Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Turtle bits

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Turtle bits » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Perfect chance to make up for completely ignoring Lunch exists at all. I would explode if they literally just started the first episode with lunch being up to her old ways.
I'm not too worried about the main cast, just let them be actual characters and be relevant.

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:55 am

I really want to see Mirai Trunks and 17's family. It would be interesting if Mirai Trunks came back due to another conflict or even just to visit everyone and stuck around for an arc or so.
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:10 am

I'd like to see Tao and Android 17 make a comeback.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:27 am

It's refreshing seeing a lot of people welcoming 17 to return, he isn't as popular among the Youtube community sadly. Recently I have been thinking, what if Launch was in fact 17's wife, wouldn't that be interesting... :think:
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

Zenkashuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkashuu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:14 pm

The question is, why do we need those characters? I mean, Gine? Come on! Just to see her on the screen?

We have so many uninteresting characters: Chi chi, Puar, Yajirobe to name a few, why do we need to add more? I don't get it. Serious question.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Why do people want more of Son Gohan if he is already "gone"? Why does the author keep him around when he doesn't do anything to him other than having his ass kicked?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Zenkashuu wrote:The question is, why do we need those characters? I mean, Gine? Come on! Just to see her on the screen?

We have so many uninteresting characters: Chi chi, Puar, Yajirobe to name a few, why do we need to add more? I don't get it. Serious question.
It's worth keeping in mind that characters you find uninteresting might actually be interesting to others. I'm not fond of Chi Chi or Puar, but Yajirobe amuses me and I'd certainly like to see more done with him, even if it's just humorous antics. Same goes for Oolong, and Chaozu definitely deserves to finally do something, anything.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Zenkashuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkashuu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:35 pm

@Gyt Kaliba I fail too see how this help plot wise. Take for example BoG movie, if Pilaf gang was missing would it change anything? No, it was used as filler. And I ask, you want them to be used like this? Since in fights don't have any chance.
Dyno wrote:Why do people want more of Son Gohan if he is already "gone"? Why does the author keep him around when he doesn't do anything to him other than having his ass kicked?
That didn't answer my question. :3

And yeah, we don't need Gohan anymore cause the way they use him is bad. It's better to leave him out.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:38 pm

I'd like to see 17 again; he was amusing to me and frankly, I'd like to see him and 18 interact now that she's had a child and gotten married. I was also a fan of Launch and Tenshinhan. I'd like to see what they're up to; seeing Tenshinhan briefly during Gohan's fight with Buu was nice. I truthfully wouldn't mind seeing Gine animated but only if it made sense. I don't see her even being s supporting character but I'd like to see her maybe in flashbacks or something similar.

Ultimately though, I really just want to see the current characters we have get some time in the spotlight. I want to have Goten, Trunks and Gohan be relevant again. I want to see if they give Bra some personality, same with Marron. I wouldn't mind seeing the next generation take over if they made the next generation interesting. I want to see Goten and Trunks have individual personalities, not just always together. Pan is intriguing if they give her a good foil to work off of.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:47 pm

TJVY wrote:It's refreshing seeing a lot of people welcoming 17 to return, he isn't as popular among the Youtube community sadly. Recently I have been thinking, what if Launch was in fact 17's wife, wouldn't that be interesting... :think:
#17 married a zoologist and has three children with his wife.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:53 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Image

Bring him back. Him, and Devilman.
Sorry, but if this happens, then there will be no series at all. Akkuman can crush every heart which is not pure (And I am pretty sure that anyone besides Goku (and even that is arguable post Buu), Gohan, Pan (maybe) and Goten aren't pure enough, this of course goes for both Beerus and Whis, and most likely all Gods of Destruction) and Monster Carrot can turn anyone into a carrot with a single touch... No thrill at all.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:55 pm

Zenkashuu wrote:@Gyt Kaliba I fail too see how this help plot wise. Take for example BoG movie, if Pilaf gang was missing would it change anything? No, it was used as filler. And I ask, you want them to be used like this? Since in fights don't have any chance.
You missed my point entirely I think. I don't have to see a character fight to enjoy them. There are other things they can do to advance the plot, just like always. Like Kuririn getting 18's remote. Or Goku himself going to get senzu beans for Videl. And I don't have to have everything advance the story either, because I enjoy things like Roshi's perverted antics, or Yajirobe asking if he can hit Chi Chi.

Seriously, why is everyone so focused on JUST the fighting aspects of Dragon Ball? I get it, it's a major part. It's arguably the MAIN part. But it's not the ONLY part. I come to Dragon Ball for the comedy, the characters, the stories, the action, the whole enchilada. But the way some of you talk, you'd be happy with a clip show that was just the characters punching each other for an hour - oh, but only if it totally fits into your power charts you've been making for years.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Zenkashuu wrote:That didn't answer my question. :3
That actually answers. When we ask for someone like Gine, we don't necessarily want her to appear in this point of story. A flashback, a story of the past are what they mean, not only for character development but maybe to estabilish something. "Appear just for the sake of screentime" is what happened in Dragon Ball Minus, that is not what we want. You should know this.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:26 pm

What about Captain Chicken?

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:43 pm

One_Instance wrote:What about Captain Chicken?
Now that you reminded me... Why the heck this Nock guy looks just like Pan? :(

I mean, seriously,
He has a bit similar hairstyle, the same bandana and very similar jeans with even belts resembling each other. Did Toriyama just took her character design from him for some reason?
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Diotor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diotor » Fri May 01, 2015 9:12 am

Launch and the normal aged Pilaf Gang.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Fri May 01, 2015 10:30 pm

Actually going off an idea I've seen another user post, it'd be really cool to see some of the old characters from Dragonball. What if grandpa gohan was back on the scene, give Goku the feelz.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sat May 02, 2015 9:48 am

Saiyan_nation_ wrote:Actually going off an idea I've seen another user post, it'd be really cool to see some of the old characters from Dragonball. What if grandpa gohan was back on the scene, give Goku the feelz.
That already happened a long time back, I don't want them to shoehorn back in things that have already happened I would rather get development for any new characters and for ones that didn't get enough development in the old series (like Oob or Pan or Bra or even teenage Gotan & Trunks)

I love Lunch but she really wasn't ever important to the story even back when she was "relevant" truth is she was never relevant to begin with and the series already has enough comic relief characters so why doesn't she just hang with them instead (just like she used to do in the Tenkaichi Budokai audience) there shouldn't be a big thing made about her return other than a "where have you even been??" moment in which she gives a crazy story about what she did during Z (I would actually love for that to happen)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:51 pm

I wonder if Toriyama could write Towa and Mira into Super?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat May 02, 2015 6:56 pm

Surely he can, the real question is: Will he write them into Super?