Akira Toriyama's Other Works

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Akira Toriyama's Other Works

Post by Angelus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:09 pm

This is a thread, a compilation of hours worth of searches for one-shots of his other works. Most of which, unfortunately, can't be found on mangafox or mangareader or any other mainstream manga viewing website. Almost all of them are not in English. Just something for fans of Akira Toriyama and not just Dragon Ball to see. I won't be posting the mainstream mangas that you can easily find on mangafox or mangareader, though I will provide links for them. Unfortunately, there are some that only have a few images because I couldn't find any more.

I just realized that there's no spoiler tag in this forum. So this will be a very heavy image thread. Be warned. lol

Awawa World (あわわ ワールド)
Release date: 1977. It has never been commercially published.

In 1977, Akira Toriyama World Awawa participated with an annual competition for new mangaka, sponsored by Shueisha in Monthly Young Jump magazine.

Awawa World is a short comic story that goes with superheroes and samurai in feudal Japan. Unfortunately, Awawa World was never published in full as a tankobon or even integrated into a collection or magazine of the time, but only in editions of 5 (March 1983) and No. 6 (May 1983) IBRD LAND PRESS, a newsletter of the official fan club of Akira Toriyama, Akira Toriyama called Hozonkai (鸟山明 保存 会), where this work was published in two parts. In short, Awawa World was never published commercially.

This gag story set in ancient Japan attempts to mix modern situations with the older culture (such as a policeman issuing a ticket to a peasant for keeping his horse in a no-parking zone.) The artwork is pretty traditional, but the character designs are flat, heavy and rather ugly. This was an entry in the "Monthly Young Jump Award" contest.

Some pages of the original World Awawa were exposed in exposure Ehxibition Akira Toriyama, who toured Japan in 90 years. The images shown here are part of the exhibition catalog.

ImageImage

Mysterious Rain Jack (謎 の レイン ジャック)
Release date: 1978. It has never been commercially published.

It was in the Monthly Young Jump Award 1978 that Toriyama drew the attention of Shueisha. With Mysterious Rain Jack, he managed to be a finalist in the contest. Mysterious Rain Jack is a parody of Star Wars with a very similar style of comedy of Dr. Slump.

As Awawa World, Mysterious Rain Jack was never published in full as a tankobon or even integrated into a collection or magazine of the time, but only in editions of 3 (October 1982) and No. 4 (January 1983) IBRD LAND PRESS, a newsletter of the official fan club of Akira Toriyama, Akira Toriyama called Hozonkai, where this work was published in two parts. In short, Mysterious Rain Jack was never published commercially.

A parody of Star Wars, this gag one-shot features many of the character designs that would later appear in Dr. Slump. The character artwork is a little cleaner than that of Awawa World, and the story has very little to do with the Star Wars plot. This was a finalist for the "Monthly Young Jump Awards" contest.

Some pages original Mysterious Rain Jack were exposed in exposure Akira Toriyama Exhibition that toured Japan in 90 years. The images here are those that figured in the exhibition catalog. Mysterious Rain Jack probably will never be reprinted, because the originals were stolen in the 90s.

Image Image

Wonder Island
(Shonen Jump #25, Jan., 1979)

Wonder Island is a series of two one shot manga written by Akira Toriyama. The first chapter appeared in Weekly Shonen Jump in 1978 and was featured in Akira Toriyama's Manga Theater Vol. 1 in 1983. The setting of this manga appears later on in Toriyama's later series Dr. Slump.

A strange place inhabited by King Ghidra, a witch, and a Tarzan-like caveman. The stories start off with things like a Japanese Special Attack Force washing ashore, or a detective arriving to arrest a criminal. Wonder Island continues the character designs from Rain Jack and Awawa World, along with the same slapstick humor.

PART 1:
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Image ImageImage Image
Image Image
Image Image

PART 2:
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Today's Highlight Island
(Shonen Jump #20, April, 1979)
A junior high school student, Kanta, lives on Highlight. A toothache keeps him from eating, even though he loves school lunches. The dentist can't cure him, and when he is completely unable to attend classes, the result is a huge uproar.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Tomato, Girl Detective
(Shonen Jump Special #15, Aug., 1979)
Akai Tomato, 18, is assigned to the Yoikora Police Station. Everything she does gets messed up, but she eventually catches the criminal. This work leads up to Dr. Slump, and the use of a girl as the main character.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Dr. Slump (Dr. スランプ Dokutā Suranpu?)
A Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Akira Toriyama. It was serialized in Shueisha's anthology comic Weekly Shōnen Jump from 1980 to 1984 which were collected into 18 tankōbon volumes. The manga was adapted into an anime series by Toei Animation that ran from 1981 to 1986 consisting of 243 episodes and a remake series consisting of 74 episodes that ran from 1997 to 1999. The series helped launch Toriyama's career and was awarded the Shogakukan Manga Award for shōnen and shōjo manga in 1982.

