"I Live Here", and It Only Took Me Seven Years

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

"I Live Here", and It Only Took Me Seven Years

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:51 am

2,000th post.

I've seen folks who make (literally) thousands of posts within a year of joining, and I see other folks who pace themselves so slowly that they never crack four digits. I guess I'd place myself somewhere in between those two extremes-- basically, I chug along and never truly disappear.
[/retrospective]

In light of having taking that long just to reach a few thousand, it's caused me to assess just what my habits are in relation to the forum. And I thought it might make a good topic of discussion, since... well, we all have habits. And more to the point, reasons for those habits. ;p

So, we all know why we're here. DragonBall.

But... why are you HERE?

Why did you sign up, and what keeps you here? Was it word-of-mouth? The website itself? Or perhaps you were lurking and saw something that you just had to respond to? And in any event, do the friendly staff and shonen atmosphere make you glad you did?

How do you use this forum, and in what capacity? How is your time spent here integrated into your daily routine? First thing in the morning, or a last look before bed? Do you spend as much time here as you'd like? Not enough, too much?

Where do most of your contributions fall, and why? Do you discuss the series proper, or just news relating to it? Are you a PWRLVL cruncher? Are you waiting for news of a new series? Do you post and putz all over the place, or generally stay confined to one particular subsection?

I figure I'll post my own habits after a bit more thought, but until then I thought it'd be good to put this out there.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "I Live Here", and It Only Took Me Seven Years

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:32 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Why did you sign up, and what keeps you here? Was it word-of-mouth? The website itself? Or perhaps you were lurking and saw something that you just had to respond to? And in any event, do the friendly staff and shonen atmosphere make you glad you did?
I'd been browsing both the website and the forum for a while, and saw that there was some top-notch discussion here that surpassed that of MFG Forums (which banned me after claiming something that I'd never even done) and I wanted to be a part of it. So I joined up, and I'm kept here by the clean presentation and organization.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:How do you use this forum, and in what capacity? How is your time spent here integrated into your daily routine? First thing in the morning, or a last look before bed? Do you spend as much time here as you'd like? Not enough, too much?
I log in here and post pretty much whenever I use my laptop, which is most days. I'm a secondary school student who doesn't do much, especially in the holidays (which I'm currently on), so this is a good time-killer. I think I spend enough time here.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:Where do most of your contributions fall, and why? Do you discuss the series proper, or just news relating to it? Are you a PWRLVL cruncher? Are you waiting for news of a new series? Do you post and putz all over the place, or generally stay confined to one particular subsection?
I mostly stay confined to the General Franchise Discussion and In-Universe Discussion forums, less so for the Fan-Created Works, and occasionally for the others. I mostly like to pick apart the story and the characters, which allows me to explore new dimensions of a series that I've already invested so much of my time in. I can't really have any significant input on, say, Dragon Boxes, because I don't own the anime in any form. Nor am I that interested in action figures or soundtracks, and I haven't bought any of the video games since Sparking! METEOR.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Why did you sign up, and what keeps you here? Was it word-of-mouth? The website itself? Or perhaps you were lurking and saw something that you just had to respond to? And in any event, do the friendly staff and shonen atmosphere make you glad you did?
Sheer boredom, really. Wasn’t even going to sign up, but I’m so glad I did. Possibly the best decision I’ve made in a very long time for various … amazing reasons. :>
How do you use this forum, and in what capacity? How is your time spent here integrated into your daily routine? First thing in the morning, or a last look before bed? Do you spend as much time here as you'd like? Not enough, too much?
I use my computer mainly for drawing. I draw for about 6 hours or so at a time, so I usually have this site running in the background, checking it every so often.
Where do most of your contributions fall, and why? Do you discuss the series proper, or just news relating to it? Are you a PWRLVL cruncher? Are you waiting for news of a new series? Do you post and putz all over the place, or generally stay confined to one particular subsection?
I mainly lurk around. I tend to hover about the fan works section and the “your recent purchases” thread. I had a little thread about doujinshi scans I worked on for a while, so that was my hovel for a long time. Was pretty proud of, but eh. I lost interest in scanning. Was fun while it lasted though.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Why did you sign up, and what keeps you here?
I ask myself this same question every day. Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

In all seriousness, I wanted what I wanted. By that, I mean I wanted the best Dragon Ball forum around, and that included everything from people typing properly to wanting to discuss every aspect of the show to focusing on the original Japanese version to everything else you see that this community is. I made what I wanted. The great part is that other people wanted that, too, and here you all are!

