People Can't Be Revived After One Year?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thatdbzguy
Banned

People Can't Be Revived After One Year?

Post by thatdbzguy » Mon May 12, 2014 6:19 am

This is something that's been confusing me. Several months ago, I made a thread where a lot of users told me that the whole "one year limit" for reviving people with Dragon Balls wasn't actually a thing, but at the same time, I've seen people say it is true.

So which is it? And do you think the Namekian Dragon Balls follow this rule?
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: People Can't Be Revived After One Year?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 12, 2014 6:38 am

I recently just answered this elsewhere, so I'm just going to copy and paste:
VegettoEX on Reddit oh god what have I done wrote:This kind of wish is where a lot of misconceptions come from.

It seems that with the Shenlong we first see as created by the God of Earth, you can indeed wish back a large number of people. However, God specifically says:

"Why do you ask? Are you intending to bring back to life all the aliens killed in the past by Vegeta and co.? That should be possible too of course, but it would only be effective for those who died within one year."

Yeah, you can bring a whole bunch of people back, but it's going to be restricted to those who died within the last year. The common interpretation from here when you extrapolate that all out is that you can probably bring someone back to life if they died longer than a year ago, but your wish is going to need to be more specific and more focused than something so grand like the big one there.

A lot of people generally say that one of the rules is that you can't bring someone back if they've been dead longer than a year, but - as you can see - that's never explicitly stated.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Mon May 12, 2014 8:27 am

So, basically, we don't know for sure?
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon May 12, 2014 8:39 am

I read it as this.

Revive one person - No limit
Revive many people - 1 year limit
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon May 12, 2014 11:48 am

thatdbzguy wrote:So, basically, we don't know for sure?
We know. The 1 year limit only exists when there's lots of people being revived. Of course, this is regarding Kami's Dragon Balls. Its unknown if the Namekians Dragon Balls, after being upgraded in the Buu saga, have such a limit.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon May 12, 2014 11:53 am

Well, I'd say we don't really know specifics. There's no point in the series where any person is revived after a year has passed, although the fact that everyone assumes it's possible including when God is making the plan that would presumably force Yamucha and the others to wait, and that God goes out of his way to specify that large groups of people would be affected by that rule, it seems pretty clear cut that individuals can be revived after a year has passed. However, we don't really know what counts as a large group. That is, what's the cutoff point between being able to revive and being restricted to a year? A million? A thousand? A hundred? A dozen? Two?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Mon May 12, 2014 11:53 am

I had always assumed that soul reincarnation happens after a year. That is why the 1 year limit was in place. But people like Goku or any other person who has saved the world don't get reincarnated because they stay in heaven to train and fight against other people who have saved their world. That being said I see it more as.

Bringing back lots of people: 1 year limit
Brining back a person who died: 1 year limit.
Brining back a Z-senshi: Infinite.

Monkey D Goku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Monkey D Goku » Mon May 12, 2014 12:29 pm

I also think it is because of the reincarnation. Chances are after a year that person has already been reincarnated into something else especially if their evil I imagine the process is faster.

If they are training in other world than they would still have their body and can be revived any time.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear Leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering - Yoda

I use to be a adventurer like you,till I took an arrow in the knee - Generic Skyrim Guard

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon May 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Reincarnation is only mentioned in regards to evil people who get cleansed of their sins after being in hell and need to be reincarnated as a new person afterwards. Nothing of the sort is ever mentioned regarding good people who go to heaven, nor does it make much sense since they have nothing to cleanse.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Mon May 12, 2014 8:54 pm

rereboy wrote:Reincarnation is only mentioned in regards to evil people who get cleansed of their sins after being in hell and need to be reincarnated as a new person afterwards. Nothing of the sort is ever mentioned regarding good people who go to heaven, nor does it make much sense since they have nothing to cleanse.
I would seriously hope that reincarnation holds true to both ends of the scale. Both for the Dragon Ball universes sake and for the sake of our universe if it worked the same way. If only evil people get reincarnated then Heaven would be very overpopulated. I would hate to imagine how full it would be with a universe full of dead people and the only people who would avoid such a terrible fate would be the evil people, lol. I would assume that there are also good people who need to get cleansed of their sins too. You forget that both Piccolo and Vegeta were evil originally and according to the manga, for Piccolo at least, they were absolved of their past and were considered good guys. Not everyone can be a good guy like Goku. And even Goku had blood on his hands through not understanding it was wrong to kill plus the whole squishing his father incident as a Oozaru.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue May 13, 2014 5:09 am

