Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by mAcChaos » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:27 am

SSJGFrieza wrote:
MagicBox wrote:Again, though. What were you expecting?

There's absolutely no other ending for a character like Freeza. Keeping him alive, making him a recurring villain, etc. Nothing else does the character justice, and the premise doesn't warrant anything more than what Kei said we got. We got to have one last story with Dragon Ball's most popular villain. We got to have one last story with Nakao in the recording booth. I don't know how anyone could have expected this to turn into a multi-film epic or whatever people were thinking.
Nakao hinted that Freeza would survive but that was obviously bullshit
Yeah he said something about watching til the end of the credits. I wonder what was there.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:30 am

mAcChaos wrote:Yeah he said something about watching til the end of the credits. I wonder what was there.
Didn't Kei say it was Freeza back in his hell pod, screaming "NOOOOO!" while surrounded by all the annoying cute things?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:31 am

mAcChaos wrote:
SSJGFrieza wrote:
MagicBox wrote:Again, though. What were you expecting?

There's absolutely no other ending for a character like Freeza. Keeping him alive, making him a recurring villain, etc. Nothing else does the character justice, and the premise doesn't warrant anything more than what Kei said we got. We got to have one last story with Dragon Ball's most popular villain. We got to have one last story with Nakao in the recording booth. I don't know how anyone could have expected this to turn into a multi-film epic or whatever people were thinking.
Nakao hinted that Freeza would survive but that was obviously bullshit
Yeah he said something about watching til the end of the credits. I wonder what was there.
The "loses the battle, but wins the war" thing was a little odd, too. Unless "winning the war" was when he blew up the earth. But that victory didn't last long.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:32 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
mAcChaos wrote:Yeah he said something about watching til the end of the credits. I wonder what was there.
Didn't Kei say it was Freeza back in his hell pod, screaming "NOOOOO!" while surrounded by all the annoying cute things?
A part of me is hoping Kei was trolling

But considering this Toriyama it wouldn't surprise me
Linda Young 4 lyfe

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:36 am

If the ''Blue Super Saiyan God'' is a stage before the true ''Red Super Saiyan God'' (or part of the Red Super Saiyan God) then why that form looks more macho (Super Saiyan hairstyle) than the actual Red Super Saiyan God form (Normal Saiyan haistyle)? Red Super Saiyan God should have looked like this then...

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:37 am

SSJGFrieza wrote:Nakao hinted that Freeza would survive but that was obviously bullshit
Nakao never hinted at anything. "Please watch until the very end!" Voice actors are always using that line. How many times have we heard Nozawa say that since 2013?

On the blog, Nakao said "If you watch until the end, then maybe once more..." He wasn't hinting at some post-credits nonsense. It's just a generic "If everyone goes to support the film, then who knows what the future will bring?" The fans took it from there and brought all of this disappointment upon themselves. And besides, according to Kei, Freeza does appear after the credits. In Hell. Surrounded by angels and stuffed animals. So even if Nakao was talking about seeing Freeza at the "very end" of the film, he wasn't wrong.
Last edited by MagicBox on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:40 am

Big Momma wrote: The "loses the battle, but wins the war" thing was a little odd, too. Unless "winning the war" was when he blew up the earth. But that victory didn't last long.
If the war was his "revenge against Gokû and Future Trunks" maybe the incident leaves Gokû with some psychological or emotional wounds? Something he can't fix with the dragon balls? I'm not sure.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:42 am

JulieYBM wrote:I kind of get the feeling you would have answered this already if you had anything to say, but I suppose I shall make one last go at is: did you catch any of the staff names during the credits? :P
I saw these names:

Co-animation Supervisors - Ide, Shimanuki, Nashizawa
Key Animation - Yuki Kinoshita, Shingo Ishikawa, Ide, Shimanuki

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:58 am

I swear, I'm going to tie this all into Dragon Ball...somehow!!
SaiyanZ wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
SaiyanZ wrote:From the summary I read of The Last, it seemed like a terrible film. Still have to watch it though, but I'm really bummed that we don't even get a glimpse of Freeza's training. Perhaps it'll come in the extended edition?
It was a dream come true for fans of the Naruto and Hinata pairing, at least thats what I hear, but all in all as a shonen movie it sucked ass due to only 10sec Sasuke and Kakashi not doing anything fact be told The Last was more of a shoujo movie than a shonen.
yeah I heard that. I stayed up to date with Naruto when it was releasing weekly and I knew the movie would fail to make believe that Naruto and Hinata like one another. I don't have to watch the movie to know that
Naruto told Hinata he liked her during the Chuunin Exam arc. Naruto consistently spoke about how "Hinata is strong" whenever he spoke about her. Naruto definitely thinks she's weird, but otherwise he's always had a strong sense of respect for her. Naruto's reaction to Neji's last words make it pretty clear he knows there's something being passed onto him and him alone. The Last is where we see Naruto realize exactly what exactly his feelings for Hinata--and Hinata's for he--meant. The very last line in the movie is "You guys, you know Mom is super strong when she gets serious!" The entire character arc is really interesting to examine, even if the story should have definitely taken place sooner than two years after the Fourth Great Shinobi War.

