Search found 2172 matches

by Olivier Hague
Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:24 pm
Forum: In-Universe Discussion
Topic: That one interview
Replies: 24
Views: 2751

Re: That one interview

...So the author of that website claims to have worked for Toriyama, huh? ...Right... But... But he said he worked as an artist for the Kanzenban from 1995 to 1998! That sounds legitimate, right? Right?? The fake "Japanese" comments at the bottom of this one are pretty funny, too... Art is, my mist...
by Olivier Hague
Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:25 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: BleedingCool News claims Toriyama is writing new Dragon Ball
Replies: 234
Views: 14999

Re: BleedingCool News claims Toriyama is writing new Dragon Ball

Mewzard wrote:Tetsuo Hara came back to Hokuto no Ken with Souten no Ken, Yudetamago came back with Kinnikuman II
And not just them either.
it's not entirely unheard of.
Definitely not.
by Olivier Hague
Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:58 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

You don't collect them. You buy them, read them and throw them away. Indeed. And just how "popular" is a series that people read (or not!) in Weekly Jump before throwing the magazine away and without buying the volumes? With the tankoubon, don't expect everyone that buys them will keep them all for...
by Olivier Hague
Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:58 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

Like what? Can you think of a recent change significant enough to explain away the gap between Dragon Ball and One Piece manga sales? Well, first of all, those factors that you already mentioned. I really didn't mention that many, as I simply can't think of many. Second, even though we have the Int...
by Olivier Hague
Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:00 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

When they have the same availability, price, format, etc, yeah, definitely. I really don't know what's so hard to understand about that. And yet... You even admitted on one of your previous posts that times change and, with it, a lot of other factors do as well. Like what? Can you think of a recent...
by Olivier Hague
Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:30 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

Actually, at the time of Dragon Ball, the magazine sold more than six million weekly copies; that's twice the number of copies each Dragon Ball or One Piece tankoubon sold. Where did you get that number? A One Piece volume has a first printing of around two to three million copies. And you can bet ...
by Olivier Hague
Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:19 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

those are different from some random series that comes and goes after a few months. Berserk has been around for far longer than One Piece . Surely, you can tell which one is more popular, right? you keep coming here to bump this thread time and time again, and you even do it after saying you've had...
by Olivier Hague
Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:06 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

There isn't one most popular series in Japan (worldwide it's a different story). There are a few. There's Dragon Ball, One Piece, Pokémon, Gundam, Naruto, Doraemon, etc.. There's no objective way of telling which is THE most popular, because you can't quantify popularity. So that list you just comp...
by Olivier Hague
Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:27 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Aren't you in your thirties, Olivier? :P
Haven't we established that numbers don't mean anything? :þ
by Olivier Hague
Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:38 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

Perfect wrote:1.) 2.) 3.) 4.) 5.) [...]
You know what? Fuck that. I'm done.
by Olivier Hague
Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:09 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

1.) Yes, yes you are. I know what words mean, thanks. You're needlessly arguing about my statement that stands true about the prior arguement being trivial. For the nth time, no , that's just you failing at comprehension. You said "I'm not sure why this argument is taking place" and I replied "I be...
by Olivier Hague
Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:16 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

1.) You're doing something many fans should stop doing all together, "over analyzing" a situation. Talking about why an argument keeps surfacing over and over again is "over-analyzing", now? Nah, I think I'm fine, thanks. It's a pointless argument that should have never taken place, there's nothing...
by Olivier Hague
Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:07 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

1.It's quote obvious the argument doesn't need to take place, it's a waste of time. That's "what", kiddo. I was simply saying that this argument (be it pointless or not, that's not what I was talking about) was obviously caused by fanboys in denial. Less condescension, more attention? 2.Again it wa...
by Olivier Hague
Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:39 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

1.It was pretty obvious I was implying that the argument itself is completely pointless. Indeed, it was. So what? 2.That was rhetorical, anyone can see that. And I disagree with your answer to that question, hence my reply. 3.I never quoted you, I was referring to Rereboy, please pay attention. If ...
by Olivier Hague
Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:30 pm
Forum: In-Universe Discussion
Topic: Is anyone's favourite manga not Dragon Ball?
Replies: 45
Views: 2071

Re: Is anyone's favourite manga not Dragon Ball?

I'm not sure what I'd call "my favorite manga", but it definitely isn't Dragon Ball... Not even close.
by Olivier Hague
Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:51 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

Toriyama-sama wrote:
Choice195 wrote:It's been 15 years, No anime has yet topped Dragonball. Legends live forever, Long live Dragonball Z!
See?
Yeah, I see a guy saying "anime" regardless of the context (Bakuman, remember?).
WSJ does matter
Why so dense?
by Olivier Hague
Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:37 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

Well, if the sales drop as much as they did when Dragon Ball ended, they'll drop below zero. Could you at least pretend you're paying attention? Again , despite what you've been implying, it's not like the sales dropped that much right after Dragon Ball ended. And it's not like One Piece is the onl...
by Olivier Hague
Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:29 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

And Yu Yu Hakusho was the last of the big three during Jump's 90s heyday together with DB and Slam Dunk, and that ended a little ways before DB did. And not just that: there was a whole bunch of successful Weekly Jump series, in the mid 80's / early 90s... It was pretty insane. But when Dragon Ball...
by Olivier Hague
Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:59 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

Not to mention the fact that there are more than one manga in the magazine, which makes it impossible to atribute to merit in sales to just one of them. Even Dragon Ball had the help of Slam Dunk (the 4th best selling manga of all time) to push up the sales of the magazine. Yep. The guy makes it so...
by Olivier Hague
Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:47 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

Oh, did you know that after Dragon Ball ended WSJ sales dropped to half? From more than 6 million weekly copies to around 3 million? And I can't wait for you to tell us how much the sales dropped after One Piece ended. Oh, wait: you can't! So you're just stating the obvious (most popular series at ...