What keeps me here is the amount of contributions that people make. Even if it's an older conversation that we've tossed around a million times, every so often someone points out something new and I sit there going, "holy crap!" That's enough to justify it. I've re-considered viewpoints. I've changed consistency on things. No other place has done that to me. Plus, you're all my backups for keeping up on news, and especially from an international perspective. I read today that someone IN PORTUGAL didn't even know about the manga re-release back in 2010 and learned it FROM THIS SITE. Mind. Blown. YOU ALL helped me accomplish that.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:How do you use this forum, and in what capacity?
It's open in a tab on at least one computer 24/7. I'm of course not AWAKE that entire time, but it's there! I browse for news before I take off for work, and it's open all day long at work. It's open all evening at home, but I do significantly less browsing there. Kinda weird, but I guess I do most of my reading and contributions... err... at work :P.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:Where do most of your contributions fall, and why?
Mostly "General Franchise Discussion", since I'm not much of an "In-Universe" person myself (though I don't mind dabbling there every so often). I find that as I get older, I'm more and more gravitating toward the "meta" about the series. I learn more about why the series is the way it is by learning how it is that it got there. You'll also see me in the "Video Games" and "Music" areas where appropriate.

I like everything. I type words.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Why did you sign up, and what keeps you here?

I basically came here because when alt.fan.dragonball died, a lot of familiar names from there moved onto this forum. It was like when Namek exploded and they wished for a new Namek. This is New Namek. Most of those people are long gone though, but I've stuck around and made a few friends here. This place has grown into such an informative, educational and interesting place. Where else can Falconer fans and fans of the original Japanese version coexist ? I'll tell you where - New Namek.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:48 pm

It's the best Dragon Ball forum. People here are focusing more on the manga & the original Japanese version. The whole community is awesome, there are smart people, most people here are mature, they know how to make a discussion, they know many things about the franchise, and most importantly, they don't focus on how legendary Broli is, or ask where they can see Dragon Ball AF or Hoshi. I can use here names like Yi Xing Long, and people will know what this is.
I'm in for lots of time in mornings, since I usually go out at nights. But whenever I use the PC, I always check if there is any new post on the forum. I open all the unread posts there are, and read what I care for.
Mostly in the In-Universe section, since I care to talk mostly about things like that. I don't have any means to by DVDs or manga volumes, nor do I care about any action figures or merchandise. I can hopefully buy video-games though. :)
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Why did you sign up, and what keeps you here? Was it word-of-mouth? The website itself? Or perhaps you were lurking and saw something that you just had to respond to? And in any event, do the friendly staff and shonen atmosphere make you glad you did?
I discovered Daizex during it's downtime (I was probably googling something DB-related, though this was 04 so it could've been aol search at that time) and was curious so a little while after it was revived, I joined.

Yes, I'm so happy I joined; this is the best Dragon Ball forum around. It's got a fantastic atmosphere.
I used to post regularly, then over the course of the past couple years I slowed down to a semi-lurking mode as interesting (to me) new DB news became scarcer. And then a new 2-D animated movie was announced and suddenly I'm posting more in the past two days than I have in the past two weeks. Depending on the details of the movie that may be revealed on Saturday, I could potentially be out of lurker mode and back into regular poster.

