General Website Goofs/Errors

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Re: General Website Goofs/Errors

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:07 am

The new default theme is downright offputting. Even if it's a change forced on you guys by the forum host, the fact that they couldn't accommodate something more similar to the old look is incredibly disappointing.

Right off the bat -- having yellow usernames against a light background is unnecessarily hard on the eyes, the bigger font clips off the navigation text too early at the top, and these black borders around avatars seriously looks awful and actually limits what you can do with them, especially when it comes to transparent background avatars.

That's just based off browsing the forum for a minute or two. There are probably way more issues I'm not aware of yet.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:15 am

Marlowe89 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:07 amand these black borders around avatars seriously looks awful
I agree with this.

The rest is fine, I guess. I can get used to it.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:16 am

Yalos wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:44 am I forum keeps auto-scrolling up. How can I disable this?
I checked on my laptop and it doesn't autoscroll there, but the autoscroll is present on my regular computer and my phone. Very weird

Edit: While i'm using phone, to autoscroll happens only when i'm logged in

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lek » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 am

"Mark topics read" does not work reliably for me. It triggers the colors to change within a section, but as soon as I return to the Board index, the whole section is back to unread, even though there are no new post. When I click on the section again, even the threads I've just finished reading are marked as unread again.

edit: using the dark theme

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:28 am

To be clear, there is no "forum host" making any demands; we operate our own server and software for the entire website, forum included. That being said, the existing theme was not compatible with the latest software upgrade required for the forum.

We appreciate the feedback, and we are indeed receptive to it. Everything is always a work-in-progress, and while we do work on a test server to see how things will work, obviously it's a different beast once it goes live on the real site/forum (especially one of this size) and folks with all sorts of different hardware get their hands on it. We'll keep adapting and tweaking as we continue to use it ourselves, in addition to things in line with your own feedback.

Thank you as always to Heath ("Hujio"), who spends an insane amount of time doing the necessary coding, designing, and implementation to keep things updated and running smoothly. As a reminder, Kanzenshuu is not actually a job for any of us*, and stuff like this is all done in the off-hours alongside vomiting children all of our other website work; we thank you for your understanding as we keep plugging along.

(*That's not an excuse, but rather an explanation that many people don't seem to know!)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:32 am

I'm not really sure how I feel about this new format. It's gonna take some time getting used to.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:34 am

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:28 am To be clear, there is no "forum host" making any demands; we operate our own server and software for the entire website, forum included. That being said, the existing theme was not compatible with the latest software upgrade required for the forum.

We appreciate the feedback, and we are indeed receptive to it. Everything is always a work-in-progress, and while we do work on a test server to see how things will work, obviously it's a different beast once it goes live on the real site/forum (especially one of this size) and folks with all sorts of different hardware get their hands on it. We'll keep adapting and tweaking as we continue to use it ourselves, in addition to things in line with your own feedback.

Thank you as always to Heath ("Hujio"), who spends an insane amount of time doing the necessary coding, designing, and implementation to keep things updated and running smoothly. As a reminder, Kanzenshuu is not actually a job for any of us*, and stuff like this is all done in the off-hours alongside vomiting children all of our other website work; we thank you for your understanding as we keep plugging along.

(*That's not an excuse, but rather an explanation that many people don't seem to know!)
Hey VegettoEX, do you have a solution for the very specific auto-scroll problem I encounter?
The forum keep auto-scrolling up only when I'm logged in on my computer or phone. My laptop works fine

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:34 am

I don't have anything to share (especially since I'm not the one responsible for coding any of it!), but it's noted and I'm sure Heath will do everything he can. Thanks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:46 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:32 am I'm not really sure how I feel about this new format. It's gonna take some time getting used to.
I think that with a few small tweaks, it can be entirely palatable, to be clear. It's just one of those cases where a lot of minor nagging issues really add up.

I'm glad the staff has acknowledged our, or at least someone's, feedback.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:48 pm

For those with complaints and suggestions, I completely understand. There are definitely still some changes and alterations coming. For a bit of backstory, I did not have as much time as I had hoped to get this all prepared. Upgrading the forum is something I always dread, especially to a minor or major version update of the software, because it is such a pain in the ass. The upgrade last night took over 5 hours and I actually had to re-install the forum entirely from scratch (i.e. I didn't even have time to create a proper intro post with all this info, like I usually do). I only ask that people put up with some these issues over the next few days while I sort everything out. Please do still provide some input, as I will try to incorporate as much as I can into the next update, but I also request it remain constructive. Thanks!

