In need of a "Random" section

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Codarik
Advanced Regular

In need of a "Random" section

Post by Codarik » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Is it possible to have a "Random" section or something like that here? I noticed some members here like to use examples of other things they love to bring into a conversation to compare with Dragon Ball moments. I figured since every member on this site is mature, we would be able to talk about movies, etc. and still obey the site rules. It would be nice to know what everyone likes to talk about other than Dragon Ball related stuff. I know there are other forums we can go to talk about these non-DB related things but a lot of those forums, in lack of a better term, suck compared to this one.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: In need of a "Random" section

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:34 pm

Nope. We do not and will not have any sort of "Off-Topic" section. Sorry if that comes off as a little harsh (not meant to -- just want to clearly answer the question), but that's the community setup we have created and will continue to adhere by. There are a few (much older) discussions in this section for larger, more-detailed explanations if you are curious as to some of our deeper reasonings.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:43 pm

Ah, I just figured it would have been a nice addition to the site. But since you're the boss I shouldn't complain. I'm going to search for those old discussions.

Edit: Oh, it all makes perfect sense. I no longer want an "off-topic section".

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm still not convinced that the idea of a "Random/Off-Topic" section would be bad.

Kanzenshuu is not just a forum or a news site, it's a community for Dragon Ball fans to gather, discuss, make friends, debate, argue, learn, imagine, have fun, etc. Why not throw in a Off-Topic section in the mix? Why not discuss every once in a while about other things that we find fun and interesting? Because we know that we're discussing with the same, smart, and mature people who often post on this great site. It's not like the forum would lose it's main topic and get lost on other things, there's another great forum I post on (more often then here) that has it's main topic with a off-topic section, but still has mature members, reasonable rules, and cool staff just like the ones here.
Last edited by Son Geeko on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:05 am

Well, the chat room basically functions as an off-topic section. Personally, I don't see the need for anything more than that.

A lot of community members interact with each other on Twitter, too.
-Rachel

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:16 am

I'm so happy this place is back. I MISSED YOU ALLL...a little.

Yeah OP, I tried this once too. Don't feel bad about having your idea shot down. Just buy Veggie here a few cold cervezas and I'm sure he'll love your idea like it was his own.

LOL nope. :mrgreen:
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:42 pm

TripleRach wrote:Well, the chat room basically functions as an off-topic section. Personally, I don't see the need for anything more than that.
I Read the "Chat" section on the site.... I'm a bit confused. It's telling me to use some server called irc.rizon.net, I searched it up on Google and got nothing. It tells me to plug-in this and download that, anyone wanna explain this clearer to me please?
TripleRach wrote:A lot of community members interact with each other on Twitter, too.
Well, it's not like you can really talk all that much as you can here, especially with Twitter's 140 character limit.
Last edited by Son Geeko on Sun May 27, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:44 pm

A off topic forum would be a mess and not having one makes this place feel special. Someone could just create Kanzenshuu random as it's own forum.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Sun May 27, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Son Geeko wrote:I Read the "Chat" section on the site.... I'm a bit confused. It's telling me to use some server called irc.rizon.net, I searched it up on Google and got nothing. It tells me to pug-in this and download that, anyone who could help explain this to be clearer please?

Well, if you tried to google "irc.rizon.net" you need to read the chat page again. You need an IRC client, not a web browser.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Son Geeko wrote:
TripleRach wrote:Well, the chat room basically functions as an off-topic section. Personally, I don't see the need for anything more than that.
I Read the "Chat" section on the site.... I'm a bit confused. It's telling me to use some server called irc.rizon.net, I searched it up on Google and got nothing. It tells me to pug-in this and download that, anyone who could help explain this to be clearer please?
TripleRach wrote:A lot of community members interact with each other on Twitter, too.
Well, it's not like you can really talk all that much as you can here, especially with Twitter's 140 character limit.
First, go here: https://cbe002.chat.mibbit.com/
From that drop-down menu, find Rizon [webirc]
Enter SonGeeko in the nickname box.
Enter #daizenshuu in the channel.
Hit connect.

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:13 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Well, if you tried to google "irc.rizon.net" you need to read the chat page again. You need an IRC client, not a web browser.
Sorry, I'm not an expert at this kind of stuff, so I honestly have no idea what you're talking ab-
Pokewhiz7 wrote: First, go here: https://cbe002.chat.mibbit.com/
From that drop-down menu, find Rizon [webirc]
Enter SonGeeko in the nickname box.
Enter #daizenshuu in the channel.
Hit connect.
Ah, that's exactly the kind of explanation I wanted, thanks!
Hellspawn28 wrote:A off topic would be a mess
I've already explained my reasons on why a off-topic section would NOT be a mess. Unless you toke examples from some unorganized and poorly run forum, than yes it would be a mess. But we're talking about the Kanzenshuu forum here, one of the best and most well run forums I've ever been a part of IMO. The members here are mature and well-mannered enough to not go nuts on a off-topic section if it ever happened.
Hellspawn28 wrote:Someone could just create Kanzenshuu random as it's own forum.
If I knew how to create my own forum, then I would love to try to do something like that! :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:17 pm

There was a separate "Randomness" forum that was set up. No-one used it, and it withered away and died.