LINK: (Link removed by moderator.)
(I won't be posting the Dr. Slump images here. You could easily read it through the link, and it's already translated to English. This is the most complete reading of Dr. Slump you will get off the internet, through that link. Other manga viewing websites would only reach the first half. Though it's listed as only 3 volumes, that's the complete manga on that link)

Escape
(Shonen Jump Special #10, Jan., 1982)

Escape is a short story five pages and was published originally in full color on the special edition of Weekly Shonen Jump from 10/01/1982. Dr. Slump was released when it was published weekly in the pages of Weekly Shonen Jump.

The story takes place in the Escape Umekobucha planet, Earth in the distant year of 2070. We have the main character, a young girl who is desperately running away from something when it comes face to face with a dragon. After the scare, the young girl realizes that it was just a puppy.

The story so i implies that she is struggling for life, but suddenly when she sees no way out and is found, we see that it was all a game of hide and seek among children. "The world lived in peace ..."

Interestingly between editions number 19 (July 1985) and 23 (January 1987) of Land Bird Press, the back cover of these carried a page of history. Comprising a total of one year and a half to the story of only five pages to be completed. As the covers of Bird Land Press were not made in 4 colors, but 2 or 3 colors, the pages of Escape were left with a single and unique coloring of this publication.

Later, Escape was republished in black and white in the second volume of the compilation of short stories "Akira Toriyama One Shots" March 1988, under the seal JC (Jump Comics) and in another building, also in black and white, June 2003, "Akira Toriyama One Shots" No one, under the seal SJR (Shueisha Jump Remix).

The original illustrations Escape without cutting mark, were published in the book Akira Toriyama Exhibition, 1993. And in his reprint of 1995.

Escape The most interesting is by difference in their features and details in respect of Dr. Slump, which was previously the first major work as Toriyama manga at the time. The difference between the two works is very large. Escape, though innocent of the plot, gave readers a taste of the versatility of the design of Akira Toriyama.The female protagonist as well as an anthropomorphic character make appearances in the Dragon Ball anime in the episode "Prelude to Vengeance" where they are seen in West City running in panic with everyone else.

LINK: (Link removed by moderator.)
(I won't be posting the Escape images here. You could easily read it through the link, and it's translated to English already)

I'LL ADD MORE IMAGES MAYBE TOMORROW. THIS THREAD IS NOT YET DONE. I WONDER WHY THERE'S NO SPOILER TAG HERE. OH WELL.
Last edited by Angelus on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:40 am, edited 17 times in total.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Re: Akira Toriyama's Other Works

Post by dprez » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Wow! How awesome to see some Akira Toriyama art I've never seen before! I'm not sure If this thread is allowed, but there are members here who could translate that for you, although again I'm not sure it's within the rules here on this "DragonBall" forum. Still cool though.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks! I posted about it at the Translations thread asking for permission but VegettoEX hasn't replied yet. So I'll put this up for now, until he says otherwise. This afterall, can be easily deleted if he doesn't allow it.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Defiantly cool I just wish I could read it :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Whoa... never expected to take this long to post all these. :shock:
Well, I'm finished for the day. I'd probably work on it again tomorrow or the next day. :wink:

More mangas to be posted next time:

Pola & Roid

Pink

Mad Matic

Chobit (this is not to be confused with the later Chobits by Clamp)

Dragon Boy

Lady Red

Mamejiro

Karamaru

Wolf

Cashman

Mr. Rocky

Tokimecha

Tahi Mahi

Toccio the Angel

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Also... I don't have any images of these:

Kennosuke-sama
Chotto Kaettekita Dr. Slump
Alien X-Peke
Bubul
Dr. Mashirito Abale-chan
Akira's illustration on Bitch's Life.
And his Omake on Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo, in which, Ryo, a cop, gives Frieza a ticket for illegal parking on Planet Namek.

But I would really really like to see the 40 page manga, Alien X-Peke.
And also Bubul.

