Bulma's (and the Briefs Family) Hair Colour

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Bulma's (and the Briefs Family) Hair Colour

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:32 pm

OK, Judging by this. I'm aware Bulma's hair is purple in the manga (even DB Movie 4). In the anime, it's always green. But this applies to her daughter, Bra and her all-purple haired son, Trunks.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Bulma's (and the Briefs Family) Hair Colour

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Bulma's hair is green in the first chapter of the manga, which I guess is where the anime creators got it from. After that it was purple though.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:40 pm

I... always thought it was blue in the anime. Guess I'm colorblind.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:42 pm

Yeah same here, seems blue to me.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:48 pm

Well, I see green. So, it's obviously some sort of green-blue. No big deal.

As far as I know Bra's hair, like Bulma's, is only blue, green, whatever, in the anime, just like her mommy. I don't know why Trunks' hair was kept as purple but it could be for any number of reasons.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:51 pm

I suppose the green hair might have given him away a bit, before he actually revealed who he was. Plus he just never had green hair to begin with, unlike Bulma. With Bra I guess they just wanted her to look like Bulma.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:54 pm

This tends to happen a lot when colors are often changed/haven't been shown in a white/black manga. They had already set the precedent her hair was blue-green and couldn't change it without it just seeming tacky. Same with Vegeta's orange and green armor, except they caught that in time to fix it, and it's easier to explain different armor than different hair.

I'd also like to point out Trunks's hair is almost white in the anime, while in the manga, it's a dark purple.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:05 pm

If you wanted to approach it in some sort of explanation-within-the-DB-world way: I guess if you wanted to keep Bulma and Bra with, shall we call it, cyan, hair, to match with the anime presentation, you could say that the gene for pink hair also runs in the family (Bulma's father has it -> isn't expressed in Bulma -> is expressed in Trunks), so either is a possibility. (I mean, since people can actually have these weird colors of hair in this world, who's to say what colors are dominant/recessive? XD) That's how I always imagined it, at least. Trunks got his hair color from his grandfather, and Bra got hers from her mother. I guess I always thought that was the generally accepted fact. (Well, I knew about the Bulma having purple hair at first thing, but to at least explain their choices with later characters.)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:05 pm

What question is being asked here?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:39 am

My funny theory:
  • Bulma's natural hair color is purple (although her father's hair is bluish). That's why Trunks has purple hair.
    Bulma soon realized that this color sucks for her so she dyed her hair greenish-blue.
    Bra thought of the same thing.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:43 am

Dr. Briefs has grey hair, Bulma's mother yellow, Bulma purple alongside with Trunks and Bra.
I read somewhere that purple in manga and anime means that character's hair is blonde, used for a wide color variety. But I don't believe this actualy.
Bulma's hair in anime, Dragon Box colors is sea green and sometimes and later sky-blue/azure.
So everyone who said green or blue are right actualy :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:55 am

B wrote:I'd also like to point out Trunks's hair is almost white in the anime, while in the manga, it's a dark purple.
The dark purple hair for "Present"/Chibi Trunks applies on Dragon Ball GT as well.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:28 am

I always thought Bulma and Trunks' hair was purple. I haven't ever seen either of them with green hair.

Dr. Brief's hair is purple or whatever and Bulma's mother's hair is blonde.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:38 am

His hair is obviously a lavender/light purple type colour.

In the TV series her hair is green.

But in DB Movie 4 and the manga her hair is purple.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:08 pm

I always thought Trunks' hair looked somewhat similar to Dr. Briefs' hair.

yummypixels
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yummypixels » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:07 pm

ShiningMoon wrote:If you wanted to approach it in some sort of explanation-within-the-DB-world way: I guess if you wanted to keep Bulma and Bra with, shall we call it, cyan, hair, to match with the anime presentation, you could say that the gene for pink hair also runs in the family (Bulma's father has it -> isn't expressed in Bulma -> is expressed in Trunks), so either is a possibility. (I mean, since people can actually have these weird colors of hair in this world, who's to say what colors are dominant/recessive? XD) That's how I always imagined it, at least. Trunks got his hair color from his grandfather, and Bra got hers from her mother. I guess I always thought that was the generally accepted fact. (Well, I knew about the Bulma having purple hair at first thing, but to at least explain their choices with later characters.)
This is exactly how I always explained it to myself, thinking about dominant/recessive genes and family lineage. xD I'm glad I wasn't the only one!
LiveJournal <-- DB News & Updates
YouTube <-- My Figure Reviews & AMVs

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:45 am

Just throwing these out there.

