This week on the show, our podcast wraps up a two-part look at the various Dragon Ball prototypes over the years. We pick up here in late 1983 with the self-contained one-shot The Adventure of Tongpoo, and we make our way into 1984 with a series of drafts that will ultimately become Dragon Ball itself!
Episode #0441! Mike and Julian discuss “The Adventure of Tongpoo”, a one-shot Akira Toriyama drew in 1983 which served as one step along the way to creating “Dragon Ball” itself. What feels different here from “Dragon Boy” earlier that same year? We wrap things up with a look at a series of drafts taking us from a straight “Journey to the West” adaptation up to the characters and story we know and love as “Dragon Ball”-proper!
- MANGA GUIDE: Dragon Ball Prototypes
- TRANSLATIONS: “The Making of Dragon Ball” (Bird Land Press 15)
- DATABOOK GUIDE: “Dragon Ball: Adventure Special”
- TRANSLATION: “This is How I Became a Cartoonist”
- PODCAST: Episode #0249 (“Journey to the West” primer/examples)
- PODCAST: “LongThoughts with Baloo” Guest Appearance (“Journey to the West” poetry)
- “Akira Toriyama’s ____piece Theater, Vol. 2” @ CDJapan
- “Akira Toriyama’s ____piece Theater, Vol. 2” @ Amazon Japan
- “An Emperor’s Feast of Akira Toriyama, Vol. 2” @ Amazon Japan
Our podcast available via iTunes and/or Google Play Music, or you can pop the direct RSS feed into the program of your choice. You can also listen to this episode by directly downloading the MP3 or by streaming it on YouTube. We invite you to discuss this episode on our forum.