy that cursing is immoral. They're just words, what is considered "Cursing" changes depending on culture and time.
Did you know that in Charles Dickens' time, "Humbug" was a bad curse on the level of "bullshit" by today's standards.

It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:28 pm

No, actually, I think swearing can be very useful when you're say, fighting a bad guy who's attacking your family or something. Swearing can put fear in his/her heart and shows them that you're not a wuss. Goku never really swears outside of a fight (from what I can remember), so I don't think he's really wrong for using them outside of those circumstances.

I wondered the same thing when he apparently let Vegeta go, not out of mercy, but because he wanted to fight him again, knowing full well that it was selfish. Part of the reason I still consider mercy to be his primary reason, even if Goku didn't put that into words. Because otherwise, it just doesn't make sense (because he still gets to ride the Nimbus afterwards).
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Goku is raised in the woods and regularly fights universe-threatening super villains. Why is it unrealistic for him to bust out a "damn"?

I suppose it sounds odd because you're aware you're essentially watching a children's cartoon, but as long as it doesn't go too far past "damn," I can't imagine it standing out at all. You know what sounds really weird? Everyone saying "darn," a la the old dub.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:05 pm

He's a crass hillbilly manchild.

Why do people still have difficulty understanding this character?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Why are people complaining about Goku saying "damn"? It's not that bad of a word.
-Joey

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:28 pm

penguintruth wrote:He's a crass hillbilly manchild.

Why do people still have difficulty understanding this character?
Because it was literally never shown to anyone that exclusively watched the English dub cartoon. That Goku talks about light in the darkness and swords of injustice.

While I'm here it would have been cool if Gohan never swore during the Raditz stuff and only started doing it during and after training with Piccolo, did they do that?

Edit: Hell, did the Japanese version do that?

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:35 pm

it's not weird to hear Goku curse.. Cause he doesn't even CURSE.. All he says is "DAMN". It makes me kind of mad.. You can't say fuck to the enemy who killed your closest friends? LOL.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:17 pm

I'd actually expect Goku to curse before Freeza. Goku is a "hick" and isn't exactly educated. I wish DBZKai made him talk the way he apparently does in Japanese... you know, the, "ain't," "wanna," "gonna," all those slang phrases.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:30 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I'd actually expect Goku to curse before Freeza. Goku is a "hick" and isn't exactly educated. I wish DBZKai made him talk the way he apparently does in Japanese... you know, the, "ain't," "wanna," "gonna," all those slang phrases.
That's probably the best way to present it in English without having Schemmel go full redneck. "Ahm Gawnha go Fait that thur Freeza Bastard Ah' Reckun!" would sound just a tad ridiculous...

The way he talks is pretty all-encompassing, It is literally like an accent. For example, he says "Ora" instead of "Ore", and that's really the tip of the iceberg (though his speech noticeably changes to the typical "Ore" when he goes SS for the first time)

Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way. And Clark Kakakent is, unfortunately, the character they put into the Dragon Ball Z dub in place of Son Goku. The Kai dub, however, has restored the once and future Son.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:42 pm

DemonRin wrote:Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way. And Clark Kakakent is, unfortunately, the character they put into the Dragon Ball Z dub in place of Son Goku. The Kai dub, however, has restored the once and future Son.
Eh, sometimes.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:54 am

In Japanese language, cursing isn't a big deal unlike English. Goku says many abusive epithets like "chikushou", but such words are even used by primary school teachers. There is no word that found as much dirty as fuck or shit in Japanese.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:00 am

I actually have no problems with any Dragon Ball Z characters swearing. If anything, it tell me they're sticking more closely to the characters. Just if you living in your parent's home, it could be awkward hearing and watching a cartoon with swears. Luckily, I haven't gotten in trouble over it, despite me being 18. :P
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O