Hera Clan

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DNA
I Live Here

Hera Clan

Post by DNA » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Been thinking about these guys again. First, even though the term "Race of Hera" came form "almighty" Herms, I, in my layman view, believe that maybe Hera Clan would be a better way, kind of like the recent Freeza Clan.

One thing that I always found curious is the fact that can transform like the Saiyans. Literally LIKE the Saiyans. Although the crystals they use as necklaces and earrings seem to react when they transform.

Another odd thing is that, from all the menaces across the universe, they were the only ones that made the Kaios intervene.

My view is that maybe this clan actually comes from the Dark Realm. They might be the Dark Realms equivalent to the Super Saiyans. A race of super powerful assholes, hell-bent on galactic conquest with the ability to transform into a more muscular form with bigger hair. The Dark Realm is also stated to be moved more by magic than technology, which again could explain the deal with the crystals. Also, coming from Dark Realm could prompt the reaction of the Kaios, since they are not native to "normal" universe like Freeza and others.

Again this is just my view and belief on something that may be the case.

hleV
Banned

Re: Hera Clan

Post by hleV » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:48 pm

Are you talking about Bojack and his gang?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:26 pm

hleV wrote:Are you talking about Bojack and his gang?
Yep. Their race is called "Hera Clan".

I find it more possible for their crystals to be from the Demon Realm, and that those are their source of their power and for their transformation.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:29 pm

hleV wrote:Are you talking about Bojack and his gang?
Should I mention that? I thought the fact that they are referred as Hera clan/race/family was common by now.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:10 pm

What do you mean they transform "literally LIKE the Saiyans"? I thought we only saw Gokua and Bojack transform, but it wasn't like an Oozaru or Super Saiyan transformation (although, IIRC, their hair changed colour).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I thought we only saw Gokua and Bojack transform, but it wasn't like an Oozaru or Super Saiyan transformation (although, IIRC, their hair changed colour).
Their hair colour changed and they got a muscle mass increase, just like the Super Saiyan transformation.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Trying to reconcile the existence of Bojack and co. into continuity just hurts my brain. I liked to entertain the idea that they were actually evil Kaioshin because of their physical features and style of dress.

By the way, where did you get the term "Hera Clan" from? Was that from movie 9's blurb in the Dragon Box Movie book?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 pm

Yeah, where does that come from? I'd never heard that term before now.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:Trying to reconcile the existence of Bojack and co. into continuity just hurts my brain.
What's so hard about a band of aliens that Kaio sealed long before anything in the series proper began?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:53 pm

The "Race of Hera" thing comes from Daizenshuu 7, according to Herms' guide.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:54 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, where does that come from? I'd never heard that term before now.
Your wish shall be granted...
Herms wrote:
SilverPlaqueVII wrote:
Herms wrote:ヘラー一族/Heraa-ichizoku, the Hera Clan.
Perhaps Galaxy Soldiers? IIRC, didn't the name as I said coined in video games?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the name ヘラー一族/Heraa-ichizoku is mentioned on page 42 of Daizenshuu 7. Unfortunately, Daizenshuu 7 doesn't explain what this race is, only that it's a race that appears in the anime. According to the Japanese Wikipedia page for DBZ movie 9 though, it's the name of Bojack and co.'s race. Presumably this is some bit of background info that was mentioned when the movie first came out, perhaps in Jump or in the special pamphlets they passed out to those who first went to see the movie, like with the background info for Tullece or Coola's underlings. Daizenshuu 7 has an annoying habit of alluding to such tidbits offhand without properly explaining them (for instance, on page 42 they also refer to the races of Coola's underlings without explaining them either). Anyway, I'm not exactly sure what "Hera" would be a reference to. It's not spelt exactly the same way as the Greek goddess' name is in Japanese, but then as a pun it wouldn't really need to. In Greek mythology, Hera's breast milk was said to form the milky way, and the milky way is a galaxy, and Bojack and crew pose as the Galaxy Warriors for Money's tournament, so could that be what they were getting at? It seems kind of a stretch, and too obscure a reference for DB movie characters. It could also come from herazuguchi, an "insolent mouth", which kinda fits with Bojack and crew being named after bad qualities (Bojack and Bujin being named for boujakubujin, "audacity", etc).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:37 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
Deus ex Machina wrote:Trying to reconcile the existence of Bojack and co. into continuity just hurts my brain.
What's so hard about a band of aliens that Kaio sealed long before anything in the series proper began?
Normally I wouldn't try to make it fit at all, but movie #9 is deceptive in that it looks like it could possibly fit into proper continuity, but then it leaves little nagging questions, such as why Gohan has such difficulty transforming into SSJ2 when we know he can do so without hesitation in a few years time during the world tournament. Or why Kaio was terrified by the idea of Goku angering Freeza, but doesn't seem overly concerned about Bojack's escape. Or for that matter how four Kaio's, with battle powers roughly around 20,000 or so, managed to imprison five beings of roughly Super Saiyan strength and higher.

