"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Cipher wrote:Maybe it's just a common futuristic J-RPG aesthetic or something, but Toriyama's artwork really grows closer to Ken Sugimori's with each project.

If you told me those designs were for Pokemon Black and White 3, I'd be like, "Yeah, okay. I can see that."
It's kind of ironic that you mentioned it turning to a Sugimori-esque style. Sugimori's early Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal artwork looked very much like Toriyama's work pre-digital. Hell, the Charizard on the Red box looks like Toriyama could've drawn it.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:44 am

Weekly Jump is out now in Japan, and I've read the first chapter.

As of now, it's hard to say exactly where this will go, but it's clearly overflowing with Toriyama's trademark humor, as well as a sense of... loss? Wistfulness? Maybe it's just me, but that's the vibe I got, in spite of the fish-out-of-water / odd-couple dynamic that's developing. Looking forward to the second chapter.

I'm also intrigued by Toriyama's comments in the table of contents:
Akira Toriyama wrote:ちょっと古臭い感じの内容ですが最後まで読んでいただければなぜかわかりますよ
The content seems a bit old-fashioned, but if you read to the end, you'll understand why.
Curious....
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:41 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:Weekly Jump is out now in Japan, and I've read the first chapter.

As of now, it's hard to say exactly where this will go, but it's clearly overflowing with Toriyama's trademark humor, as well as a sense of... loss? Wistfulness? Maybe it's just me, but that's the vibe I got, in spite of the fish-out-of-water / odd-couple dynamic that's developing. Looking forward to the second chapter.

I'm also intrigued by Toriyama's comments in the table of contents:
The content seems a bit old-fashioned, but if you read to the end, you'll understand why.
Curious....
I found the first chapter to be really lazy when it came to the backgrounds. The story was "all right". Nothing amazing, nothing great. It just barely kept me wanting to read more.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:15 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:I'm also intrigued by Toriyama's comments in the table of contents:
Curious....
Did anyone else notice that the episode number in the cover was also somewhat suggestive? It says episode 1/10+1 and DB-11. My guess is that it means "Dragon Ball episode minus eleven," and at the end, the story connects to Dragon Ball. Maybe the alien that Jako mentions is baby Goku.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:48 am

kei17 wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:I'm also intrigued by Toriyama's comments in the table of contents:
Curious....
Did anyone else notice that the episode number in the cover was also somewhat suggestive? It says episode 1/10+1 and DB-11. My guess is that it means "Dragon Ball episode minus eleven," and at the end, the story connects to Dragon Ball. Maybe the alien that Jako mentions is baby Goku.

http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fo ... 034926.jpg
I was scratching my head about that numbering, trying to figure out what it means. I suppose that, as Toriyama suggests, it will become clear as we read on….

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:48 am

Interesting! I guess that if what is being speculated is correct we could regard this an extended-Universe sort of prequel to Dragonball.

I think it's pretty cool way to add something new to the Dragon-world without overtly re-visiting elements that have already been covered in stories.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:58 pm

kei17 wrote:Did anyone else notice that the episode number in the cover was also somewhat suggestive? It says episode 1/10+1 and DB-11. My guess is that it means "Dragon Ball episode minus eleven," and at the end, the story connects to Dragon Ball. Maybe the alien that Jako mentions is baby Goku.
Me and my girlfriend were discussing it. There was the US Shonen Jump bit where they said it might have a relation to DB, but I didn't want to connect the dots unless there was a bit more evidence. I would absolutely love a connection like this though.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dodonpa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dodonpa » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:59 pm

wow, it would be shocking to realize that Toriyama is drawing a Dragon Ball related manga all those years later. Anyway, I want to enjoy the manga for what it is, so i'm not going to think too much about this connection.

By the way, if Jaco i going to be 10 chapters long shouldn't it be DB-10? What is that +1 supposed to be, an extra chapter?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:12 pm

I read it, and it was good. It would be awesome if it ties-in with Dragon Ball.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:31 pm

The only +1's I know of are from party invites when you get asked if you will be bringing a guest, and items that accidentally get through a store's receiving dept without being scanned in.

Interesting math mystery nonetheless. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Raykugen
Regular

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Post by Raykugen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:32 am

Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 am

Could you please give some kind of description when you post a link? People on this forum tend to do that a lot, and I'd like to know what I'm clicking into. Just a link isn't much help, especially if the site is in another language. :?

It looks like its pointing out hints that the series is connected to Dragon Ball, pretty sweet!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:29 am

Big Momma wrote:
Could you please give some kind of description when you post a link? People on this forum tend to do that a lot, and I'd like to know what I'm clicking into. Just a link isn't much help, especially if the site is in another language. :?

It looks like its pointing out hints that the series is connected to Dragon Ball, pretty sweet!
He seems to be of the opinion that
Seems unlikely to me, but who knows….

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Here's Toriyama's comment in Viz's Shonen Jump:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:16 pm

So this is really the last one; that does explain some of the sense of melancholy in that first chapter. Even though the plan is to keep things light, chapter one left me with such overarching feelings of sadness, though there was some humor too. I'm curious to see where this goes.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

Post by WesMan23 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:51 pm

So, this is his last hurrah? Can't say I'm happy about the news, but I have to give major respect for the guy, doing what he's been doing for 30+ years. After all, he's the reason we're all here. I know he's getting older, and it makes sense that he doesn't have the energy, I just hope that there are no serious underlying problems, other than just age.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:15 pm

It's not his last manga it's just the last one that he will be "writing by himself".
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Only time will tell if it really does end up being his last manga (alone or otherwise), but there definitely is something sad about seeing him talk about it being the last hoorah. :cry: But he's given us so many great stories, and inspired other ones, that I think he's led a career worth leading already, and if he feels it's time to hang up the pen, then more power to Mr. Toriyama. :)
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:53 pm

If we will see a cameo of all the main characters from all his manga, then that would be awesome.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.