New composer for Kai - who would it be?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

New composer for Kai - who would it be?

Post by Hades » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Let's assume that Toei decided to hire a new composer (no-one related to Dragonball series or games) to make a replacement for the Yamamoto score, and you had first nomination. Who would it be?

For me, it would have to be Jeremy Soule. He worked on the Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander Soundtrack, as well as some of the Elder Scrolls games. For computer games going as far back as 1997, he does some pretty nifty scores.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Dandroid17
Not-So-Newbie

Re: New composer for Kai - who would it be?

Post by Dandroid17 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:44 pm

hmmm I'd have to say Yuzo Koshiro, the Streets of Rage music producer!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Anime: One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, Death Note.
Series: Chuck, Heroes, Breaking Bad, Dexter.
Games: Asura's Wrath, GTA IV, Batman AA.

The composer of Budokai Tenkaichi 2 International isn't.. Kenji Yamamoto, is he? If so why would they swap the music on Raging Blast 2 composed by the same musician...
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Yoko Kanno.

Ahahaha, no. She's way too good for this franchise.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:56 am

penguintruth wrote:Yoko Kanno.

Ahahaha, no. She's way too good for this franchise.
Not to be offensive, but that makes me think of another scandal. Just sayin'. I like her works.

Dandroid17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dandroid17 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:37 am

way too good for this franchise?...ok... :roll:

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:59 am

Dandroid17 wrote:way too good for this franchise?...ok... :roll:
Uh, yeah, she... sort of really, honestly is.

I -love- DragonBall. It's a classic and very close to my heart.

She is -way- DragonBall's league. Furthermore, her style of music is probably not the best choice for DragonBall.

Honestly, I'd probably pick... Shirō Sagisu.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Dandroid17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dandroid17 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:04 am

I hope you're all talking about in comparison to the other musicians for the BGM because I don't think anyone is "too good" for Dragon Ball as a complete package...music aside it is legendary. Just my opinion though..

Arique
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arique » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:32 am

Nozomi Aoki.
Only because his music in Hokuto no Ken sounds pretty similar to some of the musical pieces in Kikuchi's DBZ score.
Forum quote of the moment:
Castor Troy wrote:You're all doing it wrong.

DBZ bootlegs have the movie 9 cover with the pioneer movie 2 description on the back and the disc actually has a Japanese soap opera in MEPG2. :roll:

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Shinji Myziaki, or something like that.
The guy who composes for Pokemon.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:48 pm

Not really a composer, but I'd love if they got Kouji Wada of Digimon fame to do some work for Digimon. I love his music, it's always incredible.

With that in mind, I thought of suggesting the composer from Digimon as well, but according to ANN, he's been dead since 2005. :? I haven't heard the Japanese BGM for any of the newer shows to know how good those guys would do.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Well, I think that...wait...
KaiserNeko wrote:Honestly, I'd probably pick... Shirō Sagisu.
Bah, somebody beat me to it! But yeah, brilliant composer, and he demonstrated through "Evangelion" that he could do both quiet/reflective music and booming-loud/battle music.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:05 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Anime: One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, Death Note.
Series: Chuck, Heroes, Breaking Bad, Dexter.
Games: Asura's Wrath, GTA IV, Batman AA.

The composer of Budokai Tenkaichi 2 International isn't.. Kenji Yamamoto, is he? If so why would they swap the music on Raging Blast 2 composed by the same musician...
If Yamamoto was the composer for BT2, it wouldn't matter, because the game has been out of print from what I remember.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:38 pm

^ Why would they swap around music that was composed by the same musician? It just doesn't make sense.

At least they picked a good international DBZ game replacement soundtrack.

Tenkaichi' 3's soundtrack international is terrible for me, I had to turn off the music, so annoying. Only two tracks out of all were worthy of listening (OP + EoS).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Dandroid17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dandroid17 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:44 pm

I think my favorite DB/Z/GT game soundtrack was Final Bout or maybe DBZ Legends. But yeah, back on topic, I still say it would be ultra cool for Kikuchi to create an all new score for Kai!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:54 pm

Dandroid17 wrote:I think my favorite DB/Z/GT game soundtrack was Final Bout or maybe DBZ Legends. But yeah, back on topic, I still say it would be ultra cool for Kikuchi to create an all new score for Kai!
That is what Toei Animation should have done, pay Shunsuke Kikuchi to compose new Kai BGMs instead of Yamamoto and then this whole scandal wouldn't have happened.

The DBZ film and Majin Boo BGMs would have suited Kai very nicely.

Take this for sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm6YkrMSOao (the English Kai Gohan SSJ2 is still to be released and the English Z Gohan SSJ2 had that awkward monologue, so I used the Portuguese Gohan SSJ2)
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Dandroid17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dandroid17 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:57 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Dandroid17 wrote:I think my favorite DB/Z/GT game soundtrack was Final Bout or maybe DBZ Legends. But yeah, back on topic, I still say it would be ultra cool for Kikuchi to create an all new score for Kai!
That is what Toei Animation should have done, pay Shunsuke Kikuchi to compose new Kai BGMs instead of Yamamoto and then this whole scandal wouldn't have happened.

The DBZ film and Majin Boo BGMs would have suited Kai very nicely.

Take this for sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm6YkrMSOao (the English Kai Gohan SSJ2 is still to be released and the English Z Gohan SSJ2 had that awkward monologue, so I used the Portuguese Gohan SSJ2)
yeah that is cool, it's something different. One of my all time favorite songs though was during that very scene! "Unmei no Hi" I believe it was called? Obviously that shouldn't be in Kai though since that was already in Z, so what you placed in there is perfect for it!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:09 pm

I'd like to hear what Taku Iwasaki would do for the show. Or maybe Kouhei Tanaka would be more appropriate.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Son Gohan Daimao

Post by Son Gohan Daimao » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:24 am

Takaki Hiroshi. I think he's done a great job with the recent Dragon Ball OVAs and the cutscenes on Ultimate Tenkaichi. I'm guessing they're reverting to him anyway. Plus I'd be curious to see what his music would sound like if we was composing for a television series since his the music he's done for the OVAs and cutscenes were more... cinematic I guess.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:01 am

Son Gohan Daimao wrote:Takaki Hiroshi. I think he's done a great job with the recent Dragon Ball OVAs and the cutscenes on Ultimate Tenkaichi. I'm guessing they're reverting to him anyway. Plus I'd be curious to see what his music would sound like if we was composing for a television series since his the music he's done for the OVAs and cutscenes were more... cinematic I guess.
Apart from my personal nomination, I bet Toei would hire Takaki if they continued Kai. He is a good composer and doesn't bring in any problems unlike the predecessor, but his battle music is kind of uncharacteristic to me. It doesn't sound "Dragon Ball". Perhaps things would be different if he did for a TV series, as you said.