A few of you -- and one in particular with a nine-hour car trip ahead of himself -- have asked recently what some of the "essential" podcast episodes to listen to might be. It could be for someone totally new to the listening experience and wants the best-of-the-best to get a feel for things, it could be for a longtime listener that wants to relive some of those best times, etc.
I have a few thoughts of my own, plus I recently asked on Twitter what a few folks thought. There were definitely a few recurring answers, so I'll just go ahead and assume those really resonated with people and are good recommendations!
C'mon now. "Manga Review of Awesomeness" is where it's at. We went through the entire manga volume-by-volume, recapped the story, gave all the different perspectives (new fan who's never read it, fan who's read some of it, fan who's read all of it in English, fan who's read all of it in English and in Japanese, and so on and so forth), analyzed, tore it apart... we had a wonderful few years. Plenty of you suggested this entire series back to me, and I'd agree. You've got hours upon hours of material to go back to and marathon. All of the episodes are listed on our "Podcast >> Reviews" page for easy reference.
A bunch of you suggested certain review-based episodes, which I was somewhat surprised about. I think some of the fun might be going back in time and getting an exact feeling of what the perspective and atmosphere actually was at that time. Some of the specific episodes suggested were:
- Episode #0328 - Battle of Gods
- Episode #0198 - FUNimation DBZ TV Dragon Box Vol. 1
- Episode #0172 - Dragon Ball Evolution – Part 2 (American Theatrical Release)
- Episode #0065 - FUNimation Remastered DBZ "Season 1" DVD Orange Brick Set (and I seem to remember Julian telling a story about getting stuck in the snow to start the episode...?)
While we haven't done a ton of them (they take a bunch of extra research and refamiliarizing!), our character-focused episodes seem to have a lot of love around here.
- Episode #0293 - Deconstructing Vegeta with Gaffer Tape
- Episode #0260 - Bulma character analysis
- Episode #0207 - Yamcha character analysis
- Episode #0073 - Why is Tapion so popular?
- Episode #0040 - Gohan character analysis
These are the ones I love the most: episodes that are totally timeless, because the subject matter has little-or-nothing to do with the time we recorded/released the episode. Retrospectives, interviews, story analysis, etc. All great times! Some of the ones that were suggested back to me, along with some of my favorites, were:
- Episode #0319 - Myself, Herms, and Kaboom talk about Gohan's hair for an hour (WHY IS IT GOLDEN ARGH?!). It's amazing.
- Episode #0311 - "Super Butōden" video game retrospective with myself and Joe/SpaceKappa
- Episode #0294 - What it was like to be a fan in 1997 as "Final Bout" (PS1) was hitting store shelves, a fun conversation between Meri and myself
- Episode #0259 - History of Dragon Ball VHS fansubs with Meri and myself
- Episode #0252 - "What the Hell just happened to Dragon Ball Kai…?" (right as the "refreshed" series was officially announced to be ending "early")
- Episode #0249 - Herms and I break down all the "Journey to the West" story adaptations in the DB series
- Episode #0235 - Myself, Meri, and Corey review the original (1993) "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans". They're ghost warriors? OH, OK THEN!!!!!!!!
- Episode #0190 - Ethics in fandom with Mike, Meri, Scott, and Jeff
- Episode #0052 - Interview with Steve Simmons ("Daimao"), translator of FUNimation's DBZ subtitle tracks