The Basics of "Daizenshuu EX" Grammar

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ricecake
Beyond Newbie

Re: The Basics of "Daizenshuu EX" Grammar

Post by ricecake » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:28 pm

I've been seeing people use "defiantly" instead of "definitely". To quote http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/:
The correct spelling is definitely.

Not definately.

Not definatly.

Not definantly.

Not definetly.

Not definently.

And certainly not defiantly.

The correct spelling is definitely.

sanorin
Beyond Newbie

Post by sanorin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:59 am

Metalwario64 wrote:"Could of", "should of", "would of", etc. are incorrect. They're supposed to be (word)'ve, as they're contractions of (word) have.
Is it possible to add this one to the first post? And the word "definitely", definitely needs to be there too.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:39 pm

I just thought I'd mention that I think I may have found a glitch in the grammar system. I wrote a sentence "...they are significantly stronger than their kid counter parts" After the post was made it showed the "ir" in "their" in red, implying that it was false. I know I was using the right there, their or they're. So maybe it was a glitch or something?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Insertclevername wrote:I just thought I'd mention that I think I may have found a glitch in the grammar system. I wrote a sentence "...they are significantly stronger than their kid counter parts" After the post was made it showed the "ir" in "their" in red, implying that it was false. I know I was using the right there, their or they're. So maybe it was a glitch or something?
Bold red corrections are manually done by moderators. If the "ir" was in red, it means you were definitely using the wrong word and it was corrected for you :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:52 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:I just thought I'd mention that I think I may have found a glitch in the grammar system. I wrote a sentence "...they are significantly stronger than their kid counter parts" After the post was made it showed the "ir" in "their" in red, implying that it was false. I know I was using the right there, their or they're. So maybe it was a glitch or something?
Bold red corrections are manually done by moderators. If the "ir" was in red, it means you were definitely using the wrong word and it was corrected for you :).
Oh okay, I was always wondering how that was done. I changed my sentence around so it was more correct :D.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:07 pm

I have a question about 'quotes' and "quotes." Which one should I use, if I'm referring to say, an object, or the name of something?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I have a question about 'quotes' and "quotes." Which one should I use, if I'm referring to say, an object, or the name of something?
Could you give an example? This page might help you out, though. Basically, it changes depending on where you live, and even then different people use slightly different styles. It's one of those things where you should be okay so long as a) you stick to whatever style guide you're supposed to be following (e.g. your workplace's, or Wikipedia's), and/or b) you're self-consistent and don't switch styles halfway through what you're writing.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:14 pm

That page helped perfectly, thanks. I'd never been tought to use single quotation marks, so I thought it was odd when I saw people doing that.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Thu May 17, 2012 7:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote: If the word ENDS with an s, already, add the apostrophe to the end, and do not add another s. For example:
"Trunks' sword was lying on the ground."

(This rule is often debatable and frequently broken, but at least try to be consistent.)
I remember emailing you about... ooh. ten years ago, asking why in a review of (I think) the Trunks TV Special DVD you used "Trunks's" on several occasions. I believe you told me that "Trunks's" was technically correct, although you thought it looked "wrong".

For what it's worth, I'm sure I've read that, yes, "Trunks's" WOULD be technically correct. It's only historical/mythical people who get to drop the secondary S, such as Jesus, or Hercules (together at last!) I think that "Trunks's" looks horrible, for what it's worth.
ShiningMoon wrote:
SSJmole wrote:My main problems is 1) I have Dyslexia. 2)When I re-read things, I often read them the way they should have been. :oops:
I know you wrote this a while ago, but I wanted to say that my boyfriend is dyslexic so from my experience the (2) there is actually an extension of (1). I proofread his organic chemistry labs for him last semester, and this went so far as him not being able to tell that where he meant to write some chemical name, he actually wrote "porpoise" (that was what the spell-check told him to use to fix his already misspelled chemical name). Like, he would look at "porpoise" and assure me it was the correct chemical name, until I read out loud, "Then 5mL of porpoise was added to the solution." This is a frequent problem and I am a terrible person for deriving so many laughs from it.
To be fair, this is not a problem unique to dyslexics. Most people, when they type something wrong, don't see the error even after multiple re-reads. This is why publishing companies employ spellcheckers, and why you should always get someone else to read that important essay/email before sending it. Or at least, reread it in the morning (which I get is hardly convenient when it comes to posting on a forum).

One thing I'd add... the phrase is not "I could care less". It is "I couldn't care less". The former makes no sense, unless you are saying that you are actually interested in what is being discussed. Drives me insane, that one does.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Thu May 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Not sure if that's counts as Grammar or something else, but... what are the rules on swearing? Completely banned, used only if appropriate, or something else?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu May 17, 2012 8:44 pm

LiamKav wrote:Not sure if that's counts as Grammar or something else, but... what are the rules on swearing? Completely banned, used only if appropriate, or something else?
Swearing's fine, but try not to double-post.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 pm

Touche.