I check in at least a couple times a day, and this is typically my first stop on my daily internet rounds. :3
General Discussion. When it comes to Dragon Ball talk, I'm very meta nowadays. I want to know about the news surrounding the franchise. I like behind-the-scenes stuff. While my most-posted-in-topic was the one theorizing on the then-upcoming-lam, I'm pretty theorized out right now. Unless there's enough new details to work with, I don't speculate. My in-universe talk was more confined to another DB forum that kinda died down, and now when I do talk in-universe, I mostly do it on DeviantArt. I've lost interest in the yearly videogames, at least the Sparking-style ones anyway. A new 3DS game would probably be enough to get me to make the plunge to buy a 3DS though (I've got an old chunky red DS that I've used forever). And fan-created works I check into almost solely to keep up with TFS stuff.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:56 pm

I think I originally signed up because I enjoyed the site, which I found randomly several times before but it didn't have parodies, silly gifs and other stuff that I found at "Vegeta Insane" and other sites so I didn't think much of it when I was a kid. I loved the manga and really wanted to watch the series again and I was going to get youse guys to help me with what to buy and where, but then the season sets came out. You all seemed like the smart crowd at the time, you didn't discuss power levels, make stuff up, have ridiculous names like "SSJ9001Goku" or post "original characters" constantly, and most of the discussions are actually interesting, when they're not getting into weird personal stuff...
I only really go on General discussion, I try to avoid In Universe because there's some stuff that I don't even remember from the series. I like to see what's going on in the world of the fandom. I check every day, at some point I wouldn't even bother signing in, this was after the awesome boom of 2008/9 when we got Evolution, Dragon Ball Kai, Dragon Ball Z Abridged, Dragon Boxes, Daizenshuu, JSAT special, art books, guide books, etc. so it was like only video games were coming out now and Kai on DVD and BD in the USA, so I didn't really need to sign in as much.
Actually, I rarely have anything to add here, all I've ever really done that I remember is made loads of creepy Freeza avatars, a cool logo for the DaizEX Wiki at some point and a camera pan thread that I stopped contributing to.

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:44 pm

I was already lurking in the forum for a few months. So, I finally decided to log in. The neatness, nice people, proper grammer, DB news, and the urge to talk about Dragon Ball to someone for once kept me here.
How do you use this forum, and in what capacity?
I mainly use this fourm to post my thoughts on things, checking out fan-created works, and mostly interesting things. I go on here on a daily basis.
Where do most of your contributions fall, and why?
I mostly keep my posts to the General Franchise Disscussion section of the fourm. I just perfer to talk about the series in a meta sense. I also go to the Fan-Created Works section of the fourm to see what works fellow fans are creating (see what I did there?). I rarely go to the other topics. I feel like most in-universe topics are uninterseting. There's not much for me to contribute to the Music and Video Games sections of the forum that haven't already been contributed. That's pretty much it.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:37 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote: Why did you sign up, and what keeps you here? Was it word-of-mouth? The website itself? Or perhaps you were lurking and saw something that you just had to respond to? And in any event, do the friendly staff and shonen atmosphere make you glad you did?
Back in the day in mid-late 2000s, I was really getting interested in DBZ, and this was one of the best sites dedicated to it. I began listening to podcast and lurked for a while until I decided to join here. And yes, I love the friendly atmosphere here. However, what keeps me here are the mature rules that makes posting like a mature person and not a kid a good thing. This is the only, if not the only place where I can post and not worry about grammar and spelling, because these rules are strict here and I love how the moderators take their jobs seriously here. Something we lack in other forums.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:How do you use this forum, and in what capacity? How is your time spent here integrated into your daily routine? First thing in the morning, or a last look before bed? Do you spend as much time here as you'd like? Not enough, too much?
Now, I'm mostly lurking around. I don't have much to say as much as I used to when everything was new to me, but I post from time to time. In the past I was addicted to it, but not anymore.