The administration staff has zero interest in creating and maintaining any off-topic discussion areas on this forum. We are a Dragon Ball-focused website, and that is all we're going to cover.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:36 pm

VegettoEX wrote:There was a separate "Randomness" forum that was set up. No-one used it, and it withered away and died.
It seem like no one hardly used that forum from what I've seen and most people here enjoy the chat room more. The last post on the randomness forum was from two years ago and the only people that post on the forum are spam bots.
She/Her

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Sun May 27, 2012 5:03 pm

VegettoEX wrote:There was a separate "Randomness" forum that was set up. No-one used it, and it withered away and died.
Oh no, people did use it. Although it wasn't very active from what I've seen and pretty much completely died over the years...
VegettoEX wrote:The administration staff has zero interest in creating and maintaining any off-topic discussion areas on this forum. We are a Dragon Ball-focused website, and that is all we're going to cover.
I still think that a off-topic section would work REALLY well. Take a look over at the Toonami and SOPA threads that popped up in the past few months for example, everyone was mature and well-thought, discussions were continuous and interesting, looking at those threads to me make a good example at how an off-topic section would be like.

Sometimes I get a bit tired of looking at this forum just to talk about Dragon Ball, you might say "Oh than go join some other forum that talks about other stuff", but for me, it's not the TOPIC itself that I'm interested in, it's the PEOPLE here that make it far more interesting to discuss with. Again like what I said, many of the members here are mature and interesting to talk with, and being able to talk with them about other things would be a great experience.
Last edited by Son Geeko on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Not having one gives this place a charm. I like to go here when I like to relax from mindless shit on other forums that I go on.
She/Her

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Shortpacked! did a comic on this once, where going into the off-topic part of a forum is always depressing, because you find out that the guys you've been talking to quite happily about your fandom include someone cheating on his wife, someone who won't let their child date black people, someone who thinks that gay people should be set on fire, someone who likes Piers Morgan...

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm living, breathing proof that off-topic sections eat away at you and soon the only reason you visit a place that has them is to shoot the breeze about nothing. Two cliques emerge: veterans who have lost interest in whatever the hell the site used to be for and is now a club to them, and newbies who are constantly confused. This can be avoided with bigger communities, but Kanzenshuu is pretty small.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:58 am

To back up what B said, there was once an even older Daizenshuu EX forum long ago (to give some perspective - I think it died in 2002), which did have a general section... which got used more than the Dragon Ball topic section, and it ended up exactly as B described.

I think a lot of the rules this forum has, even some of the ones I'm not personally fond of, ended up making this forum a much nicer, and better place than said older forum.
-Laserkid

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:43 pm

B wrote:I'm living, breathing proof that off-topic sections eat away at you and soon the only reason you visit a place that has them is to shoot the breeze about nothing.
laserkid wrote:To back up what B said, there was once an even older Daizenshuu EX forum long ago (to give some perspective - I think it died in 2002), which did have a general section... which got used more than the Dragon Ball topic section, and it ended up exactly as B described.
I've been on a good handful of good forums that have a off-topic section, but everyone still pays attention to the said forum's main central topic. No one would join a central topic forum just for that off-topic section.

A great forum is a community. We like each other enough to explore our interests together. We would talk about other things because it's fun and interesting. People come here for the main central topic, but stay because they make friends. They get to know people that they like talking with. I know that's why I've stuck around and hang on those forums much more often than here. They feel like home.

If people don't like general off-topic conversation or topics non-relating to the forum's main central theme, then simply don't go into that section.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Son Geeko wrote:
B wrote:I'm living, breathing proof that off-topic sections eat away at you and soon the only reason you visit a place that has them is to shoot the breeze about nothing.
laserkid wrote:To back up what B said, there was once an even older Daizenshuu EX forum long ago (to give some perspective - I think it died in 2002), which did have a general section... which got used more than the Dragon Ball topic section, and it ended up exactly as B described.
I've been on a good handful of good forums that have a off-topic section, but everyone still pays attention to the said forum's main central topic. No one would join a central topic forum just for that off-topic section.

A great forum is a community. We like each other enough to explore our interests together. We would talk about other things because it's fun and interesting. People come here for the main central topic, but stay because they make friends. They get to know people that they like talking with. I know that's why I've stuck around and hang on those forums much more often than here. They feel like home.

If people don't like general off-topic conversation or topics non-relating to the forum's main central theme, then simply don't go into that section.
That's what makes this place so unique though. I like the fact that Dragon Ball is the only topic of discussion on this entire forum. Gives this place a more pure and simple vibe. All the members understand what we are here for, and a random section might add unnecessary convolution.

Maybe I just feel like there will be plenty of Dragon Ball related topics to discuss in the future before such drastic measures are needed to keep this forum active. Though even then, this being a Dragon Ball only forum when the series is long dead and forgotten, would only add to it's mysticism.

I don't disagree that a random section could be fun, but it would tarnish the image of what this forum is all about...