So, in cases like that, edit your original post rather than making a new one? Gotcha.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu May 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Swearing at someone would likely get you told off, of course.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

ricecake
Beyond Newbie

Post by ricecake » Fri May 18, 2012 9:37 am

LiamKav wrote:Most people, when they type something wrong, don't see the error even after multiple re-reads. This is why publishing companies employ spellcheckers, and why you should always get someone else to read that important essay/email before sending it. Or at least, reread it in the morning (which I get is hardly convenient when it comes to posting on a forum).
A tip one of my teachers told me was to read your writing backwards. This way it's easier to concentrate on each individual word instead of following the flow of the sentence.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:53 pm

I hope that this doesn't count as necroposting but I found something that I wanted to contribute here and I did not think it merited a thread of its own.

I don't know how many of you know xkcd. If you don't, then by all accounts go and check it. It's an awesomely funny and informative webcomic. And the latest page had something that struck me as appropriate for Kanzenshuu: it underscored the difference between "canon" and "cannon" - it might be helpful as a tool for those who keep forgeting the proper spelling of those words.. Here it is:

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Fri May 01, 2015 9:16 pm

VegettoEX's rules and expectations of how to conduct yourself while participating on his site is one of the primary reasons why I have continued to regularly visit for so many years now. I sincerely doubt my sanity could have survived so long anywhere else. A structured, organized place to share your opinions and engage in intelligent discussions regarding this franchise is nearly impossible, yet it is possible here. I attribute that to the stricter guidelines in place here over anywhere else online.

That being said, I would like to mention something I see come up quite often that I think may be beneficial to users here to understand. That is the matter of "begging the question". It is a phrase used to describe a statement that makes a claim without providing factual evidence to back it up. For example, consider the following statement:

"I think Broly is an awesome character, because he is cool looking."

Now, there is nothing wrong with this statement, it is an opinion many fans hold. However, it is just that, an opinion statement. Awesome nearly equates to cool looking, therefore because he is cool looking "begs the question" to I think Broly is an awesome character.

What's the point in this? Well, I am glad you asked, because "begs the question" does not refer to a literal question statement. It is a phrase used to describe the logic problem of re-iterating the same point within a single statement. The issue lies in using such a phrase in place of a "Which raises the question.." or "This brings up the question of.."

Often, a statement is made, followed by "which begs the question.." followed by an actual question relating to the said statement. This is incorrect. Where it would correctly be used is in an instance where an opinion statement was given in the manner outlined above, and someone called them out on it by saying something along the lines of, "Broly is awesome because he is cool looking only begs the question and does not really prove anything."

Otherwise, a statement like the the following example is incorrect:

"Golden Freeza getting so powerful in just four months of training begs the question, why didn't he do exactly this after the fight on namek?"

The correct way would be this:

"Golden Freeza getting so powerful in just four months of training raises the question, why didn't he do exactly this after the fight on namek?"

It is a bit tricky and convoluted, but "begging the question" is a fallacy of logic descriptor, and not synonymous with "raising the question". Hope this helps some of you out in a positive manner. :)
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote: If the word ENDS with an s, already, add the apostrophe to the end, and do not add another s.

(This rule is often debatable and frequently broken, but at least try to be consistent.)
This part bothers me. Grammatically, they're both correct. Singular nouns ending in s shouldn't be turned possessive with an 's if it makes the pronunciation sloppy. Beyond that, it's completely arbitrary. Also, it'd make more sense to say, "This rule is often debated" instead. Its current phrasing either alludes to it being a common rule elsewhere--which to my knowledge it isn't--or being subject to frequent alterations.

In official media, both are used frequently:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchens%27s_razor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis%27_Christmas_Album

Sources (just about every reputable source on apostrophes says what these are saying):
https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/621/01/
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/possessives.htm
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/nou ... essive.htm
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:28 am

Sayo-chan wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: If the word ENDS with an s, already, add the apostrophe to the end, and do not add another s.

This part bothers me. Grammatically, they're both correct. Singular nouns ending in s shouldn't be turned possessive with an 's if it makes the pronunciation sloppy. Beyond that, it's completely arbitrary. Also, it'd make more sense to say, "This rule is often debated" instead. Its current phrasing either alludes to it being a common rule elsewhere--which to my knowledge it isn't--or being subject to frequent alterations.

In official media, both are used frequently:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchens%27s_razor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis%27_Christmas_Album

Sources (just about every reputable source on apostrophes says what these are saying):
https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/621/01/
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/possessives.htm
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/nou ... essive.htm
A lot of times, it just goes on a "what sounds better" basis. Given all the exceptions for rules in the English language, I've rarely seen people, even in an academic setting, get hung up over how to pull off possessives with names ending in "s."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

soleil444
Beyond Newbie

Post by soleil444 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:47 am

Can i use google for translation? i don't know if you are ok in yours rules to foreigns
Please understand: it's my first time on an english board about DB & i have a very very bad english!! thanks

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:55 am

soleil444 wrote:Can i use google for translation? i don't know if you are ok in yours rules to foreigns
Yes, we make exceptions and try to go easy on people who are not native speakers.
-Rachel