Changes Coming...

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Re: Changes Coming...

Post by laserkid » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Honestly, the only thing I'd reccomend adding would be direct links to the most recent posts in each sections, in addition to the name of the person who made said most recent post on the main board index. It was on the older board, and I know there's a PHPBB3 version of this mod (as I had to install it myself on my own PHPBB3 board). It's really the only feature I explicitely miss using, as I find it exceedingly useful. Totally your call if you wanted to use it, of course.
-Laserkid

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 pm

I just got up, came on, and look! First-unread-post links everywhere! Thanks lost!

They weren't there before, right? I didn't just miss them till now...?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:21 pm

I'd just like to say how much I appreciate "view new posts". It's incredibly useful to me for when I'm gone for several days and want to get caught up on threads and posts I've missed. Thank you for it. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:39 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Raki wrote:I wonder if there are any plans to put in a Quick Reply option at the bottom of the page.
I specifically disabled it. People don't need any more reasons to put less thought into their responses. Every extra action necessary to respond means you have to think about it that much longer, which is exactly what I want :).
Oh I figured that's why it was disabled before. Makes sense in my book.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:17 am

Ya'll are giving me too much credit... I didn't actually do anything. No seriously, if you're noticing things that mesh with your request, its a coincidence. Since I haven't done anything in the last few days (well, that's only partially true. I had to fix registration twice, when stuff broke. But that's about it.) And right now all I am doing is researching about the links opening in a new window request that Mike wants me to do.

So, you know, thanks for showing appreciation for my hard work, but my pride wont let me accept accolades for things I haven't actually, you know, done. lol.

I am such a failure. But, if you really wanna feed my ego, wait until I figure out the link thing. Then I'll gladly accept your praise!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:02 am

lost in thought wrote:Ya'll are giving me too much credit... I didn't actually do anything. No seriously, if you're noticing things that mesh with your request, its a coincidence.
Wait, so that function really was there and I just completely missed it till now? My god, that's dumb of me.
But, if you really wanna feed my ego, wait until I figure out the link thing. Then I'll gladly accept your praise!
You bet.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:10 am

@Bussani:
Oddly, yes. I noticed it after replying but almost no posts had it, so I thought it was something specific to posts of a particular status.

@Everybody & Mike:
Hey folks, and in particular the ones interested in links opening as new windows/tabs, and especially Mike, I've got a solution in the works for this, but I'd like to make sure its acceptable before going ahead with it. First of all, I should point out that attempting to simply change the behavior of links inside of phpBB is a retarded process at best, since these days post links are static once generated (and would force me to go through every post to modify, like hell I am doing that) on top of the templates themselves.

So, the most reasonable (and easiest) solution I've come to was instantiating a bit of code at page load that would automatically apply a target onto ALL links for me. This code works across all of the major browsers, although admittedly with varying results. Firefox, SeaMonkey, Opera and Chrome handle these links by creating new tabs, whereas Safari and IE treat them like new windows. (And no, there's really not much I can do to change how they treat them.)

If this is acceptable to you guys, and again, especially you Mike, I'd be happy to commit to it. Figured I'd just see what everybody had to say first, though.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:39 am

When you say 'all links', does that include buttons like 'post reply' and thread titles as well, or only links in the posts themselves?

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:28 pm

@Bussani:
I mean all links. Even if it looks like a button, unless it uses no anchor tag (i.e. <a>) it will open in a new window. Now, by comparison, if I were to go and modify phpBB directly; the way it handles links is such that no links within posts would be effected from prior to the modification being made, which is redundant at best.

Of course, I might be able to scale shit back slightly so it doesn't cover "every" link, but the initial solution is that, in an attempt to catch links that wouldn't otherwise be caught.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:44 pm

I'm shocked there's such a significant difference between phpBB2 and phpBB3 in terms of post-content link handling. I probably shouldn't be, but I am. I'm more shocked that there's not an easy dip-switch for it somewhere.