(1) @SilverPlaqueVII: We've discussed this before, but if you're going to be making threads in the "DragonBall Questions?" section, then they actually need to be questions. OK?

(2) Dr. Brief, anyone? I'm not forcing anyone, just putting it out there that his name is singular.

(3) Colors of lots of things changed throughout the anime, and even from episode to episode. That's what happens when different studios using different color pallets color the animation cels. And depending on the art director, the color pallet could change. Yay, traditional animation wins again!
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:13 am

Hujio wrote:Just throwing these out there.

(1) @SilverPlaqueVII: We've discussed this before, but if you're going to be making threads in the "DragonBall Questions?" section, then they actually need to be questions. OK?

(2) Dr. Brief, anyone? I'm not forcing anyone, just putting it out there that his name is singular.

(3) Colors of lots of things changed throughout the anime, and even from episode to episode. That's what happens when different studios using different color pallets color the animation cels. And depending on the art director, the color pallet could change. Yay, traditional animation wins again!
Well, I did post multiple pictures of the guy.
Also, I have SilverPlaqueVII at MSN and even there he suddenly blurts our random DBZ facts XD

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:58 am

Bura wrote:Well, I did post multiple pictures of the guy.
Yeah, but there's a big difference between saying Dr. Briefs' and Dr. Brief's. When you say Dr. Briefs', you're saying his name is Dr. Briefs. When you say Dr. Brief's, you're saying his name is Dr. Brief. So, when you said "I always thought Trunks' hair looked somewhat similar to Dr. Briefs' hair," you're saying his name is Dr. Briefs. Where you put the apostrophe makes a difference. Everything before the apostrophe is what you're pluralizing. And general practices hold that if whatever you're pluralizing ends with the letter "s", then you simply add an apostrophe to the end of the word and not add " 's ". So, taking your name for example, I would pluralize it as Bura's, and not Buras'. Because then I'm saying your name is Buras, which it clearly isn't.
Bura wrote:Also, I have SilverPlaqueVII at MSN and even there he suddenly blurts our random DBZ facts XD
That's fine and all, but this section is for questions, not blurting out general discussion facts... I believe there is already a section for that. :P
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:35 am

Hujio wrote:
Bura wrote:Well, I did post multiple pictures of the guy.
Yeah, but there's a big difference between saying Dr. Briefs' and Dr. Brief's. When you say Dr. Briefs', you're saying his name is Dr. Briefs. When you say Dr. Brief's, you're saying his name is Dr. Brief. So, when you said "I always thought Trunks' hair looked somewhat similar to Dr. Briefs' hair," you're saying his name is Dr. Briefs. Where you put the apostrophe makes a difference. Everything before the apostrophe is what you're pluralizing. And general practices hold that if whatever you're pluralizing ends with the letter "s", then you simply add an apostrophe to the end of the word and not add " 's ". So, taking your name for example, I would pluralize it as Bura's, and not Buras'. Because then I'm saying your name is Buras, which it clearly isn't.
Erm, I was talking about point 3 you posted...

"(3) Colors of lots of things changed throughout the anime, and even from episode to episode. That's what happens when different studios using different color pallets color the animation cels. And depending on the art director, the color pallet could change. Yay, traditional animation wins again!"

Also, I'm not THAT terrible in English. I typed it as in "Dr. Briefs", not as "Dr Brief". Of course I would use "Bura's".
English might not be my native language but I at least know that much.
Sorry, your comment ticked me off a bit...