Fanmanga - Dragon Ball Wasteland

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scarz
I Live Here

Fanmanga - Dragon Ball Wasteland

Post by Scarz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:12 pm

In an alternate universe Bulma, Chichi, Videl, and 18 are former military soldiers living in a post apocalyptic earth. After "the great war" left most of the world barren, they dedicated their lives to search for the legendary dragon balls and restore the planet to the lush environment it once was.

The entire comic is fully scripted and part one is already sketched. I've already started inking the pages. The comic itself is relatively short but I hope you guys come to enjoy it anyhow! I'm thinking about posting one page a day (not counting the weekends) and taking a two week break once the first chapter is fully posted. We'll see how it goes.

Guess it's about time I created a DB fan comic that isn't all about boobies.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Fanmanga - Dragon Ball Wasteland

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Scarz wrote:Guess it's about time I created a DB fan comic that isn't all about boobies.
...My...My life is a lie! :shock:

Kidding, of course. I'm a fan of your artwork, lewd or otherwise, so I can't wait to see where this goes! I admit, I'm not the biggest fan of AU's though, but mostly because a majority of the ones I remember from fanfiction were like...'in an alternate high school AU, Goku is the least popular kid in school, and he has the hots for Bulma, all the while Chi Chi has the hots for him. Bulma just thinks of Goku as a friend, same with Yamcha, because she lusts after the bad boy Vegeta! Oh, and Krillin's there for comedy relief lolz'. So basically half of Evolution before Evolution was even a thing. :P But I'm definitely open to see how this one goes.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Ah, Tankgirl meets anime eh? Sexy.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:15 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:...'in an alternate high school AU, Goku is the least popular kid in school, and he has the hots for Bulma, all the while Chi Chi has the hots for him. Bulma just thinks of Goku as a friend, same with Yamcha, because she lusts after the bad boy Vegeta! Oh, and Krillin's there for comedy relief lolz'.
You've been reading my fan fiction, I see.

On a serious note, I forgot to mention that despite the post apocalyptic setting, the fan comic itself is mostly humor and action. I didn't take myself too seriously when writing this. :)

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:23 pm

Scarz wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:...'in an alternate high school AU, Goku is the least popular kid in school, and he has the hots for Bulma, all the while Chi Chi has the hots for him. Bulma just thinks of Goku as a friend, same with Yamcha, because she lusts after the bad boy Vegeta! Oh, and Krillin's there for comedy relief lolz'.
You've been reading my fan fiction, I see.
Believe me, the ones I'm remembering couldn't possibly be...

...actually, come to think of it, they did get kinda sexual at some points...so who knows. :P (Seriously though, they were mostly so terrible that I can't imagine they were yours.)

Hmm...actually, I don't want to pry all of the upcoming stuff out of you before you post even the first page of course, but will we be seeing any other DB characters in this comic, or just the four main girls?
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:27 pm

Reminds me abit of Junk Force.

Also, spoiler alert, the lizard is the strongest of them all.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:04 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Believe me, the ones I'm remembering couldn't possibly be...

...actually, come to think of it, they did get kinda sexual at some points...so who knows. :P (Seriously though, they were mostly so terrible that I can't imagine they were yours.)
I wouldn't put it past me. I wrote some pretty horrid fan fiction back in the day.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Hmm...actually, I don't want to pry all of the upcoming stuff out of you before you post even the first page of course, but will we be seeing any other DB characters in this comic, or just the four main girls?
There will definitely be other DB characters and I will leave it at that. :shh:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:Also, spoiler alert, the lizard is the strongest of them all.
Dude, next time use spoiler tags! Some people would like NOT to know how it ends. :wink:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:13 am

Just notice the bras on the tank.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:30 am

