A Question for dub fans.

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

A Question for dub fans.

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 am

Since joining this site, have you adopted any of the original names when referring to what they are?

For example, I used to call it "Special Beam Cannon" but now I say "Makankosappo". Another is I now use "Mr Satan" instead of Hercule.

Anybody?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8834
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:09 am

For me it's more because of finally having watched the Japanese version of the show, and then it varies. In general conversation, I tend to go with dub terminology (sometimes noting a difference though), because that's what I'm most used to, as well as a lot of friends. Then on the FUNimation Forums, I tend to pretty much always use the dub terms too. Er, with the exception of my Sub Review thread I had been doing anyway.

Here though, I try my best to remember to use sub terms and spellings. Remembering 'Kuririn' instead of 'Krillin' and 'Freeza' instead of 'Fr-i-eza' is easy enough, but trying to remember 'Boo' instead of 'Buu' is a bit tougher on me for some reason.

Edit: Gah, forgot about the filter for Freeza's dub spelling.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
samuraix123
I Live Here
Posts: 3775
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:25 pm

I haven't really changed the way I say things :? I usually just say things the way Funimation says them.
but that doesn't mean that I don't know about the other names and stuff :wink:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

User avatar
LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by LiamKav » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:01 pm

I try and avoid writing out the name of Piccolo's special attack, because I don't want to use "Special Beam Canon" (beware my canon! It's a special canon!) but I don't want to have to do a search for the Japanese name and copy and paste it, because damn me if I can ever remember how it's spelt.

User avatar
Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 am

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:01 am

LiamKav wrote:I try and avoid writing out the name of Piccolo's special attack, because I don't want to use "Special Beam Canon" (beware my canon! It's a special canon!) but I don't want to have to do a search for the Japanese name and copy and paste it, because damn me if I can ever remember how it's spelt.
Nail: Last I heard, cannons don't drill things.
Piccolo: That's why it's special!

Anyway, I just started remembering "Makankousappou" once I began to use it here regularly. When you do that, you can remember most of them.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

User avatar
dprez
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1381
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by dprez » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Not that I'm a dub fan, but before joining this site I pronounced Super Saiyan the wrong way (obviously from being brain washed by the dub) as, Super "Say-un". Now It's gotta be Super "Cyan". Once I watched my Dragon Boxes, I could clearly hear them say it as "Supa Saiya-jin", or "Saiya-jin".

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16632
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Kanzenshuu: teaching you to listen to your shows since 1998 :D.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kurillin-Sama
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by Kurillin-Sama » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:43 pm

I flip flop. I've always found it dumb the way the Dragon Ball community would pick and choose what they leave untranslated and what they translate. I never understood why it was so popular to call Muten Roshi 'Kame Sennin' instead of 'Turtle Hermit' for example.

Mr. Satan is better than Hercule though.

User avatar
LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by LiamKav » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:33 pm

Kurillin-Sama wrote: I never understood why it was so popular to call Muten Roshi 'Kame Sennin' instead of 'Turtle Hermit' for example.
In that case, I think it's because of the liberal use of "Kame" in other places in the series, like the side of his house, the Kamehameha, and so on.

User avatar
Innagadadavida
I Live Here
Posts: 3453
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Arkansas, USA
Contact:

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:52 pm

I used to not care very much, and now I super don't care very much. I just stick with what I heard first man. Its not that big of a deal to me. I do change the way I say the names when I talk to folks from Daizenshuu EX. But in real life I mostly speak to casual dub fans so I stick with dub terminology so I don't seem like that guy.

Picking which terminology to translate or transliterate or transverbiate or whatever just seems like such an inexact science to me. I'd rather not bother. Changing what names you call someone based on newly learned circumstances isn't my thing. I'm more of a Vegeta in that way. Or should I say less of a Vegeta? Since Goku isn't his real name?

User avatar
The Time Traveller
I Live Here
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:28 am

LiamKav wrote:I try and avoid writing out the name of Piccolo's special attack, because I don't want to use "Special Beam Canon" (beware my canon! It's a special canon!) but I don't want to have to do a search for the Japanese name and copy and paste it, because damn me if I can ever remember how it's spelt.
If they browse this site shouldn't they already know what Makankosappo means? They use it in the dub, in Kai at least.

