Search found 2275 matches

by MasenkoHA
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:03 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Hindsight makes Frieza look like a hero for destroying the Saiyans
Replies: 54
Views: 1084

Re: Hindsight makes Frieza look like a hero for destroying the Saiyans

It could be an interesting side story idea, honestly -- Freeza is praised as a hero by a planet for vanquishing the evil Saiyans. Kind of like history being written by the winner. Goku and Vegeta being vilified by them. Then of course, by the end, everything will come to light. I’d imagine it would...
by MasenkoHA
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:17 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Who is a Mary Sue in Drago Ball.
Replies: 199
Views: 3956

Re: Who is a Mary Sue in Drago Ball.

SSJgogeto wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:15 pm
While I think this conflict doesn't invalidate what I said before, I have no problem about Bardock having this ability. My point is: just because is a special about Bardock they don't need to give everything to him.
They don’t...
by MasenkoHA
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:52 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/skip?
Replies: 69
Views: 1710

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

From what I recall there were one or two of SMT's scripts that were really good, but generally yes, he veered off track, wildly sometimes. I'm not sure what you mean by crediting whoever was on staff. The name of the writer(s) was on the season sets. And from my recollection, one of the mirrored sh...
by MasenkoHA
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:47 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Who is a Mary Sue in Drago Ball.
Replies: 199
Views: 3956

Re: Who is a Mary Sue in Drago Ball.

Your argument is: He's the only one who gets is so it's an example of him being special. It's a terrible argument because he's the only one who gets it because the special is about him. The conflict is Bardock gets psychic visions of planet Vegeta's end (and also conveniently events in the future of...
by MasenkoHA
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:29 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Who is a Mary Sue in Drago Ball.
Replies: 199
Views: 3956

Re: Who is a Mary Sue in Drago Ball.

- That's a stupid argument, because Bardock still got the ability in a way that literally anyone could get it, not a way that makes him special. - Its a legit point about Goku - So you can't prove it wrong? - The DBS Broly film never even hints at King Vegeta turning against Freeza, but in the Z ve...
by MasenkoHA
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:30 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Who is a Mary Sue in Drago Ball.
Replies: 199
Views: 3956

Re: Who is a Mary Sue in Drago Ball.

What good did the 10, 000 battle power do Bardock? He was no threat to Freeza at all and was still vastly weaker than Zarbon and Dodoria. Nothing about that Battle Power, from what I recall, was framed as special by the narrative. It just felt like Toei throwing a random number that sounded good at ...
by MasenkoHA
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:09 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Gundam US Release Similar to DB US Release
Replies: 1
Views: 159

Re: Gundam US Release Similar to DB US Release

The kids anime that always seemed to most mirror Dragon Ball in the US to me was Sailor Moon. Licensed by a US based company but ADR work outsourced to Canada? Check (though obviously Dragon Ball Z moved production locally after season 2) Originally first run syndication before becoming exclusively ...
by MasenkoHA
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:25 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/skip?
Replies: 69
Views: 1710

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

If DB is a show you watch multiples times, then it's an interesting way to experience the series once. That's fair. Personally, it seems like kind of a weird half-measure between watching both the Japanese and dub versions. But I suppose it's quite time efficient if you're looking to determine how ...
by MasenkoHA
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:31 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Hindsight makes Frieza look like a hero for destroying the Saiyans
Replies: 54
Views: 1084

Re: Hindsight makes Frieza look like a hero for destroying the Saiyans

DHM211 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:54 pm
I thought it was pretty obvious Frieza is the hero of the DB universe. If not for Frieza, Kakarot would have never been sent to Earth, hit his head and became Goku, who has saved the universe numerous times.
Pre-Minus Goku’s coming to earth was unrelated to Freeza blowing up planet Vegeta.
by MasenkoHA
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:48 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/skip?
Replies: 69
Views: 1710

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

assessment here; if a streaming option is cheaper, it does seem weird to pay the premium for physical copies for the dub with JPN subs experience... And TBH I always found that viewing option kinda weird anyway? :lol: Especially for a show like Dragon Ball with its... Interesting history of accurac...
by MasenkoHA
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:18 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Who is a Mary Sue in Drago Ball.
Replies: 199
Views: 3956

Re: Who is a Mary Sue in Drago Ball.

You see, I think you're right, but only when your opinion is based in this unique reason. But IMO Bardock is a Gary Stu because of several reasons, not only that one. Then can you give a good reason? Being Goku's dad doesn't make him a Gary Stu. Getting psychic visions that end up doing him no good...
by MasenkoHA
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:03 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Hindsight makes Frieza look like a hero for destroying the Saiyans
Replies: 54
Views: 1084

Re: Hindsight makes Frieza look like a hero for destroying the Saiyans

Of all the bad takes this is pretty bad. Wiping out an entire race just because you don't want any of them staging a coup and overthrowing you so you can reign supreme as emperor of the universe does not make you a hero. Even in hindsight. Freeza was no better than the Saiyans. It's made pretty clea...
by MasenkoHA
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:51 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/skip?
Replies: 69
Views: 1710

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

if you want it as close as possible to as a kid viewing... The db saga sets dvds, and the z and gt dvd singles. I should point out as much as many of us like to pretend otherwise (including myself I am incredibly guilty of this) at the end of the day the "Remastered" dub isn't THAT different from w...
by MasenkoHA
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:28 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/skip?
Replies: 69
Views: 1710

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

Matches Malone wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:21 pm

Dragon Ball:
1-28
The first 2-3 minutes of episode 29
58-78
84-126
133-148
There’s absolutely no good or justifiable reason to skip most of the Red Ribbon arc.
by MasenkoHA
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:27 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/skip?
Replies: 69
Views: 1710

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

... Or watch Kai, and thus don't watch an artistically butchered, bastardised version of the show. My point wasn't "I don't want to give Funi money for this shit", my point is "You shouldn't watch this shit." Kai IS an artistically butchered, bastardized version of the show though. I probably would...
by MasenkoHA
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:43 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/skip?
Replies: 69
Views: 1710

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

... Or watch Kai, and thus don't watch an artistically butchered, bastardised version of the show. My point wasn't "I don't want to give Funi money for this shit", my point is "You shouldn't watch this shit." Kai IS an artistically butchered, bastardized version of the show though. I probably would...
by MasenkoHA
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:14 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/skip?
Replies: 69
Views: 1710

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

I have watched the dub of Kai with subtitles and the dialog is damn close, You can't have been paying attention, then. What about when Bulma, in the subtitles, says "You haven't brought me to this godforsaken place in order to do something pervy with me, right?", then Popo begins hopping up the cli...
by MasenkoHA
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:48 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/skip?
Replies: 69
Views: 1710

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

Everyone here has it right. Since you prefer the English dub, the order for you should be: Dragon Ball Blue Bricks > Kai Blu-Rays > The Final Chapters Blu-Rays > GT Green Bricks IDK wouldn't Super be a better follow up for Kai? Especially dub wise? IIRC GT plays up Goku as Japanese Superman a lot w...
by MasenkoHA
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:47 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/skip?
Replies: 69
Views: 1710

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

TheBigBoy wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:12 pm
Hulu has both original Dragon Ball and GT subbed if you don't mind a few commercials.
Unfortunately Dragon Ball at least (and I assume GT) are set expire in a couple of weeks.
by MasenkoHA
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:42 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/skip?
Replies: 69
Views: 1710

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

ABED wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:33 pm
For whatever reason Kai isn't on streaming.
I wonder if it has anything to do with Adult Swim having it available to stream? (provided you have cable)