For those with auto-scrolling issues, please try performing a hard refresh (Ctrl + F5) and let me know if that helps. I'm assuming the forum may be pulling in some code from the old layout that is cached on your machine/phone. As far as I'm aware, there's no auto-scrolling programmed into this layout.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:20 pm

Can confirm that clearing the cache fixed the auto-scrolling issue on my end.

Appreciate the help and hard work, Hujio.

Edit: Not sure if I "confirmed" too soon, still experiencing problems on that front but they seem less frequent now. Maybe a browser compatibility issue? I'm using Chrome.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Marlowe89 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:20 pm Can confirm that clearing the cache fixed the auto-scrolling issue on my end.

Appreciate the help and hard work, Hujio.

Edit: Not sure if I "confirmed" too soon, still experiencing problems on that front but they seem less frequent now. Maybe a browser compatibility issue? I'm using Chrome.
I'm using Chrome as well, and I cleared the cache and it's still happening.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:25 pm

I am also experiencing the Auto Scroll issue, and the Control F5 didn't work.

I will note that the auto scrolling did not happen when I went back a page. It only happened on the most current page

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:29 pm

I don't mind the changes so far, I only really have one point of critique in that the icons for posts are kinda hard to distinguish as thin circles. It makes it really difficult to tell the difference between a read thread and one with new posts. I'm also not sure what the difference is between a red circle and a red circle with an asterisk, but that's another matter. My suggestion would be to have thicker lines for any "unread new posts" icons to make them more visually distinct against the read posts grey circle icon.

I'm using Firefox and not encountering the auto scroll issue. I think the avatar boxes look nice (the blue ones are handy for identifying important people), although I will say it doesn't quite work with mine!

Also, I was initially confused as to why the "Back to the main site" link was removed in the Shenron banner, but I just found that it's what the "Home" link is in the white banner just underneath it!

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:49 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:29 pm I don't mind the changes so far, I only really have one point of critique in that the icons for posts are kinda hard to distinguish as thin circles. It makes it really difficult to tell the difference between a read thread and one with new posts. I'm also not sure what the difference is between a red circle and a red circle with an asterisk, but that's another matter. My suggestion would be to have thicker lines for any "unread new posts" icons to make them more visually distinct against the read posts grey circle icon.

I'm using Firefox and not encountering the auto scroll issue. I think the avatar boxes look nice (the blue ones are handy for identifying important people), although I will say it doesn't quite work with mine!

Also, I was initially confused as to why the "Back to the main site" link was removed in the Shenron banner, but I just found that it's what the "Home" link is in the white banner just underneath it!
The asterisk means that you have made a post in that thread, just like in the Previous Version of the Forum, regardless of if it is read or not.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:56 pm

simtek34 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:49 pmThe asterisk means that you have made a post in that thread, just like in the Previous Version of the Forum, regardless of if it is read or not.
Huh, I never noticed that!

One minor thing that I've noticed is that when quoting something, the [stuff] boxes are on their own lines, and a double-space is inserted below the quote. I'll be fixing that in my quote replies for the rest of my life! It's such a dumb minor thing, but could an option be included to remove those things?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:29 pm

I think it looks better on my phone than on my laptop. I don't mind the dark grey box because I honestly thought my current avatar needed borders anyway, but didn't bother to go back and make one for it since it would mean having to either shrink the avatar or cover up parts with the box lines.

One thing I do miss on the mobile version though is because the text for each set of threads is bigger it means there's less text on screen meaning I have to scroll down more to see all the threads in a subforum and it's additional repetitive thumb movement that's not fun; it's not a big deal or anything, just mildly frustrating.

I like the idea of green and orange as splash colors, but I do wish there was a higher level of contrast between them and the light greys of the forum. Maybe make the green and orange both darker shades so they stand out more?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:40 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:32 am I'm not really sure how I feel about this new format. It's gonna take some time getting used to.
Indeed it takes time to get used to any changes to any forum, but I have been threw many myself on other forum and you will not only over time but sooner then you think get used to it, but you will honestly wonder how you go one before the new updates, so It all ends up good Dragon Ball Gus my friend! :thumbup:

I honestly like the new Updated look, has a more Vibrate feel to it! It feelings Energetic and Friendly, I like it, Nice Work Kanzenshuu! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lek » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:25 am

When I jump to a certain post (e.g. first unread) the top banner covers part of it. I think the forum software does not take into consideration that it would need to add the height of the banner.
This happens on both dark and light themes, as well as in multiple browsers.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:18 am

Can confirm I'm having the same issue as Lek.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.