Edit: I forgot that Kaio's battle power is actually much, much lower, less than Goku's during his fight against Vegeta (so less than 8000).

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:25 am

Deus ex Machina wrote: Normally I wouldn't try to make it fit at all, but movie #9 is deceptive in that it looks like it could possibly fit into proper continuity, but then it leaves little nagging questions, such as why Gohan has such difficulty transforming into SSJ2 when we know he can do so without hesitation in a few years time during the world tournament.
IIRC he didn't have difficulty transforming, he just didn't want to. It was first when Goku told him to stop being so irresponsible, that he realized, he should do it.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:29 am

Deus ex Machina, don't forget that, for example, the elder Kaioshin was frightful not for his fighting prowess, but for his amazing magical skill. Which means that the Hera Clan must have been inprisioned someway other than by sheer overpowering.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:59 am

Yeah, and Mutaito's Mafuba works regardless of the opponent being much stronger than the user, so what's the problem with the Kaios finding a way to imprison Bojack and co. without it being dependent on their power compared to the latter?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:00 am

DNA wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:I thought we only saw Gokua and Bojack transform, but it wasn't like an Oozaru or Super Saiyan transformation (although, IIRC, their hair changed colour).
Their hair colour changed and they got a muscle mass increase, just like the Super Saiyan transformation.
Oh, OK. It didn't look like all of them could transform, though. They certainly didn't against Gohan (although Bojack transformed for seemingly no reason whatsoever after he defeated Vegeta).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:16 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Normally I wouldn't try to make it fit at all, but movie #9 is deceptive in that it looks like it could possibly fit into proper continuity, but then it leaves little nagging questions, such as why Gohan has such difficulty transforming into SSJ2 when we know he can do so without hesitation in a few years time during the world tournament. Or why Kaio was terrified by the idea of Goku angering Freeza, but doesn't seem overly concerned about Bojack's escape. Or for that matter how four Kaio's, with battle powers roughly around 20,000 or so, managed to imprison five beings of roughly Super Saiyan strength and higher.

Edit: I forgot that Kaio's battle power is actually much, much lower, less than Goku's during his fight against Vegeta (so less than 8000).
Well...it's a movie. It's not particularly meant to fit into the main continuity anyway. Like in the anime itself (especially filler), they always drag shit out and only make the characters transform until they're in a pinch.

And if you really want to, you can just handwave away Gohan's difficulty to transform into SS2 as him being terrified that he'd fuck up again like at the Cell Games. And the Z-Warriors were all much stronger than they were in the battle with Freeza, especially Gohan himself (who did easily kill Bojack once he pulled out SS2), so maybe Kaiou wasn't as worried. As for how they managed to imprison Bojack and his gang...they're Kaious. They're gods. Magic. It needs no more explanation than that.

And yeah, the official guidebooks list Kaiou's battle power as 3,500. Also, I don't know when this movie was made, but it was presumably before Gohan transformed into SS2 at the Tenkaichi Budoukai, so maybe they didn't know that Gohan could do without hesitation, rather than needing anger or whatever beforehand.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:01 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Oh, OK. It didn't look like all of them could transform, though. They certainly didn't against Gohan (although Bojack transformed for seemingly no reason whatsoever after he defeated Vegeta).
Yeah, the only ones we actually saw transform were Gokua against Trunks, and then Bojack himself later. Otherwise, the rest of them seemed to prefer teamwork.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:51 am

Although in my opinion that does nit prove they could or could not transform, just that they didn't. The fact that Gokua does seems to imply that it's a trait normal to them, like they wanted us to understand it isn't exclusive to Bojack.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:53 am

DNA wrote:Although in my opinion that does nit prove they could or could not transform, just that they didn't. The fact that Gokua does seems to imply that it's a trait normal to them, like they wanted us to understand it isn't exclusive to Bojack.
Yeah, that's fair enough. Zangya, Bido and Bujin weren't exactly having trouble with Gohan, and they probably didn't have time to transform before Gohan himself transformed into SS2 and destroyed them.