Hitiro wrote:
rereboy wrote:Reincarnation is only mentioned in regards to evil people who get cleansed of their sins after being in hell and need to be reincarnated as a new person afterwards. Nothing of the sort is ever mentioned regarding good people who go to heaven, nor does it make much sense since they have nothing to cleanse.
I would seriously hope that reincarnation holds true to both ends of the scale. Both for the Dragon Ball universes sake and for the sake of our universe if it worked the same way. If only evil people get reincarnated then Heaven would be very overpopulated. I would hate to imagine how full it would be with a universe full of dead people and the only people who would avoid such a terrible fate would be the evil people, lol. I would assume that there are also good people who need to get cleansed of their sins too. You forget that both Piccolo and Vegeta were evil originally and according to the manga, for Piccolo at least, they were absolved of their past and were considered good guys. Not everyone can be a good guy like Goku. And even Goku had blood on his hands through not understanding it was wrong to kill plus the whole squishing his father incident as a Oozaru.
Er... Why do you believe that Heaven can be overpopulated...? Its a mystical place beyond the mortal universe and we didn't even see it in the manga. As far as we know, it might literally never run out of space.

Also, how do you justify reincarnation when the population in a planet or in the universe increases significantly from what it was a while ago? If there are new souls being created, and there's not the same number being recycled, like the fact that the population of a planet or the universe can increase significantly suggests, then that would eventually lead to overpopulation all the same. So, reincarnation doesn't actually solve that problem at all.

And good people don't need to be cleansed. The good in them outweighs the bad making them worthy of being in heaven, so there's no need. Bad people get cleansed because Enma that thats the only way for them to have redemption (being cleansed and reincarnated). That doesn't make sense for the good people.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue May 13, 2014 9:31 am

rereboy wrote:Nothing of the sort is ever mentioned regarding good people who go to heaven
Because no one talked about those who go to Heaven. Piccolo didn't give us lessons about the dead, he only said what happens to Vegeta, who goes to Hell, and what happens to Goku, who keeps his body.
nor does it make much sense since they have nothing to cleanse.
Eh? They have their memories & personality to get cleansed, assuming that they get reincarnated.
Er... Why do you believe that Heaven can be overpopulated...? Its a mystical place beyond the mortal universe and we didn't even see it in the manga. As far as we know, it might literally never run out of space.
We've seen it drawn from Toriyama, and it's just a huge planet.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue May 13, 2014 9:37 am

rereboy wrote:Er... Why do you believe that Heaven can be overpopulated...? Its a mystical place beyond the mortal universe and we didn't even see it in the manga. As far as we know, it might literally never run out of space.

Also, how do you justify reincarnation when the population in a planet or in the universe increases significantly from what it was a while ago? If there are new souls being created, and there's not the same number being recycled, like the fact that the population of a planet or the universe can increase significantly suggests, then that would eventually lead to overpopulation all the same. So, reincarnation doesn't actually solve that problem at all.

And good people don't need to be cleansed. The good in them outweighs the bad making them worthy of being in heaven, so there's no need. Bad people get cleansed because Enma that thats the only way for them to have redemption (being cleansed and reincarnated). That doesn't make sense for the good people.
Reincarnation would be an equivalent exchange sort of thing in my eyes. In Dragon Ball we see what Heaven is actually a planet and the universe is a fixed size, reference the DB Globe in the Chozenshuu. So I would hope that every new life on Earth is merely a reincarnation. We know that Birusu is the God of Destruction and he helps maintain the balance of the universe along with the Gods of Creation, the Kaio's. So we have to assume that the Dragon Ball universe is all about balance.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue May 13, 2014 9:39 am

One thing to note is that after ONE entire year of living in heaven, the person might start to actually like it. I mean it's heaven after all. Grandpa Gohan for instance didn't want to be revived because he became used to heaven and all the good stuff there.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 13, 2014 9:42 am

We need to also define a "year", because Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu were revived within one Earth year, but far longer than a Namekian year. The Namekian Dragon Balls recharge in 130 Earth days (which is apparently equal to a Namekian year), and were used twice in a row to bring back Yamcha/Kuririn and then Tenshinhan/Chiaotzu.

So are all Dragon Balls restricted somehow to an Earth-centric timing even if their creator isn't from Earth and the balls themselves aren't made on Earth? But what about if they're used on Earth, like the Namekian balls were?

