Movie Reviews

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

doctahdawg

Movie Reviews

Post by doctahdawg » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:20 pm

Will there be any plans for a movie reviews section? I would like to see an authoritative opinion on the various DB/Z/GT movies and specials.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Movie Reviews

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:58 pm

doctahdawg wrote:Will there be any plans for a movie reviews section? I would like to see an authoritative opinion on the various DB/Z/GT movies and specials.
My review would normally just consist of "Buy them if you have the cash" ^^;;.

What exactly would you like to read about, with regards to the movies? If I had an idea on what to go on, I'd consider it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:03 am

I'd like to see in-depth summaries of the stories and your personal opinion on the films themselves, as well as on the subbing and dubbing quality. Mention what you like/dislike about the extras, if any. That's all I can think about.

Mind you I'm going more specifically into DVDs now, aren't I? :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:00 pm

Hell, Id be willing to contribute that if EX didnt want to. ^^

doctahdawg

Post by doctahdawg » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:50 pm

Dayspring wrote:I'd like to see in-depth summaries of the stories and your personal opinion on the films themselves, as well as on the subbing and dubbing quality. Mention what you like/dislike about the extras, if any. That's all I can think about.

Mind you I'm going more specifically into DVDs now, aren't I? :P
That sums it up. I would like to see an overall rating on the films (like a scale of 1-7 with 7 being the highest), which encompasses the films' content, music, action, etc.

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:34 pm

Dayspring wrote:dubbing quality.
I think we've already established a universal constant as far as VegettoEX and the Dragonball Z dubs are concerned. ;)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:02 pm

Magnaboss wrote:
Dayspring wrote:dubbing quality.
I think we've already established a universal constant as far as VegettoEX and the Dragonball Z dubs are concerned. ;)
:roll:

They're doing redubs all the time, these nuts, so maybe a movie will be good one day. A GOOD review will explain why the sub is better and if the dub's made any improvement in their VA, scrit, etc since the last movie.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:48 pm

While we're on the topic of movies, I noticed a mistake on the movie guide: http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~vegex/guides/movie_guide/
Note that the three television specials do not have Japanese cover art because they were never individually released in Japan, only as extras within the "Dragon Box" DVD sets.

Actually, the two DBZ tv specials were prevously released on VHS:

If something is wrong with how the pictures come out, it's because this is my first time using pictures in a post :P
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:46 pm

Dayspring wrote: :roll:
They're doing redubs all the time, these nuts, so maybe a movie will be good one day. A GOOD review will explain why the sub is better and if the dub's made any improvement in their VA, scrit, etc since the last movie.
Yeah, thanks for the sass. Look, if they went back and redid the first and second seasons to match up to the current English Version, aswell as the first three movies, what the hell kind of sense would it make to have films 12 and 13 any different from the consistency that's already been established and worked apon?

They're not "redoing dubs all the time!", they're redoing previously unmatched material so you can get the most out of it as far as consistent english dubbing is concerned.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:02 am

Son Goku wrote:Actually, the two DBZ tv specials were prevously released on VHS:
Common mistake, not helped by the fact that Planet Namek used those images in their "guide." Those are the pages in daizenshuu #6 ("MOVIES & TV SPECIALS") that introduce the respective TV specials. They're not covers... they're just pictures. Since there's no actual covers to use, they did their own thing for the title pages.

We wouldn't make a huge mistake like that, especially actually owning the books in question.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:17 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Common mistake, not helped by the fact that Planet Namek used those images in their "guide." Those are the pages in daizenshuu #6 ("MOVIES & TV SPECIALS") that introduce the respective TV specials. They're not covers... they're just pictures. Since there's no actual covers to use, they did their own thing for the title pages.

We wouldn't make a huge mistake like that, especially actually owning the books in question.
Sorry. The website I got those from said they were from a vhs version :P . Thanks for correcting me.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:29 pm

Son Goku wrote:The website I got those from said they were from a vhs version :P.
And this is exactly why we all need to learn to QUESTION everything we read on the silly interweb (hey, including the stuff we say, sometimes!).

denitonis
Beyond Newbie

Post by denitonis » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:47 pm

Well reviews can already be found on Animeondvd website including Dragon Ball, though the main reviewer didn't really like them since he was not very familiar with the show and the order they came out in apparently didn t help.
Now I must say that this main reviewer is a bit more positive about the re-issues of the Saiyan saga.

Finally I would like to say it would be nice to see some more positive reviews, especially when they show minor changes in discs themselves of the same version, like when 1 of the Trunks dvd's got 2 episodes extra, or the changes that seem to have been made in some of the Freeza dvd's menu.

Edit: Oops sorry I just realized it was actually only meant for the movies.
7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

Quoting one is plagiarism.
Quoting many is research.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:54 pm

I wouldn't mind movie reviews. I don't really watch the anime, but after reading some reviews I might get interested. After all, this is the only Dragon Ball website I visit nowadays.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.