Why don't these forums expand?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Why don't these forums expand?

Post by Vice » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:10 pm

What I mean is why not include a general discussion board or anything like that?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Why don't these forums expand?

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:34 pm

We don't need to "expand" -- we have plenty to discuss from a wide range of friendly, international fans regarding Dragon Ball, things have never truly slowed down since this particular forum's original install back in 2004 (and other variants long before that going back to 1998), etc. etc. etc.

This is a Dragon Ball community through and through, and there is no need for anything other than that as a part of this forum. If you're interested in further reading, we have talked about the downfalls of other communities with so-called "off-topic" sections in other threads, and why we will not partake in that type of activity.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:16 am

If done right a off topic section would be great. The forum wouldn't turn into complete and utter chaos, it wouldn't lose it's focus on Dragonball and it especially wouldn't slow down conversation. The other main forum I go on has several off topic forums and the community is going stronger then ever.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:31 am

I think VegettoEX must've already said about a million times that there will never be an off-topic forum, so why don't you guys just give it a break? :roll:
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 am

I wouldn't expect new people to know it's been discussed. I'm not about to say "don't ask me these things!"

As you can probably tell from the deafening lack of conversation, the greater community seems to share my view -- there's no need for extra, "off-topic" discussion areas. Everything that I've seen from running a DBZ community for 14 years (and being parts of other communities before, during, and after... well, I guess not after since I can't travel to the future...) is that when you reach a community size of this magnitude, all "off-topic" areas seem to do is breed separate, distinct groups of members, cliques, etc. that at best add nothing to the greater mission of the community, and at worst detract from it significantly.

What are we here for? Dragon Ball. What do we want? Dragon Ball. What are you going to get? Dragon Ball. We're the best at what we do, and what we do is Dragon Ball. Snitkt.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Usually when I want to talk about other things I just hit up other Kanzenshuu members on Twitter. :)
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:34 am

I understand they VegettoEX want an off topic section, but I wouldn't mind one just to get to know people outside of their Dragon Ball knowledge. I don't have a Twitter account and I have no plans to get one, and the other "communities" of which VegettoEX mentioned (I assume we are thinking of the same one) went under primarily because of financial issues and poor moderation.

Even if there was no post count increase and VegettoEX was the one to make the topics, I don't think that would be an unreasonable compromise. But either way, it's up to him.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:02 am

ringworm128 wrote:If done right a off topic section would be great. The forum wouldn't turn into complete and utter chaos, it wouldn't lose it's focus on Dragonball and it especially wouldn't slow down conversation. The other main forum I go on has several off topic forums and the community is going stronger then ever.
That's true. But, from my own experience (which doesn't need to be true just because I say it), is that an off-topic/general section needs a lot of work when it comes to moderation.
They tend to generate a lot of topics which a lot of posts, which would mean the need for more mods.
Then, there is the potential tragic "death to the rest of the forum" occurrence that I have seen happen before. I have seen forums that only have activity in the off topic section.
And all that would not be great for the rest of the forum for those of us that are here to discuss Dragonball itself.

And I believe that the reason why Daizex/Kanzenshuu has been online for so long without any decrease in posters (in comparison to some other Dragonball forums that are all dead now), is that there is just enough moderators and content to keep it running, and also because of its focus on just Dragonball. Many forums simply shut down because of too high bandwidth costs, too much work and loss of interest in the main topics of the board.

But then, I could be wrong, it could go the opposite way too.
Kendamu wrote:Usually when I want to talk about other things I just hit up other Kanzenshuu members on Twitter. :)
Ketchup_Revenge wrote: I don't have a Twitter account and I have no plans to get one
You could use the IRC chatroom :) . Download a free client such as Pidgin, and you are ready to go. It's simple, and you get to discuss non-Dragonball topics with the members of the forum.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:49 pm

IRC chatroom is always dead most of the time. I think not having a off topic forum gives this place a charm, we could make a facebook group for Keanzenshuu members to post in and talk about anything. There was a off topic web forum for Kanzenshuu but it's dead and the only people that post in it are spam bots.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:IRC chatroom is always dead most of the time.
I think "dead" is a gross exaggeration. If you stare at the window constantly and expect constant chatter, then I suppose you'll be disappointed. But there's plenty of conversation. It's just sporadic. Most of the regulars just leave it open while they do other computer things, and then pop in and participate when they notice stuff or have something new to say.

I idle in a lot of channels, and ours is by far the most active of them. But I guess I could find more active channels if I really wanted to. (And I don't, because I definitely don't have time for more chatting nowadays.) Either way, I enjoy the fact that it's not too active to keep up with, but not a complete graveyard either.

On the other hand, I suppose the fact that the chat isn't super-lively is a sign that the community isn't as interested in off-topic conversation as people think they'd be.
-Rachel

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:13 am

I remember it was pretty active and it seems dead most of the time which is why I hardly go on it.
She/Her

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:26 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I remember it was pretty active and it seems dead most of the time which is why I hardly go on it.
I find that it also depends on when you log in. For me it seems most active before the US members are go to work/school and when they have returned from work/school.
For me who is in Europe, it seems dead because of that, but since I am a night owl, I have the opportunity to have a chat once in a while.
Granted, I haven't had much time to be on the chat in a long time, but I am really thinking about going back in there. There are some sweet conversations being held there.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:51 pm

I think the last time I regularly used the IRC chat was...back around the time the LAM stuff was happening? Maybe even further than that. I'm not sure what happened, I just kinda dropped off I guess? Oh! I know I was there a couple times back when Kai had first started airing. Also was there during not the most recent forum downtime, but the one before that. I really should stop by the IRC again when I have the time.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:16 am

Yeah, the mIRC was really active during Dragon Ball Kai. Even when Kai wasn't on we talked about other shows on during Sunday mornings like Pokemon Sunday or Super Hero Time. I haven't been on in a long while, but there was always quite a bit going on even when it wasn't a Saturday afternoon in the States.

I think Twitter has come to nicely fulfill a lot of what typically was spoken about in the chat.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:46 pm

I tend to check out the chat room around noon time and it seems like most people on it are never on. It's too bad the Daziex random forum died out.
She/Her

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:11 pm

I wouldn't mind having a general anime section here.
In a way, lots of different anime series are inspired from Dragon Ball, so even just a general anime section could be related to Dragon Ball to some degree.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:36 pm

If you have a discussion point about another series that relates to Dragon Ball, you have a valid discussion that you can already feel free to post here because it relates to Dragon Ball. There is no problem here.

If you want to talk about another series just because you want to talk about another series, no, this is not the community for it.

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Cool. You can ignore the thread I started then about the general anime section.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:38 pm

What I would like to have is a special section where we could talk about anything Toriyama-related, like Dr. Slump. That would be very nice.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:10 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Yeah, the mIRC was really active during Dragon Ball Kai. Even when Kai wasn't on we talked about other shows on during Sunday mornings like Pokemon Sunday or Super Hero Time. I haven't been on in a long while, but there was always quite a bit going on even when it wasn't a Saturday afternoon in the States.
We still do. Pokemon and toku are some of the most common topics in the chat.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!