I don't want links opening in new windows unless they're within the content of a post. Buttons, things like the member list, etc... those should not be opening in new windows.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:52 pm

@Mike:
Well, that's the nudge. It was made in another time, you might say, when standards weren't as strict as they are today, of course there's also something of a disparity today, where you're able to more or less go with loose standards compliance or strict compliance and be all good in the hood. Of course, just to make shit hard on guys like me, the development of 3 was done with more or less strict compliance in mind (which means no "target" attribute, 'cause those are deprecated and no longer used.)

Of course, if that wasn't enough 3 was developed to, for some arbitrary reason, half rely on static generations of templates, queries, and all that other fun shit that comes along with displaying board data. So, once things like URLs are generated during the posting process, it seems the team thought it would be a banner idea to make that shit a static insertion, rather than dynamically generated on every view.

On one hand, there is some sense there. I mean, the fewer functions you're calling for a display is generally considered a bonus, but for general upkeep, its a terrible idea if there ever was one. Which means they couldn't add a 'dip-switch' to turn that shit on, 'cause it'd mean having to go back through every post where that kind of information was generated, and apply the new change, which would probably blow the goddamn server up. And you just know they're about as interested in doing that as I am.

Anyway, that definitely gives me something to shoot toward then. I should be able to target just those links pretty easily. I'll get back to you later with what I come up with then.

EDIT:
Hey, Mike, I've got a working sample put together. I'll try and get an example over to you whenever you're around so you can see how it performs.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I'm shocked there's such a significant difference between phpBB2 and phpBB3 in terms of post-content link handling. I probably shouldn't be, but I am. I'm more shocked that there's not an easy dip-switch for it somewhere.
They are actually COMPLETELY different, nearly as if it was just brand new and not a 3.0.

It's why I wanted to kick everything over to SMF...

but alas, the converter doth not work properly.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:54 am

I have an annoying problem of being logged out from time to time while browsing the forum.

I deleted the cookies and logged in again, but no change.

And what's really annoying about this, is when I log in, the only option I have is going back to the index page. No redirecting to the previous page I was before.

A little help here?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:05 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:I deleted the cookies and logged in again, but no change.
Delete the history, the cache, delete everything.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:31 am

Anyone else having problems with their signature?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:33 am

desirecampbell wrote:Anyone else having problems with their signature?
In your user control panel / profile, "Disable BBCode" was checked off in your signature. I think it may (unfortunately) be that way by default in the transition. I un-checked it for you. Should be fine, now.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 am

VegettoEX wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:Anyone else having problems with their signature?
In your user control panel / profile, "Disable BBCode" was checked off in your signature. I think it may (unfortunately) be that way by default in the transition. I un-checked it for you. Should be fine, now.
Hot damn. I was sure I saw that and fixed that.

Let that be a lesson to all of you: Desire is blind.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:52 pm

@SHINOBI-03:
Well, now you have me curious about the context by which you've experienced this quirk. Has it been dramatic, logging you out while you're surfing the forum and only staying logged in for a short period of time, or more of a long-term thing, where you've left the site idle in your browser to come back later and find yourself logged out?

If we're talking the former, clearing your recent browsing history as Metalwario said might be the way to go. Of course, if its the latter, the forum wouldn't leave you logged in indefinitely without taking proactive measures for that scenario; i.e. ticking 'Log me on automatically each visit.'

If you're still not seeing any improvement, try and relate the scenario under which you've experienced the issue, and I'll try to investigate it further.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:14 am

lost in thought wrote:@SHINOBI-03:
Well, now you have me curious about the context by which you've experienced this quirk. Has it been dramatic, logging you out while you're surfing the forum and only staying logged in for a short period of time.

If we're talking the former, clearing your recent browsing history as Metalwario said might be the way to go.
It came back again! Even after clearing my History, the cache, and the cookies.

I even upgraded to the latest Opera version.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:59 am

I'm doing it over and over SHINOBI-03. I deleted cookies and history 4 times.

It's not a matter of this message boeard only, I know 2 with the same problem, or that problem is individual only for us
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88