Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/20

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:36 am

Whilst I agree that Season 6 and up the OB's aren't that bad. But these Blu Ray's are miles better then them and you can't compare later OB'S to Season 1 Blu Ray you just can't.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 am

qjz123 wrote:
DemonRin wrote:FUNimation's is a straight crop down the middle. No attempt to re-frame the shots to keep from losing important material was made.
That's not true I don't have a copy of the release yet but from this screenshot from bluray.com the image has clearly been reframed, its been moved down to avoid cutting off Gohan's arm.
Season 1 blu ray
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/9305/j2ye.jpg
Orange bricks
http://imageshack.us/a/img189/6875/hgmr.png
That's just because the Blu-ray version has more image at the bottom and the left and right sides. It's still automatically center-cropped.

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Whilst I agree that Season 6 and up the OB's aren't that bad. But these Blu Ray's are miles better then them and you can't compare later OB'S to Season 1 Blu Ray you just can't.
A more logical explanation would be nice.

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:08 am

Can someone post a clip of what the footage looks like please? I may buy these as cropping isn't really an issue for me to be honest (Although I will notice it) I'm more interested in seeing what the colours and details look like and whether they're better than the Orange Bricks restoration.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Here is the shot compared to the Level Set:

Click to enlarge--
ImageImage

Someone feel free to make a downscaled version of each and "crop" the Level Set so we can see what that would look like 8)

EDIT: Did my best here--

Click to enlarge--

I might not have grabbed the exact same frame as there are rocks flying the background.

Some of you might like this... it's a nice website for screenshot comparisons.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:45 pm

I'm a bit afraid of my question getting buried in other replies, so putting it out there again...

sangofe wrote:I wonder if the new Blu Ray set has previews?

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:06 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:Well, you may or may not like the Blu-Rays, but one thing is certain: the remaster is 1000x better than the Orange Bricks.
I'm getting deja vu...
You too, huh?
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Whilst I agree that Season 6 and up the OB's aren't that bad. But these Blu Ray's are miles better then them and you can't compare later OB'S to Season 1 Blu Ray you just can't.
These BDs are comparable to those awfully filtered "2K/4K HD" upscales on YouTube, and while the earlier Orange Bricks may have looked just a tiny bit worse, they at least looked like film. The later Orange Bricks definitely looked better though, and 180'd all of the problems the earlier ones had (besides the cropping, for consistency purposes of course), and best of all, the background details didn't look like painted art :P
Last edited by Black_Anime_Fan on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:14 pm

I know most of the Kanzenshuu users feel like these Season sets are too "clean," as there's literally no grain remaining in the picture due to FUNimation's remastering. But if done right, no grain doesn't inherently mean no detail. Look at animation cels. They are basically the original source, before anything is even put onto film.

The Orange Bricks were a failed attempt at cleaning the footage to look like cel-quality, modern footage. It was awful and we all know it. This Blu-ray "Season" release, on the other hand, is, for the most part, gorgeous, if you can get past the widescreen aspect ratio and lack of grain. This type of remastering is probably the closest we'll ever get to a cel re-scan of the show.

I can say this (as my opinion, obviously) as I own the set and have watched the first 15 episodes. Shots that have diverse color palettes look fantastic and characters and important objects are usually well defined and sharp; definitely worthy of high definition Blu-ray.

My biggest beef(s) with the remastering happens when colors of certain brightness' are too close to each other. For example, when black is next to dark blue or dark green. Occurring particularly during nighttime scenes, the darker of the dark colors sometimes results in details not being visible. This was worst during some of Gohan's wilderness survival episodes. Similarly (though far less often) some of the brightest colors, if set next to white, looks far too white. Fortunately, this seemed most apparent during Kame House scenes of the first few episodes and hasn't been noticeable since.

To be honest, I'm okay with the set's only negatives. They are issues, but they're ones that could easily be fixed in future sets, since it'd only require a simple adjusting of the contrast setting (or saturation? I don't know.)

Anyway, I just think people are complaining a whole lot when they haven't seen the footage in motion (outside of YouTube videos, which truly does not do the footage justice) which I understand is their opinion, but it's just difficult to see their perspective when most haven't given it any sort of a chance. In truth, I was like them before seeing the first screenshots. I was 100% prepared to hate this release, but upon seeing the vast improvement over the Orange Bricks, I've completely changed sides. I still see the negatives that exist (yes, I acknowledge that it's not a perfect release ((there's no such thing))), but the positives FAR outweight them in my opinion.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Blu-ray_Mistress
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Blu-ray_Mistress » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:16 pm

