Scenes from Dragonball series being re-drawn for HDTV

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Scenes from Dragonball series being re-drawn for HDTV

Post by Wasted Wisher » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:54 am

Hey, people.
Not sure if you've heard of this already....but I wouldn't be surprised if you did. Dai-EX seems to have pretty sharp sources...

Anyway, on to the topic at hand....it seems that TOEI is going to be re-drawing some scenes from Dragonball for broadcast on high-def tv. The touch-ups will include some re-done background art (most likely to broaden certain scenes for widescreen) as well as re-doing action sequences where the special effects don't hold up anymore. I'm not yet sure if the scenes being re-drawn are from Dragonball, or from DBZ. Hopefully both!

No indication as to whether or not TOEI will take the opportunity to correct some art bloopers this time around, but as far as I know content will remain pretty much the same. Nothing more, nothing less (meaning no new filler scenes, but no filler scenes taken out either.)

Hmmm...I wonder if they'll try to add the extended scenes from the ending of DBZ that was tacked on to the comic some time ago?
Last edited by Wasted Wisher on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:56 am

Whoa, that sounds like something someone predicted a while ago... It sounds pretty useless but it's their show I guess, they can improve it anyway they want, though the Dragon Box footage is good enough for me.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:57 am

Wow, really? I never heard of this. Would be very cool to see!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:32 am

What's your source for this?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:56 am

OMG? Is this the part where the hardcore fan goes crazy of happiness? YES, IT IS.

Hope it's true.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:04 pm

Re-drawing for broadcast? Are they going to broadcast the series again? It would make sense - there's a whole new generation of anime fans that may have missed it. Maybe good ratings could set the wheels in motion for a new series?

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:13 pm

OH MY GOD, IT'S LIKE A DREAM COME TRUE.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:18 pm

You know some executive at Funimation just creamed himself. "Yes! We get to sell them the same series for a THIRD TIME! $$$$$!"

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Herms wrote:What's your source for this?
Right from the horse's mouth (TOEI itself).

Some of the other people on this board already know this, but...I work for the Philppine studio of TOEI.

After my...contribution...last time, I feel kind of safer saying it openly now. Guess my bosses aren't monitoring every site as closely as I thought.

Still gotta be a little cautious, though...can't afford to lose my job just yet...

Dan no saisei

Post by Dan no saisei » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:42 pm

It would be cool, but i thinks thats just a rumor...
You cant just redraw a few scenes and mix it with the old animation..
That wont work, the good old cel animation just feels different, if you know what i mean

its like comparing pictures taken with a normal camara and pictures from a digicam.
And lets not start talking about the differend art stils between 2 episodes, it just imposible to re-creat the with the PC

At the End it will feel like watching that remastered "the Magic begins" Movie with the pretty 3D animation....

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:43 pm

Ugh, I say. I went through this crap with Star Wars and now they're gonna screw me over with Dragon Ball too.

The original is fine enough, thanks. A great majority of the charm for me in Dragon Ball is the animation and backgrounds, it's just not an old-school martial arts anime without that.

Meh.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Ugh, I say. I went through this crap with Star Wars and now they're gonna screw me over with Dragon Ball too.

The original is fine enough, thanks. A great majority of the charm for me in Dragon Ball is the animation and backgrounds, it's just not an old-school martial arts anime without that.

Meh.
I just hope they add more annoying CGI aliens in the background.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:44 pm

This is brilliant news! Hope a new series comes from this. :D
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:53 pm

New Garlic Junior arc here we come!!

*Killed and shot. Wonders if Kaboom will find the Dragonballs to wish him back*
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:08 pm

Dan no saisei wrote:It would be cool, but i thinks thats just a rumor...
You cant just redraw a few scenes and mix it with the old animation..
That wont work, the good old cel animation just feels different, if you know what i mean

its like comparing pictures taken with a normal camara and pictures from a digicam.
And lets not start talking about the differend art stils between 2 episodes, it just imposible to re-creat the with the PC

At the End it will feel like watching that remastered "the Magic begins" Movie with the pretty 3D animation....
Nope, it's not just a rumor. As to how good the end result is...hell, that's outta my hands. Guess we'll just have to see.

Just remember, some of my info may be a little off...for all I know, this isn't for HDTV, but for video...I definitely know it's supposed to be Hi-def format though, that much is for sure.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:10 pm

One step closer to my predicted Remake series!
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:15 pm

That would be amazing, since there were some drawing errors and all BUT they do have that funimation channel or whatever now, they could play it on that. What I would adooooooore to see, is they start with DB episode 1.......or 14 and go straight through to the end of GT.

That would attract thousands [dare i say .... miiiiillions?] of fans to watch again and tons of new fans as well.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:25 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:What I would adooooooore to see, is they start with DB episode 1.......or 14 and go straight through to the end of GT.
I like GT, I really do. But reanimating it isn't going to solve all of its' problems. The story was rushed and suffered dearly for it, the suffering being sagging ratings that forced them to end the series quicker then they wanted to.

Also, I would suspect worldwide a real HD DragonBall, or a remake series, probably would attract millions.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Is there a source for this or anything?

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:34 pm

xzero wrote:You know some executive at Funimation just creamed himself. "Yes! We get to sell them the same series for a THIRD TIME! $$$$$!"
They'll probably just repackage their "remastered" release and put it on BluRay. I really can't picture them shelling out the principal capital for what sounds like minor cosmetic changes when they have a cheaper out.

Having said that, the world will now find a way to prove me wrong.
Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:Is there a source for this or anything?
Not officially, but this is the guy who provided character design sheets for the new special just months ago. I think he's earned some street cred.