If anyone has these images, even if not translated, could you please share with me? XD
Double post, my bad. ;p

Kiddo626
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kiddo626 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:04 pm

It's amazing how many of Toriyama's designs in Dragon Ball have already been used in some form during his earlier works. Now, Dragon Ball doesn't seem so original anymore. :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Some of that super-old artwork of Toriyama's is so surreal. While it's not as polished as his later work, I do like how expressive and just weird some of it looks; you can tell he was enjoying it as he was drawing it.

Also, I get a kick out of seeing Bulma and Yamcha's character designs popping up again and again with variations to them. XD
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:13 am

Seriously, this is so cool!!! Seeing some of Toriyama-Sensei's designs he used in DragonBall being used in some of his earlier works is so interesting. His art style changed so much over the years. This is honestly an awesome thread.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:20 am

I'd love to read some reliable English translations of these works, they look really interesting! Anyone notice the Freeza-Cell blend in "Cashman"?
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:07 am

You can really see him evolving as an artist throughout that.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:27 am

Angelus wrote: Tokimecha
That chick on the far left's outfit looks like Ayla's from Chrono Trigger.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:52 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Angelus wrote: Tokimecha
That chick on the far left's outfit looks like Ayla's from Chrono Trigger.
She actually looks like Android 17 in Ayla's clothing. LOL! (No homo)

Image Image

To all: I might have to re-make this thread and re-post it as 1 thread per manga. The first post is already way looong. The next one I'm planning to post is Pola & Roid. And it's 40+ pages long. Some others incoming are also 30+. I hope VegettoEX is cool with it.

I could just make small thumbnails for each page and clicking them would redirect you to a larger image but.... I'm kinda too lazy to do that because that's twice the work, and also more bandwidth. I actually wonder if my photobucket account can handle it. LOL!
Last edited by Angelus on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:57 am

Perfect wrote:I'd love to read some reliable English translations of these works, they look really interesting! Anyone notice the Freeza-Cell blend in "Cashman"?
I feel it looks more like Coola.
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:00 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
Perfect wrote:I'd love to read some reliable English translations of these works, they look really interesting! Anyone notice the Freeza-Cell blend in "Cashman"?
I feel it looks more like Coola.
LOL! Agreed.

I find the antennas weird, to be honest. XD

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:17 am

Angelus wrote:I could just make small thumbnails for each page and clicking them would redirect you to a larger image but.... I'm kinda too lazy to do that because that's twice the work, and also more bandwidth. I actually wonder if my photobucket account can handle it. LOL!
General rule of thumb is that if you can't find some way to tie the thread to a DB discussion, Mike will close it down. I seem to remember him locking multiple threads about Toriyama's other works because "its a Dragon Ball forum, not one dedicated to Toriyama in general". A single thread with teaser images that allow us to discuss Toriyama's artistic evolution and reused designs that reappear in Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball may be allowed to exist, but you'll definitely need to remove the link to Dr. Slump (talking about scanlations can be tolerable on occasion, but links are taboo though) and cut down the the other works you posted full chapters of to just a couple of teasers as well...unless you want to get in trouble. Pirating is a nono on DaizEX. lol
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:18 am

That artwork of Cashman was drawn by Nakatsuru, so that's a slightly inappropriate image to include here.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:22 am

Oh my god! Is Tahi Mahi real???? That title says "Haigyo no Mahi Mahi" but it is definitely by Toriyama. "Tahi Mahi" is listed on Wikipedia and other sites as being a full tankoubon manga, but I've been looking for YEARS and haven't found anything about it. Possibly due to the incorrect title? If you have any info about this I'd appreciate a PM. Collecting Toriyama manga books is a big obsession of mine, and if this is a hole in my collection, I'd love to fill it! Thank you!

EDIT: Ok, looks like this was a one-shot published in 1999 according to some info I found online. If anyone has any info to the contrary, let me know. But it looks as if it's as I suspected... not actually a tankoubon missing from my shelves -- just misinformation on Wikipedia. What a surprise!

SIGH, I wish more Toriyama short story collections would come out. There were a couple a year or two ago, but they mostly recollected stuff that was already in the Toriyama Theater books.
Last edited by medama_oyaji on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:24 am

Well I feel this is relevant to Dragon Ball overall, because it shows how much his artwork had evolved by the time he got to that.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:57 am

I like this thread, but I definitely don't think you should be posting full stories.
Angelus wrote: But I would really really like to see the 40 page manga, Alien X-Peke.
Alien X-Peke is contained in this collection. In fact I just found an old Daizex thread about it here.