Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:51 am

Attitudefan wrote:CrunchyRoll just released an interview with Sabat, and at the end of it, he mentions stuff about NDAs and how he's working on something big but can't disclose it yet, but it sounds like it's soon.

Now he mentioned it is something that he's worked on for a long time. I wonder if it has to do with Ocean Kai...
More than likely, he's talking about The Final Chapters. We know they've been recording since before early 2013, so that would fit the "long time" description.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:43 am

A link to the interview in question:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-featur ... pher-sabat

And the relevant bits (some of which may or may not actually be Dragon Ball-related):
Do you have any favorite voice actors (Japanese or English) who you admire, or whose work you follow?

CS: I love Mayumi Tanaka (Krillin in Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z/Dragon Ball GT, Luffy in One Piece)! I adore her voice so much! By far, she's my favorite Japanese voice actress. Man, I don't actually know--it's funny how I end up getting cast on a lot of similar-sounding characters. I usually get cast as the guy who's part of the good guy team, but not really all that into it, like Zoro or Kuwabara, or Kurogane in Tsubasa Chronicle, the tough guy with a heart of gold! I've done so much of this dubbing where I start to hear the same voices in Japan a lot, like I end up dubbing over the same actor a lot of times. [Here, he talks about something that hasn't been announced yet, but I'm sure Funimation will announce this soon! I think you'll like it.] Basically, it's me playing a character that looks and sounds like another character I've played, but couldn't be more different.

As for American voice actors, I've worked as a voice director so I've had the opportunity to call in some truly talented performers. Some of the women I've worked with, like Colleen Clinkenbeard, Laura Bailey, Luci Christian, y'know, Chris Ayres came in recently to take over as Frieza (in Dragon Ball Z Kai) and that's just instantly become one of the most memorable roles I've witnessed. [HE DOES IT AGAIN and talks about something we can't cover quite yet! Sorry for all the censoring!] He's amazing! As far as guys who have inspired me, I've known Troy Baker for a long time and actually helped get him into the business, and he's just such an amazing guy to listen to. He's a brilliant impersonator, and he's really capable of impersonating people that other actors don't even think of touching. He'll always do a weird, unexpected impression instead of going for the easy one. Jason Douglas, Jason Liebrecht, they're both great actors, um... I've just been so fortunate to work with all these excellent actors and I've had to chance to just sit in a chair and listen to them work their magic.
Is there anything exciting we can look forward to from you?

CS: No, nothing at all. I plan on doing nothing exciting at all. Uhh... the hardest thing about working in this business is knowing that there are things coming out that you can't talk about. There's something big for me coming up, and I don't know exactly when we're announcing it, but basically I always love getting to revisit something I've spent this much time on.
The part where he mentions Chris Ayres taking over as Freeza and then it immediately goes into "whoops, gotta censor this" territory makes me think maybe he also leaked something about RoF, and the part at the end about revisiting something he's "spent this much time on" (given the context of the interview) does seem like it's probably referring to The Final Chapters.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:14 am

but basically I always love getting to revisit something I've spent this much time on.
It's so obviously "Final Chapters."

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:52 pm

I'm hoping for a Final Chapters announcement any day now. This is around the time that the dub for the first phase of Kai was announced and if they follow a similar schedule, we should hear about it soon. The other reveal definitely seems to hint at Revival of F. A simultaneous worldwide release would be amazing.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:43 pm

I'm not trying to be a downer, but do people know if this is ever going to actually happen? I've read posts saying that the Ocean VA's have done work on it, but it's been almost 5 years(?) since the announcement. I mean i'm not even an Ocean fan, never was, but I think it'd be interesting to see Ocean take another shot at Z (hopefully without all the reaalllly corny/stupid lines lol.)

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:34 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:I'm not trying to be a downer, but do people know if this is ever going to actually happen? I've read posts saying that the Ocean VA's have done work on it, but it's been almost 5 years(?) since the announcement. I mean i'm not even an Ocean fan, never was, but I think it'd be interesting to see Ocean take another shot at Z (hopefully without all the reaalllly corny/stupid lines lol.)
This dub has never been announced.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:40 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I'm not trying to be a downer, but do people know if this is ever going to actually happen? I've read posts saying that the Ocean VA's have done work on it, but it's been almost 5 years(?) since the announcement. I mean i'm not even an Ocean fan, never was, but I think it'd be interesting to see Ocean take another shot at Z (hopefully without all the reaalllly corny/stupid lines lol.)
This dub has never been announced.
Well, I guess unofficial announcement would be a better term.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:29 pm

sangofe wrote:Must be frustrating to be one of the voice actors of the dub, not knowing if their work will ever be available... (And all that wasted money for whoever hired all these actors!)
I know. You'd think that alone would make them want to air it...they paid for the voice actors to come in, so they might as well put that money to use.

