DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai\Vortex)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta1056
Beyond Newbie

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Post by Vegeta1056 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Saban now owns the CW4Kids/Toonzai block, and all of 4Kids assets. I don't know how important this could be to the block, or if it will affect DBZKai but we'll see where the show goes from there. I personally feel that it could be good news, but again lets wait and see.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Vegeta1056 wrote:Saban now owns the CW4Kids/Toonzai block, and all of 4Kids assets. I don't know how important this could be to the block, or if it will affect DBZKai but we'll see where the show goes from there. I personally feel that it could be good news, but again lets wait and see.
Have his standards changed since the 'kids aren't allowed to cry' days? :roll:

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:08 am

MetroidJunkie wrote:Have his standards changed since the 'kids aren't allowed to cry' days? :roll:
... What?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:21 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
MetroidJunkie wrote:Have his standards changed since the 'kids aren't allowed to cry' days? :roll:
... What?
One of the edits from the ye olde 1996 dub was erasing Gohan's tears.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
... What?
The pic Pokewhiz7 posted. You think that's bad? They even censored out an imagination bubble.

4-kids DID make edits Saban didn't, like farmer with shotgun, halos, and turning Mr.Popo blue but, overall, Saban's dubs were definitely far more nonsensical. It's like he was censoring things to reach a quota.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:04 am

Vegeta1056 wrote:Saban now owns the CW4Kids/Toonzai block, and all of 4Kids assets. I don't know how important this could be to the block, or if it will affect DBZKai but we'll see where the show goes from there. I personally feel that it could be good news, but again lets wait and see.
Well, not yet. That's is how it will probably turn out, but this ANN article says that other companies could still technically get the rights to the "Yu-Gi-Oh" series. As I mentioned earlier, I think this is anything but good news. A few years ago, 4Kids started posting professionally-subtitled versions of the original Japanese episodes of their properties. Saban, at least of this writing, doesn't do that. So we may have lost the only way to legally watch the "Yu-Gi-Oh" franchise subtitled. Not to mention other series.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:19 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Well, not yet. That's is how it will probably turn out, but this ANN article says that other companies could still technically get the rights to the "Yu-Gi-Oh" series. As I mentioned earlier, I think this is anything but good news. A few years ago, 4Kids started posting professionally-subtitled versions of the original Japanese episodes of their properties. Saban, at least of this writing, doesn't do that. So we may have lost the only way to legally watch the "Yu-Gi-Oh" franchise subtitled. Not to mention other series.
Well, if either Funimation or ViZ actually managed to get a hold of it, atleast it would probably have a decent enough dub that most people wouldn't need a subtitled version.

Vegeta1056
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1056 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:18 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Well, not yet. That's is how it will probably turn out, but this ANN article says that other companies could still technically get the rights to the "Yu-Gi-Oh" series. As I mentioned earlier, I think this is anything but good news. A few years ago, 4Kids started posting professionally-subtitled versions of the original Japanese episodes of their properties. Saban, at least of this writing, doesn't do that. So we may have lost the only way to legally watch the "Yu-Gi-Oh" franchise subtitled. Not to mention other series.
I beg to differ. Read down to the 4Kids section in this article: http://blog.samuraicast.com/rangercrew- ... megaforce/

Also you guys do know FUNimation did the editing and not Saban right? XD

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:24 am

Vegeta1056 wrote: Also you guys do know FUNimation did the editing and not Saban right? XD
Wasn't Saban telling them to do it, though? They blamed the FCC but then later admitted they were forced to edit it beyond what the FCC would've required.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:23 pm

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:
... What?
The pic Pokewhiz7 posted. You think that's bad? They even censored out an imagination bubble.

Zwonks! Children might get influenced to think and children aren't supposed to think. -Saban
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:19 am

I got some episodes of the Toonzai version thanks to Takarajima. I noticed that they screwed up Ginyu Force's introduction scene during the process of music replacement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0SzaLnRBI

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:55 am

Did they add some weird echoing effect to their voices also?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:02 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Did they add some weird echoing effect to their voices also?
Instead, they seem to have removed the center channel of the voices, so only echoing sounds were remained.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:23 am

kei17 wrote:I got some episodes of the Toonzai version thanks to Takarajima. I noticed that they screwed up Ginyu Force's introduction scene during the process of music replacement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0SzaLnRBI
This makes me want to see the Dub Ginyu Force with Tokusentai playing instead of Ginyu Force Rules.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:11 am

Guys, i'm watching episode 31 of 52 now on TV. No wonder Toonzai / CW4Kds lacks episodes 53-97 (perhaps 98?) :oops: :roll: :| IMO, Toonzai has way more commercials than like Nicktoons which the Japanese airs ads like 1-2 mins. I wonder that's gonna be stuck with KidsCo after the 4Kids split.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:26 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:Guys, i'm watching episode 31 of 52 now on TV. No wonder Toonzai / CW4Kds lacks episodes 53-97 (perhaps 98?) :oops: :roll: :| IMO, Toonzai has way more commercials than like Nicktoons which the Japanese airs ads like 1-2 mins. I wonder that's gonna be stuck with KidsCo after the 4Kids split.
I don't want to speak for certain having never actually watched a show while in Japan...'cause I've, 'ya know, never been to Japan...but I don't see how it's possible that they could only have a 1-2 minute advertising block. DBZ (and by extension, Kai) episodes are still 20-22 minutes long. I was under the impression that they had programming blocks in increments of half-hours like us, it's just that their commercial structure is such that rather than having three commercial breaks scattered throughout a half-hour show, they have only have one giant 8-10 minute commercial break that happens halfway through an episode.

I could be wrong, of course, and if I am, someone feel free to correct me, but that's how I thought it was. I would prefer one giant commercial break over a bunch of smaller ones, personally. Less interruptions, and the one interruption there is would act as an intermission of sorts to go get a snack or take care of other small matters.

EDIT: Wait a minute...did you mean that they have the same amount of adverting time, but that each individual commercial is 1-2 minutes long? That could be, I wouldn't know.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Gonstead wrote:
kei17 wrote:I got some episodes of the Toonzai version thanks to Takarajima. I noticed that they screwed up Ginyu Force's introduction scene during the process of music replacement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0SzaLnRBI
This makes me want to see the Dub Ginyu Force with Tokusentai playing instead of Ginyu Force Rules.
But really, who would screw the music replacement so bad that both the English and Japanese versions of the song are playing at the same time? It sounds so weird...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:13 pm

I hope Saban will give DBZKai tons of promotion!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

[SP]
Not-So-Newbie

Post by [SP] » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:25 am

I just found out that 4kids' DBZ Kai Episode Section isn't region locked... So I, as an Australian that does not get the CW overseas, sat and watched a couple episodes... And I must say, it is hilarious how many further cuts the script gets to remove any references to death, and even the obscure allusions are cut...
And also, Blue Popo is ... uh, quite something!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:35 pm

I really hope Saban will buy the Second Season of DBZKai.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: