State of the Kanzenshuu: Wiki Status Update

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

State of the Kanzenshuu: Wiki Status Update

Post by Hujio » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:07 am

As it's been quite a while (nearly a year?!) since my last "State of the Kanzenshuu" post, I figured it's about time I provided some sort of status update. Over the past year I've been jumping back and forth between site/forum-related duties and sparingly working on the wiki, but in the last few months or so I've been sinking some more serious effort into the wiki. So here's where we sit as of 01 January 2015.
  • Install Wiki Software -- COMPLETE (100%)
  • Setup Wiki Software -- COMPLETE (100%)
  • Create Kanzenshuu Wiki Layout -- COMPLETE (100%)
  • Bridge w/ Site & Forum -- COMPLETE (100%)
  • Establish Help Pages -- IN PROGRESS (60%) -- Will be further developed during pre-launch beta testing.
  • Establish Wiki Policies & Guidelines -- IN PROGRESS (90%)
  • Establish Style Manual -- IN PROGRESS (95%)
  • Create Page Layout Templates
    • Book Page Layout -- PLANNED (0%)
    • Cast & Staff Page Layout -- COMPLETE (100%)
    • Chapter Page Layout -- COMPLETE (100%)
    • Character Page Layout -- COMPLETE (100%)
    • Company Page Layout -- COMPLETE (100%)
    • Episode Page Layout -- COMPLETE (100%)
    • Feature Page Layout -- COMPLETE (100%)
    • Game Page Layout -- IN PROGRESS (25%)
    • Item Page Layout -- PLANNED (0%)
    • Location Page Layout -- COMPLETE (100%)
    • Movie Page Layout -- COMPLETE (100%)
    • Music Page Layout -- PLANNED (0%)
    • Technique Page Layout -- COMPLETE (100%)
  • Image Preferences -- COMPLETE (100%)
  • Establish Navigation/Structure -- IN PROGRESS (75%)
  • Establish User Rights/Restrictions -- IN PROGRESS (50%)
The current plan is to launch the wiki as soon as we complete these tasks, and I plan on updating them here as I go. Tentatively I'm shooting for a launch in the winter/spring of 2015, but that's all pending on any additional troubleshooting or general life/work stuffage. However, before the official launch to the public we're planning on getting members of the community more involved to help polish things up and generate content. A limited number of members will initially be granted editing and publishing privileges, and depending on how things go we'll expand from there. At the moment we haven't determined exactly how we'll select who will be granted access, so don't bother asking just yet.

Over the next few weeks we'll be posting some of the layouts in the Staff Help Requests section for everyone's review and input. Of course we'll keep plugging away on our end to get things up and running as soon as we can.

Thanks to everyone for your patience! For those curious, here are a few preview screen shots from experimental pages we've started:

Image Image Image
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Ajay

Re: State of the Kanzenshuu: Wiki Status Update

Post by Ajay » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:10 am

This is looking so badass.

Can't wait for this to launch and replace the current abysmal wiki.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:19 am

Splendid work chaps. If I may be an anal crackerjack, can we [as a community agree to] add a year or citation to the staff picture? "Akira Toriyama (198X, Picture Source)" right below the picture. It's something I've seen on a few Wikipedia articles and always feels like a nice little addition. Thanks!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:22 am

We sure can. At the moment it's just included as a comment with the picture file, but we should also post it on the page itself. I'll make a mental note of that.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:45 am

This is looking really, really good. Thanks for putting in so much hard work!

I didn't know you guys were going to be providing so much information on American dubs/translations. There's even an option to display the American title pages and title cards. I think it's a nice balance. I'm glad the Wiki will be prioritizing the original Japanese version above all else, but little touches like that will make the site more accessible to "casual" American fans without being off-putting to the purists. Very nice touch, and it makes the Dragon Ball Wiki even less relevant. Thanks for also noting the correct aspect ratios on the episode pages, too.

I really don't have any suggestions; the whole thing looks great!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:03 am

It's looking good so far, happy to see an update. I don't know a whole lot about the process or the technical stuff, but to me it seems like so much is done already. Seeing the tabs used for the info boxes makes me wonder, though, will the tabs also be used on the articles themselves? For example, the Bleach wiki uses tabs on Ichigo's page here to separate the main article from sections like quotes, battles, etc and Jojo's Bizarre Encyclopaedia uses tabs in a similar way on Jotaro's page here. Is this something you've decided on and wouldn't mind telling us at this time?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:11 am

Just noticed that we're using multiple tabs for the comic chapter title pages. I guess since we're including the Viz chapter title page we'll have to include the Full Color Comics page? What about the original Weekly JUMP title pages! :P
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:19 am

This all looks amazing! From what you've shown, it looks like you're making great headway. I find your choice in having wiki privileges be an exclusive matter, even amongst members to be a wise choice. I was initially worried that the wiki could potentially vandalized by less than friendly accounts who may have a bone to pick with the new wiki on the block.

As for members who don't have the privileges but would like to help out, perhaps we could establish a single thread or even an entire forum section dedicated to wiki maintenance and discussion?
JulieYBM wrote:Just noticed that we're using multiple tabs for the comic chapter title pages. I guess since we're including the Viz chapter title page we'll have to include the Full Color Comics page? What about the original Weekly JUMP title pages! :P
That'll be quite the number of tabs there! :P
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:31 am

Insertclevername wrote:This all looks amazing! From what you've shown, it looks like you're making great headway. I find your choice in having wiki privileges be an exclusive matter, even amongst members to be a wise choice. I was initially worried that the wiki could potentially vandalized by less than friendly accounts who may have a bone to pick with the new wiki on the block.
I think this was cleared up some time ago, but I agree that it is a wise choice. I'd go as far as to say it's the only reasonable choice for a wiki's editing privileges, even.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:34 am

Insertclevername wrote:This all looks amazing! From what you've shown, it looks like you're making great headway. I find your choice in having wiki privileges be an exclusive matter, even amongst members to be a wise choice. I was initially worried that the wiki could potentially vandalized by less than friendly accounts who may have a bone to pick with the new wiki on the block.

As for members who don't have the privileges but would like to help out, perhaps we could establish a single thread or even an entire forum section dedicated to wiki maintenance and discussion?
I agree with this 100%! It's nice to see Dragon Ball finally get a proper wiki. If there's any way I can contribute I'd love to help. most likely would be via the method Insertclevername suggested.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:22 am

I'm also inclined to agree that there should be a help thread, so more members can be more involved. You know the famous quote, "Giving is more happiness than there is receiving"? :)

I will be looking forward to seeing the completion of the Dragon Ball wiki. I would be more than happy to help if needed. I have more than enough knowledge of the Japanese version (either anime or manga), so if you need me to help here and there, I'm all for it.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:56 am

Oh, I missed that suggestion. Seconding everyone thoughts on that, it's a really good idea.

ricecake
Beyond Newbie

Post by ricecake » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:51 am

Looking very nice! Maybe I'm missing something, but even though the manga says what episode it corresponds to, and the episode says what manga chapter it corresponds to, I don't see the chapter number on the manga page, nor the episode number on the anime page.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:41 am

Oh man, I'm so hyped for this! Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I do have some questions though:

1) You've said "I'm shooting for a launch during winter/spring 2014." So it could be done as early as March-ish or as late as a year from now? Or did you mean as early as next year and as late as spring 2015?

2) As far as integration into the website is concerned, I fully support Kanzenshuu having a brand new section devoted to the discussion of the articles. That way even members who aren't given early editing privilege can bring an issue they're having to light to be discussed and then potentially integrated. Do you see something like this in the future?

3) According to VegettoEX, with the launch of the wiki there might be a call for a large donation to help jump-start the project. Can we get a best estimate on how much money will be needed, and future plans on funding an even larger website?