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Where do most of your contributions fall, and why? Do you discuss the series proper, or just news relating to it? Are you a PWRLVL cruncher? Are you waiting for news of a new series? Do you post and putz all over the place, or generally stay confined to one particular subsection?
Mostly the General and In-Universe section. Third place is the Fan works section. I discuss when I have something to say or contribute. If I don't have anything to say, I don't bother posting.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:02 pm

I was listening to the Daizex Podcast religiously since when it started. For a year I would keep asking questions for them to answer on the show. It then dawned on me that I could just ask all the questions I wanted on their forum! I don’t remember if it was this forum I signed up for at the time that did this, but while I was awaiting approval, Mike asked me to tell me about myself. Remembering what I wrote, I was saying things like, “OMG I love Dragonball! I have like all the DVD’s! I am the number one fan! Broly is the best!” This site/forum helped me move beyond that in so many ways. I love that using proper grammar is enforced here. I can’t think of any other website I frequent that does that. I’m convinced that it’s the reason why I don’t use “txting” grammar online anywhere, even where proper grammar is not enforced. I’m also convinced that it’s the reason why one of my biggest pet peeves is seeing someone write the word “to” when they mean “too”. My grammar is still not perfect either, but I’m at least coherent…right? But I love the intelligent conversation. I love that everyone has sources to information they are talking about. That way I know the information is legit. When something happens with Dragonball, I know it first thanks to the site/forum. The only problem with the site/forum I can think of, is that it’s made me too knowledgeable of the show. It makes it hard to talk to people in the real world who claim they are Dragonball fans, because when someone tells me they love Dragonball, I get excited and start talking about all the in depth things we talk about here. But it turns out they’re just the casual fan who used to watch it on Toonami then moved on to other anime.
I’m always on the forums. Whether it be at work or at home. I even got in trouble at work at one point for being online too much. It was because my email and Daizenshuu EX forums were always left open throughout the day in my tabs. I guess I would classify myself as a lurker. I don’t really post much. And that’s only because if I feel like I have nothing to contribute to the conversation, then I won’t post anything at all. I mostly keep my eye on the General Discussion, Video Games, and Fan-Created Works sections. Then from there I look at threads that interest me.
I guess most of my contributions would fall under the Recent Purchases thread. I love having a giant collection! And the more unique the collectable, the better! Not only do I like collecting unique items, but I also like creating unique things with Dragonball. Such as my two Dragonball themed LittleBigPlanet levels and my crowd pleasing Dragonball AMV using a pop song based on the fun of DBZ, and not just the action.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Bluebolt
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bluebolt » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Presentation and layout of the site is astonishing. It felt very authentic. I also love the podcast, even though I don't know you all personally, I feel like we're all a big group together, heck I even got mentioned in a podcast (kinda) when I first came here.

Also this audience is very mature :)

Just looked at the number I've posted... it's gonna be a while. I feel cosy already.
Last edited by Bluebolt on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DORYA!

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:32 am

I only hit 2,000 recently myself, after 8 years. But my title doesn't change anymore. :cry:
I was a fan of the website, and I ended up hanging out in the chat room and the previous forum (not Tenkai; the little one after that). Then when Mike was first setting up this forum, he asked someone to register and make a test post, and I volunteered.

I had a few lengthy absences over the years, but they were rarely related to the forum itself. Overall, I've always liked the community and levels of discussion, and it more than makes up for the death of alt.fan.dragonball (which I haven't even had access to in years, but it was dying before that anyway). You would think there'd be nothing left to discuss after all this time, but as Mike also said, there's always something new and interesting popping up.

The staff are cool guys, too.
I always have a tab open, and I always check it at least a couple times a day. But some days are more active than others, depending on how busy I get with other things. Sometimes I end up with a big backlog of unread posts to go through because I postpone reading them until I have more time. Other times I might check for new posts multiple times an hour. I wish my routine was a little more consistent, but that goes for my life in general.
Lately I seem to get into a lot of discussions about translations and terminology, probably because I have a heavy interest in that in general. But my interests are pretty broad. I check every section regularly and have a genuine interest in reading most threads. I like music. I kind of like the games (I keep getting them as Christmas gifts!). I like news and meta discussions. I kind of like talking about Kai. I like seeing fan projects, and I accidentally got into Multiverse (though I still haven't read the first 200 or so pages).

