Episode #0317 (09 December 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0317 (09 December 2012)

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:29 am

Well, I guess we could just label the original release as the "original run" and the new films as, I dunno, the "post 2000's run" or "post festival run".

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:57 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:It's an interesting idea, except that all the Dragon Ball Z films are Heisei-era films. (Only the first three Dragon Ball movies are Shōwa-era, as Emperor Hirohito died at the beginning of 1989.) I suppose if Emperor Akihito dies within the next few months, we could still have a new era-name for this "new generation" theatrical release.... :?
Oh, so the names of the eras come from the current emperor's somehow. I feel like I should have known that. :oops:

Ah well, it was just a thought. Maybe something like Insertclevername's naming ideas would be more applicable.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:It's an interesting idea, except that all the Dragon Ball Z films are Heisei-era films. (Only the first three Dragon Ball movies are Shōwa-era, as Emperor Hirohito died at the beginning of 1989.) I suppose if Emperor Akihito dies within the next few months, we could still have a new era-name for this "new generation" theatrical release.... :?
Oh, so the names of the eras come from the current emperor's somehow. I feel like I should have known that. :oops:
Yep; all era-names since the start of Japan's modern period have also been used as the emperor's posthumous name. (The reigning emperor is technically just referred to as "His Majesty the Emperor", and then only by his era-name after he dies.)

So:
Mutsuhito = Meiji era = the Meiji Emperor
Hisahito = Taishō era = the Taishō Emperor
Hirohito = Shōwa era = the Shōwa Emperor
Akihito = Heisei era = His Majesty the Emperor (Ten'nō Heika)
Naruhito = ??? = His Highness the Crown Prince (Kōtaishi-sama)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:35 am

I just consider the movies released during the show's original run to be the "classic" era, and the new ones the "modern" era. :P

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:05 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:Yep; all era-names since the start of Japan's modern period have also been used as the emperor's posthumous name. (The reigning emperor is technically just referred to as "His Majesty the Emperor", and then only by his era-name after he dies.)

So:
Mutsuhito = Meiji era = the Meiji Emperor
Hisahito = Taishō era = the Taishō Emperor
Hirohito = Shōwa era = the Shōwa Emperor
Akihito = Heisei era = His Majesty the Emperor (Ten'nō Heika)
Naruhito = ??? = His Highness the Crown Prince (Kōtaishi-sama)
Oh, that's cool. I had no idea it was worked exactly like that, thanks for the info. So basically, it's not known what an era is going to be called until after it's over. That's interesting, they should have included that little tidbit in the information guides in the back of the Kenshin VizBigs.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:13 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Oh, that's cool. I had no idea it was worked exactly like that, thanks for the info. So basically, it's not known what an era is going to be called until after it's over.
I don't think that's quite correct. As I understand it the era name is known, and the late-Emperor will be renamed to match.

For example, when Akihito became Emperor in 1989, the era name was changed to "Heisei". He will only posthumously be known as "Emperor Heisei".

I had a hell of a time figuring this out when I was trying to figure out why the 1991 Ranma 1/2 album was always calls "1991 music calendar" when the cover didn't say "1991" on it, but did have a clear "3".

It turns out, the cover says "Heisei 3", which is 1991.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Ohh...so that's how it works. This is all a lot more confusing than I thought it'd be. :shock: Thanks for all the explanation though, I'm making note of it so I (hopefully) won't forget it.