User avatar
LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by LiamKav » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:06 am

Innagadadavida wrote:Picking which terminology to translate or transliterate or transverbiate or whatever just seems like such an inexact science to me. I'd rather not bother. Changing what names you call someone based on newly learned circumstances isn't my thing. I'm more of a Vegeta in that way. Or should I say less of a Vegeta? Since Goku isn't his real name?
It is his real name, I'd argue. It's like giving a kid up for adoption. Is his real name the one his birth mother gave him, or the one his adopted partents gave him? I'd go for the latter.

User avatar
Innagadadavida
I Live Here
Posts: 3453
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Arkansas, USA
Contact:

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Yeah well this isn't adoption. It's a cartoon.

User avatar
LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by LiamKav » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Well, obviously, but that can't be the answer to everything, otherwise the "vs" thread would have died out a long time ago.

In pretty much every sense of the word, Goku was adopted, so I think it's a fair comparison. I guess a better fictional one would be... do you think his real name is Clark, or Kal-El?

Kurillin-Sama
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by Kurillin-Sama » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Superman is also a work of fiction so I don't see what your point is.

User avatar
LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by LiamKav » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:26 am

Innagadadavida was saying that the character's real name isn't Goku, it's Kakarrot. I was arguing the opposite, using the real-life example of adoption and the specific fictional example of Superman, since there's not a shared real-life adopted person I can use as an example. And Superman is a fair comparison. He was named by his natural parents as Kal-El, but was raised by human parents from being a baby and called Clark, so logically a person would either think, for both characters, that their real name is "Kal-El" and "Kakarrot", or "Clark" and "Goku".

frogoat
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 am

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by frogoat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Since listening to the podcast, I've found myself saying 'Saiya-jin' rather than 'Saiyan'. I'm still getting my mouth around most of the other terms and titles though. Nobody quote me on that.

User avatar
DanTheBib
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:36 am
Location: Under your bed.

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by DanTheBib » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:31 pm

frogoat wrote:Since listening to the podcast, I've found myself saying 'Saiya-jin' rather than 'Saiyan'. I'm still getting my mouth around most of the other terms and titles though. Nobody quote me on that.
Ha, now what?

But to answer the question, I flicker between the two. When talking on here, I try and use the correct names for everything (although I'm awful at remembering attacks such as the Makankosappo), whereas if I interact with fans who are less knowledgeable of the sub/manga, I try and just use the dub terminologies to stop people getting confused.

I'm still trying to get my head around writing Freeza like that, as opposed to the other way. Some part of me just doesn't like writing it like that.

Also, I've only recently been pronouncing 'Saiyan' as 'cyan', not 'say-an'. That's one of those dub things I never knew was wrong until listening to the podcast.
"Well, I guess there is retarded people out there that has serious complains." - Margarita.

frogoat
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 am

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by frogoat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:31 am

DanTheBib wrote:
frogoat wrote:Since listening to the podcast, I've found myself saying 'Saiya-jin' rather than 'Saiyan'. I'm still getting my mouth around most of the other terms and titles though. Nobody quote me on that.
Ha, now what?

But to answer the question, I flicker between the two. When talking on here, I try and use the correct names for everything (although I'm awful at remembering attacks such as the Makankosappo), whereas if I interact with fans who are less knowledgeable of the sub/manga, I try and just use the dub terminologies to stop people getting confused.

I'm still trying to get my head around writing Freeza like that, as opposed to the other way. Some part of me just doesn't like writing it like that.

Also, I've only recently been pronouncing 'Saiyan' as 'cyan', not 'say-an'. That's one of those dub things I never knew was wrong until listening to the podcast.
Exactly, using the dub terms for clarification is fine in my book.

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2584
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:07 pm

I just use the actual names regardless of who I'm talking to. Some people get super pissed at me for saying Saiyan correctly, and some say it the way I do because they're just mimicking me. Haha. Some will actually try to say it correctly, but quickly forget.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Post Reply