General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Avatar Size (80x80) Reminder

Post by Greenman » Wed May 12, 2010 12:28 am

I think it'd be nice to get a bump up to 100X100. The 100X100 version is a little taller if the padding around the image is kept the same.

Image Image

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed May 12, 2010 12:31 am

I rather like the strict avatar rules here, but to each his/her own.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Wed May 12, 2010 12:36 am

bkev wrote:I rather like the strict avatar rules here, but to each his/her own.
Well, if the size limit was changed, the strict avatar rules would be the same but with different numbers. ;)

Maybe I'm just too elitist these days with my new laptop and "broad band" internet so I can't fully imagine peoples displays or internet connections being chocked by this, but changing the limit to 120x120 wouldn't exactly piss me off.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Wed May 12, 2010 12:39 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:Maybe I'm just too elitist these days with my new laptop and "broad band" internet so I can't fully imagine peoples displays or internet connections being chocked by this, but changing the limit to 120x120 wouldn't exactly piss me off.

If you ask me, 120x120 is kind of fucking, enormous.
80x80
120x120

That is more than double the size of the current avatars.
100x100

This seems more reasonable, to me, if there is to be a change.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 12, 2010 12:46 pm

To be honest, part of the original 80x80 requirement was to see if people actually took the time to read... or at least skim... the forum rules. When someone registered with a gigantic avatar and images in their signature, it was pretty easy to tell what kind of a community member they'd be.

Nothing has significantly changed about the Internet since we put in the avatar size rule, so I don't particularly see a reason/need to change it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed May 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Avatars may be a nice part of a forum, and I believe that the 80x80 rule is perfect.
After all, a forum is text based and what you do should matter in what you write, not how awesome your avatar is.
Making them larger would distract from the actual topic.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu May 13, 2010 12:59 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Xyex wrote:You know, with pretty much everyone on resolutions of 1024x768 or higher these days (even me!) 80x80 pixel avatars are kind of... small. 100x100 would, I think, be better. It's not a huge difference, wouldn't take up any more space (the side bars are already wider than that), but those extra 40 pixels would make things not look quite so small on larger resolutions.
20 x 20 ≠ 40, it would be 400 extra pixels.
I wasn't counting total pixels, I was counting height/width only. 20 down + 20 across = 40. :P
VegettoEX wrote:To be honest, part of the original 80x80 requirement was to see if people actually took the time to read... or at least skim... the forum rules. When someone registered with a gigantic avatar and images in their signature, it was pretty easy to tell what kind of a community member they'd be.

Nothing has significantly changed about the Internet since we put in the avatar size rule, so I don't particularly see a reason/need to change it.
The internet may not have changed, but the technology we look at it with certainly has. 100x100 would serve the same function. :P
Godo wrote:Making them larger would distract from the actual topic.
It really wouldn't. No more than an animated avatar would. You might notice they look a little bigger for a while, but then you'd get used to it and they'd be as easily skimmed by as they are now. Just nicer when you do look.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu May 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Xyex wrote:
It really wouldn't. No more than an animated avatar would. You might notice they look a little bigger for a while, but then you'd get used to it and they'd be as easily skimmed by as they are now. Just nicer when you do look.
I should have added that I don't like animated avatars either. You may not be distracted, fair enough, but I get distracted.
I wouldn't give a less damn about what motive users have on their avatars, so I don't care that people would like to show a bit more of Goku's shirt in their avatar from that picture with SSJ Goku.

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Ok, I admit it.
I have no idea how to get my avatar posted next my name.
I never had a problem on other sites, as I just copied and pasted the image I wanted.

This site requests a URL and I have no idea what the hell that means. (I mean, I KNOW it's an address of sorts but when I click on the image I want, I'm not finding that info.)
Little help?
-Questrider

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:46 pm

You just need to post the address of the image in the text box for it. If you're using Firefox just right click and select "Copy image location" from the box that comes up, then paste that in to the Avatar box. If you're on IE or something you need to go to properties and highlight and copy the URL given. If you've already got a direct link to it, then just copy and paste that.

Example: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/_Xyex_/Animated/HvB.gif

That would be mine.

I suppose I should also note that the image has to be online already. Daizex doesn't support uploading images to use, you have to link to them off site.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Xyex wrote:I suppose I should also note that the image has to be online already. Daizex doesn't support uploading images to use, you have to link to them off site.
Adding to that, you should probably make sure the image is on a personal photobucket account. Websites don't usually appreciate you directly linking to their images and using their bandwidth, and they may even block it altogether. Plus they could move/rename the image so your icon no longer displays. Much better to upload it to your own image account, so you have full control over everything.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:28 pm

Godo wrote:
Xyex wrote:
I should have added that I don't like animated avatars either. You may not be distracted, fair enough, but I get distracted.
I wouldn't give a less damn about what motive users have on their avatars, so I don't care that people would like to show a bit more of Goku's shirt in their avatar from that picture with SSJ Goku.
Sorry about that, I guess an option for the forum is to have animated avatars viewed as a still picture. But that might be a feature that could be a pain to program for the site. Is the slight movements in Piccolo's face a bother to you, or is it the huge movement/flashy avatars that distract you from the post material?

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:59 pm

Khalid Shahin wrote: Sorry about that, I guess an option for the forum is to have animated avatars viewed as a still picture. But that might be a feature that could be a pain to program for the site. Is the slight movements in Piccolo's face a bother to you, or is it the huge movement/flashy avatars that distract you from the post material?
Only the flashy ones, your avatar is OK. :D
I use to visit another forum where many people use flashy ones and it's distracting. On this forum I have maybe encountered a few only.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Since we can't necro a sticky. What defines "grossly-offensive imagery"?

Basically I'm wondering if animated death is acceptable? I assume it is since they have that in DB but just want to make sure. So can we have somebody bursting in to flames or getting a whole punched through them?

Is something like this ok? (if sized properly) Its from that thread in the fanmade section talking about the fan game characters in Mugen by Balthazar. Its how I've always imagined Vegeta and Goku's final battle :lol:

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:09 am

If you resized it, it would be fine.. but then again, I am not the webmaster. Violence does not faze me, so I can't really have an opinion on that.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm pretty sure that "grossly-offensive imagery" would include, at least when it comes to violence in particular, things like super-realistic depictions of gore and face-melting and stuff like that you'd see in horror movies.

So a gif of a cartoon character humorously catching on fire then instantly turning into a cartoon skeleton is just fine, I'd imagine.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:29 pm

Kaboom wrote:I'm pretty sure that "grossly-offensive imagery" would include, at least when it comes to violence in particular, things like super-realistic depictions of gore and face-melting and stuff like that you'd see in horror movies.

So a gif of a cartoon character humorously catching on fire then instantly turning into a cartoon skeleton is just fine, I'd imagine.
I remember one user had zombie pictures of peoples faces rotting away. He never got called on it as I recall.

PS: that was probably two years ago.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:47 am

I remember one user had zombie pictures of peoples faces rotting away. He never got called on it as I recall.

Probably Kunzait... he had plenty of horror avatars.

But it was all fake movie violence... so it's not nearly as disturbing as if it was something more realistic.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:

Probably Kunzait... he had plenty of horror avatars.

But it was all fake movie violence... so it's not nearly as disturbing as if it was something more realistic.
So, is he still on daizex or not these days?

So, I could upload a horror pic from a film and it would be okay then?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Attitudefan wrote: So, is he still on daizex or not these days?
Considering he's replaced about every post, he's ever made in topics, that weren't locked, with a smiley, I think not.