But my favorite is probably In-Universe, because I love analyzing the story and the various elements of the Dragon Ball world. I even have a passing interest in strength discussions, but not enough to get directly involved in them anymore.
-Rachel

MisguidedGhost
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MisguidedGhost » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:15 pm

I signed up only recently after years of lurking mostly. There are just some things, mostly in-universe that I've thought about a lot that I figured the great community here was best equipped to answer and discuss. Said community definitely keeps me coming back, as well as the professionalism with which the site is run.
I still lurk for the most part, but that's because I guess I try to make sure most of my posts are "worthwhile," I suppose. I check the forum mostly at random parts of the day when I have time to check for interesting new topics.
Well, I admittedly have hardly any contributions at the moment, but I think I'll spend most of my time in the In-Universe section. I'm certainly interested in news on the series, but I just find it more fun to dig into and analyze the series. I have done some power levels in my spare time, but they were mostly for fun and I doubt I'd ever post one.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:59 am

I originally registered because I saw the great discussion going on on this message board and wanted to take part in it. I stay on this message board for a number of reasons, but the main reason is that I like to see what people have to say about recent news, or a specific subject. The staff certainly help the atmosphere of this place, because I feel like I can communicate intelligently on here, unlike many other places on the internet.
I lurk a lot these days. I do try to check the forum at least once a day, which is usually in the evenings.

I think I tend to spend enough time here. I used to come here all the time, but I have slowly limited my time spent on here. That is mainly due to the fact that I don't feel like I can really contribute to a lot of the discussions on here and that, really, the discussions would be better if I just stay out of them. I sometimes like to stay out of a thread just to read the fascinating debates people have on here. I only post if I feel I really have something to add to a thread.
I generally stay in the General Franchise Discussion, Fan-Created Works, and interestingly enough, the Website & Community Discussion. I mainly like to see people's opinions of recent news. I also sometimes go to the Music forum and In-Universe Discussion. I like to sometimes see what people have to say about an in-depth topic about the franchise. I guess you could say I "putz" around mainly.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:55 am

I was not going to sign up originally. I'm not a forum guy at all. This place had some great discussions on art styles which, everywhere else, never gets discussed. I found a lot of people sharing my opinions on how the art in the Demon JR arc was better than the new stuff. Not a very popular opinion around the net. I had to join in on the discussion! I love talking about that! News of Dragonball DVD's also got my interest.
I use it when I'm bored and that is often. Morning, night, midday... whenever! It's too addicting not to be on here!
General Franchise discussion.... wasn't there also a question sub-section back when I joined? I remember going on there a lot. There was a point where I didn't visit for a month and now that section is gone. Anyways, I could care less about In-Universe stuff. It's childish for me most of the time. I'm not interested in who is more powerful etc. I do admit that sometimes I'll check to see if an interesting discussion pops up in that section; plot holes or literary devices that keep the story moving or turning in different directions. That kind of stuff.
Fan-Works is another one I like to visit. I can give myself a little exposure in the dragonball community. Before I joined, my animation was linked to here wondering if I could animate some fan comic... :| I am a creative guy, I'm into the creative aspects of Dragonball mostly. Art and story telling is what I like to discuss the most.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:28 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
But... why are you HERE?
Because I love Dragon Ball, of course! :D
I signed up when I got back into the fandom through the video games. I hadn't played a Dragon Ball Z game in ages, but I bought a PS3 shortly before my birthday... last year, I think, and my sister bought me Burst Limit for my birthday which reignited my interest. I had so much fun between that and Raging Blast 2 that my interest in the series rekindled, and I joined this site so that I could talk about it more. At any rate, I'm really glad that I chose this forum. It's fantastically moderated, and during the 2 weeks downtime I ventured to other fansites and was horrified by what I saw. :lol:
I use my computer a lot, because even by Australian standards I live in bum-fuck nowhere so there's not much else around to do since most of my friends have moved away. As such, I spend nearly all the time I'm not sleeping periodically checking this site (among others).
Where do most of your contributions fall, and why? Do you discuss the series proper, or just news relating to it? Are you a PWRLVL cruncher? Are you waiting for news of a new series? Do you post and putz all over the place, or generally stay confined to one particular subsection?.
56% of my posts are in in-universe discussions! :D It's no surprise, I joined so that I could talk about the moments in the series itself. In particular, 18% of my posts are in the All Purpose Versus Thread. I'm not as interested in the general franchise discussion, but I check it out for news about things and some of the discussions there. Apart from this board and the two I just mentioned, I only check out the video games thread and fan-works thread. Truth be told I'm not that interesting in fan works, but there are a few I'm following. And as video games were what got me back into the fandom, I obviously have a keen interest in them. :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:46 am

