GT Naysayers

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

GT Naysayers

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:16 am

I recently received this mail. I selected this for no particular reason. I receive these mails constantly, I've just had it. I need to know if I am alone in knowing the real story of GT.

And my friend has a book which states that he never cared for GT. Now If you thought i said Akira HATED GT thats not true,I am sorry about that. He wasnt fond of it at all, he even joked about the series and knew it was going to do poorly in the market but still complimented the series because he may have offended Toei even though he didnt like it. Ok you probably know WHY Akira allowed Toei to make such a story line beacuse Akira doesnt care about DB, he likes it but he says that it is not something I am proud off statisfiction. And so he knew the true ending he when Goku leaves to train Uub. He let Toei make an alternative Spin-off seires and let them do what they wanted because in his work and true story GT never happend. He was quit angry with Toei and indeed asked to superwise but after a few episodes he left the supervision postion because he knew the story line was poor and he was angry at Toei to for this, and that they also targeted more younger audiences when DB was only for young adults from 13+, plus he wanted to enjoy freedom since making Z was a pain in the neck for him to make. And Vegeta's mustache part was also done out of Fan anger. All the Vegeta lovers were super ticked when they first saw Vegeta as some corny old punk. They quickly switched to awoid the low Tv ratings and they are only 64 episodes because Akira left the supervision position and they had nothing better to do..they all new the story was made for money not for it real purpose, The last episode of GT as you know is also conseidered to be the best because it was the ending and fans were thankfull it was all over. That is the only reason. It wasnt ofcourse the best episode in the whole DB.
Now, lets play a game. It's called, "How much fanboy rumor bs is this filled with and/or based on?" I will provide my thoughts on this, but for the time being, talk amongst yourselves.

Oh, the purpose of this, while remarkably cynical, is not a flame. I really would like to know how much of this is accepted as Bible black today.

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:25 am

I always thought the mustache was funny. One of the better parts of GT. Some people take things way too seriously.

Though most fans seem to hate the show, it doesn't mean Toriyama did. It had beautiful animation in it at some parts. He probably doesn't remember now if he liked the show or not. It's been what? A whole six years or so? There's no way he remembers.

The guy is talking like this is 1996, if that makes any sense.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:37 am

I don't know where he gets the idea that Toriyama was there to supervise on the first couple of episodes and then left in huff, because he new it was bad. :? I think I actually I remember reading that he was never offended with what TOEI did with GT, and thought they didn't do too bad a job, considering. I think we the fans are the ones who are offended and critical about GT, not him. :) I did read once and I've never been able to confirm if this is rumour or not that when fans we're complaining about how boring the series was at the beginning, Toriyama made a joke that if things didn't pick up, he would have to create a new more exciting DB series himself. Apparently, some fans took him seriously and we're pretty upset when no new manga ever came. And I don't think Toriyama feels unsatisfied with DB, he's just over and done with that chapter of his life. I personally think if the man was bitter and unsatisfied with it, then he wouldn't have taken the time to redo new covers for the 20th anniversary kanzeban and come over to America for the launch of American Shonen Jump and talk to his North American fans. He always seems really honoured and appreciative of his fans. Don't tell me that's a man that is bitter. My opinion of Akira Toriyama is that I think he's just a really humble, laid-back guy, who loves drawing, especially machines, and wants to always continue improving his skill. Unfortunately, when I do read posts on other boards or websites, especially from young people, these stupid kinds of theories still seem to be around. :?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:21 am

I would personally rather Toriyama-sama worked on another completely original manga like the next Sandland, Cowa, or Kajika and not go back to DBZ... it's obvious he doesn't hate it, but the guy is done with it.