Thus far, I'm very much inclined to agree with what Blade said earlier:
Blade wrote:At this point, my working theory is that this dub was created on the assumption that, like with Dragonball Z, they would be able to sell it to at least 2 English speaking markets, both Canada and the UK - but for some reason, the latter has received Funimation's dub this time around and the former has yet to receive anything at all. The situation in the UK with Dragonball Z was very, very complicated, and resulted in us getting a real mixture of different English dubs, which but for the most part, wasn't Funimations. As to why that was the case remains a murky issue, but it's always been generally understood that the reasons were largely financial between Turner Broadcasting UK and Funimation, and the end result was for Turner to fund the Westwood dub to the remit of 'how fast can you get this shit out of the door and into our hands?'. The fact that Cartoon Network UK is very much a different organisation now to what it was back then meant that they passed on Kai when given the option, allowing a smaller, unknown broadcaster to pick up the rights, 'Kix'. I can only assume therefore that whatever issues existed between Turner UK and Funimation simply weren't a problem for Kix, resulting in the adoption of the Funimation dub, all the while the people who've paid for this new Ocean may have been sat thinking they were the first port of call.
That sounds like a very solid theory, it would make a lot of sense if this was the case. I don't know the reason why this dub hasn't aired yet, but it looks very much like there has been some kind of legal problem with the broadcasting rights that the producers of the Ocean dub did not anticipate at all. An important piece of the puzzle to remember is that Kix was aware of the existence of the Ocean dub, but Toei did not give them the option to have it, telling them that it had to be FUNimation's dub if they wanted Kai.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Bananape
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bananape » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:44 pm

Am I the only one upset Sabat is allowed to tell CR about this project but not the readers? Like seriously, what priority does CR have? They aren't even affiliated with FUNimation...

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:16 pm

Bananape wrote:Am I the only one upset Sabat is allowed to tell CR about this project but not the readers? Like seriously, what priority does CR have? They aren't even affiliated with FUNimation...
It's quite possible that he thought it was OK to talk about certain things, only to realize on the spot that he shouldn't have brought it up. That happens all the time. Lots of instances from many different voice actors to the effect of, "And I'm also working on this proj--OH........I...I mean no, no I'm not......can you guys edit that out?"
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:29 am

Bananape wrote:Am I the only one upset Sabat is allowed to tell CR about this project but not the readers? Like seriously, what priority does CR have? They aren't even affiliated with FUNimation...
Doesn't sound like he told CR what it's about, either.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:58 am

And I think it's also more likely he was talking about The Final Chapters and Z Movie 15. I don't know why this is the first thing to enter people's heads. :?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Four Years, and nearly Six Months, yet we haven't had a goddamn word about this dub. It's become the Duke Nukem Forever of the DBZ fanbase.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:59 pm

Hades wrote:Four Years, and nearly Six Months, yet we haven't had a goddamn word about this dub. It's become the Duke Nukem Forever of the DBZ fanbase.
And yet, that game did eventually come out...

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:13 pm

Since someone's already needlessly bumped the thread... I don't suppose there's any company we (as fans) can email to request this dub? I admit, it seems rather futile but I feel like it's better than doing nothing at this point. Does Funimation of Toei have an email for this sort of thing?

I'd offer to make a petition but honestly I don't think companies even pay attention to those anymore, maybe I'm wrong about that.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:34 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Hades wrote:Four Years, and nearly Six Months, yet we haven't had a goddamn word about this dub. It's become the Duke Nukem Forever of the DBZ fanbase.
And yet, that game did eventually come out...
I wonder if that will be the final fate of the Ocean dub of Kai.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:39 pm

Is anyone really still holding out for this? This thread is coming up on five years old. Regardless of my own lack of caring about an Ocean dub of Kai, I've long since accepted that this phantom dub will most probably never see the light of day.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:15 am

The Tori-bot wrote:Is anyone really still holding out for this? This thread is coming up on five years old. Regardless of my own lack of caring about an Ocean dub of Kai, I've long since accepted that this phantom dub will most probably never see the light of day.
I'm still holding out. I have come to accept that there's a strong possibility we won't see it, but two things will have to happen for me to completely lose hope:

1) The FUNimation dub will have to air on Canadian TV. The Ocean dub is being produced in Canada, and Kai hasn't aired on Canadian TV yet. That can't be a coincidence.
2) The FUNimation dub will have to be released in its entirety, Buu arc included. Part of me wonders if there's a contractual clause stating that the Ocean dub can't begin airing until FUNimation's dub has aired from start to finish.

Like I said, though, we may not see it. Years ago I would have said, "Of course we'll see it!" Now, I'm not so sure. But I'm not ready to give up just yet.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:08 pm

Last time I made this joke (back in 2011) Mike yelled at me, but I'll say it again...

I think we should change the name of this thread to "Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub DOESN'T seem to be coming..."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:00 pm

This video is 2 years old, but Scott McNeil says Namek the same way he was advised to in the kai dub lol It's interesting because he's open about how much he hates saying it that way but did it unintentionally lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilvj-jS8IYQ