whyBut... why are you HERE?
Dragon Ball, dragon ball, and more dragon ball. But what I'm really here for is the great and welcoming community. I love talking about dragon ball and it's fun to know that there's forum full of really chill and cool members who are just as obsessed with the series (probably more so than I am).

I was a lurking for about two years before I joined. Then finally I signed up in '08 because there was a thread going on (I don't remember which) I really wanted to add my two cents to. The rest is history. But what keeps me here is the community. I really like the members here.
I visit the forum in the morning, some times very often during the day, and at night before I hit the bed. My boyfriend often jokes that I spend way to much time on the forum. And he's probably right but it doesn't bother me.
I post a lot in the Fan Created Works section. I'm the artsy creative type so that's the part of the forum that really interest me the most. I don't care much for power level discussions or who can beat who versus battles. I tend to avoid those discussions.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:41 am

(Why did you sign up, and what keeps you here? Was it word-of-mouth? The website itself? Or perhaps you were lurking and saw something that you just had to respond to? And in any event, do the friendly staff and shonen atmosphere make you glad you did?)

I signed up because I had been following the main site since late 09 and I wanted to get even more into the online DB community.

(How do you use this forum, and in what capacity? How is your time spent here integrated into your daily routine? First thing in the morning, or a last look before bed? Do you spend as much time here as you'd like? Not enough, too much?)

I used to think I used this forum heaps until I saw user like Piccolo Daimaoh who had thousands of posts within less then a year. But I have to say I use this a forum a lot. I remember back in 2010 (probably when I used this forum the most) I thought 1000 posts was so far away. Then I just looked at my post count and realized I'm not that far off 1000. I don't really have a set time for when I post.

(Where do most of your contributions fall, and why? Do you discuss the series proper, or just news relating to it? Are you a PWRLVL cruncher? Are you waiting for news of a new series? Do you post and putz all over the place, or generally stay confined to one particular subsection?)

I post all over the place but mainly in GD.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:59 am

I can't remember what originally drew me to this site. Maybe Daizex was the most active Dragon Ball forum at the time and I wanted to show off how much I knew about the series and in particular the Japanese version to as many people as I could. Likewise, I can't remember why I was so keen to increase my post count. Maybe I wanted the street cred. Most of my posts probably weren't me showing off my uber knowledge but saying pointless shit like, "Yes, I agree." and "Actually, the kana spelling is ... ". Anyway, a lot of people have since overtaken me in number of posts.

What's frightful is that I actually had the time to post all that pointless shit. I must've given my teacher every conceivable excuse why I couldn't do my homework ("You see, sir, I was having dreadful spells of diarrhoea all weekend and unfortunately couldn't complete my homework"). Recalling this was probably what made me get on Daizex/Kanzeshuu/Kangetto again and see what I left in my wake. My life's obviously a little busier these days, but I enjoy coming here whenever I can as I still like the series. I now try to bring something insightful to the discussion and try to convince people by argument and not the coolness of my signature. :lol: