What terminology do you usually use?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What terminology do you usually use?

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:17 pm

Recognizing the franchise's resurgence in Japan, I usually use a mixed up manga/anime names for the franchise's characters, races, etc... although I rotate the ones from the English dub.

Examples:
* Son Goku
* Bulma
* Freeza
* Vegeta
* Kuririn
* Piccolo
* Bardock
* Ghurd
* Recoom
* Burta
* Jhees
* Ginyu
* Cell
* Bebi
* Tsufuru-jin
* Saiyan
* Beerus
* Kaio-sama
* Tenkaichi Budokai

Give it your examples of any terminology (Japanese, Viz, FUNi, etc..).
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Absolute Ice
Beyond Newbie

Re: What terminology do you usually use?

Post by Absolute Ice » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:31 pm

I normally use the manga/Japanese versions (with a "mix" with English) with the addition of the "real" name of a character, that is why I call the protagonist "Kakarot/Kakaroto", since that is his name and nothing else (but I use it with a "T" because I prefer with just one), the same would go for Vegetto, but I am trying to type/write with double "T", so sometimes you will see me calling him by either way.

I make an exception for Dabura, I just can't call him "Dabra", it is too weird for me. I also prefer to call "North Kaio", "South Kaioshin", "Dai Kaio/Dai Kaioshin", rather than in English with its "Supreme Kai", "Grand Kai" and etc.

I don't know why, but only on Kanzenshuu I say/type "Saiyan", even when I prefer to type "Saiyajin", and even more since I always type "Tsufuru/Tsufurujin". It kinda confuses even me. :crazy:

F-a-s-h-a and T-u-r-l-e-s are example of a few names that I prefer totally in English.
ジャネンバ ミラ

For a reality whose Janemba and Mira join the canon world and receive a proper personality.
The Greatest Villains Ever!

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:46 pm

On English forums/sites in general, almost all FUNimation terms because I got used to it.

When speaking, I use my dub's terms, which are almost all like the Japanese with few exceptions.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

OkamiTakahashi

Post by OkamiTakahashi » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:56 pm

For the most part I refer to the English terminology- Funimation based I guess. The only case where I don't is when I'm abbreviating Super Saiyan. I tend to do that as SSJ now- because SS reminds me too much of a cruise ship now, and SSJ just sounds kinda cool.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:13 pm

I guess I use a mixture of what I hear in Japanese, see on DVD subs and read in the Viz manga. If it's "wrong" then I'll go with whatever sounds right.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:26 pm

Mixture of Viz (Kakarrotto), Funi (Buu), terms I've seen on Kanzenshuu forums (blueper saiyan) and site (Beerus), and other older places (Bura, saiyajin, ssj, Brolli).

Bonus! I use Table because I like the way it keeps the pun visually. I also like the Blooma spelling for the same reason, but I'm too used to spelling it Bulma to quit.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:17 am

Funimation dub terms/names, for the most part. Mostly use the Japanese names for attacks (the main exception being Spirit Bomb, which I like a lot more as an attack name than Genki-Dama), though.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:38 am

Mainly the same spelling and terminology Steve Simons uses in his sub's with a few dub names.
King Kai
Ginyu Force
Krillin.
Imperfect and Semi Perfect Cell
Super and Kid Buu.
That's about it

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:34 am

I only use names from the funi dub. Only exceptions are "kienzan" and "makankosappo" because those are easier to type and sound cooler than "destructo disc" and "special beam cannon."
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:32 am

I use a combination of the terminoligy in the Simmons subs and the Danish manga. For example, I use Freezer as opposed to Freeza, but I don't always type "Son Goku". I mostly just use "Goku". However, when I talk to Danish fans, I use the Danish manga terminology without exceptions.
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

soduh2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by soduh2 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:45 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I only use names from the funi dub. Only exceptions are "kienzan" and "makankosappo" because those are easier to type and sound cooler than "destructo disc" and "special beam cannon."
Same for me. I alternate between Taioken and Solar Flare, though I prefer the latter.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:25 am

Son-Goku(u), Goku(u)
Gine
Bardock
Shenlong
Vegeta
Bulma
Kuririn
Oob
Broly
Bra
Trunks
Son-Gohan, Gohan
Son-Goten, Goten
Gogeta
Veget(t)o
Gotenks
Pan
Videl
Mr. Satan
Chichi
Rinderteufel (Gyumaoh)
Piccolo
Kami
Oberteufel (Daimaoh)
Dende
Meister Kaioh (Kaioh)
Dai/Groß-Kaioh
Kaiohshin
Dai/Groß-Kaiohshin
Bibidi
Babidi
Dämon Boo (Majin Boo)
Cell
Freezer/Freeza, Golden Boy Freeza
Cooler
C18/Lazuli
C17/Lapis
Muten-Roshi
Tenshinhan
Chaotzu or whatever the correct spelling is
Yamchu/Yamcha
Pool
Ooling
Weraffe, Great Ape, Oozaru
Beerus
Whis
Fat Beerus, Champa
Baby
Super 17
Super Yi-Xing Long

