Episode #0317 (09 December 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Insertclevername
I Live Here
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:27 pm
Location: Eastern Zone 439

Re: Episode #0317 (09 December 2012)

Postby Insertclevername » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:29 am

Well, I guess we could just label the original release as the "original run" and the new films as, I dunno, the "post 2000's run" or "post festival run".

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8310
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: Episode #0317 (09 December 2012)

Postby Gyt Kaliba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:57 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:It's an interesting idea, except that all the Dragon Ball Z films are Heisei-era films. (Only the first three Dragon Ball movies are Shōwa-era, as Emperor Hirohito died at the beginning of 1989.) I suppose if Emperor Akihito dies within the next few months, we could still have a new era-name for this "new generation" theatrical release.... :?


Oh, so the names of the eras come from the current emperor's somehow. I feel like I should have known that. :oops:

Ah well, it was just a thought. Maybe something like Insertclevername's naming ideas would be more applicable.

User avatar
SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2381
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:24 pm
Location: Osaka
Contact:

Re: Episode #0317 (09 December 2012)

Postby SaiyaJedi » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:It's an interesting idea, except that all the Dragon Ball Z films are Heisei-era films. (Only the first three Dragon Ball movies are Shōwa-era, as Emperor Hirohito died at the beginning of 1989.) I suppose if Emperor Akihito dies within the next few months, we could still have a new era-name for this "new generation" theatrical release.... :?


Oh, so the names of the eras come from the current emperor's somehow. I feel like I should have known that. :oops:

Yep; all era-names since the start of Japan's modern period have also been used as the emperor's posthumous name. (The reigning emperor is technically just referred to as "His Majesty the Emperor", and then only by his era-name after he dies.)

So:
Mutsuhito = Meiji era = the Meiji Emperor
Hisahito = Taishō era = the Taishō Emperor
Hirohito = Shōwa era = the Shōwa Emperor
Akihito = Heisei era = His Majesty the Emperor (Ten'nō Heika)
Naruhito = ??? = His Highness the Crown Prince (Kōtaishi-sama)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

User avatar
ThunderPX
Regular
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Episode #0317 (09 December 2012)

Postby ThunderPX » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:35 am

I just consider the movies released during the show's original run to be the "classic" era, and the new ones the "modern" era. :P

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8310
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: Episode #0317 (09 December 2012)

Postby Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:05 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:Yep; all era-names since the start of Japan's modern period have also been used as the emperor's posthumous name. (The reigning emperor is technically just referred to as "His Majesty the Emperor", and then only by his era-name after he dies.)

So:
Mutsuhito = Meiji era = the Meiji Emperor
Hisahito = Taishō era = the Taishō Emperor
Hirohito = Shōwa era = the Shōwa Emperor
Akihito = Heisei era = His Majesty the Emperor (Ten'nō Heika)
Naruhito = ??? = His Highness the Crown Prince (Kōtaishi-sama)


Oh, that's cool. I had no idea it was worked exactly like that, thanks for the info. So basically, it's not known what an era is going to be called until after it's over. That's interesting, they should have included that little tidbit in the information guides in the back of the Kenshin VizBigs.

User avatar
desirecampbell
Moderator
Posts: 4291
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Episode #0317 (09 December 2012)

Postby desirecampbell » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:13 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Oh, that's cool. I had no idea it was worked exactly like that, thanks for the info. So basically, it's not known what an era is going to be called until after it's over.
I don't think that's quite correct. As I understand it the era name is known, and the late-Emperor will be renamed to match.

For example, when Akihito became Emperor in 1989, the era name was changed to "Heisei". He will only posthumously be known as "Emperor Heisei".

I had a hell of a time figuring this out when I was trying to figure out why the 1991 Ranma 1/2 album was always calls "1991 music calendar" when the cover didn't say "1991" on it, but did have a clear "3".

Image

It turns out, the cover says "Heisei 3", which is 1991.

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8310
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: Episode #0317 (09 December 2012)

Postby Gyt Kaliba » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Ohh...so that's how it works. This is all a lot more confusing than I thought it'd be. :shock: Thanks for all the explanation though, I'm making note of it so I (hopefully) won't forget it.


Return to “The Podcast”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest