Search found 2172 matches

by Olivier Hague
Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:34 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

One Piece sold a hundred million copies of manga volumes faster. That is true. But so what? So it's more popular than Dragon Ball was back then. And considering it also sold more overall at this point, it simply is more popular than Dragon Ball , whether you like it or not. Dragon Ball was the majo...
by Olivier Hague
Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:24 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

It's not an argument that counters what I said. I never said One Piece hasn't sold more manga volumes than Dragon Ball (I actually said it did, which is a fact). And you then proceeded to come up with a bunch of excuses as to how that doesn't really mean anything, because re-releases, Weekly Jump, ...
by Olivier Hague
Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:16 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

Yes, I did. Learn to read.

And then, you can start by explaining how this:
One Piece was the fastest manga series ever to sell one hundred million copies: it got there in seven years and 35 volumes.
... doesn't really mean anything.
Damn numbers, they're useless!
by Olivier Hague
Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:11 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

Toriyama-sama wrote:And then there are those who just can't seem to understand that it is impossible to make an objective jugdement regarding popularity with numbers like those.
Just because you say so doesn't make it true, man.
Plus if you're going to counter an argument, please provide one.
I did already.
by Olivier Hague
Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:56 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Bakuman sets the record straight
Replies: 112
Views: 5594

Re: Bakuman sets the record straight

- Even though One Piece has sold more copies of manga volumes, it also has more volumes (and by the way, each of them has less chapters) (what an odd argument... what about the number of pages per volume?) than Dragon Ball. It's only natural to sell more No, it's not "only natural". To sell more co...
by Olivier Hague
Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:01 pm
Forum: In-Universe Discussion
Topic: "Mysterious" power levels scan??!
Replies: 23
Views: 2612

Re: "Mysterious" power levels scan??!

Hujio wrote:It says "tai Saiya-jin"
Oh, right.
by Olivier Hague
Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:10 pm
Forum: In-Universe Discussion
Topic: "Mysterious" power levels scan??!
Replies: 23
Views: 2612

Re: "Mysterious" power levels scan??!

I also spy a "コールド大王" instead of "コルド大王".
Also, no furigana? Really?
And what's that, right under Yajirobê's name? "Super Saiyan"?
by Olivier Hague
Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:10 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Dragon Ball Wiki debate...
Replies: 28
Views: 1951

Re: Dragon Ball Wiki debate...

Toriyama-sama wrote:And don't you think people from these boards match those criteria?
Well, at least some of them, yeah. But are they Wikipedia editors? Are they willing to put up with "the rest"?
by Olivier Hague
Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:18 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Dragon Ball Wiki debate...
Replies: 28
Views: 1951

Re: Dragon Ball Wiki debate...

Toriyama-sama wrote:Well, and did you read the last sentence?
Yup. When I said "editors", above, I was including moderators.
by Olivier Hague
Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:58 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: Dragon Ball Wiki debate...
Replies: 28
Views: 1951

Re: Dragon Ball Wiki debate...

Wikipedia needs to crawl into a hole and die. There are PLENTY of sites that are far more informational and factual than some site anyone can go into and screw with at any time. That's simply not true. All it needs is to make sure that people who edit stuff actually know what they're doing. And con...
by Olivier Hague
Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:47 pm
Forum: In-Universe Discussion
Topic: Mistakes in the manga, anime, Daizenshuu?
Replies: 45
Views: 3091

Re: Mistakes in the manga, anime, Daizenshuu?

At the very least, the fact that Daizenshuu 4 says that Tenshinhan is of alien descent could be considered debatable. There's nothing to really hint at it other than his third eye. And there's absolutely nothing hinting at Kaiôshin being born from golden fruits, in the series. Sometimes, guides pro...
by Olivier Hague
Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:34 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: GokoU
Replies: 97
Views: 5120

Re: GokoU

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
If that was the intent, yes, it's an anglicisation.
It was
If you're talking about you deciding to spell the name like that, I guess you would know what your intent was, sure. ^^
If you're talking about Tôei deciding to spell the name like that, it's another matter...
by Olivier Hague
Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:30 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: GokoU
Replies: 97
Views: 5120

Re: GokoU

Just because a word is relatively easy to understand or pronounce for an English speaker, that doesn't necessarily mean it's an anglicisation. But that's what an anglicization is, making a foreign word easier to pronounce and understand for a native English speaker. I'm not saying otherwise. Read a...
by Olivier Hague
Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:01 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: GokoU
Replies: 97
Views: 5120

Re: GokoU

Okay, so I misunderstood the words "transliteration" and "romanization". Are there any words/terms that can be used to differentiate between a romanzation like Go kou and head-cha-la , and a romanization like Gokuu and hetchara ? I'm thinking Anglicization , which according to Wikipedia "is the act...
by Olivier Hague
Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:17 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: GokoU
Replies: 97
Views: 5120

Re: GokoU

Are there any words/terms that can be used to differentiate between a romanzation like Go kou and head-cha-la , and a romanization like Gokuu and hetchara ? If you want to be specific, the way I see it: For "Go kou " and "head-cha-la", I think it's safe to call them "non-standard romanizations". I ...
by Olivier Hague
Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:15 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: GokoU
Replies: 97
Views: 5120

Re: GokoU

I've said this to Piccolo Daimaoh a million times, but I'll say it again. Son Go kou is a transliteration . Goku , Gokuu , Gokuh , Gokū , and Gokû are all romanizations , but not transliterations. Transliterations are when you change the spelling, but keep the pronunciation relatively the same. Cha...
by Olivier Hague
Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:33 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: GokoU
Replies: 97
Views: 5120

Re: GokoU

I've really only run into one standard system between all Japanese-speaking people I know. I mean, it just makes sense to have ゴクウ spelled out as "Gokuu" when being literal because it's "go", "ku", and "u" and nothing else. You're apparently going for wāpuro rōmaji. It's a convenient (and relativel...
by Olivier Hague
Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:56 pm
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: GokoU
Replies: 97
Views: 5120

Re: GokoU

It really sort of does. If I were in Japanese class and I had Romanized 孫悟空 as "Son Gok ou ," I'd be told that I was doing it wrong. Because you'd better learn at least one romanization system, as a student of Japanese. Because it's more convenient to have all students in a Japanese class use the s...
by Olivier Hague
Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:27 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: GokoU
Replies: 97
Views: 5120

Re: GokoU?

the Japanese government has only authorized that romanization on passports for people names. It would be incorrect to use it anywhere else. Are you kidding me? I said they were incorrect because they do not conform to the standards of a particular romanization system. Even if they didn't, that woul...
by Olivier Hague
Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:46 am
Forum: General Franchise Discussion
Topic: GokoU
Replies: 97
Views: 5120

Re: GokoU?

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Again, Japanese romanization is systematic.
And again, no, not necessarily. Examples were given on the first page. Come on.
they're archaic and incorrect by today's standards.
Excuse me, but who are you to tell what's "correct" or "incorrect", here?