Kamehameha
Genkidama
Sonnenattacke, Sonnenblitz, Tayouken
Kaiohken
Energiediskus (Kienzan)
Höllenspirale (Makankosappo)
Dämonenblitz (Masenko)
Final Flash
Final Shine Attack
Galik-Strahl (Galik-Ho)
Revenge Death Ball
Super Flash Bomb
Eclipse Bomb
Negative Karma Ball
Big Bang Kamehameha

Saiyajin
Tsufurujin
Namekianer
Erdlinge
Super-Saiyajin
2-facher Super-Saiyajin, Ultra-Saiyajin (not only the bulky version is called Ultra-Saiyajin in the German version)
3-facher Super-Saiyajin, Mega-Saiyajin
Super-Saiyajin-Gott
Blueper-Saiyajin
4-facher Super-Saiyajin
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:22 am

When typing, I like to use FUNimation's Steve Simmons' translations. "Kuririn," "Tenshinhan," "Freeza," "Boo," etc. In real life, I use the dub terms usually because they sound a lot more natural and flow with the sentence better than introducing a Japanese name.

The only thing I don't use Steve Simmons' translation for anymore is "Tenkichi Tournament." I just call it the "Tenkaichi Budokai."

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:16 am

BLOOMER

Now and forever...

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:53 pm

Mostly the Portuguese terms for the characters and a mixture of Funi's a Japanese ones for the attacks IRL, they're just so ingrained in the way I talk about the franchise with some of my friends that it's really hard to stop, I'm slowly trying to switch over to being Japanese-only but sometimes I slip up and will use "Satã" (when referring to Piccolo) and Mr. Satan in the same sentence. That said I don't think I will ever stop using Space/Super Warrior and Crystal Balls, I just can't.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:54 pm

*Goku
*Vegeta
*Vegetto
*Kakarotto
*Kuririn
*Tenshinhan
*Piccolo
*Yamcha
*Bulma
*Kienzan
*Kikoho
*Kamehame Wave(Kamehameha mostly on forums,youtube etc.)
*Master Buten(Kame-sennin mostly on forums,youtube etc.)
*Kaiou-sama
*Kaioshin
*Genki Dama
*Freeza
*Revival of 'F'
*Beerus
*Whis
*Saiyan
*Oozaru/SSJ/SSJ2/SSJ3/SSJ4/SSG/SSGSS
*Final Form Freeza
*Mecha Freeza
*Metal Cooler
*Mirai Trunks
*Mr.Pogi(Mr.Satan mostly on forums,youtube etc.)
*Chaozu
Last edited by Khin on Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:01 pm

Absolute Ice wrote:I normally use the manga/Japanese versions (with a "mix" with English) with the addition of the "real" name of a character, that is why I call the protagonist "Kakarot/Kakaroto", since that is his name and nothing else (but I use it with a "T" because I prefer with just one), the same would go for Vegetto, but I am trying to type/write with double "T", so sometimes you will see me calling him by either way.
Well this looks familiar.

I'll just respond with a post by Tori-Bot that sums up my thoughts on the matter.
The Tori-bot wrote:
Dyno wrote:"Legally"? Well, I won't insert real issues about it, but still, names coming from the parents >> names coming from someone who happened to find you somewhere.

Tell me where I did say it's a "problem". :| You certainly aren't wrong calling him "Son Goku", at most, it would serve as a nickname, but the real one is the one that came from the parents, the truly "legally" one.
He expressly rejects his birth name on several occasions. Son Goku is the name he grew up with and chooses to identify himself with. I'm sure if you told him "Son Goku" was just a nickname he wouldn't be happy. If someone you knew had a sex change and changed their name to Katy, would you insist on continuing to call them Chuck because it "came from the parents" and their new name is a "nickname"? If "truly 'legally'" is what you're going for, shouldn't you refer to Marilyn Monroe as Norma Baker too? Do you use "Kal-El" every time you mention Superman? Same deal.

Leaving aside real-life issues, I don't really care what you call him, but we're talking about a fictional character who universally goes by "Goku" in all media worldwide. Using "Kakarrot" makes you sound like you're incessantly role-playing Vegeta. Or Saiyan-Professor.
In real life, insisting on calling someone by a name they wholeheartedly reject would make you an asshole. I see no reason to apply it to fictional characters as well, unless one just wants to come across that way.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Absolute Ice
Beyond Newbie

Post by Absolute Ice » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:09 pm

But that is the case, I just want to come across like that.

I agree on the "real world" part, but since this is a fiction, like you said, there's no problem.
ジャネンバ ミラ

For a reality whose Janemba and Mira join the canon world and receive a proper personality.
The Greatest Villains Ever!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:21 pm

I try to use the romanized Japanese names as often as possible (unless they have a literal translation like Kami to God), but sometimes the Funimation names leak in (Jeice, Guldo, etc), since it was the first dub I ever saw in full and because most people just use those names on other forums (and even on here). Unfortunately I kinda stick with the dub names for some of the lesser characters but, in general, I try to use the names that best fit with the puns the characters are named after.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:19 pm

I use all the dub terms when speaking (subconsciously switch between how I pronounce "Kay-o-ken" and "Kai-o-ken,") and when typing I 99% use the dub terms too, but instead I use the manga/Japanese spelling for Vegetto and Freeza, as well as use SSJ because I think they just look cooler that way.