Thanks! Please keep working hard!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:15 am

It's tough to tell in terms of finances. It's basically just going to add more pages and more CPU resources, which we'll have to allocate to the entire server as a whole... which, obviously, costs more money.

I'll be honest when I say we're barely scraping by when it comes to donations covering costs right now pre-wiki. I'm hesitant to toss out exact figures because it can vary month to month based on traffic, but it's just not there. I do worry about being able to casually pull in the funds to cover the cost of the wiki on top of the site and forum as it is without being SUPER blunt and up-front about it, which I personally find very hard to do, and would personally find very off-putting to hear. I'm too utopian about it, I guess.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Saiga wrote:Seeing the tabs used for the info boxes makes me wonder, though, will the tabs also be used on the articles themselves? ... Is this something you've decided on and wouldn't mind telling us at this time?
At the moment I'm leaning toward not going too crazy with the tabs. I'd like to keep the majority of the information on the page visible to the reader. The less clicking to find information the better.
JulieYBM wrote:I guess since we're including the Viz chapter title page we'll have to include the Full Color Comics page? What about the original Weekly JUMP title pages! :P
As of now I'm drawing the line on how many tabs we'll allow for title pages and cards. I don't want them stacking up on each other, especially from an aesthetics perspective; it just looks bad. There will some debate as to what title pages we'll include, but we'll cross that road at another time.
Insertclevername wrote:As for members who don't have the privileges but would like to help out, perhaps we could establish a single thread or even an entire forum section dedicated to wiki maintenance and discussion?
That is one idea that's been tossed around. It's definitely something I'm considering, but I haven't discussed it with the other admins yet.
ricecake wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but even though the manga says what episode it corresponds to, and the episode says what manga chapter it corresponds to, I don't see the chapter number on the manga page, nor the episode number on the anime page.
That's because you aren't seeing the whole page, just the information box. I can't give too much away. :D
Tyro wrote:You've said "I'm shooting for a launch during winter/spring 2014." So it could be done as early as March-ish or as late as a year from now? Or did you mean as early as next year and as late as spring 2015?
I meant this current winter, but in all honesty it will more than likely be this coming spring (March-May 2014). If we were to do anything this winter, it would more than likely be a partial open to selected community members.
Tyro wrote:According to VegettoEX, with the launch of the wiki there might be a call for a large donation to help jump-start the project. Can we get a best estimate on how much money will be needed, and future plans on funding an even larger website?
Like VegettoEX said, it's gonna cost more money, plain and simple. Unfortunately, none of us are too fond of asking for your money, and most people don't think to donate until we mention it. We have thrown around the idea of doing some sort of fund raiser, but I think we'll have a better idea of what to expect financially the first month we launch. As of right now, on average, if 20 people donated $5 we could cover the server for a month. In the meantime I'm looking into some alternative solutions, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:11 pm

This is looking great so far, I especially like the fact that it is going to note the official English titles for episodes and manga chapters, regardless of how accurate or inaccurate they might be as a translation. It's going to make this the perfect reference tool for anyone and everything, just like I hoped it could be.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:16 pm

This is looking badass! Such greatness. This seems like a great wiki.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:40 am

"Remember the old DB Wikia?

Well kiss it goodbye!!"
:lol:

We should really launch some sort of advertising campaign for Kanzenshuu, haha.

Really appreciate the time and effort that's been put into this. It looks absolutely amazing- the page layout for the episode/Manga guide is particularly neat (although the episode guide is missing the Blue Water dub, but no biggie). Can't wait to see the current DB Wikia crumble when this launches.

I like the idea of only allowing a limited number of members to edit the Wiki at first. I'll be very interested to see how these members will be chosen, but I have a pretty good idea of who I'd want to see contributing to it.

Keep up the good work! I don't think any other Dragon Ball fan community could pull this off as well as you guys will! 2014 can't come fast enough. Great way to celebrate 30 years of Dragon Ball and 25 years of Dragon Ball Z! :thumbup:

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:12 am

It looks like it's coming along great! I can't wait until the launch! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)