Albeit, The Last exists solely because Kishimoto didn't feel comfortable drawing the story himself, but it is still a really solid depiction of the characters' culminating relationship. Naruto is the biggest chick-magnet in his homeland, yet feels more alone then ever. There's a really nice scene early in the movie of Naruto surrounded by unopened presents in his small, dark apartment watching the night sky alone that underscores a running arc for Naruto: he's looking for a family. He's not looking for fangirls that squeal "Senpai!" while falling out of windows (that actually happens in the movie), he's looking for the rest of his life. That's something no Dragon Ball character would ever feel. He has friends and comrades, but he doesn't have 'family'. That's what makes the story so powerful after the entirety of the comic. Naruto's an adult now, he's hugely respected and the most powerful guy on the planet, but he's still in want of the most basic human necessity. In contrast, it seems Fukkatsu no F has nothing within even a hundred miles of an anchor to its non-story. Dragon Ball is really good at being something where one doesn't feel much about the story, but The Last is simply that much better at being something where one does feel. Perhaps one can say Toriyama's detachment has led to aimlessness in this case.

A lack of story ambition isn't necessarily bad but the addition of it can definitely help. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing just how Freeza is actually defeated and the connecting of the dots that the dialogue provides. If the interactions between the characters in Fukkatsu no F are even half as good as the interactions in The Last we might be in for something entertaining, but it certainly doesn't sound like we're in for anything memorable, especially within the grand scheme of the Dragon Ball franchise. Kami to Kami felt like the beginning of a new chapter in our franchise. Fukkatsu no F sounds like a major treading of water.

EDIT: Thanks, Kei. Wow, Ishikawa Shingo returns?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:06 am

MagicBox wrote:
SSJGFrieza wrote:Nakao hinted that Freeza would survive but that was obviously bullshit
Nakao never hinted at anything. "Please watch until the very end!" Voice actors are always using that line. How many times have we heard Nozawa say that since 2013?

On the blog, Nakao said "If you watch until the end, then maybe once more..." He wasn't hinting at some post-credits nonsense. It's just a generic "If everyone goes to support the film, then who knows what the future will bring?" The fans took it from there and brought all of this disappointment upon themselves. And besides, according to Kei, Freeza does appear after the credits. In Hell. Surrounded by angels and stuffed animals. So even if Nakao was talking about seeing Freeza at the "very end" of the film, he wasn't wrong.
Those expectations were actually based more on this interview here, where Nakao's comments sound a little less ambiguous:
Such unimaginable strength!
Something like that anyway; he’s really something special. (laughs) (In this new movie) as far as Freeza’s concerned, you could say he “loses the battle, but wins the war”. Stay in your seats when the ending credits start to roll, and keep watching until the very end.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... sei-nakao/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:13 am

*Googles Shingo Ishikawa*.
*Sees credits include key animation in Movie 12.* Nice!
Is there any video showing what parts were his?
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:14 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Those expectations were actually based more on this interview here, where Nakao's comments sound a little less ambiguous:
Such unimaginable strength!
Something like that anyway; he’s really something special. (laughs) (In this new movie) as far as Freeza’s concerned, you could say he “loses the battle, but wins the war”. Stay in your seats when the ending credits start to roll, and keep watching until the very end.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... sei-nakao/
Yeah, the next time anyone involved with the next movie says anything positive, I'm going to disregard it and go in with zero expectations.
Linda Young 4 lyfe

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:21 am

*Checks animation guide for Shingo Ishikawa. Sees who he is.* Very nice!! This is the guy who did the very last Z episode, 284, and 276 among others.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:23 am

Not gonna lie, Kei17's review really bummed me out. I was hoping for a little more then just fight scenes with no real story or evolution of the characters. It's just bad guys show up, good guys fight... all almost lose and then win in the end. It's all the old DBZ movies. Never was the things I liked about Dragon Ball. I'm gonna see it for myself still, but that was a very disappointing thing to read. Not entirely unexpected, but disappointing none the less.