Is Videl eating a Poptart?
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:30 am

when I saw the sketch in the other thread, it immediately reminded me of Sandland, especially with that tank and the scenery being a wasteland.
I'm excited for how this story will pan out.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:30 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Is Videl eating a Poptart?
Food rations... but you know what, yes she is.
dbgtFO wrote:when I saw the sketch in the other thread, it immediately reminded me of Sandland, especially with that tank and the scenery being a wasteland.
I'm excited for how this story will pan out.
I took a lot of visual inspiration from Sandland.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:33 pm

You don't have to answer this if you don't want, but: how do you get that kind of quality black/white contrast? I understand you have to play with the levels/curves/threshold kinda stuff, but I've always found it a bit vague as to how to get it just right. It seems to me that doing it that way would make it hard to keep it consistent for every page.

Just something that's been bugging me as an aspiring comic artist. Anyhow, yours is looking good so far! Good job continuing to draw and upload stuff, I know how much work it can be :D
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:11 pm

Good to know other DB characters will be making an appearance, I can't wait to see who and how. :mrgreen: And I can't believe I still haven't read Sand Land...I really need to grab that at some point.
Twitter

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:06 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:You don't have to answer this if you don't want, but: how do you get that kind of quality black/white contrast? I understand you have to play with the levels/curves/threshold kinda stuff, but I've always found it a bit vague as to how to get it just right. It seems to me that doing it that way would make it hard to keep it consistent for every page.

Just something that's been bugging me as an aspiring comic artist. Anyhow, yours is looking good so far! Good job continuing to draw and upload stuff, I know how much work it can be :D
All the pages are actually inked digitally! The pages are sketched on paper but everything else is done in Photoshop. I hardly do traditional inks anymore. But I think I know what you mean about quality control with black and white scanned images. I ran into the same problem myself when I first started scanning in my inked work. First off, after scanning the image it's important that the image mode is set to Greyscale (or at least you made sure that the image itself is entirely black and white before making adjustments). Eventually, you'll realize that all you need is one or two adjustment tools to get a crisp clean b&w image. In my case I use Levels and Brightness and Contrast only (if you have CS6 or higher, make sure "legacy" is checked for Brightness/Contrast).

No two pages can be adjusted the same way, but they should LOOK similar and have the same result in the end. Hopefully I was helpful, if you need me to explain it a bit more, I wouldn't mind sketching and inking a quick piece and showing a simple step by step guide to getting clean B&W image every time.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:16 pm

Stole from the Saiyans' camp, eh? Well, at least that answers the question of what other Dragon Ball characters are gonna make their appearance!

Twitter

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Saiyans on Earth huh? are they just another race of Earthlings like the three eyed clan, or are they stranded with Planet Vegeta being space dust?

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:57 pm

So many questions...but I'll start slow.
Who is Videl's lizard?
Are some characters younger in normal? (Bulma and Chi-Chi)

P.S. Videl looks the best in this style, yet Bulma has the best outfit.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:06 am

And the lizard is her pet, awesome. Please name it Satan in honor of her (assumingly) dead father.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:34 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Saiyans on Earth huh? are they just another race of Earthlings like the three eyed clan, or are they stranded with Planet Vegeta being space dust?
They're another race of earthlings, yes.
hulkty wrote:So many questions...but I'll start slow.
Who is Videl's lizard?
The lizard is Videl's pet.
Are some characters younger in normal? (Bulma and Chi-Chi)
They're all in their "prime".
P.S. Videl looks the best in this style, yet Bulma has the best outfit.
Of course, Bulma will always have the best outfit.
KentalSSJ6 wrote:And the lizard is her pet, awesome. Please name it Satan in honor of her (assumingly) dead father.
Last edited by Scarz on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:41 pm

I dunno about Bulma having the best outfit...it's nice, but Videl's works pretty well for her too. I'm probably the least fond of 18's, though admittedly it does work for her.

...Wait a sec...isn't that your rendition of yourself, sitting on the chair snoozing, Scarz? I seem to recall that from one of your Multiverse gag comics. :lol:
Twitter