Pure bullshit. It all happened in so much a lighter a tone... he only dropped the mustache because his daughter didn't like it. He was never pissed off at what they did to his work, though (all mangaka's minds word like that except for a short few *coughnaokotakuchicough*).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:23 am

If he hated GT to shit, why would he do character designs and planet sketches and give a few ideas towards how the first saga (at least) would flow? :? Toriyama always said over and over that he liked a lot how TOEI dealt with filler, so wouldn't GT impress him even moreso since they had to do a whole series on their own?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:34 am

Dayspring wrote:If he hated GT to shit, why would he do character designs and planet sketches and give a few ideas towards how the first saga (at least) would flow? :? Toriyama always said over and over that he liked a lot how TOEI dealt with filler, so wouldn't GT impress him even moreso since they had to do a whole series on their own?
Exactly what I was thinking too. Remember months ago in another post I mentioned that his favourite anime episode was the Bardock Special. That was completely original, from TOEI. And didn't Toriyama also mention in one of his interviews in the Daizenshuu or the Shenlong Times, I can't remember now(hmmm, maybe omae has it up on his site), that he enjoyed watching the anime episodes with his son and seeing how the production team dealt with adding filler and plot decisions when they were ahead of if his manga?
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:39 am

Yup to all. In Daizenshuu 7 there was a mini-manga that explained his thoughts on how he might end the manga (a geezer Goku w/Kamesenin mustache+stick). Later in it, he explains why filler had to be added at all (because 1 chapter = at most 10 mins but each episode = around 30). In those last panels he said he was V impressed and actually enjoyed them a lot.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:03 am

I can sleep with peace at night.....

I'll dissect that tomorrow or first chance I get!

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:13 pm

thats a load of bull - Torriyama's on record as saying he likes DBGT

I sure don't but thats a load of bull on why GTs bad, theres good reasons to dislike GT, the ones mentioned above in the first post aren't it.
-Laserkid

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:24 pm

*sweatdrop* *meekly* Am I the only one who actuallt likes GT...?

.. I suddenly feel lonely.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:52 pm

I like it. If I want to watch it and finish it, that's liking it enough for me. I just have a lot of fun exploiting it's plot-holes... I'm sure it's the same for at least some other people...

If I was Toriyama, I would probably like the Bardock special too. Not only because it was good, but it would be a rare time where it was very fun to watch, and he had no idea what would happen next!

Dayspring: Isn't an episode more like 20 minutes or less when you remove the recap, preview, and OPs / EDs? Whatever, your point still applies.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:57 pm

I don't "hate" GT, like Zacko, I also just have fun picking out it's plotholes. I have watched it through and there are definitely some touching moments to it, but I just don't really care for it. Mostly it just always feels like there is something missing from it, I guess it's that Akira Toriyama "touch". Plus a lot of it as I said before is re-hash of DB and DBZ, so even watching it through for the first time, I found points of it tedious. If you like though, that's okay by me, I'm not going to hurt you or anything........unless you cross me! :twisted: :wink:

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:33 pm

Define crossing you.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:37 pm

Hmmmmmm, let's see. Taking the last Creamsicle in the box or making eye contact with me on the street. You know, the usual. :P

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:42 pm

I guess I'm lucky I live in South Carolina, huh? Though I have been in your town before... *goes travelling every now and then*

And what about if I put a dog collar on Zagato (whose icon I've fallen in love with)?

Hm.. I should make an edit to my intro. *goes to do so*

EDIT: Okay, added to my introduction. Go look please.
Last edited by B-kun on Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:50 pm

Really you know what city I live in? I think I have said it once or twice before on the boards. Either that or you've been spying on me! :x I driven through South Carolina. That state is huge! Along with North Carolina, that was a looong drive! And if by Zagato you mean Zacko, I don't care it's not my decision, but I'd like to see you try, he's pretty scary! :D

EDIT:I just looked at the change in your intro. I don't know why you feel weird posting that. I think since everyone here is into anime and manga, that shows we're pretty tolerant. I don't think we would come here otherwise. :wink:

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:10 pm

*finds his dog collar* It's sad I've almost perfected this art. And you'll be surprised how bored a 17/18 year old can be. I'm currently trying to find the topics where several people kept screaming at each other and someone said s/he wasn't sure if it was fun or painful.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:24 pm

Ooooh, you sound dangerous! Wanna join our hunting group? I'll let you train under Zacko.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:27 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Ooooh, you sound dangerous! Wanna join our hunting group? I'll let you train under Zacko.

I can be dangerous when provoked, yes. <_< *nearly perfected his throwing aim last year, when dealing with idiots in school* Hm.. Sure. Why not?
Last edited by B-kun on Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:30 pm

Goody! Zacko another new pupil! Assign him a weapon!

Now, back on topic! As I was saying, the ending episode to GT is at least very sweet and a nice closing to the series. Although, it's sad having Goku die. :(