Some screencaps of the new Blu-ray sets seem like they are better than the OB but then there are others that show a few of the scenes are still badly saturated. Plus, the cropping of the image...though better the automatic cropping done on the Orange Bricks is still not right. As a result, I'm not going to buy these and am just stick with my Kai Parts.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:43 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:Well, you may or may not like the Blu-Rays, but one thing is certain: the remaster is 1000x better than the Orange Bricks.
I'm getting deja vu...
Metalwario64 wrote:
PhoenixEX wrote:Alas, they are inferior to the Level Sets, but superior to those God awful orange bricks of shame.
Well... The first two at least.
Definitely doesn't compare to seasons 6 and up:
Cropping aside, I actually think Seasons 8 and 9 look better than the corresponding Dragon box episodes.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:03 pm

[quote="sumpter360" Shots that have diverse color palettes look fantastic and characters and important objects are usually well defined and sharp; definitely worthy of high definition Blu-ray.
[/quote]

In almost all shots I've seen involving the back ground, there's been no details left whatsoever. It's looked terrible...

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:17 pm

kei17 wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
DemonRin wrote:FUNimation's is a straight crop down the middle. No attempt to re-frame the shots to keep from losing important material was made.
That's not true I don't have a copy of the release yet but from this screenshot from bluray.com the image has clearly been reframed, its been moved down to avoid cutting off Gohan's arm.
Season 1 blu ray
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/9305/j2ye.jpg
Orange bricks
http://imageshack.us/a/img189/6875/hgmr.png
That's just because the Blu-ray version has more image at the bottom and the left and right sides. It's still automatically center-cropped.
Are you serious? look at the image there isn't any noticeable extra image on the sides if anything its a few millimeters it doesn't magically add half an inch of space under Gohan's arm. Look at the flat part of gohan's hair on the right side it's clearly noticeable that the frame has been moved down.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:27 pm

Even though we lose like 20% of the image, at least we gain an extra 5% on the sides. I prefer the image on the sides than on the top in bottom IMO. Still, with a show like DBZ and out of respect for the show, I do agree that the original 4:3 aspect ratio would have been the better choice.
One World. 🌐 🕊

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:21 pm

qjz123 wrote:Are you serious? look at the image there isn't any noticeable extra image on the sides if anything its a few millimeters it doesn't magically add half an inch of space under Gohan's arm. Look at the flat part of gohan's hair on the right side it's clearly noticeable that the frame has been moved down.
You can "magically" add more vertical image on Blu-ray because widescreen DVDs are slightly wider than 16:9. To be exact, they're 20:11.

My guess is that they just scanned the film a little differently. The shot of grinning Nappa also has more image at the bottom.
Last edited by kei17 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

supersaiyan3
Not-So-Newbie

Post by supersaiyan3 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:28 pm

sangofe wrote:I'm a bit afraid of my question getting buried in other replies, so putting it out there again...

sangofe wrote:I wonder if the new Blu Ray set has previews?
Nope :( no next episode previews

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:44 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:Even though we lose like 20% of the image, at least we gain an extra 5% on the sides. I prefer the image on the sides than on the top in bottom IMO. Still, with a show like DBZ and out of respect for the show, I do agree that the original 4:3 aspect ratio would have been the better choice.
You do know that things they didn't want the audience to be seen was sometimes left in on the sides?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:05 pm

supersaiyan3 wrote:Nope :( no next episode previews
That comes as no surprise because so far the only releases that I'm aware of which have are the US/JP Dragon Boxes, not sure about the French DBZ boxes but they probably don't have it.

Neither do the Spanish Dragon Boxes even though they're called "Dragon Box".

I just wish Toei Animation would fucking take Kei17's Japanese broadcast audio of DBZ and use it for their next DBZ release, the muffled audio has gotta go.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:32 pm

I wonder why we can't get the next episode previews and such on newer releases? :?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:35 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I wonder why we can't get the next episode previews and such on newer releases? :?
FUNimation's using their own source than Toei Animation's video.

I guess the US Dragonbox was a rental for FUNimation and then that was off their hands.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:42 pm

kei17 wrote:
qjz123 wrote:Are you serious? look at the image there isn't any noticeable extra image on the sides if anything its a few millimeters it doesn't magically add half an inch of space under Gohan's arm. Look at the flat part of gohan's hair on the right side it's clearly noticeable that the frame has been moved down.
You can "magically" add more vertical image on Blu-ray because widescreen DVDs are slightly wider than 16:9. To be exact, they're 20:11.

My guess is that they just scanned the film a little differently. The shot of grinning Nappa also has more image at the bottom.
Just drummed up a little side by side comparison in Photoshop. It's obvious that the frame has been shifted. There is a little extra space on the sides, but it would in no way result in a shift like this.

"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:43 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Cropping aside, I actually think Seasons 8 and 9 look better than the corresponding Dragon box episodes.
I feel the same way. I still really like the colors on those sets. The Dragon Boxes' colors were all over the place in those episodes, and the inside Boo episodes were ridiculously bright, while the Kid Boo episodes had a very strong green tint.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash