“I’m pretty cozy, here...”

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Re: “I’m pretty cozy, here...”

Post by Ssj3Engels » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:40 am

The comma is indeed possible in this case. It is perhaps an UNUSUAL construction, but not wrong. All it takes is to imagine someone saying this ("I'm pretty cozy, here..."), with some intonation that could explain the comma in that spot.

No one here so far has offered a good argument against this, despite claiming to be 'translators' or some such.

IOW, it's perfectly appropriate, yes. 'Commas' are ALWAYS dependent on the context.
Kamiccolo9 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:06 pmJust accept that you are wrong here, and we can all move on from this.
I think it's somebody else that needs to "accept" that they're wrong here...
Last edited by Ssj3Engels on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: “I’m pretty, cozy here...”

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:25 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:45 pm VegettoEX changed it and put the comma after "pretty"!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:37 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:25 pm
Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:45 pm VegettoEX changed it and put the comma after "pretty"!
Prettiness is the way of the 21st century.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:12 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:25 pm Image
To emphasize the beauty a person carries!
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:52 am

Ssj3Engels wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:18 am
Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:11 pm
Ssj3Engels wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:36 am So I guess my 'point' would be: in our case, can't the comma be there to show emphasis?
No.
I will still go with the link I provided, in which someone said: "I would only set a comma if the sentence were to convey: "Members of parliament can criticize other members, here." - but not elsewhere. (i.e. "Only this is the place to do this.")".

Since you can't/won't justify your "no"...

Just to be 100% clear, what I am saying here is that the example in the link provided is analogous to "I'm pretty cozy, here...", because in both cases the comma is being used (or can be used) for emphasis.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:32 pm

Hold on...

Was "OMG CRAZY REG" changed to "OMG CRAZY REGEN"?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:36 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:32 pm Hold on...

Was "OMG CRAZY REG" changed to "OMG CRAZY REGEN"?
Looks like it!

Hey Mike hook a girl up with a user title other than 'Namekian Warrior' please?!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:22 pm

One of the saddest things about this whole mess is that "Mike" has been teasing to remove the ranks for almost 5 years as of the writing of this post, but he has not moved his ass one inch!

Here:

viewtopic.php?p=1226505#p1226505

I think "he does not care" does not quite begin to cover it! :lol:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:34 pm

Ssj3Engels wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:22 pm One of the saddest things about this whole mess is that "Mike" has been teasing to remove the ranks for almost 5 years as of the writing of this post, but he has not moved his ass one inch!

Here:

Honestly, the fact that the member rankings are still around to this day when VegettoEX had stated he was going to discontinue them at the time i think suggests either he straight up forgot, or more likely did actually consider doing so then but ultimately decided against it. Or another possibility could also be they've been a part of the forum for so long that it would be pretty hard to do away with that. The ranks debuted when this forum originally launched back in 2004 when the site was still known as Daizenshuu EX, so i wouldn't be surprised if the latter reason is why they have stuck around even when there was talk of getting rid of them.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:42 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:34 pm
Ssj3Engels wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:22 pm One of the saddest things about this whole mess is that "Mike" has been teasing to remove the ranks for almost 5 years as of the writing of this post, but he has not moved his ass one inch!

Here:

Honestly, the fact that the member rankings are still around to this day when VegettoEX had stated he was going to discontinue them at the time i think suggests either he straight up forgot, or more likely did actually consider doing so then but ultimately decided against it. Or another possibility could also be they've been a part of the forum for so long that it would be pretty hard to do away with that. The ranks debuted when this forum originally launched back in 2004 when the site was still known as Daizenshuu EX, so i wouldn't be surprised if the latter reason is why they have stuck around even when there was talk of getting rid of them.
Well, I kind of agree with most of your points, but the problem is that he repeated that statement again on this thread (a 2021 thread, that is). AND still hasn't done anything.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:13 am

Ssj3Engels wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:42 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:34 pm

Here:

Well, I kind of agree with most of your points, but the problem is that he repeated that statement again on this thread (a 2021 thread, that is). AND still hasn't done anything.
True, though really i don't know if Mike/VegettoEX is actually still intending on following through on that or not at this point. There could be a number of reasons why not aside from what i mentioned above. Thus as of now unless something changes on his (and likely the other admins as well) end the rankings are still here for the foreseeable future.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:36 am

Grimlock wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:02 pm
Ssj3Engels wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:47 am Wrong. In Portuguese (my native language), the phrase translates as ''Eu estou bem aconchegado, aqui...''. That does not sound wrong at all. I doubt the comma usage differs that much between these two languages.
Wrong. The usage of commas in English and Portuguese is, for the most part, the same. And it's wrong in Portuguese too.

Putting a comma after "cozy/aconchegado" infer you are about to convey another message, as in: "I'm cozy, here I have everything I need", "estou aconchegado, aqui tenho tudo de que preciso".

Without the comma, you're saying you're cozy in the place you find yourself in, providing full context without the need of another sentence. Ending it with ", here" does require another sentence for total comprehension, otherwise it's wrong.
No, that's wrong. Commas also can be used for emphatic fucntions, irony, and this sometimes implies in subtleties. It's quite obvious that ''I'm pretty cozy here'' is a correct sentence with a clear meaning. The issue here is, what could someone want to mean with ''I'm pretty cozy, here...?

In fact, in this case, the ellipsis itself help to emphasize usage. It could be a case where there is a larger environment that you would expect someone to be comfortable in, but in reality, he meant to suggest that they were only actually comfortable at a specific point in that environment, without being too explicit. Such as, not wanting to tell the host that the house he visits is generally uncomfortable, but suggests that he is only comfortable in a specific location.

The only irrefutable thing you says is that, in fact, the usage of commas is mostly the same in Portuguese.

Maybe you're thinking about overly formal and common usage of the language. But there are the stylistic, poetic uses, which in no way necessarily violate the rules.

By the way, I challeng anyone to show me where there is a rule that explicitly forbids you to put a comma in unusual places if you like. At best, the phrase can be difficult to understand.

So, yeah. The sentence is not wrong in Portuguese either.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:52 am

Ssj3Engels wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:36 am
Ssj3Engels wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:47 am Wrong. In Portuguese (my native language), the phrase translates as ''Eu estou bem aconchegado, aqui...''. That does not sound wrong at all. I doubt the comma usage differs that much between these two languages.
Wrong. The usage of commas in English and Portuguese is, for the most part, the same. And it's wrong in Portuguese too.

Putting a comma after "cozy/aconchegado" infer you are about to convey another message, as in: "I'm cozy, here I have everything I need", "estou aconchegado, aqui tenho tudo de que preciso".

Without the comma, you're saying you're cozy in the place you find yourself in, providing full context without the need of another sentence. Ending it with ", here" does require another sentence for total comprehension, otherwise it's wrong.
No, that's wrong. Commas also can be used for emphatic fucntions, irony, and this sometimes implies in subtleties. It's quite obvious that ''I'm pretty cozy here'' is a correct sentence with a clear meaning. The issue here is, what could someone want to mean with ''I'm pretty cozy, here...?

In fact, in this case, the ellipsis itself help to emphasize usage. It could be a case where there is a larger environment that you would expect someone to be comfortable in, but in reality, he meant to suggest that they were only actually comfortable at a specific point in that environment, without being too explicit. Such as, not wanting to tell the host that the house he visits is generally uncomfortable, but suggests that he is only comfortable in a specific location.

The only irrefutable thing you says is that, in fact, the usage of commas is mostly the same in Portuguese.

Maybe you're thinking about overly formal and common usage of the language. But there are the stylistic, poetic uses, which in no way necessarily violate the rules.

By the way, I challeng anyone to show me where there is a rule that explicitly forbids you to put a comma in unusual places if you like. At best, the phrase can be difficult to understand.

Dude...there is nothing deep about Kanz member rankings; they weren't written by Sylvia Plath. All this is a bunch of reaching to justify a grammatical error.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:49 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:52 am
Ssj3Engels wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:36 am

Dude...there is nothing deep about Kanz member rankings; they weren't written by Sylvia Plath. All this is a bunch of reaching to justify a grammatical error.
But that was just to show that even with the comma, this sentence contains no grammatical error whatsoever. The OP was mistaken.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:10 am

I just noticed that the rank was changed to "I'm, pretty, cozy, here...", which is just deeply hilarious.

I don't suppose we could get a new rank? I feel like I've been a Namekian Warrior forever and honestly it's a bit too lacking in cutesy for me. :lol:

EDIT: Wow, this is not the first time I've mentioned wanting a different rank? O.o
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:47 am

Another way of looking at it is: "I'm pretty cozy, here." [with minor stress on 'cozy'] [I've found my niche at last. The afterthought hint given by the comma invokes previous less pleasant locations]

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:00 am

What are we doing with our lives?

I think there should be a double comma after cozy now, though...
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:48 am

fleahop wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:00 am What are we doing with our lives?

There has been already a lame attempt by VegettoEX to ''mock'' the thread's issue...

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:56 pm

Ssj3Engels wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:48 am

There has been already a lame attempt by VegettoEX to ''mock'' the thread's issue...
Well now there are, two...
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:34 am

fleahop wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:56 pm
Ssj3Engels wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:48 am

Well now there are, two...
You mean you did one, as well? Sorry, I didn't even notice.