There are just too many extra questions that we don't have the appropriate answers to. You can infer things, but it starts getting dicey.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue May 13, 2014 9:49 am

VegettoEX wrote:We need to also define a "year", because Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu were revived within one Earth year, but far longer than a Namekian year. The Namekian Dragon Balls recharge in 130 Earth days (which is apparently equal to a Namekian year), and were used twice in a row to bring back Yamcha/Kuririn and then Tenshinhan/Chiaotzu.

So are all Dragon Balls restricted somehow to an Earth-centric timing even if their creator isn't from Earth and the balls themselves aren't made on Earth? But what about if they're used on Earth, like the Namekian balls were?

There are just too many extra questions that we don't have the appropriate answers to. You can infer things, but it starts getting dicey.
Is a "Namekian" year a thing? In the viz translated manga it makes no mention of it being a "Namekian" year. Rather it says that the Namekian dragonballs just recharge quicker. I remember in the Funimation dub they have a conversation about there years being shorter but it doesn't seem to be in the manga.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 13, 2014 9:52 am

I certainly wouldn't be referencing a FUNimation dub line, mainly because I wouldn't know it.

Herms' timeline work specifically notes: "Chapter 329 says that the Namekian Dragon Balls take 130 days to recharge (DBZ Episode 107 refers to this as the length of a Namekian year)".

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue May 13, 2014 9:55 am

VegettoEX wrote:I certainly wouldn't be referencing a FUNimation dub line, mainly because I wouldn't know it.

Herms' timeline work specifically notes: "Chapter 329 says that the Namekian Dragon Balls take 130 days to recharge (DBZ Episode 107 refers to this as the length of a Namekian year)".
So the manga doesn't officially say that. Interesting. I assumed it was a "Namekian" year too. I'm not really inclined to believe it's not as they probably base their year on the Dragon for that specific reason? Still interesting that the manga doesn't reference it as a Namekian year.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue May 13, 2014 10:34 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
rereboy wrote:Nothing of the sort is ever mentioned regarding good people who go to heaven
Because no one talked about those who go to Heaven. Piccolo didn't give us lessons about the dead, he only said what happens to Vegeta, who goes to Hell, and what happens to Goku, who keeps his body.
nor does it make much sense since they have nothing to cleanse.
Eh? They have their memories & personality to get cleansed, assuming that they get reincarnated.
We've seen it drawn from Toriyama, and it's just a huge planet.
Precisely because he only talked about Vegeta there's no reason to assume that his destiny, that includes reincarnation, happens to any non-evil person. Not to mention that Goku and the others, who don't get reincarnated, are only mentioned as special due to the fact that they keep their bodies in the afterlife. Never once were they mentioned as special due to the fact that they don't reincarnate, not once.

They get cleansed because of their evil, not because of their personalities and memories. The reincarnation process has to get rid of their personalities and memories because otherwise they would just remain evil. None of this is the case with good people.

A planet that we have no idea how it works. I'm sure that in Toriyama's illustration of Kami's lookout nobody could tell that there was a room in there much larger than the actual lookout.
Hitiro wrote:Reincarnation would be an equivalent exchange sort of thing in my eyes. In Dragon Ball we see what Heaven is actually a planet and the universe is a fixed size, reference the DB Globe in the Chozenshuu. So I would hope that every new life on Earth is merely a reincarnation. We know that Birusu is the God of Destruction and he helps maintain the balance of the universe along with the Gods of Creation, the Kaio's. So we have to assume that the Dragon Ball universe is all about balance.
The notion of equivalent reincarnation is destroyed simply by mathematics. Like I said, if the population of the universe can increase significantly, where do the extra souls come from? If there are no extra souls, then people should be born without souls at one point, and if this doesn't happen, then the equivalent reincarnation theory can't be true. And if there are extra souls being created, then eventually overpopulation would still be a problem.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue May 13, 2014 11:22 am

rereboy wrote:The notion of equivalent reincarnation is destroyed simply by mathematics. Like I said, if the population of the universe can increase significantly, where do the extra souls come from? If there are no extra souls, then people should be born without souls at one point, and if this doesn't happen, then the equivalent reincarnation theory can't be true. And if there are extra souls being created, then eventually overpopulation would still be a problem.
There will always be a reserve of souls. Have you forgotten about Birusu? He destroys so that the balance is maintained. I am aware that our population keeps growing. But that doesn't matter if Birusu goes around destroying other planets with billions of people on them. Those people then get reincarnated and distributed to the remaining planets. We already know that the Dragon Ball universe was much more populated with planets originally. If Birusu goes around destroying planets and the Kaioshin go around creating them then I honestly don't see a problem with equivalent reincarnation.