Maybe we really don't need anymore new Dragon Ball after all. It's sort of like the philosophy behind why you don't need to reboot every franchise or make sequels to movies years later. Robert Zemeckis won't do another Back to the Future because he knows they can't top it/make it better and that the story has pretty much concluded. Perhaps that's where we are with Dragon Ball.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:26 am

I can't judge til I at least read Julian's full summary, but I feel like they could've definitely done more. Maybe F is a reaction to fan reactions to BOG. Maybe they decided to make it mostly action simply because those who wanted mostly action were really vocal about it.

And with that I'm out for the night; very long two days ahead of me. I'll check in whenever I can.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:34 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Is this film really so bad for focusing on interaction and development with characters we already know, rather than trying to complicate Freeza's return?
I think Beerus is the only baggage. It had a lot of fun character stuff that I haven't mentioned yet.
Does Jaco not get a proper introduction? I can't imagine he's totally left unexplored, surely?
He explains about himself to the clerk of Capsule Corp, but I think those who haven't read Jaco can be pretty confused. He mostly talks only with Bulma and he's there solely for the sake of comic relief. The audience including me enjoyed his gags a lot anyway.
Do Freeza's soldiers get any sort of characterisation akin to the Ginyu Tokusentai? Sorbet and Tagoma aren't left as worthless mannequins, right?
No, sadly. They're "worthless mannequins." But there's good news for Mike: Appule was there.
This whole deal with the blue haired Saiyan, is that even a thing? If so, does that not suffice for some sort of story?
It's just Super Saiyan fused with Godly power. It happens solely for a powerup and has no interesting story behind it.
What separates this film from what came before? How did you feel about Battle of Gods in comparison to this? Just looking for a clearer perspective, really.
Despite being heavily action-packed, the fight against Freeza is not intended to be a real crisis. It's depicted as Goku and Vegeta's training and their opportunity of character development. Goku once more shows his mercy and inattention which incurs the destruction of the Earth. Beerus scolds Goku for his too much leniency, and then he reflects on it and finishes off Freeza without hesitation after Whis using time rewind. As for Vegeta, Freeza tries to draw him to his side and suggests him to kill Goku, but Vegeta refuses it and admits that Goku is special to him. These were nice character developments, but it didn't go well with the tention of the story and lessened Freeza's importance at the same time. Speaking of BoG, I prefer it over this film because it introduced a lot of new fascinating things to the DB universe which really excited me when I first watched. In contrast, Resurrection F brings nothing new to us except for some new forms. There were only some developments of already existing stuff, which felt very lacking to me.

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Kei17, how was the animation, the in-motion, and the overall direction of animation? Did it look better than Battle of Gods?

As the director, did Tadayoshi Yamamuro surpass your expectations or it's as we feared?
It DID look better than BoG. The characters were on-model and the key animators did a really good job. Yamamuro's direction didn't bother me much, too.
Last edited by kei17 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:36 am

According to Hujio on Twitter, Dr. Brief is in the movie, but voiced by Ryōichi Tanaka instead of Jōji Yanami.

:cry:

*closes eyes and puts hands on ears*

It's still the 90s, it's still the 90s, everyone still has their original voice actors, la la la, I can't hear you...

EDIT:
kei17 wrote:As for Vegeta, Freeza tries to draw him to his side and suggests him to kill Goku, but Vegeta refuses it and admits that Goku is special to him.
Bracing for Chuquita's reaction in three... two... one...
Last edited by MagicBox on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:36 am

So Freeza was nothing more than a training exercise to them?

Oh yeah his image wasn't ruined at all Nakao.
Linda Young 4 lyfe

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:37 am

Kei, did Vegeta really fight Frieza in a weakened state due to fighting Goku while Vegeta was fresh? And was Frieza's attack a surprise attack or an attack that he could not simply stop? Also, how did Sorbet help Frieza in the Goku vs Frieza fight?

VeteranX

Post by VeteranX » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:38 am

bleed0range wrote:Not gonna lie, Kei17's review really bummed me out. I was hoping for a little more then just fight scenes with no real story or evolution of the characters. It's just bad guys show up, good guys fight... all almost lose and then win in the end. It's all the old DBZ movies. Never was the things I liked about Dragon Ball. I'm gonna see it for myself still, but that was a very disappointing thing to read. Not entirely unexpected, but disappointing none the less.

Maybe we really don't need anymore new Dragon Ball after all. It's sort of like the philosophy behind why you don't need to reboot every franchise or make sequels to movies years later. Robert Zemeckis won't do another Back to the Future because he knows they can't top it/make it better and that the story has pretty much concluded. Perhaps that's where we are with Dragon Ball.
Haha reading your comment bums me out... but I understand what you're trying to say.
Favorite characters: Goku,Vegeta,Future Trunks

On my way to collect all the dragon balls!